Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

I'm a 35 yo divorcee with 3 kids. I want to come out as mtf, but how?

Started by denisejo, April 07, 2018, 01:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denisejo

Hey, I'm kinda new to the site and not even sure that I'm posting this on the right board, but here goes... I'm thirty-five and divorced a few years ago (a very ugly ordeal which resulted in a one-year estrangement from my kids, and thus, a lot of confusion and chaos for them). I've felt my whole life like I was essentially "in the wrong body." I can recall with clarity being no more than six years old and playing dress up with my mother's clothes. I never stopped doing this (later on with different clothes). There are other factors I consider to be evidence that I'm trans but I'll sacrifice those for now, for clarity's sake. Within a few years of attending school, certainly by grade 3, I was fantasizing about, not just dressing as a girl, but living as one. I remember over and again during that time wishing, pleading with god even, to make me a girl and asking him why I was born this way with these parts.

Right here I'll condense some of this story: Basically, for years I've suppressed all of the thoughts and desires that I perceived at the time to be unnatural or bizzare, almost entirely out of fear of judgement. So for years and up til recently, I kept to having "secret dress-up time" which, to this day, only two other people know about (and it was very recently that I even told them). These dress-up seshes were never fulfilling and a far cry from how I actually wanted to manifest instincts that came to me as naturally as breathing, but felt wrong because of (I guess) how these feelings were viewed by society at large. I think suppressing so much of myself for so long played a big part in the drug addictions and chronic depression that plagued me through my teens and twenties. The depression continues and has only worsened.

Over the past few years, however, due to our newer understanding of gender identity as well as a lot of inspiring people who're far less fearful than I, I feel the increasing need to stop living this lie and represent the gender with which I truly identify. To be honest, I feel a bit of a panic because I'm now in my mid-30's, I have practically nothing, I have a ton of problems I need to work out beyond this, and I'm sick of living a life that I consider to be basically a thirty-five year acting gig.

I've conceded that there are some members of my family to whom I won't exactly jump at the chance to come out and I'm okay with that. Thankfully, I can be honest with the ones who matter most. But here's my big issue: I don't know what to do about my kids. They're aged 12 (b), 11 (g), 6 (g). They lived almost the entirety of last year with me and my girlfriend at the time, before she threw a bipolar tantrum the day after Xmas, threw us all out, and flipped my kids' world upside down. I digress a bit but that event does factor in to the overall mental state of my kids, who have already been through it and had a really hard way to go the past few years. Between the divorce, the separation from me (we've always been very close), my ex throwing them out, and their mother's substance abuse problem (the reason they lived with me for a year), I don't think they're equipped to handle my transition. But I don't know what to do because my personal happiness, which I've never really felt at great length, will have to be sacrificed and it's just an utterly demoralizing thought. But it is a sacrifice I'll make for my kids, if necessary.

Anyway, I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has anything on it, even if my situation doesn't mirror anything you've experienced. If you think you can be helpful, please don't hesitate to share. Sorry for writing such a long post. Hope that's okay. Thanks in advance!

Denise/David
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Denise, Welcome to Susan's Place. I'm sure a moderator will be along soon to give you an official greeting!

Your introduction could have been written by at least half of the members here at Susan's. It was just in Dec 2016 that I finally realized I was transgender, Although my family situation is different, coming out to loved ones is the most difficult part of this journey. The fear of losing them can be overwhelming. I have two adult daughters, both in their 20's. I was terrified that they may not accept this. When I came out to them this last December it went better than I had expected. Both of them fully accept and support me. One of my daughters was crying when I told them my story. Later I asked her why, and she said that she was happy that I had finally found the source of my anger.

I think at least your two older children probably already realize that you are hiding something or have a need that sometimes makes you behave poorly. They are probably already aware of the term 'transgender' and they most likely already have a reasonable understanding of what it means. The youngest child will probably be the one with the most difficult time understanding.

This is not something you can hide forever. Typically the urges become stronger as time passes, but transitioning is a slow process. You can take your time with it. You may want to visit a therapist first to see if you would truly be comfortable walking this path. If you decide to move forward, discuss it with your older children when you are comfortable, then maybe ask them for help in telling your youngest child. If you have a good relationship with them I believe it will work out OK, but do take it slowly.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey.
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Jessica

Hi Denisejo 🙋‍♀️ Welcome to Susan's Place!  I'm Jessica.
I would seek family group therapy at first, to especially deal with any trauma they may feel from the circumstances.  Individually if needed.  You should also seek a gender therapist that can help you learn more about yourself.  They may have tips for coming out to your children, but possibly through your family counseling.

I see your new here, so I'll post some links that may help you get better acquainted with the site. Pay attention to the site rules they can be of great help and don't forget the link highlighted red.  It has answers to questions that are commonly asked.  Then join in on a topic you find interesting and learn and share.

Please feel free to stop by the Introductions Forum to tell the members about yourself!

Things that you should read

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

denisejo

Thanks so much, Jessica, for the advice and encouragement. I do feel a little less panicked now. You reminded me of some important things. I agree that my two oldest will probably be the most accepting and I already frequently lecture them on human rights, respect and common courtesy, as I've always been passionate about these topics. I really appreciate your words 👍

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on April 07, 2018, 02:07:56 PM
Denise, Welcome to Susan's Place. I'm sure a moderator will be along soon to give you an official greeting!

Your introduction could have been written by at least half of the members here at Susan's. It was just in Dec 2016 that I finally realized I was transgender, Although my family situation is different, coming out to loved ones is the most difficult part of this journey. The fear of losing them can be overwhelming. I have two adult daughters, both in their 20's. I was terrified that they may not accept this. When I came out to them this last December it went better than I had expected. Both of them fully accept and support me. One of my daughters was crying when I told them my story. Later I asked her why, and she said that she was happy that I had finally found the source of my anger.

I think at least your two older children probably already realize that you are hiding something or have a need that sometimes makes you behave poorly. They are probably already aware of the term 'transgender' and they most likely already have a reasonable understanding of what it means. The youngest child will probably be the one with the most difficult time understanding.

This is not something you can hide forever. Typically the urges become stronger as time passes, but transitioning is a slow process. You can take your time with it. You may want to visit a therapist first to see if you would truly be comfortable walking this path. If you decide to move forward, discuss it with your older children when you are comfortable, then maybe ask them for help in telling your youngest child. If you have a good relationship with them I believe it will work out OK, but do take it slowly.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey.
  •  

denisejo

Thanks, Jessica. I appreciate your help. The kids are already in counseling but group therapy could be very helpful. In my current situation, any counsel or psychiatric assistance I get will have to come from a community health organization. I'm not sure how they operate or if they even help people like me, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the other resources!

Quote from: Jessica on April 07, 2018, 02:11:42 PM
Hi Denisejo 🙋‍♀️ Welcome to Susan's Place!  I'm Jessica.
I would seek family group therapy at first, to especially deal with any trauma they may feel from the circumstances.  Individually if needed.  You should also seek a gender therapist that can help you learn more about yourself.  They may have tips for coming out to your children, but possibly through your family counseling.

I see your new here, so I'll post some links that may help you get better acquainted with the site. Pay attention to the site rules they can be of great help and don't forget the link highlighted red.  It has answers to questions that are commonly asked.  Then join in on a topic you find interesting and learn and share.

Please feel free to stop by the Introductions Forum to tell the members about yourself!

Things that you should read

•  

Dena

Welcome to Susan's Place. From what I have seen on the site, it might be a little difficult for your boy to accept. The oldest girl should accept it. The youngest girl will want to help you with your makeup and nails. The most important part of dealing with children is that they understand you still love them and will be there for them. As your children are already in therapy, you might want to discuss this with their therapist before your talk with them. It possible their therapist can give you some pointers.

It's possible that your children are aware of transgender children from their school. It's become pretty common today for children diagnosed early to live in their desired role while still in grade school. This would help them understand that it's not unusual and can happen at any age.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Jailyn

Well you echo my journey thus far, but I had some separation from my kids to decide to act on my GD. I also like you had played with mom's clothes, sister's, and ex-wife actually found out through my e-bay account. Which made me suppress everything and even with my parents. I have 5 kids. They knew my old name, and how I was. After our separation the gd got bad, with anxiety, depression, and bad place to be. I just decided I needed to move and start new. At the new place I muddled and searched for answers and how I could transition. Well found a way fast forward to last year. I came to California to introduce the real me to my kids. I came on halloween day.......oppppsss. Didn't think that one through. Well I told my kids simply I was born with a girls brain and have felt different. Fast forward to now they have adjusted to the fact and accept it. I come to school and get them and they are like "This is my dad!" Other kids are of course confused and then they explain "My dad felt bad as a boy and has a girl brain so, he's becoming a girl, lol." The kids will adjust fine. The adults are the ones that are hard. Significant others, bosses, co-workers, exes, and ect. Just be honest with yourself and your kids when you are ready to leap in the pond. I am 37 and felt like you that I needed to do something cause it was killing my soul. See a therapist too they help a lot. You can message me anytime and can try to answer any questions you have.
  •  

denisejo

Dena and Jailyn, thanks so much for your input! I'm seeing more and more that my situation isn't really that unique, which is comforting to me. You've helped more than you know. I'm certain I'll have to continue this journey and begin to transition, in some capacity. Anything else would just be self-denial and a recipe for eventual disaster for me. You ladies definitely have me feeling a little better about my kids, which really is my number one concern here. I mean, this stuff is no small deal but y'all definitely make it seem just a little smaller, which helps me a lot, as I get overwhelmed with things pretty quickly at times.
  •