Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Weapons, shooting, guns.

Started by Tracey, March 22, 2018, 06:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canerfice

Quote from: Dietlind on April 22, 2019, 11:08:16 PM
No problem at all, everything is cool! 
But if you with your professional knowledge could jump in, and educate us a little about the issue in question, it would be really great!

Well a .22 is ok for defensive if you hit certain vital areas. It does have limited penetration power, as you may know. Also it may prove to be less that helpful in defending against  someone who is attacking you that is under the influence of drugs (like pcp).

For me personally I carry a .40 cal as my primary concealed carry weapon. I prefer the higher stopping power and likelihood of dropping a threat to the ground, as this may give me the chance to relocate.

A .38 has a very similar stopping power to the .40 that I carry, and I would recommend it over the .22
Zoey
SSgt, USAF (ret)

•  

Linde

Quote from: Canerfice on April 23, 2019, 12:31:48 AM
Well a .22 is ok for defensive if you hit certain vital areas. It does have limited penetration power, as you may know. Also it may prove to be less that helpful in defending against  someone who is attacking you that is under the influence of drugs (like pcp).

For me personally I carry a .40 cal as my primary concealed carry weapon. I prefer the higher stopping power and likelihood of dropping a threat to the ground, as this may give me the chance to relocate.

A .38 has a very similar stopping power to the .40 that I carry, and I would recommend it over the .22
How about the size and weight of the different guns.  I want to be able to easily carry it in my purses, and don't want the gun to be the only thing that fits in there.
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Canerfice

Quote from: Dietlind on April 23, 2019, 01:08:06 AM
How about the size and weight of the different guns.  I want to be able to easily carry it in my purses, and don't want the gun to be the only thing that fits in there.

Well, a .38 cal firearm can come in quite compact sizes. The Walther PPK/S (the original weapon of James Bond) is one such weapon that I will get for a small alternative to my Sig 229 .40 cal.

The specifics of the Walther PPK/S are:

Weight: 630 grams (22 ounces)
Length: 156mm (6.1 inches)
Barrel length: 83mm (3.3 inches)
Width: 30mm (1.2 inches)
Height: 110mm (4.3 inches)
Muzzle velocity: 244m/s (800.5 ft/s)
Magazine capacity: 7

And if you find that you still want to go with the .22 but still like the size, this firearm also comes in .22 cal and .32 cal variations.
Zoey
SSgt, USAF (ret)

•  

Linde

I thought the man stopping amo would come in .22, but it does not.
This is the stuff I am talking about, what is your opinion about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGH7cDFw7c&feature=youtu.be

•  

Canerfice

Quote from: Dietlind on April 23, 2019, 01:58:30 PM

I would strongly advise not using this type of ammo in a self-defense situation. this type of ammo may be considered excessive force. Various court systems and layers will state that the point of using a firearm, in regards to self-defense, is to stop the threat and not to cause mutilation (or even kill for that matter, though lethal force is often justified). An FMJ round is often more that enough for most civilian self-defense situations.

Even countries engaged in war have limited the use of these types of rounds. A good example of this is the Hague Conventions of 1899 and 1907. Convention IV,3 specifically states:

"(IV,3): Declaration concerning the Prohibition of the Use of Bullets which can Easily Expand or Change their Form inside the Human Body such as Bullets with a Hard Covering which does not Completely Cover the Core, or containing Indentations"

Though the United States was the only country not to ratify this particular convention.
Zoey
SSgt, USAF (ret)

•  

Linde

Quote from: Canerfice on April 23, 2019, 03:34:40 PM

Though the United States was the only country not to ratify this particular convention.
Because the lobbyists wanted to make money with them!

•  

Gertrude

Quote from: Dietlind on April 23, 2019, 01:58:30 PM

Nah. It's a too complicated subject for me to explain with my phone, but you basically want a bullet to expand at the velocity it produces in your gun while penetrating well enough. The g2 doesn't penetrate well and if you're using a semi auto, you want ammo that reliably feeds through your gun. Paul Harrell does some ammo tests with meat targets and he's on you tube. Check out some of his video tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Canerfice on April 23, 2019, 03:34:40 PM
I would strongly advise not using this type of ammo in a self-defense situation. this type of ammo may be considered excessive force. Various court systems and layers will state that the point of using a firearm, in regards to self-defense, is to stop the threat and not to cause mutilation (or even kill for that matter, though lethal force is often justified). An FMJ round is often more that enough for most civilian self-defense situations.

Even countries engaged in war have limited the use of these types of rounds. A good example of this is the Hague Conventions of 1899 and 1907. Convention IV,3 specifically states:

"(IV,3): Declaration concerning the Prohibition of the Use of Bullets which can Easily Expand or Change their Form inside the Human Body such as Bullets with a Hard Covering which does not Completely Cover the Core, or containing Indentations"

I wouldn't use ball ammo as it could over penetrate and hit someone else. There is hollow point ammo that works well. Lucky gunner labs tested the major calibers in ballistic gel and it's extensive. Paul Harrell has some interesting videos as well.

•  

Linde

For me the main point is the weight of a gun I want to have for self defense, the amo has to follow this parameter.
My Bersa Thunder 380 weights 644 ounces with the 8 rounds holding clip inserted, and it is about 7" long and 5" high.

This thing is to big and heavy for me to carry around in my purse every day!  A gun with half that weight and several inches shorter would be ideal.  I the height is OK, because the grip is the right size for my hand.  If I can find a 380 or 9 mm with the dimensions I like, and for a reasonable price that would be great.  Once I found a gun that meets my needs and desires, I can find the amo for it that seems to do the best job.  380 would be great , because i could use the rounds in ether gun!

•  

Linde

As I said, for me all the talk about the amo is purely academic, because my major point is finding gun that meets my requirements.   Once I found this, I can go out and scout for the best amo for the gun.
Once i am done with the unbelievable work to change my name and gender at all possible locations, I will visit a few gun stores and see what I can find that feels good.
I have the feeling I will end up with a revolver, because they seem to come in the smallest versions that can still be handled OK.
I never was really concerned about my personal safety when I was an almost 6'1" tall guy.  I traveled around in my motorhome and parked overnight on Walmart lots or truck stops without any fear.
But now being a trans woman, I am definitely way more concerned.  But I still want to travel around in my rig.  For most cases my first line of defense is still my 120 lbs big Rottweiler mix dog, but the pooch is not always with me, and a little gun might become handy.
But it is only good, if it is light weight enough so I carry it with me all the time.

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: Dietlind on April 23, 2019, 11:39:49 PM
For me the main point is the weight of a gun I want to have for self defense, the amo has to follow this parameter.
My Bersa Thunder 380 weights 644 ounces with the 8 rounds holding clip inserted, and it is about 7" long and 5" high.

This thing is to big and heavy for me to carry around in my purse every day!  A gun with half that weight and several inches shorter would be ideal.  I the height is OK, because the grip is the right size for my hand.  If I can find a 380 or 9 mm with the dimensions I like, and for a reasonable price that would be great.  Once I found a gun that meets my needs and desires, I can find the amo for it that seems to do the best job.  380 would be great , because i could use the rounds in ether gun!

644 ounces!? :o. That's tube artillery, not a handgun!  :laugh:
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Devlyn on April 24, 2019, 08:31:14 AM
644 ounces!? :o. That's tube artillery, not a handgun!  :laugh:
I think it was a little late last night to do accurate measurement, the thing is 644 grams with clip inserted, and that would make it 22.7 ounces.

I hope you like this gun better than the canon I specified earlier!

Anyway, the pistol is to heavy and bulky for my taste to be carried around all the time in my purse!

•  

V M

Quote from: Dietlind on April 24, 2019, 09:19:11 AM

Anyway, the pistol is to heavy and bulky for my taste to be carried around all the time in my purse!

You can send it ti me if you like  ;D
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Bea1968

I am cool with guns.  They are just a tool.  Used for the wrong purpose, they bring sadness, harm, loss. Used for the right reason, they protect those things we wish to protect including ourselves. 
  •  

Gertrude

Look at a Ruger LCP II if autos are your thing. If you like revolvers, Ruger has the LCR and Taurus has the 856 UL, which is 15oz. All those are 15oz and less.

•  

Linde

Quote from: V M on April 24, 2019, 04:00:25 PM
You can send it ti me if you like  ;D
Are you an opportunist?  >:-)

•  

Linde

Quote from: Gertrude on April 24, 2019, 10:55:25 PM
Look at a Ruger LCP II if autos are your thing. If you like revolvers, Ruger has the LCR and Taurus has the 856 UL, which is 15oz. All those are 15oz and less.

Thanks, that comes way closer to my wishes!

•  

Gertrude

Quote from: Dietlind on April 25, 2019, 09:36:22 AM
Thanks, that comes way closer to my wishes!

If you go any smaller and lighter, they don't fit well in the hand and recoil is more. The LCP II probably is what you want. I might go for the 38 revolver for more punch. The Taurus is 6 shots and it weighs 15 oz.
  •  

Devlyn

Trudie, congratulations on being reply #357....in this thread, that's a badge of honour!  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Zumbagirl

Quote from: Dietlind on April 23, 2019, 01:08:06 AM

I wouldn't carry a gun in a purse because if a thief walks by and takes the purse, the thief gets a gun. I always carry on body. I carry a Smith & Wesson M&P340PD. This  is a .357 magnum with a scandium frame and titanium cylinder. Even loaded the pistol weighs barely a pound and it's super easy to conceal. Plus it's a .357 which has a lot of stopping power. I'm actually going to a womens concealed carry fashion show this weekend because I am looking at moving to a 9mm instead of .357 and a 9mm has a lot more carry options. But my .357 isn't going anywhere. It's small enough to put in a pocket. It did take me about 5 months of dedicated range time to figure out how to effectively shoot a snub nosed revolver.
  •