Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

New problems with an old issue.

Started by Julia1996, March 26, 2018, 11:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julia1996

Hi everyone.  So I'm having fresh problems with an old issue.  People coming to my house and expecting me to cut their hair. I don't know why people think it's totally ok to do that!  I've had quite a few problems with this in the past. My dad kind of started it by having me cut his friend's hair. But I didn't ever have a problem with that because my dad's motivation for that was actually that he was proud of my skills at hair cutting. He was always proud of Tyler for his athletic abilities and in general but I never expected him to be proud of me for anything. But he actually was so cutting his friend's hair was fine with me. The problem was my mom started making me do all her friend's hair too. Then before long Tyler's friends started asking me to cut their hair. His friend's got especially annoying. I was working full time then and after I got home it seemed like there was always one of his friends wanting me to cut his hair when I was trying to cook or watch a movie or whatever. I got so sick of it I told Tyler since they all had clipper cuts I would teach him to do clipper cuts so he could cut their hair. After tricking him into it by saying he probably couldn't do it he did let me teach him and he actually is pretty good with simple buzz cuts. Of course its very rare that he is willing to cut their hair but it had the effect I wanted. When they asked me I told them I had taught Tyler how to do it and to ask him. He would almost never do it for them but it was off of me. Sorry if he said no but he's your friend so talk to him about it.

So then it pretty much stopped. Then came Tristan's family. His parents and his brothers all expect me to cut their hair whenever they just show up here. And they usually always come when Im busy. It's like all of them said " oh, I don't ever have to bother going to a salon again. I have Julia now".  I also get annoyed that none of them has ever offered to pay me for doing their hair. I totally don't care about the money. I actually wouldn't ever take money from them. But it's just the idea that they never even offer. I really don't mean to sound petty or anything but it really bothers me when people do this. Im totally at a loss as far as anything I can even do about it. It's Tristan's family. I can't very well tell them no I won't cut their hair. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do without creating a problem or hard feelings?
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Dena

It's a common problem of people wanting a service for free. An example is often doctors are ask for medical advice at parties. You could always ask them what type of service they can provide in trade for a haircut. The other solutions is to say your equipment is better at the shop so they should make an appointment and the charges will be. You will only be pushed around if you allow people to push you around.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Cassi

Awesome idea what Dena said.

Two things may happen; first, no more free haircuts will result in few coming, and two, some extra money from those who have been getting their haircut by you.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

big kim

Lie. Tell them you signed a contract at work not to do work outside the shop or you will be sacked
  •  

Daisy Jane

I don't blame you for being upset. It sounds to me like your getting taken advantage of by the friends of your family. I'm sure they don't mean to, but Dena is right about people trying to get free services. Honestly, I would make a post on Facebook stating that you are no longer cutting hair for anyone living outside of your house and just be honest about the number of people coming to get a haircut and how time consuming it has become. Then ask your family to tell anyone else the same thing.
  •  

AnonyMs

Make them pay and donate it to a good cause. Hopefully they will find difficult to refuse and you won't mind doing it. Probably they will just stop asking, and if not raise the amount of donation and thank them for being so generous.
  •  

DawnOday

My friend Kassandra works at her Mom's salon and it is one of the busiest in the South Bay. I've known them for thirty year and giving freebies is one of their pet peeves. But yes, family and friends are a big problem. They all seem to think you work for nothing.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Lady Sarah

Look at the list of stuff you have to do around the house. Then, tell those people that they have to do those chores for the haircut.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

Paige

Hi Julia,

Have you talked to Tristan about this?  He may have a solution.

You know the odd freebee is a very nice thing to do for someone but to expect it is rather rude.  I wonder how many of Tristan's family would work for free.

Take care,
Paige :)

•