News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Weapons, shooting, guns.

Started by Tracey, March 22, 2018, 06:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgirlamg

Colleen!!! Nice setups Sista'!!!!

I especially like your FN with the Yankee Hill tube!!!... SWEET!!!! 😃!!!!

A 🙂💕🌸
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

"The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸

Ashley's Corner: https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247549.0.html 🌻
  •  

Kymmie Lorain

I totally agree with those getting CCW permits for personal safety. I have been wondering If I should start carrying. I seen a perfect CC auto for a purse. A kohr (?) small frame 9mm. It wasn't too bad priced either. My Ruger p95 is a little big to carry in a purse.

Kymmie
  •  

Colleen_definitely

There's a Kahr CM9 in my purse right now.  It's a great little carry gun.  The Ruger LC9s pro is another solid value.

As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: tgirlamc on September 17, 2018, 10:36:17 AM
Colleen!!! Nice setups Sista'!!!!

I especially like your FN with the Yankee Hill tube!!!... SWEET!!!! 😃!!!!

A 🙂💕🌸

It's a crowd pleaser at matches since the FS2k is kind of a collector's item now and nearly nobody has a suppressor on them.  But it has to share it with my .300 blk AR shorty, my .308 AR, and my 6.5 Creedmoor AR.  I really should invest in another big rifle can since this one is so stinking heavy.
  •  

tgirlamg

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on September 17, 2018, 12:04:46 PM
It's a crowd pleaser at matches since the FS2k is kind of a collector's item now and nearly nobody has a suppressor on them.  But it has to share it with my .300 blk AR shorty, my .308 AR, and my 6.5 Creedmoor AR.  I really should invest in another big rifle can since this one is so stinking heavy.

Yeah, I like a well executed bull pup design!...  I had a High Standard 10 B bull pup shotgun in the late 70s... I have some pics I will try to dig up!!
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

"The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸

Ashley's Corner: https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247549.0.html 🌻
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Kymmie Lorain on September 17, 2018, 11:19:06 AM
I totally agree with those getting CCW permits for personal safety. I have been wondering If I should start carrying. I seen a perfect CC auto for a purse. A kohr (?) small frame 9mm. It wasn't too bad priced either. My Ruger p95 is a little big to carry in a purse.

Kymmie
It's interesting that as women our carry options change somewhat. I have a Commander and Hi Power. Both are on the dense and heavy side for concealed carry. Thinking of a m&p shield sub compact in 9mm or 45. Kahr has a sub compact 45 too. Then there's a Taurus model 605 or 856. We'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

KatieP

Quote from: Gertrude on September 17, 2018, 01:40:08 PM
Thinking of a m&p shield sub compact in 9mm or 45.

9mm Shield is my carry choice.

I like it a lot for its size, but the factory trigger sucked. I put in an Apex trigger, and it became completely acceptable...

K

•  

SonadoraXVX

Very very high end, low drag weapons coleen, even black opish. :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

To know thyself is to be blessed, but to know others is to prevent supreme headaches
Sun Tzu said it best, "To know thyself is half the battle won, but to know yourself and the enemy, is to win 100% of the battles".

•  

Danni98

Quote from: Gertrude on September 17, 2018, 01:40:08 PM
It's interesting that as women our carry options change somewhat. I have a Commander and Hi Power. Both are on the dense and heavy side for concealed carry. Thinking of a m&p shield sub compact in 9mm or 45. Kahr has a sub compact 45 too. Then there's a Taurus model 605 or 856. We'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Isn't it? I went from carrying a Glock 20, or a 1911, some times even a dual date Luger, now because of the wardrobe change I have three I rotate, a Naa ranger 2, a .327 Ruger lcr and 9mm Sheild. The ranger is nice for when I feel lazy and just want to put it in my pocket, when the darn jeans have pockets..... As for the rest I loved guns ever since my uncle handed me and my cousin a .410 and we shot the fence in half, I used to come home from every gun show with a arm load of military surplus rifles, I mean come on who could pass up $40 mosin's and $90 mausers...... even won the local lotto once and ran right out and bought a semi auto 1919 browning. But I screwed up my shoulder one day now I can't steady a rifle to well, so I sold a lot of the rifles except for the really rare ones. Before that I had no trouble hitting the 350 yard gong with a old Spanish mauser.
  •  

amandam

Quote from: KatieP on September 17, 2018, 05:11:59 PM
9mm Shield is my carry choice.

I like it a lot for its size, but the factory trigger sucked. I put in an Apex trigger, and it became completely acceptable...

K

I only installed the sear. Brought my trigger down to 5.5. Works well.
Out of the closet to family 4-2019
  •  

KatieP

Quote from: amandam on September 20, 2018, 12:19:43 PM
I only installed the sear. Brought my trigger down to 5.5. Works well.

Yes, but then you don't get the pinkish red trigger...  ;D

Kate
  •  

Feeltrapped

Over a decade with the military and a hunter all my life... I've fired a few rounds down range lol. Love shooting my .338 Lapua Mag over 1000 yards. Although my best shot ever (live round and not simulated) was at 750yards on a yote that was responsible for taking down a cow with thier buddies on my buddies farm. 3 shots and all 3 weren't going to be causing any more trouble. 300, 530 and 750 moving with a .243 Roger M77 modified.
  •  

KatieP

A very personal, side question, if I might:

If you do actually concealed carry, where do you carry?

The Well-Armed Woman site says about half of us carry some place on the waist, and that is fine, but then, where on the waist?

Knowing the purse carry is not only slow to access, but also easy to take, I have been carrying IWB at 6:00 o'clock. However yesterday, I was going through some advanced training with my CCW instructor, who after watching me said, "As long as it took you to present the weapon from  6:00 o'clock, from the standard 21 feet, I could have slowly walked over to you, beat the snot out of you, and raped you before you got that weapon out."  Yes, I had practiced, and yes, it was smooth, but it was not fast.

So I thought what about 3:00 o'clock? Even with my whimpy hips, they still stick out farther than anything else below my shoulders, and so even IWB the gun prints really badly.

So, what about appendix carry? To date, all of the arteries that get muzzled most of the time have kept me from doing that.

So, I moved everything to 4:00 - 4:30, OWB. MUCH faster than any of the IWB. As long as I stand straight there is very little printing. But with "slinkier" softer fabric tops (which are virtually all of my tops), bending over still prints. And by "bending over" I don't mean 90 degrees at the waist. (Going all the way to tthe ground, I do try to be lady-like and always act like I have a skirt on.) But even leaning over the counter prints pretty well.

So I would love the voice of experience from this community.

Thank you for your insights!!

Katie
  •  

Colleen_definitely

3 o'clock is impossible to hide unless you're wearing a coat in my experience.  I go for the 4:30ish area.

I tried the ~2 o'clock appendix carry and just found it to be uncomfortable.

With the print issue you're having you may need to get a slightly lower riding holster if possible.  Of course that slows down the draw. 

Personal nitpick about the 21 foot "golden" rule: it's crap no matter who considers it gospel.  Even a practiced person is going to have a lot of trouble identifying a threat then drawing from an easily accessed duty holster in time to stop a determined attacker coming from 21 feet away.
  •  

KatieP

Thanks for the reply, Colleen!

I certainly concur with your comments about the 21 foot rule.

Kate
  •  

Danni98

Depends on what I'm carrying. I will carry the ranger 2 in the coin pocket of my jeans, if my jeans don't have one I carry it at 3 oc in a iwb holster. it only leaves a tiny bump that don't really show. If I carry my lcr or shield it's in a leather iwb holster at the 4-5 oc position. Its's kinda dangerous to carry at the 6 oc position because if they manage to knock you down you could land on your gun and end up paralyzed. But as were getting into the cooler months you should haven no problem carrying in the 3 oc position, with some sort of cover garment, flannel, light jacket. If you really want to 3 oc carry you could try something like a LCP, I've had one and it was so small it just kind of blended in, but with hands that point to the larger side it wasn't comfortable for me to shoot. I haven't tried a belly band yet but I've seen a couple that look promising. You really do have to tailor your wardrobe around carrying as a female.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

I have just recently purchased a new small hammer-less semi-auto pistol to conceal carry in my purse.
I decided on buying a Taurus Curve Model 180 is a cute and light (13 ounces) little thing,....
.380 auto (9mm short) , double action, 6 round magazine. 

This is not a pistol that I take with me on my hikes to defend against dangerous wildlife but is useful to defend against more human-like dangers and small animals... and since it is so small and light it is a firearm that is easily concealable and can be carried in my purse, which means that I will have it with me most of the time, as long as I have my purse with me.  It is essentially only most useful for short range close encounters for self-defense.

Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

KatieP

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on September 23, 2018, 09:33:48 AM
I have just recently purchased a new small hammer-less semi-auto pistol to conceal carry in my purse.
It is essentially only most useful for short range close encounters for self-defense.

So this is my concern about purse carry. Your small Taurus is good for short range close encounters. But drawing from the purse takes me more time than drawing from 6:00 o'clock on the waist. People talk about shooting from inside the purse, but there are loads of problems with that too. (There has to be nothing in the purse the exiting bullet could hit, only one shot because semi-autos won't cycle inside the purse, possible damage to your firing hand, etc)

At 21 feet (which we all agree has problems as a standard, but it does give a reference point), you get 1 to 1.5 seconds to get your gun out. I have practiced at 3:00 o'clock OWB, with concealment, to present the gun and get 2 shots to center mass in 1 second or less. At 4:00-5:00 o'clock OWB, that goes to 3 seconds. At 6:00 o'clock IWB, that goes to 5 or more seconds, which is about the same as drawing from a purse. I think that in an actual 2-legged adversary attack, I won't have 5 seconds...

Kate
  •  

Tatiana 79

Wow Danielle nice group
I don't think I could keep it that tight with my Colt Mustang also in .380.
But it's got a pretty crappy sight picture that I know I could improve but don't really have the need to.

Bear hunting season started up here and I'm heading out right now actually to a friend's Bear Camp where I'm not going to be hunting but just be part of the recovery team.
I already got a couple nice mounts and a bear rug and are excellent eating but I think I'm done hunting them because they just come right in and it's like shooting fish in a barrel.
But if there's anything that can really get your heart going it's going out after a bear that someone else shot.
Of course it's going to be dark And the bear always runs into the thickest stuff or swamp so I think I'll bring my little 12 gauge and my glock model 20 in 10 mm as a last-ditch backup. But we're pretty used to this stuff up here.
The weather just turned colder and I think tonight's the night.
See ya. Time to head out.
  •  

Donica

Quote from: KatieP on September 23, 2018, 10:36:10 AM
So this is my concern about purse carry. Your small Taurus is good for short range close encounters. But drawing from the purse takes me more time than drawing from 6:00 o'clock on the waist. People talk about shooting from inside the purse, but there are loads of problems with that too. (There has to be nothing in the purse the exiting bullet could hit, only one shot because semi-autos won't cycle inside the purse, possible damage to your firing hand, etc)

At 21 feet (which we all agree has problems as a standard, but it does give a reference point), you get 1 to 1.5 seconds to get your gun out. I have practiced at 3:00 o'clock OWB, with concealment, to present the gun and get 2 shots to center mass in 1 second or less. At 4:00-5:00 o'clock OWB, that goes to 3 seconds. At 6:00 o'clock IWB, that goes to 5 or more seconds, which is about the same as drawing from a purse. I think that in an actual 2-legged adversary attack, I won't have 5 seconds...

Kate

That's where the ability to recognize the current environment you are in can save your life. When we are in a less than favorable environment, we must always aware of everything and everyone that is around us. If you can recognize that there is a possible threat, you can already have your hand in your purse with your hand on your weapon. I'm certain I can pull my weapon out of my purse and fire at least 2 rounds at center of mass within 1 second. And if the threat dissolves, on one will be the wiser.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •