Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Interesting Prospect

Started by KittyKat, May 02, 2018, 06:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KittyKat

Hey all, I haven't posted in years, been kinda just living life. Been super busy going through Nursing School at CUNY: CSI and mostly lurking forums. I've recently had an interesting chain of events and was wondering if people had some insight on what might come of them.

Back in November I suffered testicle torsion and had emergency surgery. While I was glad for the relief of pain, I was furious that the surgeon refused my request to just remove my testicles since he was cutting into my scrotum anyway. Instead the surgeon sutures my testicles to my scrotum to prevent torsion. This lead me to try and get help at the VA hospital when I went for my post op follow up with urology (Surgery was done at local hospital since I went in the ER). The VA docs gave me a whole spiel about not being able to remove viable testicles, and a explain that their not viable and even had to change blockers several times because they were damaging my kidneys. They're final remark is that the VA cannot do any surgeries for gender dysphoria.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago, I begin having terrible pains again just like the torsion pain. This time I take the drive to the ER at the VA and while I don't have a second torsion, the ultrasound shows bilateral microlithiasis (tiny stones in both testicles). The ER tells me to followup with urology again. When I see urology I explain to them I'm in pain everyday, can't they just take them out for pain management. Again they tell me they cannot, however the head doctor places a consult to be seen at Mount Sinai by a urologist associated with their Transgender Health Team.

Now we forward to today, I received a call from the Veteran's Choice program (the referral service). They are setting up an appointment with Dr. Lee Zhao, a urologist on the Gender Reassignment Team at NYU Lagone. What I'm wondering is if anyone has had experiences with Dr. Zhao or NYU Lagone. Also, has anyone ever heard of a referral like this ever going through all the way and a Veteran getting surgery done, something I thought was impossible through any military health care?
  •  

KittyKat

Minor Update: I spoke again today with the veteran's choice program, and was informed they're still in the process of scheduling an appointment. They told me it was taking time because the consult is not only with Dr. Zhao, but a plastic surgeon will be present as well. Now I'm starting to get really excited that maybe some way, some how the VA is actually going to be getting my reassignment surgery covered. As far as any information I can find this doesn't happen and I hope I'm not getting excited for no reason.
  •  

StacyRenee

I'm going through the VA for my voice therapy. Everything I've heard and read about the VA, they absolutely refuse to do any surgery unless it's medically necessary, i.e. testicular cancer, breast cancer, or uterine cancer. The latter two for trans men. And definitely nothing cosmetic.

If you can get the orchiectomy, you're suffering might just be worth it. My health insurance from work doesn't cover trans healthcare either. I have to pay for everything medical out of pocket.
  •  

KittyKat

That's exactly why I'm baffled. Originally I thought the consultation was just to see urology, which would be all that's needed for an orchiectomy, but now I'm being told that a plastic surgeon will be at my first consult. I know that at least one active duty member had surgery done in the past year, even with the current political climate. I'm wondering if maybe there's a loop hole someone figured out here in NYC that hasn't become widely know yet. Of course I can just be getting falsely hyped for no reason.
  •  

KittyKat

Another Update: Not sure if anyone has interest in what's been going on with my case, but recent update should be exciting for any Veterans out there. I spoke with Veteran's Choice again today, they wanted to let me know they're still coordinating my consult. I was able to confirm a few things. The consult is indeed for gender reassignment surgery. Also, the surgery is being paid/covered by Health Net Federal services (Tricare) and I won't have any copay. Apparently I'm the second veteran that has gotten the procedure covered this way. This is pretty exciting news and it looks like I'm going to eventually get the surgery done at NYU Lagone!!
  •  

Faith

I'm paying attention.

It's great news and I hope it all works out for you .. Happy Thoughts ...
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Mountain Warfare Girl

Keeping track of this I'm using the VA myself for my services
  •  

KittyKat

I'm just so excited right now I don't even know how to process most of it. I'll definitely keep people updated as things progress. I have a feeling I'll be getting the surgery done with Dr. Rachel Bluebond-Langner, who seems to have a lot of positive reviews when I look for information and works with the urologist I was assigned, Dr. Lee Zhao.
  •