Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Hysto + closure of canal?

Started by November Fox, March 28, 2018, 01:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

November Fox

I was wondering whether somone here knows if doctors will perform a hysterectomy with direct closing of the canal. I read that in ciswomen, they sometimes will, only they close it higher up. I'd rather they close it at the opening.

I will discuss this with the surgeon when I get a referral (probably May) but if anyone knows more about this I'd love to hear it.

I'm also still wondering whether you can recover from hysto on your own or need to stay with someone for a few days after the procedure.
  •  

November Fox

Ok, did some research and found out they do a robot-assist hysto+oophorectomy+colpectomy in the hospital where I had top surgery (so for anybody wondering, yes you can have these procedures at the same time). I made an appointment with the surgeon to discuss details.

I will ask him too if I need any extra care, but feel free to share your experience :)
  •  

mm

It is rare to close the vagina at the outer skin end for a normal hystero, only if there is some special reason it has to be done.  There are not many surgeons who know how to do a complete removal as it is not simply closing both ends; the walls must be removed.
  •  

November Fox

The surgery is performed here (Amsterdam) but is apparently not very common. I've read good things about the experiences people had with this technique (and hospital).

I get that not everybody wants this, but I need to have that area cleared for peace of mind and to enable phallo w/ul later on.
  •  

randomdude5

You mean like a vaginectomy? I was under the impression it was usually done at the same time as phallo, at least that's how it was for me. I think they use some of the skin to make part of the urethra? I guess that probably depends on the surgeon though. But yeah, you should inform yourself first on whether or not you should have it done separately from a phallo and what repercussions it may have, if you are wanting phallo in the future.
  •  

SeptagonScars

While yes, a vaginectomy can be done at the same time as a hysterectomy, they're usually done at different times. Reasons being both a higher risk of complications (such as internal bleeding) when done at the same time, and surgeons might need to use vaginal tissue for lengthening the urethra if you'd do phallo or meta and opt for UL. I'd suggest you look into what kind of tissue (like from where on your body) to be used for the UL first.

I'll have meta with UL, and will have hysto with stage one, and then have the hole closed up at a stage two, for exactly those reasons.

Also, there are different methods of going about getting it closed up. I'm pretty sure coplectomy is kind of a half-closure. As far as my own research has gone, the method known as colpocleisis seems to be the best and with lowest complication rate, and is a full closure. That kind of stuff can be good to be aware of too.
Mar. 2009 - came out as ftm
Nov. 2009 - changed my name to John
Mar. 2010 - diagnosed with GID
Aug. 2010 - started T, then stopped after 1 year
Aug. 2013 - started T again, kept taking it since
Mar. 2014 - top surgery
Dec. 2014 - legal gender marker changed to male
Jul. 2018 - came out as cis woman and began detransition
Sep. 2018 - stopped taking T and changed my name to Laura
Oct. 2018 - got new ID-card

Medical Detransition plans: breast reconstruction surgery, change legal gender back to female.
  •