Tj87

I shoot IPSC rifle and pistol.
I have a cz 75 compact and a ar15 dpms.
And a H&K Ag3 from the Norwegian army.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Donica

Quote from: Nina on December 03, 2018, 06:01:45 AM
Ahhh, someone else who appreciates archery. I love the sporting aspect of it, because it takes skill, ability to stalk quietly, and in my opinion, it levels the playing field. Anyone can bag game with a firearm, but try with a bow from 30-50 yards. That's skill.
My first compound was a PSE Stinger X. Now I'm using a Bowtec Carbon...super light.

Hi Nina! I used to have a Bear 80lb compound a few years back. It has always been a family tradition. We all had long bows, recurves bows and compounds bows. I loved it. My older brother hunts both rifle and bow season for deer and bear. I think one or two years they did wild boar.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

BeverlyAnn

I just finished building a .300 Blackout AR pistol.  I used a new Ruger lower, a Palmetto States Armory upper with a 7.5" barrel and their AR lower parts kit with a wrist brace.  Instead of the usual two stage military type AR trigger included in the kit, I used a drop-in type Velocity Triggers single stage with a 3 lb. pull.  It should be interesting.
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

•  

Angie101

Wow, just found this thread.  Kind of surprised by the number of shooters here.  I've slowly collected a number of firearms over the past 25 years.  I refer to my collection as a blackhole.  Only two have every escaped - a Glock 33 that I traded toward a Sten Mk II and a Glock 26 that was my wife's.  We sold it to fund her Glock 42.  I'm a whole lot better with a rifle than I am with a pistol.  I can shoot expert on the Army's M9, but I can't seem to shoot straight with any of my pistols except for my P226.  Everything goes low left.  Need more practice. We own 20 acres and my first priority was establishing a range.  Now, I can go to the range dressed as I wish!  It's very liberating.
  •  

Linde

Has anybody of you any experience with this website and the organization.  Now that i don't wear pants anymore, I have to start to think about possibilities to carry a gun with me.  I also found that i have lost quite a bit of grip strength, and have a hard time to handle my 350.  I wonder if a small revolver (as light weight as possible) would suit me better as a self defense weapon?

Any idea or suggestions about these thoughts?
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Gertrude

Quote from: Dietlind on April 21, 2019, 08:23:41 PM
Has anybody of you any experience with this website and the organization.  Now that i don't wear pants anymore, I have to start to think about possibilities to carry a gun with me.  I also found that i have lost quite a bit of grip strength, and have a hard time to handle my 350.  I wonder if a small revolver (as light weight as possible) would suit me better as a self defense weapon?

Any idea or suggestions about these thoughts?
My advice is to use the most gun you can shoot well. Not sure what a 350 is. Find a place where you can rent guns to shoot or maybe you have a friend that has a collection and you can try a variety of guns. What's nice about a revolver is that when one pulls the trigger it goes bang. Autos can too, but there's more room for error. The thing about light guns is that they kick more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Gertrude on April 21, 2019, 11:02:03 PM
My advice is to use the most gun you can shoot well. Not sure what a 350 is. Find a place where you can rent guns to shoot or maybe you have a friend that has a collection and you can try a variety of guns. What's nice about a revolver is that when one pulls the trigger it goes bang. Autos can too, but there's more room for error. The thing about light guns is that they kick more.

There is some new amo out there that has absolute stopping power even in a .22 gun.  I like this pretty well.  Th simplicity of a revolver is intriguing!

Smith & Wesson Model 351C .22 Magnum

•  

steph2.0

I just took a concealed firearms class on Saturday with my Bestie @SassyCassie. Way back in the dim past I won a few marksmanship awards with .22 rifles and handguns, and when the opportunity came up to take the class for free I said why not?

I'll go ahead and apply for the permit despite not owning a handgun right now. I have two .22 rifles and a 20ga over-under shotgun, but when I get the cash I'll probably get a small and light handgun.

We fired a Glock 22 .40 pistol in the class and it felt nice, though maybe a little bigger than I need. After not having gone shooting for years, I was pleased with my grouping, though it was a bit short range.

I'm not a member of any gun organizations and don't plan to be. I'm not a gun collector, but I do understand them and am comfortable with them. As a 60-year-old 5 foot 5 inch woman, the thought of being able to defend myself without getting too close is comforting.

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Linde

Quote from: steph2.0 on April 22, 2019, 12:26:04 AM
I just took a concealed firearms class on Saturday with my Bestie @SassyCassie. Way back in the dim past I won a few marksmanship awards with .22 rifles and handguns, and when the opportunity came up to take the class for free I said why not?

I'll go ahead and apply for the permit despite not owning a handgun right now. I have two .22 rifles and a 20ga over-under shotgun, but when I get the cash I'll probably get a small and light handgun.

We fired a Glock 22 .40 pistol in the class and it felt nice, though maybe a little bigger than I need. After not having gone shooting for years, I was pleased with my grouping, though it was a bit short range.

I'm not a member of any gun organizations and don't plan to be. I'm not a gun collector, but I do understand them and am comfortable with them. As a 60-year-old 5 foot 5 inch woman, the thought of being able to defend myself without getting too close is comforting.

I am not a member of any gun association either, and for sure, I don't want to be a member of the NRA!
But I do have guns, and I used to have a Concealed Carry Permit.  I let this expire, because my Bersa pistol is simply to heavy (in my opinion) to carry around with me just for a possible self defense situation, which I might never encounter.  I am still about 6' tall (and i like to wear 2 to 3 inch high heels), and can do a mean handbag swing at any aggressor  ;D!  But the handbag will not cut it for every situation.  I am a trans woman and as such a way more pron person for any violent aggression than I was when presenting as male.
when I carry a handgun around with m, it is not to do any renditions of the OK Coral shooting in case of a mass shooter, but just for my individual self defense.  My instructor way back when said, if you don't stop the aggressor with two rounds, you will not do it with 3 or 4 of them either.
That means, I do not need a big clip for many rounds, a standard revolver should do just fine.  Weight reduction is for me the most important factor, to make carrying a gun around to be not a burden.  The finest CC permit has no value, if the gun is left laying at home.  And with the newer versions of .22 amo one can achieve top stopping power even with a .22 handgun.  And those guns are light and small enough to be comfortably carried around in a purse.  Ideally would be of course, to buy those special gun carry purses for women, but those things are very expensive, and that would not allow me to have the fitting purse for every outfit I have.

•  

Colleen_definitely

My only concern with .22 for defense is that the primers are simply not as reliable as a centerfire cartridge.  I have had enough dud primers in .22 ammo (even with high quality ammo) that I would not go that route for self defense.

A good old fashioned aluminum frame .38 special revolver really is hard to beat in a case like yours Linde.  Just don't get the +p high powered ammunition for it.  I am not sure if that stuff is more painful for the shooter or the target when fired out of a lightweight revolver.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Canerfice

Well, I actually hold a degree in weapons. My degree is Aircraft Armament Systems Technology from the Community College of the Air Force. I have dealt with many types of weapons, from small caliber personal firearms to much larger forms of ordinance (like 20mm Vulcan Cannons, Air to Air as well as Air to ground missiles, bunker buster bombs like the 2,000 pound GBU-31, and even nuclear devices)

So naturally I have a big passion for weapons. I also have a strong belief in proper firearm training and safety. Before the first time a person even touches my weapons I go through a lengthy discussion about how the firearm works, how to break it down and reassemble it, any safety feature (including handling measures), how to reload it, as well as recoil they can expect.
Zoey
SSgt, USAF (ret)

•  

Linde

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on April 22, 2019, 03:23:04 PM
My only concern with .22 for defense is that the primers are simply not as reliable as a centerfire cartridge.  I have had enough dud primers in .22 ammo (even with high quality ammo) that I would not go that route for self defense.

A good old fashioned aluminum frame .38 special revolver really is hard to beat in a case like yours Linde.  Just don't get the +p high powered ammunition for it.  I am not sure if that stuff is more painful for the shooter or the target when fired out of a lightweight revolver.
I am concerned with the size with anything bigger than a .22.  I do not want to carry this on my body, I remember how uncomfortable it was carrying my pistol.  The thing should fit into my purse, even in a smaller one.

I don't know how big your old fashioned .38 is, but my purses are the restrictions for any dimension.

•  

Linde

Quote from: Canerfice on April 22, 2019, 04:19:56 PM
Well, I actually hold a degree in weapons. My degree is Aircraft Armament Systems Technology from the Community College of the Air Force. I have dealt with many types of weapons, from small caliber personal firearms to much larger forms of ordinance (like 20mm Vulcan Cannons, Air to Air as well as Air to ground missiles, bunker buster bombs like the 2,000 pound GBU-31, and even nuclear devices)

So naturally I have a big passion for weapons. I also have a strong belief in proper firearm training and safety. Before the first time a person even touches my weapons I go through a lengthy discussion about how the firearm works, how to break it down and reassemble it, any safety feature (including handling measures), how to reload it, as well as recoil they can expect.

I used to have a CC from up north.  we had to do several hours shooting to get this.  I do go regularly to a shooting range, and know how the stuff works.

It is nice of you t point this out, but I think most of us here are seasoned people who do not buy and use the first firearm of their life.

I would appreciate it if you could enlighten us more about modern .22 amo vs traditional. 38 o be used for self defense!

I know from way back when that a .22 was considered to be a joke for self defense, but now with the different types of amo to stop a person dead in the tracks, I wonder if this is still the case?

•  

Dani

There have been some gun magazine articles recently that have demonstrated that .22 Magnum should have the penetration needed to seriously harm someone. Most people in law enforcement consider .38 special to be the minimum for self defense. Revolvers are simpler to shoot, but semi-auto pistols conceal better and are available in more powerful calibers. Take your choice and practice at the shooting range.

Since we all are talking personal defense, firearms safety is the utmost importance, but let us all consider that if we ever have to shoot someone, even in cases of obvious self defense, there will be a police investigation and lawyers can be very expensive.

Make sure you know the applicable laws in the state where you live. I live in Florida and we have had several well publicized cases of "stand your ground" self defense. No matter who is at fault, each case was very expensive for the defendant and some defendants have been and are continued to be vilified by the news media. Please be very careful out there.  :police:

I don't want to preach to the choir  :angel: , but someone needs to say this.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Dani on April 22, 2019, 07:21:49 PM
There have been some gun magazine articles recently that have demonstrated that .22 Magnum should have the penetration needed to seriously harm someone. Most people in law enforcement consider .38 special to be the minimum for self defense. Revolvers are simpler to shoot, but semi-auto pistols conceal better and are available in more powerful calibers. Take your choice and practice at the shooting range.

Since we all are talking personal defense, firearms safety is the utmost importance, but let us all consider that if we ever have to shoot someone, even in cases of obvious self defense, there will be a police investigation and lawyers can be very expensive.

Make sure you known the applicable laws in the state where you live. I live in Florida and we have had several well publicized cases of "stand your ground" self defense. No matter who is at fault, each case was very expensive for the defendant and some defendants have been and are continued to be vilified by the news media. Please be very careful out there.  :police:

I don't want to preach to the choir  :angel: , but someone needs to say this.
This is very true Dani.  But in many cases in which women have to defend themselves, it seems to be just enough to pull a gun out of the purse to get the thug running!

•  

Dani

Quote from: Dietlind on April 22, 2019, 07:29:02 PM
This is very true Dani.  But in many cases in which women have to defend themselves, it seems to be just enough to pull a gun out of the purse to get the thug running!

Very true.

Thugs are cowards and criminals. They only attack unprotected people and they look for an easy mark.
  •  

Linde

I was invited for Easter dinner at a couple who are retired detectives form Denver.  She is carrying a .22 revolver, and that go me onto the idea for such a thing.  They use amo that explodes upon entrance in a body, almost like a bomb , and the shrapnels continue to travel through the body!  The stuff is not cheap, but one hopefully never needs one of those!

That is the amo I think of, and that should do just fine with a .22.  But if there are even smaller guns around that would accept this kind of amo, that would be what I want!

We don't have a gun shop near by, and I have to find one and take a look on the stuff that is available, and hold it in my hands.  My hands are not very large, about a typical larger sized female hand, but I certainly do not have tiny hands that can hold any toy gun.

•  

Gertrude

A 22 will kill, but stop? With head shots. If that's what you have though, rock on. I've been toying with the idea of a big bore snubnose. Charter arms has a 44 special, 41 mag, 45 acp and 45 colts snubbies. I currently have a Commander in 45acp and h power in 9mm. Both dense full size sidearms. Not great when it gets warmer. In AZ, no permit needed for open or concealed carry, but I do have a permit for out of state travel.

•  

Canerfice

Quote from: Dietlind on April 22, 2019, 07:18:45 PM
I used to have a CC from up north.  we had to do several hours shooting to get this.  I do go regularly to a shooting range, and know how the stuff works.

It is nice of you t point this out, but I think most of us here are seasoned people who do not buy and use the first firearm of their life.

I would appreciate it if you could enlighten us more about modern .22 amo vs traditional. 38 o be used for self defense!

I know from way back when that a .22 was considered to be a joke for self defense, but now with the different types of amo to stop a person dead in the tracks, I wonder if this is still the case?

Sorry my first post was in reference to the start of the thread. It was supposed to be more of an intro of sorts. I was trying to convey what I do to introduce new people to firearms. I didn't mean to insinuate that anyone here was lacking in firearm knowledge. Sometimes my anxiety makes it difficult for me to express myself. If I have offended anyone here then I apologize.

Zoey
SSgt, USAF (ret)

•  

Linde

Quote from: Canerfice on April 22, 2019, 10:42:34 PM
Sorry my first post was in reference to the start of the thread. It was supposed to be more of an intro of sorts. I was trying to convey what I do to introduce new people to firearms. I didn't mean to insinuate that anyone here was lacking in firearm knowledge. Sometimes my anxiety makes it difficult for me to express myself. If I have offended anyone here then I apologize.
No problem at all, everything is cool! 
But if you with your professional knowledge could jump in, and educate us a little about the issue in question, it would be really great!

•