Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Did you like Brokeback Mountain?

Started by PurpleWolf, March 26, 2018, 03:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like the movie Brokeback Mountain? (Choose appropriate options.)

YES! Iconic!
2 (14.3%)
It was alright.
3 (21.4%)
Meh.
0 (0%)
HATE it!!!
2 (14.3%)
Brokeback what?! (Never seen it.)
2 (14.3%)
Liked Heath Ledger
1 (7.1%)
Liked Jake Gyllenhaal
1 (7.1%)
Ridiculous
1 (7.1%)
Good LGBT movie!
3 (21.4%)
Boring & (too) long
1 (7.1%)
Beautiful & touching story
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

PurpleWolf

Love it? Hate it? Never seen it?
Your take on it?
Beautiful? Plain boring? Cutting-edge or ridiculous?
Iconic gay movie? Or nooooot!

---
I really hated this movie!!! Couldn't stand watching. Imo it was overly long, not much happened except for two guys herding sheep... :P The worst part for me: gay sex was portrayed as some weird one-night stand, extremely awkward, no talking, no kissing, straight to action... Like... straight people trying to sell being gay as mainstream/'normal' and think gay people are unable to experience emotion...... The weirdest sex scene I've ever seen in a movie! Awkward, painful to watch...! Considering the movie is about their deep love & relationship - and that sex scene is like two unknown dudes doing it behind a petrol station in 5 mins pretty much......! Not a fan. Only watched it once ages ago so don't remember much but that much I do remember!

And everyone thought it was like the best movie ever - just because it was about being gay! Well just because the main character is gay doesn't make a movie great. A plot is needed too. Plus it didn't depict gay people in a good light imo. It was more like straight people trying to play gay and guess what being gay is like. As if it was any different than being straight or whatever... :P
!!!REBIRTH=legal name change on Feb 16th 2018!!!
This is where life begins for me. It's a miracle I finally got it done.

My body is the home of my soul; not the other way around.

I'm more than anything an individual; I'm too complex to be put in any box.

- A social butterfly not living in social isolation anymore  ;D -
(Highly approachable but difficult to grasp)

The past is overrated - why stick with it when you are able to recreate yourself every day
  •  

Julia1996

I did like it. But the ending is so Sad!  It made me cry.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Sonja

I hated this movie, was it about two gay guys? I thought it was about betrayal.... It just felt dirty and dishonest in the end. Lacking in integrity and honesty towards their partners/wives. IMO.

Sonja.
  •  

Charlie Nicki

Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •  

Kylo

I haven't seen it yet, but yeah, maybe much of the hype was because it was that it got made at all as a relatively high-profile Hollywood flick. Kind of like how everyone's praising the Black Panther movie above and beyond what it is - just another action movie. 

As a gay dude in practice I don't find much of interest in most "gay genre" movies. Strangely. Something about the way that movies tend to charicature things, no matter how serious they try to be. It always ends up feeling contrived or trite in some way. Prob just my bias.   
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Julia1996

I felt bad for both of the guys because they couldn't be open about loving each other. I watched this movie with my brother and he kept saying he didn't understand why they didn't just go ahead and be with each other if they were in love. But the during the time period the movie was set in gay people couldn't be open about loving each other. That to me was just extremely sad!
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

PurpleWolf

The past is overrated - why stick with it when you are able to recreate yourself every day
  •  

Julia1996

Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

PurpleWolf

Wikipedia says it depicts their lives from 1963 to 1983.
Well, imo the whole movie could've been made in the 60s/70s as for how awkward their relationship (and that painful sex scene) is. For those who don't know: the sex scene in question happens in a tent, while camping, their 'first time' together. And it feels like two straight guys playing around and acting gay in a veeeery awkward way - one suddenly humping the other. It didn't feel like they were in love at ALL. It was more like two straight dudes in prison have a brilliant idea that hey, maybe we could... ::)

After watching some two hours straight how they've been herding sheep and not talking much, that's the climax of the movie... They were straight actors, sure, but why hire straight actors if they do such a miserable job playing gay then! The tent scene felt like they were so straight just acting that scene out made them puke and uncomfortable - but in the name of supporting LGBT they were trying to be 'courageous and cool' and 'could do it'! It felt like the movie was made in the 70s....!!!

A clip from the movie... :P worth a watch! It's even more ridiculous than I remember xD!!!

This is a movie that does not age well......! It was already behind its times when it was created!

•  

PurpleWolf

•  

Julia1996

I saw it like 3 years ago. It was kind of an old movie when I saw it but it did seem even older.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: PurpleWolf on March 26, 2018, 07:13:49 PM
Wikipedia says it depicts their lives from 1963 to 1983.
Well, imo the whole movie could've been made in the 60s/70s as for how awkward their relationship (and that painful sex scene) is. For those who don't know: the sex scene in question happens in a tent, while camping, their 'first time' together. And it feels like two straight guys playing around and acting gay in a veeeery awkward way - one suddenly humping the other. It didn't feel like they were in love at ALL. It was more like two straight dudes in prison have a brilliant idea that hey, maybe we could... ::)

After watching some two hours straight how they've been herding sheep and not talking much, that's the climax of the movie... They were straight actors, sure, but why hire straight actors if they do such a miserable job playing gay then! The tent scene felt like they were so straight just acting that scene out made them puke and uncomfortable - but in the name of supporting LGBT they were trying to be 'courageous and cool' and 'could do it'! It felt like the movie was made in the 70s....!!!

A clip from the movie... :P worth a watch! It's even more ridiculous than I remember xD!!!

This is a movie that does not age well......! It was already behind its times when it was created!

I think maybe they used 2 straight actors to try to make it more appealing to straight people. I know a lot of straight guys didn't want to see it. My uncle went on a bitch fit about how "disgusting"  and "gross" making a movie like that was. My dad didn't say anything bad about it but he didn't have any desire to watch it. The only reason Tyler watched it with me was because I asked him to. Though it was about 2 gay guys I think most of the people who watched it were women. Well and gay guys too of course.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

PurpleWolf

Quote from: Julia1996 on March 26, 2018, 07:50:29 PM
I saw it like 3 years ago. It was kind of an old movie when I saw it but it did seem even older.
no doubt ;D

•  

PurpleWolf

Quote from: Julia1996 on March 26, 2018, 07:56:45 PM
I think maybe they used 2 straight actors to try to make it more appealing to straight people. I know a lot of straight guys didn't want to see it. My uncle went on a bitch fit about how "disgusting"  and "gross" making a movie like that was. My dad didn't say anything bad about it but he didn't have any desire to watch it. The only reason Tyler watched it with me was because I asked him to. Though it was about 2 gay guys I think most of the people who watched it were women. Well and gay guys too of course.
Yeah, maybe. And that's pretty funny coz it sucked anyway and I assume not many women/gay guys liked it either  ;D! And the straight guys were stupid to be scared to watch it - if there was one thing lacking, that was the gay romance  :D! So it was a movie of gay guys that wasn't even a gay movie  ;D ;D ;D! To me it was mostly an overly long movie of two guys herding sheep who didn't talk much. (Oh yeah and they were gay forgot.)

Well I'm not in the least surprised your uncle wasn't for it  >:-)! Like it would be an utter shock if he had liked it!!! And that uncle of yours is the brother of your dad, am I correct? How is that possible even  ;D? Are they like biologically related  ;D? Or did your dad inherit all the good qualities and your uncle not so much  :P or... Your uncle seems like a very 'pleasant' person indeed  ;D!!! I wonder if he's successful in life. But I bet not as you already told he's having trouble finding someone... I wonder why is that.

Then again, my dad would be utterly shocked to know such a movie was ever created  ;D! I assume in his bubble (head) LGBT does not exist. Hard to imagine a movie he would hate more than that one! He can't even watch gay people on the news without having a fit!

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: PurpleWolf on March 26, 2018, 08:14:24 PM
Yeah, maybe. And that's pretty funny coz it sucked anyway and I assume not many women/gay guys liked it either  ;D! And the straight guys were stupid to be scared to watch it - if there was one thing lacking, that was the gay romance  :D! So it was a movie of gay guys that wasn't even a gay movie  ;D ;D ;D! To me it was mostly an overly long movie of two guys herding sheep who didn't talk much. (Oh yeah and they were gay forgot.)

Well I'm not in the least surprised your uncle wasn't for it  >:-)! Like it would be an utter shock if he had liked it!!! And that uncle of yours is the brother of your dad, am I correct? How is that possible even  ;D? Are they like biologically related  ;D? Or did your dad inherit all the good qualities and your uncle not so much  :P or... Your uncle seems like a very 'pleasant' person indeed  ;D!!! I wonder if he's successful in life. But I bet not as you already told he's having trouble finding someone... I wonder why is that.

Then again, my dad would be utterly shocked to know such a movie was ever created  ;D! I assume in his bubble (head) LGBT does not exist. Hard to imagine a movie he would hate more than that one! He can't even watch gay people on the news without having a fit!

Yes he is my dad's biological brother. I don't know how that can be either. My dad is nothing like him. Thank god! He did find someone. He married her and they are expecting a baby. He just tried to get my dad to forgive him. I wrote about it a couple of nights ago in a thread titled More family Drama.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Julie -2010

Kind of a sad story.  Hiding because you don't want others to think bad of you.  Love is love.
"me to be my true and authentic self, my own person, one who belonged to the infinitely loving Creator, with all the inherent flaws that come with it."  - Jonathan S. Williams
  •  

PurpleWolf

Quote from: Julia1996 on March 26, 2018, 08:54:54 PM
Yes he is my dad's biological brother. I don't know how that can be either. My dad is nothing like him. Thank god! He did find someone. He married her and they are expecting a baby. He just tried to get my dad to forgive him. I wrote about it a couple of nights ago in a thread titled More family Drama.

Ooh the plot thickens  ;D
Haven't seen that one!
I must say I feel rather sorry for the baby...
Is he older or younger than your father?

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: PurpleWolf on March 26, 2018, 09:00:33 PM
Ooh the plot thickens  ;D
Haven't seen that one!
I must say I feel rather sorry for the baby...
Is he older or younger than your father?

Yeah, I worry about the baby too. He is my dad's younger brother. He tried inviting me to the wife's baby shower. Ugh. You will have to read the post. I don't want to hijack this thread with all that stuff.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

PurpleWolf

Quote from: Julia1996 on March 26, 2018, 09:17:07 PM
Yeah, I worry about the baby too. He is my dad's younger brother. He tried inviting me to the wife's baby shower. Ugh. You will have to read the post. I don't want to hijack this thread with all that stuff.
Sure I'll read it - just haven't yet!

And younger brother oh my! Somehow I depict him in my mind as much older (and uglier) than your dad  ;D! Sort of a sad case. Like he was your dad's uncle more like!!!

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: PurpleWolf on March 26, 2018, 09:20:56 PM
Sure I'll read it - just haven't yet!

And younger brother oh my! Somehow I depict him in my mind as much older (and uglier) than your dad  ;D! Sort of a sad case. Like he was your dad's uncle more like!!!

No he's younger. As much as I hate him I have to admit he's almost as handsome as my dad. But very ugly on the inside! He had a weight issue for a long time but my dad got him into working out, lifting weights and eating right and now he's kind of jacked. Not as much as my dad though because he doesn't spend time at the gym like my dad.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •