Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Weapons, shooting, guns.

Started by Tracey, March 22, 2018, 06:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deborah

I have a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag I got in Alaska in case I ever ran across an angry grizzly.  When I was later teaching my daughter to shoot she refused that one after seeing the flames leaping out from the barrel.  Instead she said she preferred shooting the small pistol, my .45 ACP, LOL.  She was a pretty decent shot too and got all the rounds on paper, enough to stop a bad guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Cassi

Mine is still okay with the 9mm but won't even touch the 357.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

SonadoraXVX

Hmmmm, gives me an idea, to convert one of my AR's to a 22LR configuration, cash is pretty tight nowadays. Trying to do it with the 9mm Hi Power, but Ciener Inc, does not have the conversion kit in stock for them yet  :(

One day, I tell myself, I'll move to a more gun friendly state, maybe Washington.
To know thyself is to be blessed, but to know others is to prevent supreme headaches
Sun Tzu said it best, "To know thyself is half the battle won, but to know yourself and the enemy, is to win 100% of the battles".

•  

Cassi

Quote from: SonadoraXVX on March 24, 2018, 01:04:13 AM
Hmmmm, gives me an idea, to convert one of my AR's to a 22LR configuration, cash is pretty tight nowadays. Trying to do it with the 9mm Hi Power, but Ciener Inc, does not have the conversion kit in stock for them yet  :(

One day, I tell myself, I'll move to a more gun friendly state, maybe Washington.

Nevada, Texas, etc.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Chloe

*sigh* Two(2) Humpback Browning Auto 5s, a 50yr old Ithaca lever action single 22 (kid's size) , , ,

and very much want Henry's Big Boy Silver .357 Mag/.38 Spl !
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Cassi on March 23, 2018, 10:31:18 PM
Yeah kids!!!!!
They're as expensive as transisioning.
More expensive and at time more painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on March 23, 2018, 11:02:32 PM
I have a "Police s&w model 10 snubnose and I love it... it is heavy duty and will handle +P ammo. A few years ago I bought a ruger model 101 snubnose .357 magnum... I sold it because it was very tough on my hand.. it was a very light revolver and had a very hard kickback that dug into my hand... might have been good for a defensive round or two but plinking and practice not so good.
I owned a model 15 at one time. Very slick action. I also had 4" colt python. Never should have traded it. It would have been worth 8x what I paid for it now. I also had a Dan Wesson 44V 8" with a pivoting shoulder rig. That was a monster. Then there was the first government model I bought. Shot it so much in the first 2 months the front sight came off. I had a gold cup in 38 super too. Now I just have a hi power and commander in 45, stainless frame, blue slide.

•  

Gertrude

Quote from: Cassi on March 24, 2018, 01:09:43 AM
Nevada, Texas, etc.
Arizona is even closer than Texas and more gun friendly than either.

•  

Deborah

New Mexico is not bad either.  It was my second favorite place I ever lived.

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

DawnOday

I have an Arisaka type 99. Rifle of the Japanese army. So be careful when breaking in to my house. I'll club the heck out of you and attach a bayonet. Please stand still as I operate the bolt. This may take a while.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Deborah

For home defense I think the best weapon is a shotgun.  Just racking the magazine in the dark may scare them away and if not they don't take as much skill to aim.  There's also less chance of penetrating walls and hitting an unintended person.

Here is my "assault" [emoji12] shotgun.  I actually got it in Alaska after being out with some Eskimos who carried 12 gauges for bear defense.  This one is also very easy to carry slung and has a seven round magazine.  The barrel is short but still legal.

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Deborah on March 24, 2018, 10:38:26 AM
For home defense I think the best weapon is a shotgun.  Just racking the magazine in the dark may scare them away and if not they don't take as much skill to aim.  There's also less chance of penetrating walls and hitting an unintended person.

Here is my "assault" [emoji12] shotgun.  I actually got it in Alaska after being out with some Eskimos who carried 12 gauges for bear defense.  This one is also very easy to carry slung and has a seven round magazine.  The barrel is short but still legal.

Totally understand your comment about "racking".  Back in my patrol days I'd prefer to ride shotgun instead of driving.  Nothing made the bad guys ruffle their britches faster than the racking the riot gun.

Years later I modified my Mossberg with a pistol grip stock, doesn't fold in like your's but somewhat alike.  Even had the sense of humor to add a scope light :)
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Cassi on March 24, 2018, 10:58:55 AM
Totally understand your comment about "racking".  Back in my patrol days I'd prefer to ride shotgun instead of driving.  Nothing made the bad guys ruffle their britches faster than the racking the riot gun.

Years later I modified my Mossberg with a pistol grip stock, doesn't fold in like your's but somewhat alike.  Even had the sense of humor to add a scope light :)

I took my optional Pistol Grip off of my Mossberg and reinstalled the regular stock....  with a pistol grip and firing Magnum shells, I could easily lose muzzle control plus it hurt my hand... and my stomach if I didn't hold on tight....  regular loads were kinda OK.
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on March 24, 2018, 11:30:34 AM
I took my optional Pistol Grip off of my Mossberg and reinstalled the regular stock....  with a pistol grip and firing Magnum shells, I could easily lose muzzle control plus it hurt my hand... and my stomach if I didn't hold on tight....  regular loads were kinda OK.

Good point.  I haven't figured in the effects of no longer being a manly man who can rack a shotgun single-handedly and shot it :)
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Deborah

I never shot mine without the stock extended.  But I bought it for a single purpose; easy carry and a last resort at close range against giant bears.  In that case the pain from shooting it is insignificant compared to the pain of being eaten.

In the home it's length might also be advantageous at close quarters in confined spaces.

If I ever need a shotgun for actual hunting I have another regular one that's very long.

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Deborah on March 24, 2018, 11:48:13 AM
I never shot mine without the stock extended.  But I bought it for a single purpose; easy carry and a last resort at close range against giant bears.  In that case the pain from shooting it is insignificant compared to the pain of being eaten.

In the home it's length might also be advantageous at close quarters in confined spaces.

If I ever need a shotgun for actual hunting I have another regular one that's very long.

Good points, rather being able to mend then dead.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Northern Star Girl

I love this subject and the thread replies.........

.... BUT we sound like such "men" here....

to keep focused perhaps we need to get back to shoes, dresses, hair, makeup, cooking and sewing!!!!  J/K

Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

Megan.

This is probably quite tame for most here, being in the UK, the only hun I saw growing up was my uncle's shotgun on his farm gunning for pheasants.
I shot a '45 pistol in Las Vegas at a range, it was good fun, and I was surprised at how easy it was. I'd happily have a go at some bigger stuff, or try out the challenge of some long-range targets.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Cassi

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Kendra

I have lost all interest in firearms and got rid of all my hardware, but back when I was married (1990s) my wife was on the cover of Women & Guns Magazine.  She was modeling a concealed carry purse.
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •