Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Weapons, shooting, guns.

Started by Tracey, March 22, 2018, 06:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gertrude

Quote from: Deborah on March 25, 2018, 01:55:55 PM
These are my two Berettas.  The top one is a 92F (9mm) and as about the same size as a M1911 .45 cal.  The bottom one is an 85 BB in .380 auto.  That one is a lot smaller and is about the smallest I can go and still fit my hand comfortably.  It's plenty small for an easily concealable holster or a bag but is marginal to fit in a pocket.  Unfortunately, this model is not made anymore.

For concealment I found that the most important thing is a quality holster.  I had a custom fit inside the belt holster made by Milt Sparks and with it I had no problems concealing a large frame .45 cal under a t shirt.  The holsters you can buy off the rack in stores do a much poorer job at both concealment and comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 1911 is very dense and kind of heavy for its size. If one lives in hot climes, it's not the easiest to conceal. Smith makes a shield m&p subcompact in 45 that's a lot lighter and smaller. Same with Springfield armory. The Beretta is a well made pistol. So are the CZs.  I'd prefer them to the striker fired stuff. I don't care for the trigger reset. That said, no other auto feels as right in my hand as a 1911. John Browning knew what he was doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: SonadoraXVX on March 27, 2018, 05:52:05 AM
Great point by Alaskan Danielle, almost forgot about it, subconsciously knew about this,
Forgot I was brainwashed into the single action pistol design(Hi Power/M1911A1) by the govmint. Double action in a life and death/badly injured situation, cannot be beat, hammerless(without the hammer exposed is great too), just point and shoot. Reason when I got exposed to the revolver(after I left the govmint, never before), I was like, WOW, no chambering  a round in the breech, walking/riding around with my hammer on safety with a round chambered, waiting for an accidental discharge(AD) on govmint old rickety M1911's/new HiPower.

Main point:
Double action-just point and squeeze, round goes off.
Single action-rack a round into the chamber(hoping one is in there/with safety on), or racking the slide and chambering a round, but you got to practice this lotsa times(live ammo/caution), with the weapon you intend to use, too much work.
Condition one doesn't bother me too much. If I was going DA, I'd prefer a pistol with a hammer and decocker. My brother has two glocks and they're perfectly functional, but I didn't like the trigger reset and the Mattel feel. A Sig 250 might be ok.

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: SonadoraXVX on March 27, 2018, 05:52:05 AM
Great point by Alaskan Danielle, almost forgot about it, subconsciously knew about this,
Forgot I was brainwashed into the single action pistol design(Hi Power/M1911A1) by the govmint. Double action in a life and death/badly injured situation, cannot be beat, hammerless(without the hammer exposed is great too), just point and shoot. Reason when I got exposed to the revolver(after I left the govmint, never before), I was like, WOW, no chambering  a round in the breech, walking/riding around with my hammer on safety with a round chambered, waiting for an accidental discharge(AD) on govmint old rickety M1911's/new HiPower.

Main point:
Double action-just point and squeeze, round goes off.
Single action-rack a round into the chamber(hoping one is in there/with safety on), or racking the slide and chambering a round, but you got to practice this lotsa times(live ammo/caution), with the weapon you intend to use, too much work.

@ SonadoraXVX:    Thanks for your insights on this.   Exactly my experience, thanks for sharing. 
One final point regarding semi-auto pistols....  there are a lot of women that because of small hands, limited hand and arm strength (or other issues) can not quickly and easily pull back the slide to chamber a round to get ready to blast off a round and/or rounds in semi-auto fashion.  Leaving a round chambered with the hammer back "locked and cocked".... and safety on... always bothered me a great deal.   

With the hammerless concealed hammer or bobbed hammer on a double-action, like we agreed, if a round is chambered all you do is point and shoot.... no cocked hammer to worry about and no issues with having to pull back the slide to chamber a round.

I have always felt that in a single action handgun that "locked and cocked" was dangerous and just waiting for an accidental discharge. Same kind of logic applies with double-action revolvers versus single-action.   

In my opinion the double-action feature of pistols and revolvers being able to just point and shoot is usually the very best and safest option for a occasional shooter that is most interested in self-protection.

Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

Deborah

I used to carry my 1911 with the hammer back.  It was designed to be carried that way with its safety system and I never felt that it was dangerous as long as the pistol was carried in a decent holster.  If the pistol is in proper working order then the hammer won't drop unless one's hand is on the grip.  I always figured that if I was carrying it then the only time my hand would be on the grip is if I wanted it to fire, quickly.  Hammer back also gives the advantage of a light first trigger pull and a more accurate shot.

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Deborah on March 27, 2018, 09:52:23 AM
I used to carry my 1911 with the hammer back.  It was designed to be carried that way with its safety system and I never felt that it was dangerous as long as the pistol was carried in a decent holster.  If the pistol is in proper working order then the hammer won't drop unless one's hand is on the grip.  I always figured that if I was carrying it then the only time my hand would be on the grip is if I wanted it to fire, quickly.  Hammer back also gives the advantage of a light first trigger pull and a more accurate shot.

Yes Deborah, you are very correct about all of those things.  A well disciplined and accomplished shooter can use all of that to their advantage..... I think that most of us on this thread have handled a single action semi-auto pistol like the 1911 and understand that it and others like it are great guns in the hands of practiced users.

.... now, enter the novice and very occasional shooter
that has purchased a gun primarily for self protection as is the case for many women and non-shooting trans-women and men.....  if they are in a situation that calls for a self-protection action... they will be nervous and shaking no doubt.... the very last thing they should have is a light trigger-pull, racking the slide and chambering a round and worrying about a cocked hammer and safety that can get hung up on something.
In conclusion, like any mechanical device, computer, guns, cars, etc.......  the accomplished user can take advantage of advanced features and more complex operation.... 
.....but in my opinion, the novice will cope better and be safer with simplicity.... I would always recommend concealed or bobbed hammer, double action in both pistols and revolvers.

.... Deborah, many thanks for your insight on this,
Danielle

•  

Deborah

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on March 27, 2018, 10:17:54 AM
Yes Deborah, you are very correct about all of those things.  A well disciplined and accomplished shooter can use all of that to their advantage..... I think that most of us on this thread have handled a single action semi-auto pistol like the 1911 and understand that it and others like it are great guns in the hands of practiced users.

.... now, enter the novice and very occasional shooter
that has purchased a gun primarily for self protection as is the case for many women and non-shooting trans-women and men.....  if they are in a situation that calls for a self-protection action... they will be nervous and shaking no doubt.... the very last thing they should have is a light trigger-pull, racking the slide and chambering a round and worrying about a cocked hammer and safety that can get hung up on something.
In conclusion, like any mechanical device, computer, guns, cars, etc.......  the accomplished user can take advantage of advanced features and more complex operation.... 
.....but in my opinion, the novice will cope better and be safer with simplicity.... I would always recommend concealed or bobbed hammer, double action in both pistols and revolvers.

.... Deborah, many thanks for your insight on this,
Danielle
Yes, I agree with you on those things.  I may be in the minority here but I don't think anybody, without exception, should be able to own or carry any pistol or revolver without first obtaining certified training and qualification.  Things like military or law enforcement service might meet those requirements.  Many states already have that requirement to obtain a carry license.

I can't see how anyone could argue that this requirement would abridge their rights.  It seems to me that "Well Regulated" infers some minimum level of training.

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Deborah on March 27, 2018, 09:52:23 AM

Pretty much. I use a Bianchi #7 IIRC.

•  

Gertrude

Quote from: Deborah on March 27, 2018, 10:34:03 AM
Yes, I agree with you on those things.  I may be in the minority here but I don't think anybody, without exception, should be able to own or carry any pistol or revolver without first obtaining certified training and qualification.  Things like military or law enforcement service might meet those requirements.  Many states already have that requirement to obtain a carry license.

I can't see how anyone could argue that this requirement would abridge their rights.  It seems to me that "Well Regulated" infers some minimum level of training.

When I got my CCW in NY at 19, I had to take a county police run course and qualify with their gun. In iowa, I took a course at a private company owned and run by a Des Moines detective and I had to qualify with my gun(I used my high power), but it didn't seem as rigorous as the first one 29 years earlier. That said, it's done. There probably should be refreshers required every 5-10 years anyway. It covers laws too. In Israel, I believe you have to take a psych test to get a ccw and to renew.

•  

Deborah

In Georgia all you have to do is pay the fee; no training is required.

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Deborah on March 27, 2018, 04:12:12 PM
In Georgia all you have to do is pay the fee; no training is required.

Alaska's laws do not prohibit anyone 21 or older who may legally possess a firearm from carrying it concealed or open. A firearms permit is not required.
There are general restrictions on where a firearm may be carried however.
Danielle

•  

Cassi

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on March 27, 2018, 04:17:02 PM
Alaska's laws do not prohibit anyone 21 or older who may legally possess a firearm from carrying it concealed or open. A firearms permit is not required.
Danielle

Wow, no permit, I'd be on the way except the twin sisters get frigid in the cold :(
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on March 27, 2018, 04:17:02 PM
Danielle
Arizona is the same, except if you want a ccw, which I do. It allows me to carry in other states and some places that just constitutional carry wouldn't allow.

•  

Gertrude

Quote from: Cassi on March 27, 2018, 06:22:15 PM
Wow, no permit, I'd be on the way except the twin sisters get frigid in the cold :(
Doesn't get old in AZ. Not Really.

•  

Dani

Quote from: Gertrude on March 27, 2018, 06:35:46 PM
Arizona is the same, except if you want a ccw, which I do. It allows me to carry in other states and some places that just constitutional carry wouldn't allow.

I live in Florida. For me and all other Florida ccw holders, about 35 states do reciprocate, but 15 do not. Other states are different. Ccw reciprocity is a confusing patchwork of state regulations. Know the laws for each state you wish to visit and carry. 

We don't have nation wide reciprocity yet and given the recent criminal tragedy here in South Florida, I do not think we will get this done anytime soon.
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Dani on March 27, 2018, 07:02:53 PM
I live in Florida. For me and all other Florida ccw holders, about 35 states do reciprocate, but 15 do not. Other states are different. Ccw reciprocity is a confusing patchwork of state regulations. Know the laws for each state you wish to visit and carry. 

We don't have nation wide reciprocity yet and given the recent criminal tragedy here in South Florida, I do not think we will get this done anytime soon.

Sadly, some people react rather than think.  And they don't know that there is a difference between criminals and law-abiding citizens.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Deborah

Everyone is a law abiding citizen . . . Until they're not.

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Shellie Hart

I've had a permit to "pack heat" for 25 years or so. I carry a small Taurus 9 mil. semi. Too small for my hand but is very easy to hide with a 10 round magazine. I own a bunch of long guns but I haven't hunted in over ten years. Good old days...
  •  

BeverlyAnn

I have to be really careful opening my safe to make sure nothing falls out on my foot.  I collect Smith & Wesson revolvers although what I love shooting most are my 1911's and especially my Combat Commander.  I have my Georgia Weapons License and my EDC, varies between a Glock 42, Glock 43 or a Colt Mustang.  I've lucked into a few really nice guns like an unfired Remington 700 in .30-06 made in 1972 and a Remington 1100 12 gauge made around 1976.  I also reload some of my ammo, espcially the .45 ACP.  Devlyn, I just picked up an interesting pistol.  It's a Star (Spanish made) Model BM, a former Guardia Civil 9mm pistol.  Cool little gun.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

•  

Gertrude

Quote from: Dani on March 27, 2018, 07:02:53 PM

I think it's around 40 for AZ. USA carry has reciprocity map.

•  

Gertrude

Quote from: Deborah on March 27, 2018, 08:01:04 PM
Everyone is a law abiding citizen . . . Until they're not.

Everything is legal until one gets caught.

•