Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Do you think you are/were "trapped in the wrong body"?

Started by PurpleWolf, March 28, 2018, 08:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleWolf

What are your thoughts of this sentence: trapped in the wrong body?

Do you feel that way? Did you feel that way? When did you stop feeling that way, if ever?

Do you think that phrase accurately depicts the trans experience? Do you think it over-simplifies our experiences? Or do you think that's a good thing to make cis people understand?

---
I always felt uneasy about that phrase. It felt almost as if I was expected to feel trapped in someone else's body, other than my own.

In general it of course very well describes to cis people what this is about. That you feel your biological body and your assigned gender are at odds with your actual identity as a person.

In practice I don't like that that much. In theory I'm 'trapped' in a female body, pretty accurate. In practice I don't like to even think I have a female body. Like my spirit was inhabiting an alien woman. Like I was woman on the outside but male only on the inside. Well, that might be accurate too, but I get dysphoric thinking it like that! I don't like to view myself as 'woman' anything! I'm not female. I'm me! I much rather view my body as mine, as a guy body with a twist. With top surgery and T I can get rid of most of that. To me this is a medical condition like any other. I wouldn't like to view myself as 'trapped' if I had any other medical condition or disability either!

Trapped to me represents something dysphoric, a claustrophobic condition you can't escape from! I much rather view my existence as normal and T as a permanent medication I'm about to take. I much rather think that I already have a guy body. A clit is the equivalent of a dick. So I already have a dick too, that will only grow on T! The eunuch body shape I have will vanish once I'm on T. After top surgery I will have a male chest. Once I've done all that no one is even able to know I was anything else than a cis male to begin with! The only 'female' part would then be my genital region. But that I'm mostly okay with to begin with. Plus that is only needed for sex so that's not a concern for others.

So, though I agree with the description in general, I really don't feel I'm 'trapped'. I'm very much alive and can affect my life's course. Like you wouldn't ask a little person, 'do you feel you are trapped in a child's body' right?! Same thing here! I habitate my own body - and I'm not trapped by it!
!!!REBIRTH=legal name change on Feb 16th 2018!!!
This is where life begins for me. It's a miracle I finally got it done.

My body is the home of my soul; not the other way around.

I'm more than anything an individual; I'm too complex to be put in any box.

- A social butterfly not living in social isolation anymore  ;D -
(Highly approachable but difficult to grasp)

The past is overrated - why stick with it when you are able to recreate yourself every day
  •  

Devlyn

I realize you posted this in Transsexual Talk, but most of your topics seem open to sharing information.

As a non-binary person, I'm in the right body, I just reshaped it a little.  ;)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

PurpleWolf

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on March 28, 2018, 08:56:56 PM
I realize you posted this in Transsexual Talk, but most of your topics seem open to sharing information.
Yeah, most of them are here just bcos I don't bother to put them here and there  ;D! All my topics are open for anyone to discuss about!!! I don't know... maybe I should've put them in the transgender section in general then... But since I'm 'transsexual' meaning wanting to medically transition I hang around here  ;D! Plus many topics in some way touch HRT and changes on it too...! For simplicity's sake they are mostly here.

I don't really put people in boxes, so... ;D! Not even in a transgender or transsexual box! (To me transsexual besides is a rather redundant term replaced by transgender in media etc...! But I know, I know, they differ here, we already had this discussion, no need to lecture  ;D!)

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on March 28, 2018, 08:56:56 PM
As a non-binary person, I'm in the right body, I just reshaped it a little.  ;)
Good thinking,  ;)

The past is overrated - why stick with it when you are able to recreate yourself every day
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: PurpleWolf on March 28, 2018, 09:07:36 PM
Yeah, most of them are here just bcos I don't bother to put them here and there  ;D! All my topics are open for anyone to discuss about!!! I don't know... maybe I should've put them in the transgender section in general then... But since I'm 'transsexual' meaning wanting to medically transition I hang around here  ;D! Plus many topics in some way touch HRT and changes on it too...! For simplicity's sake they are mostly here....

Right, but asking in the transgender section means you're asking everyone, and asking in the transsexual section means you're asking a smaller subset of everyone.

The fact that I don't identify as a woman got me chased out of the MTF passing thread once. Where you post does make a difference.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Cassi

Trapped in wrong body????

I think the aliens who created the Matrix we exist in had a sick sense of humor for some of us :(
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

AnamethatstartswithE

I never did, it made me take a lot longer to figure out I was trans. I wasn't conscious of wanting to be female until I was ~10 so I had many years living as male before then.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Cassi on March 28, 2018, 09:33:51 PM
Trapped in wrong body????

The Standard Trans Narrative ™ is weak in this one.   :laugh:
  •  

Michelle_P

I never had the "trapped in the wrong body" experience.

As a small child I remember thinking that maybe I was like those tadpoles and this little bit would shrink away.

As I got older I knew better, through those playground discussions, but I felt that my body was the wrong shape, was somehow betraying me. 

I didn't have a natural puberty, although there was some breast tissue growth in my early teens (very low testosterone can do this, apparently).

I was later given testosterone injections as part of a therapy to correct some behaviors (like cross-dressing, running off to the city looking like a young girl), which did a number on me, along with the intensive counseling sessions. (A form of conversion therapy)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

PurpleWolf

Quote from: Michelle_P on March 28, 2018, 09:50:05 PM
I was later given testosterone injections as part of a therapy to correct some behaviors (like cross-dressing, running off to the city looking like a young girl), which did a number on me, along with the intensive counseling sessions. (A form of conversion therapy)
Cringe x(((!!! I'm again very sorry you had to go through that  >:(!

•  

PurpleWolf

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on March 28, 2018, 09:17:08 PM
The fact that I don't identify as a woman got me chased out of the MTF passing thread once. Where you post does make a difference.
Okay. But the women here have commented many times all the ftm and T threads too...!!! So... if women are allowed in the men's section, I don't think this is quite as gender-segregated place as you perceive it to be  :D! Hope, at least,  ;) (I mean, I did comment on a post in the 'what made you happy MTF ONLY' thread recently, and will in the future too if I feel like it ;D!)

Well no one will chase you out of my threads ever, so I give you an official permission to participate, comment & discuss anything in my threads, at least! And that applies to everyone!

•  

Devlyn

Honey, I'm just trying to help you.

Once bitten, twice shy. I assure you that some of your viewers won't post in a peer subforum that they don't belong to. Just something for you to think about.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on March 28, 2018, 09:46:06 PM
The Standard Trans Narrative ™ is weak in this one.   :laugh:

Aye, and them aliens messing with the Matrix and causing this is aweful.  Wolfy is kewl for a guy, peace out :)
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

MeTony

Not feeling trapped exactly. More that my body grew wrong. It's still my body but it is wrong.

Being in the wrong body is a simple way to explain for cis people how it feels.

Tony
  •  

Corrina

Right body wrong parts! 💃😮 that will change from this 👉🚻👈to this soon enough!
  •  

V M

Being that I wish my parents would have never met and I never had been born I suppose it would be fair to say I feel a bit trapped in the wrong body
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Julia1996

That pretty accurately describes how I have always felt. That feeling has lessened quite a bit since I've been on hrt. Im sure after I have SRS they will lesson further.  But I am always going to feel that way to some degree. I've altered this body to look as female as possible but its not a genetically female body so its still wrong to me.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Gertrude

I am trapped in the wrong gender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

KathyLauren

I never felt trapped in the wrong body.  I did feel trapped in the wrong gender identity, but I didn't know that was a thing.  My body dysphoria was always weaker than my social dysphoria, to the point where I was unaware of it.  I really only became aware of my body dysphoria once I started addressing the social dysphoria, even though it had been there all along, lurking in the shadows.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Chelsea

I never felt like I was trapped in the wrong body until I got in my thirties. Shame it took me that long to figure out
what was wrong with me. So its a yes for me, but its going to change. :) Hopefully.

Hugs,
     Chelsea
First Therapy Appointment 2-26-18
Came Out To Sister 2-27-18
First Endocrinologist Appointment 3-7-18
Started HRT! 3-7-18
First Voice Therapy Appointment 4-23-18
Came out to my Brother!!!! 5-3-18
Came out to MOM!!!! 5-17-18

•  

Kylo

Yeah. It really doesn't reflect my self-image. I don't think of myself as having any physical delicacy. Mentally it couldn't be further from that idea so I have sometimes pushed that beyond its limits. It doesn't feel especially familiar either.

So I if did just happen to have all the male characteristics naturally this would still feel like it didn't quite reflect me. But there's nothing to be done about that.

For me, it does feel like someone's else body I'm borrowing. A skin suit. But I'm used to it so I guess it doesn't matter. It's nowhere near as jarring as the gender issue by a long shot. More like having a nose you don't like or some other feature that you'd prefer was different but you just ignore it.

But as for the female characteristics... yeah that does not feel like my body at all. It's just plain weird. 
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •