Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Weapons, shooting, guns.

Started by Tracey, March 22, 2018, 06:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I Am Jess

I like my guns and enjoy going to the range and shooting them.  I've taught all of my kids how to properly handle and use firearms.  I qualified expert in the military and am still a pretty darn good shot.  I have semi-automatic handguns and rifles and bolt action rifles.  I have a number of shotguns as well.  I have AR's in 5.56 and .300 BLK (I load my own rounds using my old 5.56 cartridges). I really love the .300 BLK because it so versatile. I have subsonic rounds as well as target and hunting rounds.   
Follow my life's adventures on Instagram - @jessieleeannmcgrath
  •  

SashaHyde

I'm a really good shot also. I'm also hoping I get better the more the estrogen beats down my T.
I've heard the Israelis really like women for snipers.
--Sasha  :P
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: Gertrude on March 22, 2018, 07:55:48 PM
I'm not a competitive person. I didn't play sports in school and I don't gravitate towards such things. With shooting, I liked to hand load my ammo  and get the best performance for precision and accuracy's well as terminal ballistics.  It's similar with cars or motorcycles and performance. If you're into drag racing, it's more about making small improvements and finding out what works best, not about winning or recognition, at least for me.

You know I'm not really in it to beat others (though I don't mind when I do) but mostly for the challenge of extremely difficult shooting while under pressure. I never was into sports either, this just makes a hobby of mine more interesting.

I used to do a lot of hand loading as well and still have a couple of presses, I just haven't had time to do it for the last few years.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Anne Blake

I have fired various weapons over the years, started with 22 bolt action single shots as a kid, 9 mm pistols and 12 gauge shot guns shooting trap. I had been thinking about getting a concealed weapons permit and begin carrying for protection since transitioning.....but I still have bad periods of emotional lows and kind of prefer not to have a weapon within reach during the darker hours. This is just my issue, I have no problem with others having weapons if they can safely handle them.

Tia Anne
  •  

amandam

I was raised around them, so were my kids. To me they are just tools. I would conceal carry but in San Diego County you can't get a permit easily.
Out of the closet to family 4-2019
  •  

Cassi

When people are properly educated and trained, firearms are great.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

softbutchharley

softbutchharley is my screen name. Go figure huh ?  lol !!! I love my weapons and I love sport shooting. I am a regular at Ladies Day at the local range. I was raised around weapons and shooting sports. My SRS doctor in Miami turned down one of my pics for his site cuz it was with a Ruger mini 14 modified that I love. Oh well. He prefered runway model pics anyway...sometimes I think he had a lil harem going down there !!!  ROTFL !! I had a range built at my farm in Texas before moving back home here to Florida. I guess that answers that question eh ? Is it ok for a girl to like shooting sports ? My friends from my old motorcycle riding group sure think so. All female group and about half with CCL :) Great topic and ty for posting it !!!
Those who deny freedom to others....Do not deserve it for themselves.  Abraham Lincoln
  •  

softbutchharley

ooops....dual post here, but I forgot to mention...My partner owns a couple weapons and the 3 of us (with daughter) shoot together when we can. :) Just bought her a Ruger bull barrel MK IV in stainless for Christmas :)
Those who deny freedom to others....Do not deserve it for themselves.  Abraham Lincoln
  •  

softbutchharley

Moderator is gonna get me for posting here LOL !!! As a matter of fact, I believe that 70-80 % of my entire neighborhood owns weapons...That's it for me on this one. TY
  •  

Jin

Somebody shoots at me, I wanna shoot back.

Like Donald J. says: "It's not a gun control issue, it's a mental health issue." One of the few things I agree with him on.

Biggest gun I ever shot was 5"/54 naval cannon!
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam.
-- Popeye

A wise person can learn more from fools than a fool can learn from a wise person.
  •  

LaRell

I too have been quite a gun lover for most of my life.  At my peak, I think I owned 25 guns.  About 5 of those evil AR15's a couple AK47's a Smith and Wesson 500 revolver which was amazing!  One of my favorite guns was my Marlin 336 chambered in .450.  That thing would about break my shoulder every time I would fire it.  But between the pain and the $4.50 per shot, I did not shoot it very much at all.

I even made a video one time where I did the whole Mary Poppins bag thing.  Where I had what looked like a tiny little bag sitting on the table, and I proceeded to reach inside it and one by one pull out every one of my guns.  All 25 of them out of that tiny little bag.  I thought it was pretty clever funny, but my very anti gun wife just about divorced me when she saw it.   

Just because I am now living life mostly as a woman, does not mean that I all of a sudden give up my love for things like that.  I had my concealed carry license in almost every state in the country for many years, and now more than ever see how carrying as a transwoman could at some point save my life.  But my wife is so dead against guns, if she so much as sees a random round of ammo sitting somewhere in my garage she is scared to death of it like it's gonna jump up and kill her or something.  I have not been able to carry ever since getting together with her around 4 years ago.   

My ultimate dream as someone else here said, was to own a Barrett .50 cal.  That was always my ultimate goal.  When I added one of those to my collection, I would have felt complete......for a few months.

I had Glocks, Springfields, Smith and Wessons, .45's .40's, 357 magnums, 22-250's, 30-30's, .450's, .223's of course, an AR15 that I built chambered in 7.62X39 so it could share ammo with my AK47's.  Yeah.......I was a bit of a gun fanatic.  But all I EVER used them for was target shooting, and just appreciating the art and beautiful designs and hard work that went into building them.  I have never shot a single living thing in my life.  And never plan to unless it is attacking me.

LaRell

Quote from: amandam on March 23, 2018, 12:59:46 AM
I was raised around them, so were my kids. To me they are just tools. I would conceal carry but in San Diego County you can't get a permit easily.

Yes, I used to live in California but happened to live up in the north east part in a practically shall issue county so it was very easy to get a permit, and then I was able to carry all over the entire state.  But I used to be on the internet forum CalCCW and would always feel bad reading about peoples negative, super long drawn out stuggles of trying to obtain one in San Diego County. 

My all time favorite every day carry gun was my Glock 30 which is one of the few guns I still own today.  That thing has been the absolute most reliable, trustworthy gun I have ever owned.  I have never had a single failure to fire, failure to feed, jam, or anything else.  So you can probably understand why it was the one that I trusted to carry all day every day.  It has traveled around the country with me, and been to Los Angeles and San Diego and San Francisco with me many times. 

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: softbutchharley on March 23, 2018, 09:52:31 AM
Moderator is gonna get me for posting here LOL !!! As a matter of fact, I believe that 70-80 % of my entire neighborhood owns weapons...That's it for me on this one. TY

As I mentioned in an earlier reply, everyone, literally everyone here in my small town has a gun/firearm or two or three.   I don't go hiking or walking outside on the trails here without a side-arm..... we have bears, cougars, and other nasty critters all over.   When I take out the garbage or compost out in the evening, I make lots of noise and have my revolver with me.

.... as a result, there are literally no gun crimes to speak of around here.... no home invasions, no armed robberies, no muggings, etc, etc.
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on March 23, 2018, 10:52:20 AM
As I mentioned in an earlier reply, everyone, literally everyone here in my small town has a gun/firearm or two or three.   I don't go hiking or walking outside on the trails here without a side-arm..... we have bears, cougars, and other nasty critters all over.   When I take out the garbage or compost out in the evening, I make lots of noise and have my revolver with me.

.... as a result, there are literally no gun crimes to speak of around here.... no home invasions, no armed robberies, no muggings, etc, etc.

No Lions or Big Foot???????
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: LaRell on March 23, 2018, 10:47:09 AM
  Yes, I used to live in California but happened to live up in the north east part in a practically shall issue county so it was very easy to get a permit, and then I was able to carry all over the entire state.  But I used to be on the internet forum CalCCW and would always feel bad reading about peoples negative, super long drawn out stuggles of trying to obtain one in San Diego County. 

My all time favorite every day carry gun was my Glock 30 which is one of the few guns I still own today.  That thing has been the absolute most reliable, trustworthy gun I have ever owned.  I have never had a single failure to fire, failure to feed, jam, or anything else.  So you can probably understand why it was the one that I trusted to carry all day every day.  It has traveled around the country with me, and been to Los Angeles and San Diego and San Francisco with me many times.

In California it's a control the masses thing.  One of many reasons I left!  Here in Nevada which is even more open than Texas, all I have to do is strap it on but honestly after carrying one for so many years, I really prefer not to.  That said, if the life of my family or me is in danger I have no qualms in defending my family and myself. 

It wasn't too long after my wife passed away that I found out that I was one of the victims of wikileaks that identified me and my home address info. 

There are enough crazier than me people in the world and I had told my daughter that if she ever ever heard me yell the word drop to hit the floor no matter where is was at.

On the good side, she mentioned about going on a cruise or traveling and I commented on the Wikileaks issue and she says, but you're not him anymore, lol.

As sad as it may be, people with the intent to do evil in their hearts will.  McVey didn't have a gun.  911 hijackers didn't have guns.  And that cult up in Oregon or Washington that tried to kill off the residents with the veggies didn't have guns.

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

DawnOday

Alaskan Danielle...Beg to differ but Alaska is the 2nd most violent state per capita. At 636 violent crimes per 100,000 residents. The only state with a higher violence rate and no it is not Illinois, is Louisiana followed my a handful of other Southern states, Maybe in your neck of the woods it seems safe. Nobody is threatening to take weapons away other than military type weapons. As to registration? You register cars, boats, for classes, purchases for warranty, Facebook, Google
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Devlyn

Let's stick to shooting and the weapons themselves, please? Thanks.

There are Legal and Political subforums for those who want to have those discussions. I don't.
  •  

Cassi

Peace Out Sisters and Brothers!!!!!
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

softbutchharley

Yep....lived in Palmer AK for a while...familiar with common sense out and about roaming...and fishing those rivers and creeks ;)  My fav right now is still my SW mdl 39 in nickle with pearl handle. very pretty lil thang ;)  Also my SW mdl 59 in nickle with same grips. My mini 14 is dead on at 200 yards and I love shooting it. I took my Remington 7mm mag to Alaska with me when I thought I might want to shoot a moose, but changed my mind when I realized folks would give me moose they had  lol !!!  My partner loves her Ruger MK IV I got her, super accurate and fun to shoot. I have a small collection  (5?) of hammerless colts from the 30'2 and 20's . I LOVE those lil pups :) They are such a historical piece. I call them Elliot Ness handguns cuz of the time they were made and in all those old gangster movies you see them. AND you can switch out the 380 to 32 barrels on them :) I used to hunt and trap in Texas and as a youngster here in Florida, and have an appreciation for wildlife and marine life that is keen. I stopped hunting deer cuz at my farm they would hang out in the yard and I just got to feeling it's too easy to "hunt" them. My peeps here in Florida keep me supplied with venison/hog/alligator...so I still get game to eat which my home enjoys. I stopped bird hunting cuz that was all about the dogs and the human/animal interaction and cooperation. I used to field trial retrievers. I have no trained dogs now, and bird hunting without a dog is not an interest for me as well as it's not a sound conservation move with no dog. I do not conceal carry. I try to avoid places and situations where I could be in a problem, tho sometimes stuff just happens. Like a cop once said when I got a speeding ticket "..why do you have that pistol on the seat ? (in a case) . Cause I've been shooting and coming home says I. Correct answer says he....."  :) my point on that matter :) My next weapon on my list is a Ruger mini 30 . The 7.62 cartridge has shown very good reviews with that rifle. It's easily customizable. Ammo fairly cheap ( tho my air force friends seem to have an endless supply) . And the Mini 14 I have has been flawless since I got it. I like Ruger tho years back I saw them as a come lately, they produce a quality firearm. lata peeps :)
  •  

Cassi

You're bringing back memories.  My first "personal" service revolver was a S&W 357 Combat 19 and load was semi-jacketed hollow points instead of carrying the .38 the department issued.  I definitely was in violation of department policy but felt that if it came to the point where I had to use it and was still alive afterwards I'd deal with the paperwork.  Then came the 9mm which were new and approved for purchase and use.  So much easier to clap in a clip versus using speedy loaders, lol.  Back-up was a 2" Colt Detective special with grip extension

Now it a 2" chrome .357.  When I first obtained this one my daughter was so excited because it was so small, lol  but then when the 357 loads she didn't want to even touch it and that is even true to this day. 

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •