Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Weapons, shooting, guns.

Started by Tracey, March 22, 2018, 06:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgirlamg

A couple of my old M1-As... a SOCOM with Aimpoint M3 and a "Loaded" model (Stainless Steel Heavy Barrel) and topped with a US Optics SN#3 Slimline scope in the second pic...
Untitled by Ashley Campbell, on Flickr

Onward we go ladies!!!

Ashley  :)

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

"The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸

Ashley's Corner: https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247549.0.html 🌻
  •  

Donica

Oh nice M1A's! Very similar to the M14. I believe the older M1A's were made with the M14 receivers? Both awesome rifles. Very nice pictures Tgirlamc. I had a friend (who is no longer with us) that had the M1A. He had a lot of trouble with it jamming. If a may ask, how well do yours function? My friend may have just got a lemon?
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Wow Ashley, excellent choice in optics.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Donica

Ooops! Sorry I got your name wrong Ashley.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Tatiana 79 on August 11, 2018, 10:42:29 AM
Awesome thread Devlyn
It's nice having some fun with this and getting away from the TG stuff.

I still have my Sheridan Silver Streak 5 mm that I bought when I think I was about 10 and spent $70 for it which is a heck of a lot of money when your 10. It's still works great to this day after 46 years I just love the Beeman lathe turned PowerPoint pellets that fly very true just have to get the trajectory right for anything that's 50 yards or farther. Just remember keep one pump it during storage as recommened by the manufacturer.
It still works great for me after all these years and it's a lot of fun plinking with when you don't want the
.22  or anything larger.

Thanks for your very cool thread Devlyn

I've always said we may be transgender, but we're still normal people who do normal things.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: tgirlamc on August 11, 2018, 08:32:39 PM
A couple of my old M1-As... a SOCOM with Aimpoint M3 and a "Loaded" model (Stainless Steel Heavy Barrel) and topped with a US Optics SN#3 Slimline scope in the second pic...

Onward we go ladies!!!

Ashley  :)

Nice!  ;D
  •  

tgirlamg

Hi Donica!...

Yes!... The early M1As were the best and used all original GI parts and often the receivers as well if I remember correctly... later the quality became a bit more hit and miss and no one wanted to talk about where the parts were sourced!... There is a company called LRB in NY that assembles still with GI Parts on original spec forged receivers and they cost considerably more than the Springfields go for.... Really nice though!!!!

http://www.lrbarms.com/

I was lucky with the Springfields I bought... never any issues with jamming except a few issues related to magazines.... aftermarket (non GI ones) were not always the best and plus, in CA we have the 10rd thing so, GI mags were not available unless grandfathered in before the 1st ban!

Colleen!!...Thanks Sister, I am a sucker for nice optics.... I will attach a few more pics here of some juicy optics!

Devlyn... Thanks for the thumbs up and for having the firearms version of the fabulous thread!!!

LWRC REPR with the US Optics scope from above on a LaRue Tactical mount...

and same with Elcan Spectre...

Benelli M4

LWRC Piston upper with EOTech red dot and 3x flip to side magnifier optics

Lewis Machine and Tool piston upper on billet lower with Trijicon Red Dot optics

SIG 556 Patrol Classic...

Jess and I in a strategy session for zombie invasion plan... :)

Onward we go brave sisters!!!

Ashley :)

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

"The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸

Ashley's Corner: https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247549.0.html 🌻
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

I like guns too. I have been teaching my young son's to shoot. They are learning with a non- lethal scoped air rifle until they are good enough to bag a hog or buffalo with a .308 callibre.
What a thread!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

KatieP

Quote from: amandam on March 23, 2018, 12:59:46 AM
I was raised around them, so were my kids. To me they are just tools. I would conceal carry but in San Diego County you can't get a permit easily.

So...

In May I applied for a CCW in San Diego County. I used a couple of my experiences with trans bigots as the justification. And, yesterday, got the letter that I was approved for the CCW.

So...

If you live in SD county, and you have had any negative experiences with idiots because of your gender, and you want a CA CCW, I think you might try that same approach. When I applied, the Sheriff's clerk who took the application said that they were unaware of anyone getting their CCW approved with my justification. She said that the very few trans people who had been approved in the past all had restraining orders in place.

Anyway, thought I would share my recent SD County CCW experience.

Kate
  •  

KatieP

Quote from: Miharu Barbie on March 26, 2018, 09:31:36 AM
Thank you ladies for the purchase advice.  Your Berettas are beautiful, Deborah.  I handled a few current model Berettas, but I found that the slide release was too hard on my thumb (tearing at my skin.)  The Sig Sauer has a nice, comfortable tension on the slide release, and the overall balance feels good to my hand and wrist, even with a full magazine.

I think I will move on the Sig P320 9mm.  Thanks for the holster advice too.  You all rock!

Love,
Miharu

The Beretta 92 is DA/SA and has a 13 pound trigger pull on the SA. Really tough for me. Even the 8 pound SA on most of the DA/SA Sigs, such as the P229 and P226, can be tough without a lot of practice.

The P320 is VERY easy to shoot, being striker-fired, and has all the Sig quality. While the P229 is still my favorite pistol of all time, the P320 is growing on me...

Kate
  •  

KatieP

Quote from: Miharu Barbie on March 25, 2018, 12:06:11 PM

My question is this.  Do any of you have experience with Sig Sauer?  Are they good, dependable weapons?  Should I be looking at other makes and models? I'm looking to get into a small to medium frame 9mm with light trigger resistance and a reputation for reliability.

I have several Sig handguns. (P226, P229, P320, P250, P239, and used to own a P939.) I also own a Glock 17, an S&W Shield, and a Walther PPK. By far, my favorite of them all is the P229. But it is huge. Unless it is in a purse, bag, or some other container, it is not a concealed carry gun in my opinion. The P320 and P250 are the same size, exactly, since they share everything except firing group, and even they are a bit large. The P320 is Very easy to shoot. The P250 is the exact opposite. The trigger pull is about 2.4 km, and the reset is 2.1 km. (No, not cm, km. It is forever...) Probably the best carry gun of them is the P239, even though the magazine holds only 8 rounds.

All that said, when I actually conceal carry, it is the S&W Shield, because of its size...

Kate
  •  

KatieP

Quote from: KatieP on September 03, 2018, 12:59:03 AM

In May I applied for a CCW in San Diego County. I used a couple of my experiences with trans bigots as the justification. And, yesterday, got the letter that I was approved for the CCW.

So...

Today I did my SD County Sheriff's required CCW Safety training. In SD County, there are 15 or 20 people/companies that provide such training. I ended up with this particular one because our schedules matched so well, and it was a one on one class, so I thought that might be beneficial.

And, I had what might be my most fun/pleasant/encouraging "trans encounter" I have ever had!

We started with introductions. In my intro, I described my work, and then said, "Being transgender, and transitioning rather late, I have had issues with jerks who do not like my existence." The instructor said, "Wait a minute. What did you say?" I said, "About being transgender or the jerks?" He said, "You're transgender? I had no idea..." He then added, "I was a bit confused with the name on the application, but after talking with you, I knew I was talking with a woman."

So, he thought the voice was female, and further thought the voice matched the person. Oh boy...

He is much older than me, and married, or I would have kissed him...

I know this isn't strictly a gun comment, but since I had already mentioned the SD County application, I thought to add the fun story here...

Katie

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: KatieP on September 04, 2018, 11:04:46 PM
So...

Today I did my SD County Sheriff's required CCW Safety training. In SD County, there are 15 or 20 people/companies that provide such training. I ended up with this particular one because our schedules matched so well, and it was a one on one class, so I thought that might be beneficial.

And, I had what might be my most fun/pleasant/encouraging "trans encounter" I have ever had!

We started with introductions. In my intro, I described my work, and then said, "Being transgender, and transitioning rather late, I have had issues with jerks who do not like my existence." The instructor said, "Wait a minute. What did you say?" I said, "About being transgender or the jerks?" He said, "You're transgender? I had no idea..." He then added, "I was a bit confused with the name on the application, but after talking with you, I knew I was talking with a woman."

So, he thought the voice was female, and further thought the voice matched the person. Oh boy...

He is much older than me, and married, or I would have kissed him...

I know this isn't strictly a gun comment, but since I had already mentioned the SD County application, I thought to add the fun story here...

Katie

@KatieP
Dear Katie:
Wowzers... that is such good news that you reported regarding your trans-encounter...
... it is indeed as you stated... "fun/pleasant/encouraging" .

This is certainly very assuring and confidence building,
but like you said... the guy was surprised that you were transgender..... WOW.

Thank you for posting this fun "gun" story here... very appropriate no matter what thread that you post it on.
Hugs and well wishes,
Danielle

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

KatieP

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on September 05, 2018, 01:28:01 AM

This is certainly very assuring and confidence building,
but like you said... the guy was surprised that you were transgender..... WOW.

Thanks, Danielle!

Yep, that guy's' seeing eye dog was no judge of gender...

;D

(Kidding. Just kidding. I don't want anyone questioning MY sanity by me suggesting I went to a blind gun instructor...  ;D )

Katie
  •  

SonadoraXVX

I'm actually trying to find a ciener 22lr conversion for my HP Browning 9mm, just have gotten to expensive to shoot anything other than a 22lr lately for me. I still find it very interesting in south L.A.(yes,I understand why), where I'm living, guns are associated with crime, but from my origins, South Texas, its perfectly accepted, like tools, very different acceptance over there(just the cultural shift is baffling/interesting dynamics).

Anyway, anyone out there selling a Ciener conversion 22lr for a HP Browning?, LOL, I'm in the market, or else I have to go buy me a 22lr revolver. I remember my relatives having a sa/da 22lr revolver, for plinking, varmint hunting, I'm not sure what make, but to this day, I'm just amazed at that blued 8 shot 22lr sa/da revolver in a 4 or 6 inch barrel, with side loading port, the ultimate pennypincher, next to a pellet/bb gun).
To know thyself is to be blessed, but to know others is to prevent supreme headaches
Sun Tzu said it best, "To know thyself is half the battle won, but to know yourself and the enemy, is to win 100% of the battles".

•  

Kymmie Lorain

As a Air Force security police vet. Yeah, I like guns. Firing a M-60 machine gun is a blast. However I currently only own pistols. 2 38 single action a ruger and a Jennings. I would like to get more but just haven't. Luckily living in WY.  We can carried concealed without a permit. I however want to get my permit. luckily with 9 years military service I don't have to take a CC class.

Kymmie
  •  

KatieP

Quote from: KatieP on September 03, 2018, 12:59:03 AM

So...

If you live in SD county, and you have had any negative experiences with idiots because of your gender, and you want a CA CCW, I think you might try that same approach. When I applied, the Sheriff's clerk who took the application said that they were unaware of anyone getting their CCW approved with my justification. She said that the very few trans people who had been approved in the past all had restraining orders in place.

Anyway, thought I would share my recent SD County CCW experience.

Continuing my SD County CCW licensing experience...

Yesterday I took all my paperwork in to actually get the CCW permit. One piece of background info: When I applied, one of the pieces of documentation was my "final" letter from the doc about changing the M to an F. During this issuing interview, the clerk, a different one than the last two times I was there, looked through everything and was going over it all with me, when he came to the list of requirements I must meet for renewal in 2 years. One of the renewal requirements listed was an "Updated doctor's letter."

When he said that, I asked what he meant. He pulled out the M to F doctor letter and said an updated one of these. I was dumbfounded. Nearly speechless, which is rare. Updated with what info? Do you think they just take off a little at a time? Do you think there is MORE to say than that original letter? I then said, "There will not be an 'updated' letter, and I think that is an unreasonable request." It took him about 15 seconds of thinking to take off the "updated" letter requirement.

But I even after 24 hours of thinking about it, I am flabbergasted.

Interestingly, in my "Good Cause" statement, required in CA, I had provided links to articles and research saying that our community has more violence done to it than the community at large. Another renewal requirement I have is to provide newer, updated information on that topic. When he told me that, I thought, "If ONLY there are NO updated links for me to provide in two years..."

Anyway, thought I would pass on the story.

Be safe out there...  ;D

Kate
  •  

Donica

OMG Katie! What a pain. Will I have to go through all that to buy and carry a can of pepper spray? I just found out it's illegal in California? WTH!!!???? REALLY????? WHY???? I fear for my safety. I just want a damn can of pepper spray. No wonder crime is so bad in California. All the guns are in the wrong hands. Sorry! Stepping off my soapbox now!
  •  

KatieP

Quote from: Donica on September 13, 2018, 10:56:57 AM
I fear for my safety.

This was what convinced me to get the CCW. It doesn't happen often, but last spring, coming out of a restaurant, I thought two young guys were going to chase me. I ran to my car and jumped in. I sat there and broke down and cried in my fear. Then I was angry as I could see the two guys laughing at me. I consciously thought, "I do NOT want to live in fear..."

Would I still run in that same situation? You betcha! But if next time, they were between me and the safety of my car, I would know I have an option...

And, I live in north San Diego county which is about as safe a place for transgender people as there is on the planet. Geesh...

So, Donica, if you fear for your safety, jump through whatever hoops you need to in order to reduce that fear. The hoops are far less painful than the possible alternatives.

Kate
  •  

Donica

Yes, I do want to be able to defend myself but I really don't want to carry a gun anymore. After a little research online, I found that pepper spray IS legal in all 50 states. However! California has special rules about pepper spray. We can own and carry no more than a 2.5 oz can. I found an online distributor that sells and ships to California. They are called "The Pepper Spray Store".

Maybe one day Katie, I'll jump through the hoops and get a CA. CCW. I miss my cute little Colt .380 Mustang. As I used to reload my own ammo, My cute little Colt .380 Mustang wasn't so little  ;D.
  •