Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

HRT effects on hands of musicians

Started by Bibi, April 27, 2018, 11:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibi

I posted this over on the HRT board but forgot to post it here: Musicians, at any point in your transition, have the changes affected your playing because your hands shrank, lips changed, you maybe added dexterity and small muscle control from becoming more of a woman??
When you finally figure out the person you want to be for the rest of your life, you want the rest of your life to start right now - what Harry would have said to Sally if he were one of us. ( but slower is better!)
  •  

Doreen

Quote from: Bibi on April 27, 2018, 11:10:31 AM
I posted this over on the HRT board but forgot to post it here: Musicians, at any point in your transition, have the changes affected your playing because your hands shrank, lips changed, you maybe added dexterity and small muscle control from becoming more of a woman??

The bone structure in the fingers won't change, neither will their length.  If you have lip augmentation / plumping that will change your ability to play instruments.  IF you have any kind of surgery in the jaw, you risk numbness and thus increased difficulty controlling the embouchure.   If you're a professional musician, don't count on HRT helping you overall.  That being said, psychosomatic  (placebo) effects can still help.  If you think it helps you , it can help you :) 

If you have osteopenia/porosis, that will diminish the overall structure of the bone, but that's going to affect your hips, back, etc long before it has a noticeable impact on your fingers.  You might break them more frequently which will certainly hamper your musical performances. 
  •  

Bibi

I ask because I am a keyboard player and a couple of girls noted that their fingers did decrease in size ,not length, and it did impact playing - they said it required more hand movement now. YMMV, of course.
When you finally figure out the person you want to be for the rest of your life, you want the rest of your life to start right now - what Harry would have said to Sally if he were one of us. ( but slower is better!)
  •  

Doreen

Quote from: Bibi on April 27, 2018, 11:31:18 AM
I ask because I am a keyboard player and a couple of girls noted that their fingers did decrease in size ,not length, and it did impact playing - they said it required more hand movement now. YMMV, of course.

I guess it depends on the person.. maybe lol.  I'd love to see accurate before/after hrt pics of their hand size to verify (or at least a measurement).  Now there is a task, find 5 m2f pre hrt and size up their hands, then 1 year later, 2 years later... or if you could an even larger sampling group including people not on HRT.

I do know my wrists actually diminished in size, not exactly sure why.  My fingers?  meh.  Then again I'm not a terribly accurate person to compare to anyways.  My hormones were always screwed up.
  •  

CynthiaAnn

This is an interesting topic to find. I've been using HRT since 7/2011, and my guitars feel the same to me. I don't think my hands have gotten any smaller, however I think my hands may have lost a little strength overall. I can still reach all the nice high notes on a 5 string as before...... :)

Cynthia -
  •