Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Weapons, shooting, guns.

Started by Tracey, March 22, 2018, 06:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deborah

When I got my paratrooper beret my wife was shocked.  She told me that at the time ROK paratroopers had a reputation as a bunch of gangsters.  I'm not sure how true that really was. 

When I was there all the ROK soldiers had a serious reputation with us as all being as hard as rocks (big compliment).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Mountain Warfare Girl

Quote from: Miharu Barbie on March 25, 2018, 12:06:11 PM
I am so glad to see this conversation here. I could use some advice. I've been gun shopping lately; it's time to add a concealable semi-auto handgun to my little collection. I've more or less got my heart set on a Sig Sauer P320. (I prefer the original version, prior to the trigger upgrade. The upgrade increased the trigger pull by around a quarter inch; no thank you to that!)

My question is this.  Do any of you have experience with Sig Sauer?  Are they good, dependable weapons?  Should I be looking at other makes and models? I'm looking to get into a small to medium frame 9mm with light trigger resistance and a reputation for reliability.

You all make me feel proud to be a trans woman!  Thank you!

Love,
Miharu

Sigs are great guns my primary CCW pistol is a old Sig P245 and I'm saving up for a P320 X9 or X45 with the red dot right now
  •  

Mountain Warfare Girl

Quote from: Deborah on March 25, 2018, 01:55:55 PM
These are my two Berettas.  The top one is a 92F (9mm) and as about the same size as a M1911 .45 cal.  The bottom one is an 85 BB in .380 auto.  That one is a lot smaller and is about the smallest I can go and still fit my hand comfortably.  It's plenty small for an easily concealable holster or a bag but is marginal to fit in a pocket.  Unfortunately, this model is not made anymore.

For concealment I found that the most important thing is a quality holster.  I had a custom fit inside the belt holster made by Milt Sparks and with it I had no problems concealing a large frame .45 cal under a t shirt.  The holsters you can buy off the rack in stores do a much poorer job at both concealment and comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you looked at Cross Bread holsters ? Wen I'm working I carry a full sized 1911 using a super tuck you can't tell it so there under a tucked in polo shirt
  •  

Mountain Warfare Girl

Quote from: barbie on March 25, 2018, 02:34:44 PM
I am not so much interested in guns, but I was being trained with that M-60 machine gun and the M-16 rifle about 30 years ago here (S. Korea). Roars from the M-60 were enough to terrify me. Probably the M-60 is less lethal than the M-16, but I thought that the thundering noise of the M-60 can cause a tremendous psychological effect. I needed earplugs.

At that time, most ROK soldiers carried the K-2 or K-1 rifle, which are lighter and shorter than the M-16. Some of them were once exported to the U.S. (e.g., Max 2 rifle). My son is now in the obligatory military service, and should carry the K-2.

The most concern in the army here is any accidental gunfire, not an attack from N. Korea. The total number of bullets should be kept accountable, whether they are filled or empty. If any officer lost his pistol, it was reported to the headquarter, bringing dozens of criminal investigators, as potentially it can be used to assassinate the president or other important political leaders. A joke at that time was that you have better lose a man rather than losing a pistol in the army. I once heard that even all honey buckets within the unit were emptied to find the lost pistol.

barbie~~
The M60 is much more powerful then the M16 the M16 is only a .223 going 2800 FPS and the M60 is a .308 going 2700fps
  •  

Cassi

Well!  I don't want to be on the receiving end of any of them!  Cute avatar btw.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

SonadoraXVX

I heard the SIG's are the cadillacs of pistols, like the S&W's as the cadillacs of revolvers and so forth(own Ruger GP100(sturdy frame) and Taurus snubby revolvers(minimum sturdy frame), some of the best craftsmanship. You cannot go wrong with SIGs. Cheapest I will go is with the Browning Hi-Power 9mm(great pedigree, reliable, and affordable, own one, not any other pistol). I also heard the Polymer wonders are stupendous, aka Glocks. SIGs and Glocks, are great selections(great pedigrees, expen$$ive, reliable).

Great Mountain Warfare Girl is starting up a training company for self-defense  :D, which co caters to the LGBTQI community, sorely needed for our niche community :).

You can't go wrong with SIGs or Glocks.
To know thyself is to be blessed, but to know others is to prevent supreme headaches
Sun Tzu said it best, "To know thyself is half the battle won, but to know yourself and the enemy, is to win 100% of the battles".

•  

barbie

Quote from: Mountain Warfare Girl on March 25, 2018, 06:26:27 PM
The M60 is much more powerful then the M16 the M16 is only a .223 going 2800 FPS and the M60 is a .308 going 2700fps

Yes. The M60 is much more powerful than the M16. But the M16 was more lethal because it was rifled with right-hand twisted 6 grooves, whereas the M60 was with 4 twisted grooves. I heard that international law prohibited using rifles with 6 twisted grooves in wartime battles. The AK-47 also had 4 grooves.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Deborah on March 25, 2018, 03:10:40 PM
When I got my paratrooper beret my wife was shocked.  She told me that at the time ROK paratroopers had a reputation as a bunch of gangsters.  I'm not sure how true that really was. 

Yes. Some of them still look like gangsters in their uniform at their age of 60 or more. People don't like their appearance so much.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: barbie on March 26, 2018, 08:30:27 AM
Yes. The M60 is much more powerful than the M16. But the M16 was more lethal because it was rifled with right-hand twisted 6 grooves, whereas the M60 was with 4 twisted grooves. I heard that international law prohibited using rifles with 6 twisted grooves in wartime battles. The AK-47 also had 4 grooves.

barbie~~

Wow, no.  The number of grooves has nothing at all to do with lethality.  There are a few laws (the Hague convention of 1899 in particular) that ban hollow point or other expanding bullets for most wartime use but there are no laws regarding the construction of rifle barrels that I am aware of. 

They are both more than capable of killing people, the M60 just does it better at longer ranges due to the larger cartridge it fires.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: SonadoraXVX on March 26, 2018, 04:34:07 AM
You can't go wrong with SIGs or Glocks.

Or CZ for that matter.

I really want to like Sigs but they just don't fit me.  Glocks work well for me, but nothing fits me quite like a CZ or a Tanfoglio clone thereof.  I dearly love my 75b, P09, and Stock II.
  •  

Miharu Barbie

Thank you ladies for the purchase advice.  Your Berettas are beautiful, Deborah.  I handled a few current model Berettas, but I found that the slide release was too hard on my thumb (tearing at my skin.)  The Sig Sauer has a nice, comfortable tension on the slide release, and the overall balance feels good to my hand and wrist, even with a full magazine.

I think I will move on the Sig P320 9mm.  Thanks for the holster advice too.  You all rock!

Love,
Miharu
Free your mind and your arse will follow

HRT:                         June 1998
Full Time For Good:     November 1998
Never Looking Back:  Now!
  •  

LaRell

Quote from: DawnOday on March 24, 2018, 10:04:59 AM
I have an Arisaka type 99. Rifle of the Japanese army. So be careful when breaking in to my house. I'll club the heck out of you and attach a bayonet. Please stand still as I operate the bolt. This may take a while.

I have one of those as well that my Grandpa brought back with him when he was in the Navy.  It still has the somewhat coveted chrysanthemum on top of the received that the Japanese wanted ground off if the guns were going to be taken.  Arisaka Type 99.  It was hanging in his gun wrack my entire life, and I always admired it.  So when he died, it came to me.

Devlyn

Quote from: LaRell on March 26, 2018, 12:14:57 PM
I have one of those as well that my Grandpa brought back with him when he was in the Navy.  It still has the somewhat coveted chrysanthemum on top of the received that the Japanese wanted ground off if the guns were going to be taken.  Arisaka Type 99.  It was hanging in his gun wrack my entire life, and I always admired it.  So when he died, it came to me.

I got one for my bestie Dave, my boss had it. Mum intact, cleaning rod, bipod, aircraft sights, not duffle cut.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Miharu Barbie on March 25, 2018, 12:06:11 PM
I am so glad to see this conversation here. I could use some advice. I've been gun shopping lately; it's time to add a concealable semi-auto handgun to my little collection. I've more or less got my heart set on a Sig Sauer P320. (I prefer the original version, prior to the trigger upgrade. The upgrade increased the trigger pull by around a quarter inch; no thank you to that!)

My question is this.  Do any of you have experience with Sig Sauer?  Are they good, dependable weapons?  Should I be looking at other makes and models? I'm looking to get into a small to medium frame 9mm with light trigger resistance and a reputation for reliability.

You all make me feel proud to be a trans woman!  Thank you!

Love,
Miharu

@ Miharu:   I might be a little late to throw in my 2 cents worth here but I will give it a "shot"... so to speak!!! LOL

Regarding trigger pull, for the less than accomplished shooter a light and shallow trigger pull may not be the best thing...  it could be too easy to fire off a round when you are nervous or shaking... if you are really in trouble another half pound pull and a little more trigger travel may be better and safer.

The small frame semi-automatic pistol that I chose to conceal carry for myself is the Ruger LC-9.  It was a Christmas Present to myself since I went full-time so I got the pink version.... I could never have a pink gun in my old life!!!!

It comes with a neat little zip-up pouch.  Because of it's small size (3" barrel) and it's concealed hammer and rounded edges, the gun fits nicely in my purse and doesn't get hung up on other things in there.  It is a double-action only, which means that you don't have to fool around with pulling out the slide which can be a problem and a delay in a nervous crisis situation...  It will also fit easily and invisibly into my coat pocket when in cold weather and active situations when I am not lugging around my purse.
So, that is what I chose for myself for concealed carry. 
When I  conceal-carry when participating in activities such as hiking, running, jogging, etc... I will have my gun concealed in a belt bag or fanny-pack. 
I have also carried larger guns on a hip holster and in larger bags but this little Ruger is my favorite...  I suppose it might be because it is pink?  ???
Any questions please ask.
Danielle

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on March 26, 2018, 01:47:45 PM
@ Miharu:   I might be a little late to throw in my 2 cents worth here but I will give it a "shot"... so to speak!!! LOL

Regarding trigger pull, for the less than accomplished shooter a light and shallow trigger pull may not be the best thing...  it could be too easy to fire off a round when you are nervous or shaking... if you are really in trouble another half pound pull and a little more trigger travel may be better and safer.

The small frame semi-automatic pistol that I chose to conceal carry for myself is the Ruger LC-9.  It was a Christmas Present to myself since I went full-time so I got the pink version.... I could never have a pink gun in my old life!!!!

It comes with a neat little zip-up pouch.  Because of it's small size (3" barrel) and it's concealed hammer and rounded edges, the gun fits nicely in my purse and doesn't get hung up on other things in there.  It is a double-action only, which means that you don't have to fool around with pulling out the slide which can be a problem and a delay in a nervous crisis situation...  It will also fit easily and invisibly into my coat pocket when in cold weather and active situations when I am not lugging around my purse.
So, that is what I chose for myself for concealed carry. 
When I  conceal-carry when participating in activities such as hiking, running, jogging, etc... I will have my gun concealed in a belt bag or fanny-pack. 
I have also carried larger guns on a hip holster and in larger bags but this little Ruger is my favorite...  I suppose it might be because it is pink?  ???
Any questions please ask.
Danielle

Love your pink pistolla!  If I had a pink one I'd just have to have my nails the same color :)

Your "squeeze" comment brought back memories for me.  In USMC Boot Camp we left the Recruit Depot and went to Camp Pendleton's Edson's Range for rifle training.  The DIs had loosen up on their craziness and we were primarily under the direction of PMIs or Preliminary Marksmanship Instructors.  Of course two of many key issues was breathing and squeezing.  The PMI couldn't do much to control my breathing but place a thumbtack on the trigger.  Seemed to work for me, lol, because I qualified expert (M-14) but when my DI found out about the thumbtack he went crazier - didn't like his recruits injured.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on March 26, 2018, 09:26:29 AM
Wow, no.  The number of grooves has nothing at all to do with lethality.  There are a few laws (the Hague convention of 1899 in particular) that ban hollow point or other expanding bullets for most wartime use but there are no laws regarding the construction of rifle barrels that I am aware of. 

They are both more than capable of killing people, the M60 just does it better at longer ranges due to the larger cartridge it fires.

Yes. You may be right. The number of grooves does not seem to be directly related with the lethality, and I guess it was a wrong theory in the 1970s. Nevertheless, the M16 and its variants (AR-15 and M4) were considered inhumane compared to AK-47 and others, because of fragmentation of the bullet inside of the human body.

"These wounds were much larger than those produced by AK-47 and they were so devastating that many considered the M16 to be an inhumane weapon."

"International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) pp. 1–18: Those who consider the M16 inhumane include; the International Committee of the Red Cross, Austria, Argentina, Belgium, Bolivia, Bulgaria, Burundi, Cambodia, Cyprus, Germany, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mauritius, Mexico, Romania, Samoa, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, etc."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_AK-47_and_M16#Terminal_ballistics

The bullets of the M16 (or M4) were smaller than those of the AK-47 or the M60, but they were more damaging.

https://www.shadowspear.com/2016/06/why-id-rather-be-shot-with-an-ak47-than-an-m4-contains-graphic-images/

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Cassi

Grooves are for stabilizing the projectile and for better accuracy.  The M-16 round was made to have a slight wobble so when it hit, it caused more damage.

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: barbie on March 26, 2018, 06:33:26 PM
Yes. You may be right. The number of grooves does not seem to be directly related with the lethality, and I guess it was a wrong theory in the 1970s. Nevertheless, the M16 and its variants (AR-15 and M4) were considered inhumane compared to AK-47 and others, because of fragmentation of the bullet inside of the human body.

"These wounds were much larger than those produced by AK-47 and they were so devastating that many considered the M16 to be an inhumane weapon."

"International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) pp. 1–18: Those who consider the M16 inhumane include; the International Committee of the Red Cross, Austria, Argentina, Belgium, Bolivia, Bulgaria, Burundi, Cambodia, Cyprus, Germany, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mauritius, Mexico, Romania, Samoa, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, etc."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_AK-47_and_M16#Terminal_ballistics

The bullets of the M16 (or M4) were smaller than those of the AK-47 or the M60, but they were more damaging.

https://www.shadowspear.com/2016/06/why-id-rather-be-shot-with-an-ak47-than-an-m4-contains-graphic-images/

barbie~~

Yes that's the reason they're effective, the bullet does fragment. It's limited by velocity so it won't do that at long range.

The irony of the list of nations calling this inhumane is that it's filled with nations currently fielding weapons shooting the exact same cartridge.
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on March 26, 2018, 07:15:54 PM
Yes that's the reason they're effective, the bullet does fragment. It's limited by velocity so it won't do that at long range.

The irony of the list of nations calling this inhumane is that it's filled with nations currently fielding weapons shooting the exact same cartridge.

True: "Do As I Say - Not As I Do"
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

SonadoraXVX

Great point by Alaskan Danielle, almost forgot about it, subconsciously knew about this,
Forgot I was brainwashed into the single action pistol design(Hi Power/M1911A1) by the govmint. Double action in a life and death/badly injured situation, cannot be beat, hammerless(without the hammer exposed is great too), just point and shoot. Reason when I got exposed to the revolver(after I left the govmint, never before), I was like, WOW, no chambering  a round in the breech, walking/riding around with my hammer on safety with a round chambered, waiting for an accidental discharge(AD) on govmint old rickety M1911's/new HiPower.

Main point:
Double action-just point and squeeze, round goes off.
Single action-rack a round into the chamber(hoping one is in there/with safety on), or racking the slide and chambering a round, but you got to practice this lotsa times(live ammo/caution), with the weapon you intend to use, too much work.
To know thyself is to be blessed, but to know others is to prevent supreme headaches
Sun Tzu said it best, "To know thyself is half the battle won, but to know yourself and the enemy, is to win 100% of the battles".

•