Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

First concert

Started by Tracey, April 26, 2018, 09:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devlyn

Going back a ways here, kids.  :)

The first concert I went to was Yes back around 1978.
  •  

TonyaW

Grew up the the Milwaukee area and saw plenty of acts at Summerfest when I was in high school. That would be 1978 to 1980.  I really don't remember which one was first. 

Devlyn,
I didn't see Yes until the 90s when they basically toured with the new band and old band together, with Anderson and Squire the only ones that played on every song.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

•  

big kim

The Pirates (without the late Johnny Kidd, even I'm not that old!).Blackpool 1977
  •  

ainsley

MERCYFUL FATE, EXCITER, SEDUCE, NE-CROS, Nov 2nd, 1984 @7:30 p.m. Fri., Grand Circus Theatre, Detroit, Michigan
Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

Dani

First concert:

Peter, Paul & Mary in the Red Rocks amphitheater in Denver, Colorado. 1970.

I still remember the smell of marijuana in the air during the concert when all lights were on the stage.
  •  

Chelsea

All you ladies have me beat but.... Bon-Jovi Slippery When Wet Tour 1986 Knoxville, Tennessee

I still remember him coming up out of that stage with that purple fog everywhere. :) and like you said Dani, the smell of weed filled the air.  :laugh:

Hugs,
       Chelsea
First Therapy Appointment 2-26-18
Came Out To Sister 2-27-18
First Endocrinologist Appointment 3-7-18
Started HRT! 3-7-18
First Voice Therapy Appointment 4-23-18
Came out to my Brother!!!! 5-3-18
Came out to MOM!!!! 5-17-18

•  

Jessica

The Tubes at Winterland in SF..... sometime in the early 70's.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Susan Baum

Dang, am I really that old?
1968 - Simon and Garfunkle. My then-girlfriend's roommate got tickets but couldn't go.
Ahh, all those good memories

Susan
Aging is inevitable - growing up is optional.
  •  

Dani

Quote from: Chelsea on April 27, 2018, 09:43:45 AM
... and like you said Dani, the smell of weed filled the air.  :laugh:

Hugs,
       Chelsea

I smelled weed in the air, but I did not inhale, just like Bill Clinton  :D
  •  

Deborah

My first was late 1977 or maybe early 1978.  I don't remember which was first but went to quite a few over four years.  One I do remember vividly was being in the fourth row left side right in front of the speakers during a Chicago concert.  That was really loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Anne Blake

First free concert was Peter Paul and Mary in 62 or 63. First paid concert was the Rolling Stones in 66 at the Cow Palace in San Francisco.
  •  

CynthiaAnn

For me it was Alice Cooper at the Greek theater in LA around 1980, we climbed over the back fence and reached a light tower and then climbed to the top (I bumped my head on the top of the railing as I recall) but we watched the concert from the top of light platform. The security people missed us....

C -
  •  

terrik2016

I saw Kansas in the fall of 1979 at the Notre Dame Athletic and Convocation Center.......
  •  

Denice

My first concert was The Cars, probably in 1978. It was disappointing, they only did a one and a half hour set. The warm up band sucked. Some punk duo, keyboards and a singer, if you could call him one. The audience did not approve. Someone tossed a toilet paper and hit the keyboards. That was hilarious.

The next show was Bruce Springsteen, December 1978 ( I know "First Concert"). I only showed up because a friend sold t shirts at the old Providence Civic Center and offered me a chance to make a few bucks. I was supposed to meet him at a certain door, he never showed up. This concert had sold out in less than an hour when it was announced, weeks before, but so many people showed up the night of the show that they opened up the blue section in the back of the stage. They asking price was $8 a seat, I had $10 on me so I gambled. It was a gamble because I wasn't really a Springsteen fan at the time, I just heard a few songs on the radio. But I thought I would make my money back, plus some more. When I found my friend's boss he said he sent Russell to another arena, and no, he didn't need the extra help. So here's me with a ticket to a show for an artist I wasn't very familiar with, so I stayed. When I got to my seat the guy immediately in front of me pulled out an ounce of weed. I reached over with my last two dollars and asked if he could sell me some. He waved me off and said he'll be passing around for everyone. That was no lie. Weed and a few bottles of Jack Daniels he smuggled in. The show was Fantastic to say the least. I then knew what all the fuss was about.
I'm a man. I like being a man. I also love wearing women's clothing. It's my way to show honor, respect and solidarity with them.
  •  

Michelle_P

30 September 1967, Winterland, San Francisco, CA; Jefferson Airplane, Mother Earth, Flamin' Groovies Lights: Headlights

Gawd, but I love the old hippies on the Internet.  Someone actually preserved all the old shows that were held in San Francisco!  I remembered Airplane and the Flamin' Groovies on the bill, that it was in Winterland, 1967, and probably in the fall.  Pow!
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

KathyLauren

Oh, how I wish I had been in San Francisco in 1966-67!  Colour me jealous, Michelle and Tia!

On the other hand, I saw the Beatles in Glasgow, Scotland, in must have been 1963 or 64.  The Cub pack I was in went as a field trip.

I missed Festival Express (the Dead, The Band, Joplin,  Buddy Guy, Flying Burrito Bros, Ian & Sylvia's Great Speckled Bird, Delaney & Bonnie & Friends.) when they were in Calgary in 1970 - parents wouldn't let me go.  I saw Bob Dylan in Calgary in 1988 or 89.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •