Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Hip changes and running

Started by Jessica, May 01, 2018, 11:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica

I gals 🙋‍♀️ I have been on hrt for 9+ months.  One of my hobbies and form of exercise is running.  Part of my training includes the elliptical machine.  In the last month I have noticed that I've been not in pace and not entirely comfortable with my normal stride.
This morning I suddenly shifted movements, involuntarily, to a more side movement in my hips.  Making a swiveling motion.  My upper body stays in place, but everything else is moving instead of just the straight ahead motion with my legs.  Everything started to go in sync with my stride and it was comfortable again.

I have heard ligaments and such relax in a way that allows hips to move out while on hrt at a certain point.  Have any other girls here experienced this?

Hugs and strides 🏃‍♀️ Jessica

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Megan.

I couldn't say how, but my stride has certainly changed too. It used to involve more 'body' and shoulders, but now as you say, movement is more waist down.
I guess that a shifting centre of gravity and change in muscle strength/bulk are factors.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Dee Marshall

I can't say what changed for me,but I did notice a change.

I also discovered that fighting it is a non starter.

The spy who came in from the cold in the War Between the Sexes.

April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

Doreen

I would honestly love to see ct/xrays of folks hips that have been on HRT a long time.  Did the bone structure change?  I know fat distribution certainly can.  My hips have mostly feminine shape but the iliac crest looks annoyingly androgynous / masculine.   Maybe if I hit the crest repeatedly with a blunt object... lol.  Probably bad idea, but that's my ancient approach to a problem.  Hammer away until it becomes what it must be :)  This tenacity has gotten me this far.. and far indeed it is!  Its odd.. like the left hip looks feminine, and the right more masculine.. perhaps its simply the angle the CT scan was taken too, slightly off.   

Just call it mule headed stubbornness, but sometimes that's necessary too.

My hips appear female to me.  Then again I 'cheat'  >:-) :angel:  Maybe yours can too?

•  

Jessica

Quote from: Megan. on May 01, 2018, 12:56:49 PM
I couldn't say how, but my stride has certainly changed too. It used to involve more 'body' and shoulders, but now as you say, movement is more waist down.
I guess that a shifting centre of gravity and change in muscle strength/bulk are factors.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly @Megan  I know there have been some changes that account for that.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Michelle_P

The bones don't change from Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT).  Ah, but the connective tissue!

After a while, varying from about 6 to 18 months, the front of the pelvis will drop slightly and the rear will rise.  This will affect how we walk a little bit. 

There may be some other related changes.  This may be what you are seeing.

In post-menopausal HRT, similar to what MtF folks receive, there are some definite impacts:

From the Journal of Gynecological Endocrinology
Oestrogen use after the menopause increases collagen content, dermal thickness and elasticity, and it decreases the likelihood of senile dry skin. Large-scale clinical trials are necessary to help make informed recommendations regarding postmenopausal oestrogen use and its role in the prevention of skin ageing. Oestrogen has profound effects on connective tissue turnover, no matter the site. It has been shown that menopause has similar effects on the connective tissue of the carotid artery media, intervertebral discs and bones.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Dee Marshall

Caveat, Michelle,the bones don't change if bone formation is complete. In younger people there can still be change. That's most of the point of delaying puberty.

April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

Doreen

Quote from: Dee Marshall on May 01, 2018, 07:40:19 PM
Caveat, Michelle,the bones don't change if bone formation is complete. In younger people there can still be change. That's most of the point of delaying puberty.

So here's the thing.. I was off & on hormone therapy starting at 21, but at that point I was 6'2 already.. however finished growing?  I didn't have enough hormones (testosterone at the time was not readable)... and wasn't on HRT consistently enough as it is.

I've always wondered if someone didn't have enough hormones if the epiphyseal plates of the long bones would continue growing.. perhaps this is why people with Swyers Syndrome grow tall as a whole.  (Though I don't technically have Swyers Syndrome either, just something close).  This might also influence hip widening and placement through puberty.

That would be an interesting research article.
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: Michelle_P on May 01, 2018, 07:23:50 PM
The bones don't change from Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT).  Ah, but the connective tissue!

After a while, varying from about 6 to 18 months, the front of the pelvis will drop slightly and the rear will rise.  This will affect how we walk a little bit. 

There may be some other related changes.  This may be what you are seeing.

In post-menopausal HRT, similar to what MtF folks receive, there are some definite impacts:

From the Journal of Gynecological Endocrinology

Does this mean degenerative spinal issues will reverse, such as sciatica?
But not cervical radiculopathy, I'm sure

•  

Dani

Quote from: Jessica on May 02, 2018, 12:36:40 AM
Does this mean degenerative spinal issues will reverse, such as sciatica?
But not cervical radiculopathy, I'm sure

It is well known that estrogens will decrease osteoporosis in post menopausal women. Each individual's symptoms will improve, but complete reversal of sciatica depends on many other factors, such as how severe was the sciatica before HRT.

We can make predictions on how a group of people will respond to any drug therapy, but individual results will be unique to that person. Some will respond very well and others, only slightly. 
  •  

Sarah1979

My running stride definitely changed even though I was never an avid runner until after my first go at HRT.  I quite like it, and from some of the comments I get from those behind me, I'm not the only one. :)
  •