Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

What made you happy today? For mtF members only, please. 4.0

Started by kaitylynn, April 14, 2018, 04:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KatieP

<Warning: A bit long...>
So, I have been keeping up with Jessica Rose's GCS thread, which convinced me to go back through Jessica Rose's personal story thread, which also brought to mind again Jessica Rose's NCOD presentation. Which reminded me...

A couple weeks ago, I was one of 6 people on a panel to share their story of inclusion at our biannual Diversity and Inclusion breakfast at my company. (Here to be known as Duamish Books. All other names besides mine have been changed as well...) You can imagine the general topic of my story. The "presentation" was to about 400 people in a large ballroom, and the video was later sent out to another 4000. I don't have the video (only internal streaming available), but I have the text, or at least the text as I intended to say it. It is unlikely I said exactly this, as there was no teleprompter and no notes. But anyway, I thought I would share the text here, as I don't have any "just me" threads, and it definitely made me happy.

Hello. My name is Kate XXXXX, and as Lucy said, I am a YYYYYYY. I am also a transgender woman. What that means is that although I was assigned male at birth, from the first moment I knew there was a difference between boys and girls, I knew I was a girl. There was no doubt at all in my mind. I didn't know or understand why I didn't look like the other girls, but I didn't.
This wasn't much of a problem for me until Jr High School. I was the only person in the boys locker room who shaved her legs. You can imagine how well that went over – in Jr High School. It was in Jr High School that I realized I had been betrayed by biology. I still had no idea what was happening, but I knew it was quite painful. After a suicide attempt, I did the only thing I could think of to survive: I went into hiding, and put on a mask to separate me ... from you. Because frankly, "you" weren't that nice.
In college I first could do the research and realized there were other people like me, and there were options. But I was afraid of throwing away my life as I knew it then.
Long after college, about 30 years ago, I started taking female hormones and migrating my wardrobe to the feminine side. But I kept the mask on for work.
When I started with Duamish Books 24 years ago, all transgender medical services were specifically excluded from our medical insurance. Today, we do a pretty good, not perfect though, job of covering transgender medical services. [Some Duamish Books specific stuff...]
Based on the changes in Duamish Books' position on transgender employees, and the experiences of others in my division, I decided I was going to show at work who I was when not at work.
The first manager I told was Linus, my skip level manager. I sat there in male clothing, showed him a picture, and said I wanted to come to work dressed a bit differently. I told him I had not yet told my direct manager because he lived across the country and I wanted to have that conversation face to face and that opportunity had not yet occurred. Linus immediately said I should schedule a trip and that he would pay for it. I also told Linus that I probably wasn't going to dress this way in customer situations because I didn't want to cause issues with the good work we do for them. Linus said two things that I will never forget. First, he said, If a customer has issues with you, we are behind you 100%. Then, in classic Linus style, Linus provided wisdom when he said, "Information has an escape velocity. At some point you won't be in control of where it goes."
So two weeks later, at our broader team gathering, I came dressed this way, as Kate. I was very worried that some on my team would reject me in some way. But every single person was beyond acceptance and even loving. My best day at Duamish Books in 24 years? That first day with my team. [More Duamish specific stuff...]
In my first customer engagement after that meeting, I wondered about going as Kate. But it was in Argentina and Latin American men have a reputation, at least in my head, of being filled with machismo and not accepting women in leadership. And was it even safe for me, a lone woman, to wander around Buenos Aires? But I went as Kate. And... The experience was AMAZING again. There was not one Argentinian who said anything but She, Her, Madam. Never once was I misgendered in any way. And, those Latin American men not taking direction from a woman? Nope. They were much more interested in what I had to say than they were about what I wore. So much for my own biases...!
But it wasn't all great. On the team with me was Charlie, who I have worked with for 6 years. Several times, especially during the first 2 weeks, Charlie called me He or Him. Not maliciously. Just by mistake. And each time, I could see Charlie physically deflate. Literally, from my perspective, my actions caused my good friend pain. And there was nothing I could do about it.
So the reason I wanted to speak up here this morning was not to tell you my story. But rather, I wanted to say Thank You to YOU. Thank YOU for letting me be ME.
  •  

KathyLauren

Katie, what a great presentation!  You have every right to be happy about it.  Congratulations on getting up in front of your fellow employees and sharing your journey with them!
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Roberta W

Oh, I got a new dress today, and it fits just right.  Now all I need is some warmer weather to wear it out and about!
It took a lot of doing, but I take a lot of pride in what I am.
  •  

Artesia

I had a job interview yesterday.  The position is a mental health tech, with the potential to become a case manager in a short time.  It's a foot in the door for the psychological field.  I feel the interview went well.  She was talking about forwarding my paperwork to HR so I think she liked me too.
All the worlds a joke, and the people, merely punchlines

September 13, 2016 HRT start date
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Artesia on March 01, 2019, 09:06:55 AM
I had a job interview yesterday.  The position is a mental health tech, with the potential to become a case manager in a short time.  It's a foot in the door for the psychological field.  I feel the interview went well.  She was talking about forwarding my paperwork to HR so I think she liked me too.
@Artesia
Dear Artesia:
Definitely this is very encouraging and wonderful NEWS that you have just reported.... 
... I will be following your postings to find out what the final results are...

Congratulations to you regarding this job and career opportunity and possibility for you.
Hugs and wishing you well,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

Linde

I hope you are lucky, and everything works the way you hope it will!
Fingers are crossed on my side!
Linde
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Colleen_definitely

The job is great but some of the customers are just plain nuts.

Feel free to groan, I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip the wait staff.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Michelle_P

I got to remove the medical bra and gauze to take a shower.  And I got to see the results of my breast augmentation (BA) up front and personal, as it were.  Um...  WOW!  🤩
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Michelle_P on March 01, 2019, 02:54:34 PM
I got to remove the medical bra and gauze to take a shower.  And I got to see the results of my breast augmentation (BA) up front and personal, as it were.  Um...  WOW!  [emoji2956]
[emoji4] enjoy your new girls. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Ann W

My work involves a great deal of interaction with the public. Many of the customers I deal with are "good ol' boy" types; but, to my initial surprise, I am always treated with courtesy and occasionally addressed as a woman, even though I don't pass.

This morning, a man I had never seen before came in quite early. We have coffee for customers, and he asked if I had coffee ready. I told him I did; and he replied, "You're a good lady." I tell you, that kind of thing never gets old! I was grinning from ear to ear.

I don't know how it is with others who realize they are trans later in life; but I seem to be going through stages of opening up to myself. I'm guessing it's the seed of my true self pushing up through the soil under which it was buried for so long. Just yesterday, I realized that the depth with which I instinctively orient myself around female imagery had greatly increased, or perhaps simply become much more noticeable. The thing I found remarkable about this was it's something I don't have to try to do; it's automatic. Early in my therapy, my therapist asked me if I wanted to learn female mannerisms. I did not, and I was definite about it; I wanted my natural femininity to emerge on its own. And it seems to be working out that way. It takes time, that's certain; but a few days ago I discovered that I had acquired a feminine walk without consciously trying to do so. I suppose that, since I see myself as a woman, I am naturally doing the things I see other women do, the way a young girl might imitate her mother.

From time to time, I look at where I am now in my life and am amazed that this is real, that I get to be this person, this woman. I feel so privileged, so honored. It's an unending source of joy.
  •  

Ann W

OMG, another first.

I'm sorry to post about myself again, but I literally have no one else to tell. I met a new customer earlier today, a straight man, ex-military, married forever ... Regardless, we had a good conversation while I was helping him get what he wanted.

An hour or two later, he called to ask for some additional help, which I was able to give him over the phone. When the conversation was over, he said, "Thank you, sweetheart."

I couldn't believe it. It was beyond confirming; it was disorienting. Did I just land in some trans-positive corner of the Twilight Zone? A straight man addressed me casually as "sweetheart." I'm simply stunned.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@Ann W
Dear Ann:
Wowzers.... that is, like you stated, "It was beyond confirming"

It is interesting that some cis-women, certainly not all, might consider being called sweetheart quite demeaning.. 
I agree with you however.... I get called honey, hun, darling, sweetie,  and sweetheart often in my town and especially at my local coffee shop....   and I love it!!!!

Thank you for sharing your happy moment!!!
Hugs,
Danielle

Quote from: Ann W on March 02, 2019, 08:50:45 PM
OMG, another first.

I'm sorry to post about myself again, but I literally have no one else to tell. I met a new customer earlier today, a straight man, ex-military, married forever ... Regardless, we had a good conversation while I was helping him get what he wanted.

An hour or two later, he called to ask for some additional help, which I was able to give him over the phone. When the conversation was over, he said, "Thank you, sweetheart."

I couldn't believe it. It was beyond confirming; it was disorienting. Did I just land in some trans-positive corner of the Twilight Zone? A straight man addressed me casually as "sweetheart." I'm simply stunned.
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

AoifeB

We, or my girlfriend, got a dog. This is Wikket the maltipom.
  •  

Linde

02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Lacy

I went to a friends birthday party at a bar in town. I went in male mode, but was wear full female attire. I straightened my hair and had on some dangly earrings on.

My coworkers best friend hopped out of her vehicle and asked her (my coworker) if I was the female Jordan at work she had heard about! My friend told her I wasn't but that I was transgender. She was super accepting and went out of her way to talk to me all night! To the point of being flirty!

My first male fail and I didn't even try! Yay!
Lacy
She believed she could so she did!

The continuing story of my new life!

•  

Artesia

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on March 01, 2019, 10:16:54 AM
The job is great but some of the customers are just plain nuts.

Feel free to groan, I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip the wait staff.

Where's the laugh emote?  I love it!

•  

Artesia

Quote from: RealLacy on March 03, 2019, 12:47:18 AM
I went to a friends birthday party at a bar in town. I went in male mode, but was wear full female attire. I straightened my hair and had on some dangly earrings on.

My coworkers best friend hopped out of her vehicle and asked her (my coworker) if I was the female Jordan at work she had heard about! My friend told her I wasn't but that I was transgender. She was super accepting and went out of her way to talk to me all night! To the point of being flirty!

My first male fail and I didn't even try! Yay!
Lacy

Isn't it a great feeling?  The question is, did you like the company and flirtation?

•  

Rayna

My wife bought me a hat for my birthday!

Sent from my Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

If so, then why not?
  •  

Lacy

Quote from: Artesia on March 03, 2019, 10:54:57 AM
Isn't it a great feeling?  The question is, did you like the company and flirtation?
It was an amazing feeling!

The flirting was definitely flattering and appreciated!
Since I'm married the company would have been a little uncomfortable if I had been alone and without a mutual friend.
She believed she could so she did!

The continuing story of my new life!

•  

Chloe

Ok ok I just saved $400 dollars this week (which still don't have btw) REJUVENATING TIRED, OLD DEAD BATTERIES appears to work! My solar deep cycles were resting at 43 volts for months and now I'm getting a solid 51 with A/C season soon upon us!

Procedure: dump electrolyte, refill with 1cup baking soda/warm water gallon (for good mix) let sit/shake a few days then empty and refill with 1cup Pure Epson Salts/warmed distilled water gallon and slow charge (used 1amp @ 55volts) for 2-3 days and VOILA! All very cheap that's it!

Plan is to add 4 more new deep cycles (3 serial banks of 4 connected in parallel total of 12) plus another KW of panels (3KW total) and my sunny daytime electric bill should be close to zero (0)? Happy Happy Happy! Those 4 new batts will pay for themselves in about 3 months . . .

I don't run off battery power at night ULTIMATE FANTASY is to use green powered water separators to store hydrogen for use in a fuel cell (achm still tres' cher!) that will maintain, via same MPPT Charge Controller, nighttime batts instead!
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •