Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Weapons, shooting, guns.

Started by Tracey, March 22, 2018, 06:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4A-GZE

I enjoy shooting, but I know nothing about guns. I want to get a nice air rifle sometime, but that's it.

Interestingly, I was on the rifle team in high school. I was our best shot, but I quit because I was the only one who wasn't a paranoid nutjob when it came to firearms. When I casually mentioned that I'm not getting a real gun unless I already have a secure safe for it, my teammates lost their minds. "How will you get to it if someone breaks in?!?!" Well, for starters, I don't want to kill people over material things. If someone breaks in, I'm calling the cops and complying. Hoo boy, that did not go over well. When they found out I'm in favor of stricter gun control, that was the end for me.

And that's why I only want an air rifle. I hate the attitude of most gun owners, at least those here in the deep south. They probably STILL think Obama is personally going to come take their guns away.
  •  

Zumbagirl

Quote from: 4A-GZE on July 13, 2018, 07:17:24 AM
I enjoy shooting, but I know nothing about guns. I want to get a nice air rifle sometime, but that's it.

Interestingly, I was on the rifle team in high school. I was our best shot, but I quit because I was the only one who wasn't a paranoid nutjob when it came to firearms. When I casually mentioned that I'm not getting a real gun unless I already have a secure safe for it, my teammates lost their minds. "How will you get to it if someone breaks in?!?!" Well, for starters, I don't want to kill people over material things. If someone breaks in, I'm calling the cops and complying. Hoo boy, that did not go over well. When they found out I'm in favor of stricter gun control, that was the end for me.

And that's why I only want an air rifle. I hate the attitude of most gun owners, at least those here in the deep south. They probably STILL think Obama is personally going to come take their guns away.

The biggest mistake I believe you can make as a transperson is assuming that 3 guys breaking into your house in the middle of the night are only after your TV set. The reality is they might be after you. I know a woman who lives up here, in the deep blue state that I live in, who was accosted from her apartment and dragged into the woods and gang raped. It's an unreported crime because she lives in fear from retaliation. I have also seen the trepidation in her face from simply being out and about. Don't mess with your life and don't bring a BB gun to a gun fight or even a knife fight. PS: I also served on jury duty for a case involving a woman who was a victim of aggravated rape and what it did to her was gut wrenching. She never leaves the house, can't hold down a job and so on. Would you deny either of those people the ability to have defended themselves from their attackers and left to suffer emotional trauma for the rest of their lives?
  •  

4A-GZE

Quote from: Zumbagirl on July 31, 2018, 08:04:20 AM
The biggest mistake I believe you can make as a transperson is assuming that 3 guys breaking into your house in the middle of the night are only after your TV set. The reality is they might be after you. I know a woman who lives up here, in the deep blue state that I live in, who was accosted from her apartment and dragged into the woods and gang raped. It's an unreported crime because she lives in fear from retaliation. I have also seen the trepidation in her face from simply being out and about. Don't mess with your life and don't bring a BB gun to a gun fight or even a knife fight. PS: I also served on jury duty for a case involving a woman who was a victim of aggravated rape and what it did to her was gut wrenching. She never leaves the house, can't hold down a job and so on. Would you deny either of those people the ability to have defended themselves from their attackers and left to suffer emotional trauma for the rest of their lives?
I get that, but I still think it's verging on paranoia to keep a gun at the ready. If someone tries to break in, there's going to be more than enough time to get a safe open. That also buys enough time for my hypothetical roommate or partner to let me know it's just him or her. Most accidental killings are of people who are mistaken for intruders.
  •  

kaitylynn

Quote from: 4A-GZE on August 01, 2018, 09:28:09 AM
I get that, but I still think it's verging on paranoia to keep a gun at the ready. If someone tries to break in, there's going to be more than enough time to get a safe open. That also buys enough time for my hypothetical roommate or partner to let me know it's just him or her. Most accidental killings are of people who are mistaken for intruders.

A zen saying, one of the greatest mistakes we make in life is assuming we have time.  Sorry, but someone breaking in to your home is not going to allow you free access to get to your safe.  If I had no life experience, I might be able to empathize with your point of view...but service taught me that you are either prepared, or you are a victim.  Every officer I worked with has a "gun at the ready", why?  Why would they not keep it in a safe, locked up and not accessible?  Because that would render it useless and they know better than to trust luck with their families lives.

What do agree with is requiring training and drilling.  I have a very nice flashlight at the ready as well and am trained, yes...formally trained to not shoot unintended targets.  My transition has not dulled or invalidated it.  My friends that stuck around that are also trained have seen the stats on assaults and murders, they know we really are a hunted prey.

In the end, make a choice to either trust in luck or trust in yourself.  Either way, it is not a decision that really has any bearing on me.  I do not have faith...in my luck.
Katherine Lynn M.

You've got a light that always guides you.
You speak of hope and change as something good.
Live your truth and know you're not alone.

The restart - 20-Oct-2015
Legal name and gender change affirmed - 27-Sep-2016
Breast Augmentation (Dr. Gupta) - 27-Aug-2018
  •  

Devlyn

Just a reminder, folks, this is the Hobby section. Conversations about how to shoot people aren't welcome in my topic, so perhaps someone should start their own topic in the Legal subforum.
  •  

Colleen_definitely

So let this be a warning to all of you: don't keep your wallet in reach while using the internet under the influence of pain killers after surgery.

The friend I was staying with after SRS had an old A2 upper receiver for an AR15 laying around collecting dust and gave it to me while I was there.  I had a few of the other parts in the safe already at home but decided that I just HAD to make a clone of my basic training M16A2.

So I got home, found a box full of handguards, a stock, a shiny new barrel, etc... on the porch, and remembered "Oh yeah..."

Now I can go plink targets without a drill sergeant screaming at me.  And without those lovely glasses that I had to wear.  Well once I heal up a bit more anyway.

As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

tgirlamg

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

"The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸

Ashley's Corner: https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247549.0.html 🌻
  •  

Colleen_definitely

The only problem is that it's just too pretty and lacks the character that comes from decades of grass drills, bayonet courses, and ruck marches.   :D
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on August 09, 2018, 09:48:17 AM
So let this be a warning to all of you: don't keep your wallet in reach while using the internet under the influence of pain killers after surgery.

The friend I was staying with after SRS had an old A2 upper receiver for an AR15 laying around collecting dust and gave it to me while I was there.  I had a few of the other parts in the safe already at home but decided that I just HAD to make a clone of my basic training M16A2.

So I got home, found a box full of handguards, a stock, a shiny new barrel, etc... on the porch, and remembered "Oh yeah..."

Now I can go plink targets without a drill sergeant screaming at me.  And without those lovely glasses that I had to wear.  Well once I heal up a bit more anyway.

Whippersnapper! I used the M16A1 in basic. Nice piece you got there, it'll look even better when you get it all dinged up.  ;D
  •  

Dani

Quote from: Devlyn on August 09, 2018, 04:49:17 PM
Whippersnapper! I used the M16A1 in basic. Nice piece you got there, it'll look even better when you get it all dinged up.  ;D

You are the Wippersnapper, Devlyn.  :o

I used an M14 in basic training. Now that is real rifle!

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: Dani on August 10, 2018, 05:16:09 AM

God, I was hoping someone would come in and say that!  ;D

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Colleen_definitely

I prefer non-biodegradable rifles personally.  :D
  •  

Donica

I used to reload my own ammo. .357 Mag, .380, 30-06, .308, 7.62x25mm, 7.62x39mm. I was never very good with a handgun, but I was very good with a long gun. I took third place out of 23 in a DCM match years ago. I used to recover spent .223 cases, trim them to size and reneck them for 7.62x25 Tokarev, aka Broomhandle round. I herd it was the most powerful handgun round until the .357 Mag.

I grew up in a family with guns and hunting. I learned how to operate and respect them at a very young age. We had lots of fun.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Tatiana 79

Guns where I live are mere tool similar to a powersaw, Hammer whatever, it's a way I harvest a years worth of meat and don't go to the grocery store for it but just go in my backyard. And the stuff you get out of the wild is unlike anything else that comes from a factory or is plastic wrapped it's got to be healthy or it just wouldn't exist out in the wilderness.
I have been hand loading as long as I can remember and as taught by my father a World War II vet. A great respect for firearms everybody knows that Michigan is the gun crazy state and up here in the UP when I first moved up in 94 on opening day of firearm deer season nothing was open, schools and  businesses near Skeleton Crew and no traffic at all everybody was out to harvest some venison. I have far too many pistols rifles shotguns to even begin to list but I have got reloading dies and equipment for all of them that should last me well beyond my lifetime.
In Michigan we have concealed carry but I see no need for it whatsoever up where I live and no longer carry that license  it's more of a liability than a need.
  my favorite handgun is my glock 10 MM. Which I have worked up many hot loads. But as taught in my concealed carry class only use Factory ammo because if you ever need to use it you'll be made out to be like a mad scientist or something. In that gun I prefer my 175 grain Winchester silvertips moving out of the muzzle at 1275 FPS, which duplicates the ballistics of that load in .41 magnum but I got 16 in semi-auto mode.
My favorite deer rifle is my REM 700
Stainless synthetic bolt-action chambered in .270 WIN. With a verX1 Leopold 3.5 to 10 power on top of it. My pet load is 130 gr Barnes X bullet a top 60.0 grains of R-22 giving it a velocity of 3150 FPS averaging through my chronograph, and consistently prints half inch to three quarter inch five-shot groups at a hundred yards
Also when you got black bear nose prints and paw prints all over your glass door wall I keep my little 12-gauge with ounce and a quarter slugs there just in case they want to come through.

Up here in the Michigan Bush guns are just practical tools that are used to reap the benefits of the Woods similar to a power saw reaping firewood, and something else that's really cool up here there's equal amounts of male and female hunters for deer it's so traditional up here and deeply embedded into the society.

And don't you just love that Tannerite impact explosive pretty powerful stuff.

I sure do hate killing anything and always go for the clean quick kill but somehow the Bucks are moving at about 40 miles an hour but I usually only fire one shot a year and somehow connect. I always walked up to the down deer literally in tears saying a little Indian prayer I've learned from some friends  that remember the old ways, up here living on the reservation.
Love you all Tatiana
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: Donica on August 10, 2018, 12:42:38 PM7.62x25 Tokarev, aka Broomhandle round.

You have to be careful here.  While the 7.62 Tokarev and the .30 Mauser cartridges are physically interchangeable the Tokarev is loaded to FAR higher pressures.  There have been many C96 Mauser pistols destroyed by people who didn't know better using inexpensive surplus Tokarev ammo in them.
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Colleen_definitely

And then there's the termite issue, but that's outside the scope of this thread.
  •  

Tatiana 79

Awesome thread Devlyn
It's nice having some fun with this and getting away from the TG stuff.
I still have my Sheridan Silver Streak 5 mm that I bought when I think I was about 10 and spent $70 for it which is a heck of a lot of money when your 10. It's still works great to this day after 46 years I just love the Beeman lathe turned PowerPoint pellets that fly very true just have to get the trajectory right for anything that's 50 yards or farther. Just remember keep one pump it during storage as recommened by the manufacturer.
It still works great for me after all these years and it's a lot of fun plinking with when you don't want the
.22  or anything larger.

Thanks for your very cool thread Devlyn
  •  

Donica

Quote from: Dani on August 10, 2018, 05:16:09 AM

M14! Awesome rifle. 7.62x51mm NATO (.308) clip fed. Who could ask for anything more? I am a big fan of the BAR. 30-06 clip fed, OH YES!!! Love my M1 Garand. Also gas operated. I hated the 8 round en-bloc clip though.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Tatiana 79

OMG Donica,
Any friend of the BAR has to be a friend of mine also. I don't possess the gerand or the BAR, but I do have a World War II era .30 carbine in the 7.62 straight walled cartridge that pales in performance to the .30 06.
But it still was a highly effective carbine for short-range and it's six and a half pound weight sure made it easy to carry. Gen. Patton did say that the gerand was the best battle Implement ever developed.

When I was living in lower Michigan a long time ago I did have the privilege to witness personally the highly coveted MG-42 which was also known by our GI,s as Hitler's buzzsaw. The one I seen was shooting at around 1400 rounds per minute but they can go as high as 1800. It really doesn't sound like a gun, it sounds more like slowly ripping canvas then any individual shots being perceived, but not quite like a mini gun.
This high rate of fire was achieved by not only using recoil operated assist then it also use gas pressure assist similar to AK 47 style. And also had roller bearings on the slide to keep friction down to a minimal. This gun was awesome it could fire it's 150 round belt of 8 mm Mauser, then poppin a new barrel in about 5 to 7 seconds.
This gun was so devastating that the US government created some propaganda to show the GI,s with the video how they could defeat it.  It stated that it's bark was far worse than its bite.
But in reality it's bite is far worse than its bark. The mg42 design has been directly copied by the US resulting in M60 or the pig firing the 7.62 by 54 mm Nato round or .308 win. The US philosophy was they did not want this High rate of fire because they could have two guns firing instead of one being supplied by the same amount of ammunition.
In this large gun shooting in lower michigan, and no it was not associated with the michigan militia, l also witnessed
The Sturmgewerh which was the granddaddy that all other assault rifle are copied off of. It's offered select fire and then an intermediate round that was more powerful than a submachine gun but less powerful than a regular rifle round of its days.
The thinking that, most combat happens within 400 meters, why carry less rounds of something that can reach out to a 1000 meters.
This was the very first assault rifle at the tip of the tree that branchs out into all others.

I better end it now because I could talk about this  stuff all day.
See ya
  •