Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

My hair is awful not sure how to deal with it

Started by mittenskittens, April 12, 2018, 03:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mittenskittens

So my hair is short I go to the barbers and get it shaved off every three months.

Problem is I want to transition

My 2nd problem is I have useless hair, when I was younger I had long hair and I looked awful, not because it didn't suit me but because my hair is just dry, thick  and uncontrolable, in other words a mess.

Third my hair is resending!

What's best? Whilst I wait for hormone therapy is it worth growing it out? Or shall I condemn myself to a life of wigs? Help needed please.  Pic = http://i.imgur.com/CSdr0Oz.jpg
  •  

Kendra

If you want to grow your hair out, do so and don't worry about past experiences.  There are many ways to tame unruly hair.  Mine is naturally curly to the point it tangles and sticks out sideways at that awkward in-between length (bozo the clown style) before mine grew long enough to lay flatter.  After wearing snow hats in summer I went to a salon and said fix it - and they did, with a reverse perm to straighten it. 

Once your hair is longer the front corners aren't as visible - cover it with bangs, etc.  MtF HRT often stops a receding hairline from getting worse. 

The other hair topic while waiting for HRT is: consider starting permanent facial hair removal if you haven't already.  Permanent removal often takes at least a couple years, and pain level (skin sensitivity) increases after you start MtF HRT. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

mittenskittens

Quote from: Kendra on April 12, 2018, 03:49:49 AM
If you want to grow your hair out, do so and don't worry about past experiences.  There are many ways to tame unruly hair.  Mine is naturally curly to the point it tangles and sticks out sideways at that awkward in-between length (bozo the clown style) before mine grew long enough to lay flatter.  After wearing snow hats in summer I went to a salon and said fix it - and they did, with a reverse perm to straighten it. 

Once your hair is longer the front corners aren't as visible - cover it with bangs, etc.  MtF HRT often stops a receding hairline from getting worse. 

The other hair topic while waiting for HRT is: consider starting permanent facial hair removal if you haven't already.  Permanent removal often takes at least a couple years, and pain level (skin sensitivity) increases after you start MtF HRT.

Thank you thats very useful reply, I am going to wait untill I get settled in a job. I dont want to go to interviews with messy hair! I hope I can get hormones soon but I hear the wait is long , I dont want my hair to reside more!
  •  

mittenskittens

http://imgur.com/J3iNFfr don't know what to do it, the bit at the front is just looking bad ha
  •  

Lyric

Well, Mittens, you seem to have a very common amount of overall thinning and hair loss on top. Most women dealing with that degree of hair loss do turn to hairpieces or wigs. There are many lovely women with long, lush hair walking the streets who have no more growing out of their heads than you do. If I were you I would probably consider becoming a full time wig wearer. It certainly has it annoyances, but it has great advantages as well. With the right front lace human hair wig you could have full hair inside a week. You could change color, cut or length in an hour. Wigs take a good deal of effort to manage, but once you master them, they can work quite well for you.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Rachel_Christina

What Lyric said.

And if you have a chance of saving it and reversing abit of the loss you already have, you are gonna have to move real quick.
But be sure transition is for you.

•  

mittenskittens

Thank you for the lovely responses , I have decided for the mean time im going to have it cut off. Mostly because I need a job when I graduate next month.  I am going to the gp tommow to talk about therapy and hormones , alltho I think you have to go to gender clinic, before you get hormones , apprently it takes ages in the UK.

Luckily for me , there is hope in terms of drugs which can stop balding , so atleast I can stop it progressing. Thank you for the lovely responces very helpful!
  •  

Rachel_Christina

Ah yeah the UK can be a disaster in terms of speed. Atleast I heard. I'm in Ireland but I kicked of my transition in Switzerland which was real simple.
Now they are forced to just go along with what ever I was on from Switzerland! System nailed :'3

•  

mittenskittens

What do you mean kicked off your transition in switzerland?
  •  

Rachel_Christina

Quote from: mittenskittens on April 16, 2018, 08:07:05 AM
What do you mean kicked off your transition in switzerland?

Haha I mean like I kicked it off, as in got it going, got started, kick started it kinda thing.
Once the ball was rolling their Ireland and the UK can hardly say no to me now :')

•  

patsy1000

I had my first feminine haircut a couple weeks ago, I asked her for a female style hair cut and she said we need to grow it out to the same length first. I was quite pleased with myself when I can out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

•  

Briah

Here in the colonies the drug of choice for reducing hair loss is Finesteride.  This is also one of the testosterone suppressing drugs for transition.  The dosage is something to talk with your doctor about but you may get an early boost while you are waiting for the full HRT appointments.

Good luck.

By the way, my hair is also curly and there is an in between stage where it goes everywhere.  Like Kindra it sticks out like wings.  Now it is longer and more ready to be a little more styled.  My issue is that I like the curls and don't want to loose any of them.  My little bit of vanity.
Oh, yes, I am also old at 67.
  •  

mittenskittens

Quote from: Briah on April 16, 2018, 02:29:41 PM
Here in the colonies the drug of choice for reducing hair loss is Finesteride.  This is also one of the testosterone suppressing drugs for transition.  The dosage is something to talk with your doctor about but you may get an early boost while you are waiting for the full HRT appointments.

Good luck.

By the way, my hair is also curly and there is an in between stage where it goes everywhere.  Like Kindra it sticks out like wings.  Now it is longer and more ready to be a little more styled.  My issue is that I like the curls and don't want to loose any of them.  My little bit of vanity.
Oh, yes, I am also old at 67.

Hi thanks for the reply ,  I am now being prescribed propecia so thats pretty neat. Glad im getting the right drug heh :)
  •  

mittenskittens

Quote from: patsy1000 on April 16, 2018, 09:05:00 AM
I had my first feminine haircut a couple weeks ago, I asked her for a female style hair cut and she said we need to grow it out to the same length first. I was quite pleased with myself when I can out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply , I cant wait to have this experience!! :) Congrats on your achievement!
  •