Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Father came out as transgender today

Started by Confusedsonofatransdad, May 14, 2018, 12:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Confusedsonofatransdad

Hello,
I'm at your mercy to be honest. I've had one of the most earth shattering moments of my life today. My father came out as a man who is going to be transitioning into a female over the next year. I had not a clue and now I'm lost in my feelings for wanting to help and be kind to him but also aware of the damage this is doing to his wife (my mother who i love). I need so much help i don't even know how to articulate it.  Please I'm at your mercy and don't know how to be or help. Thank you for being a resource for me!
  •  

Jessica

Hi Confused, Welcome to Susan's Place!  I'm Jessica.
This can be a shock to family members more than anyone.  Having a known become an unknown is very confusing, but keep in mind that this has likely been known to your father for a long time.  This is new for you and your mother.  Your fathers love doesn't stop because he is reaching for personal truths.  Hopefully your father is in counseling to help find this out.  It would be a good choice for you, your mother or any other family member to find counseling that can show you how this has affected your father and how much it is needed, and how a family can find the way to hold onto the love that is there.

I see your new here, so I'll post some links that may help you get better acquainted with the site. Pay attention to the site rules they can be of great help and don't forget the link highlighted red.  It has answers to questions that are commonly asked.  Then join in on a topic you find interesting and learn and share.

Things that you should read

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

V M

Hi Confused  :icon_wave:

Welcome to Susan's Place  :)  Glad to have you here, join on in the fun

Hugs

V M
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Confusedsonofatransdad on May 14, 2018, 12:29:56 AM
Hello,
I'm at your mercy to be honest. I've had one of the most earth shattering moments of my life today. My father came out as a man who is going to be transitioning into a female over the next year. I had not a clue and now I'm lost in my feelings for wanting to help and be kind to him but also aware of the damage this is doing to his wife (my mother who i love). I need so much help i don't even know how to articulate it.  Please I'm at your mercy and don't know how to be or help. Thank you for being a resource for me!

Hello ConfusedSon,

It's a truism that when a family member transitions, everyone around them transitions as well. It can be painful for everyone involved. Try to understand while this is all new to you, your father has likely been in terrible pain for a very long time, not only for feeling that everything is wrong in their life, but also because they're aware how much this may hurt the rest of the family. I think it's wonderful, though, that you came here for guidance so you can help as much as possible. It shows a lot of love.

I have to make a few assumptions, the biggest that you consider that they were a good dad to you. There were a lot of sacrifices made for your benefit over the years, and your dad did them all willingly because they love you so much. And they did it all with the knowledge that they were incomplete. It didn't matter. They put you first.

Now it has apparently reached a breaking point, and they've realized that they can no longer function and properly give of themselves any more unless they address this gnawing need. They've been avoiding it to save everyone around them from pain, but now they have to do this for themselves. No doubt they feel incredibly selfish at the same time they feel joy at finally being free to be themselves.

I am 59 years old. I began my male-to-female (MtF) transition exactly 1 year and 2 days ago. I fought it for fifty years to save the people around me and to save myself from the possible damage they might inflict. I have no children, and have been incredibly fortunate that everyone around me, including my wife, have been accepting of my journey to finally be myself. There are many others here who are not so lucky. The pain they feel from those who are unaccepting, sometimes hateful, or even just ambivalent, is indescribable. Your father is very likely aware that such things are possible, and has realized that even the fear of that is less than the fear of living wrong the rest of their life.

Advice? That's hard for me to give due to my opposite perspective. But if you really want to help, I can offer this: You may have noticed that up until now I've been using non-gender-specific pronouns (they, they're their, etc.). After a year, the hardest thing for me to hear is my old name and male pronouns. Your dad will decide what the new name will be and when the new pronouns will be appropriate, and even if "dad" applies any more.

When that time comes, please try very hard to do the right thing for her and use them. It will be jarring, but she will see that as among the most loving signs of acceptance.

In the meantime, you may want to introduce yourself in the area here for significant others. There are likely folks there who are in your position and may have more focused advice. It's here: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,26.0.html

I'll add that your mom is welcome to come here as well. And of course, your dad, too.

Be well, and keep loving.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Janes Groove

The most important thing to remember is that this is nothing new.
People like us have been around forever. It is 100% natural.
What is unnatural is the stigma/transphobia that hateful people have oppressed us with for a long time.
It might seem weird to you now but it really isn't.
  •  

Charlie Nicki

Being supportive means listening to his needs while also helping your mother cope. This will be difficult for both of them and it's good to have their children's support. Welcome to the forum.
Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •  

melissamp99

This must be incredibly hard for you. But it is very admirable , you trying to understand what is happening to him.
I wish I could offer you some magical advice that would take this pain from you, but there isn't .
Counseling would be a great start.
Take into consideration that your father has been living in the wrong body all of his life, and suffering the entire time.
Many people think this is a mental illness, but it's not. It only takes one DNA sequence to be out of place , to put a female into a males body and Vice a versa.
Try to be understanding and please seek counseling for your family as a whole. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Paige

Hi Confused,

I wish I had something wise to tell you about this.  I agree that counseling for you and your mother would be a good idea.  This is definitely not an easy situation to be in.

I'm in my fifties and have been struggling with this problem for as long as I can remember.  I've told my wife of 30 years and she's not accepting.  I haven't told my two college age children.  I worry about what this will do to them.  I worry about what it will do to my wife if I transition.  At the same time, this is destroying me as a person. 

Society has put transgender people in a terrible spot.   It's slowly changing but many still consider us freaks and dangerous perverts.  We've had to carry a lot of baggage with us through the years.  We dared not come out, we tried our best to fit into what society expected.

We're in a time that's very similar to where gay/lesbian people were 20 to 30 years ago.  Most felt pressured to fit into society's hetro norm.  They would end up in relationships that didn't make sense but they tried to persevere.  Many of these relationships ended when it became more acceptable to be gay or lesbian.  Now you don't often hear about such relationships because these people can be who they really are.  Transgender people are going through this now.  I would suspect the more transgender people are accepted the less likely you'll find this sort of thing.

As for your mother, people have marital troubles all the time.  Some people cheat on their spouse, some are abusive, some just become distant, some find help with counseling others divorce.  It happens, it's actually amazing that people can stay in relationships as long as they do.  For whatever reason there seems to be more stigma for couples having trouble because one spouse is transgender.   

One thing I would say is that this in no way invalidates your father's love for you or your mother.  Your life with your father was and is real.  The fact your father is transgender doesn't change your history.   Don't think of this as a subtraction, I would suggest you think of it as an addition to your father's personality.  She is basically the same person, you just are getting to see the whole person now, not just a selective part.

It's a lot to ask for a person to live a lie for their whole life just to make other peoples' lives easier?  Notice I didn't say better.   You may find that you're going to learn from this experience.  It may give you a perspective on the world that few have. 

Good luck, I hope you and your family can work things out.
Paige :)

•  

DawnOday

Quote from: Confusedsonofatransdad on May 14, 2018, 12:29:56 AM
Hello,

It's tough as I thought my kids would be upset. But they didn't even blink, they said. "Dad, you got to do what you got to do." "You'll always be Dad to us"  My wife knew a long time ago that that I crossdressed and had been doing so since childhood. I am of an age where missteps in the medical field, may have contributed to my belief that I have always been female.  Explaining is tuff. But my head is in a much better place now and I have reported no bouts of depression for over a year, so it's been a big deal. I've been married for 35 years and it was a risk I had to take. But, aside from a short period of discontent, she too has been fabulous. She understands that I am a kinder, gentler soul now. Here is a "coming out" letter that I think explains everything. It is written by a trans man to his parents. Not everything may apply but it is a lovely explanation. I hope we are able to inform you sufficiently to make an informed decision. Please access the Links and Wiki's for information, and you are always welcome to discuss things over with us. You will get honest answers here.
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,104243.msg780226.html#msg780226
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Chloe_freebird

Hi confused
It can be a tough time your father must have had these feeling for a long time
Possibly  a first step Is try sitting down talking with them and ask questions try to be understanding
As it is really hard to come out.
For him he has properly been planning to tell the family for a long time and it can feel like a bomb has
Just been dropped. See if your mother is willing to do therapy and talk to someone and later doing some
Couples therapy
I hope she is ok.
5 months ago I dropped the same bomb on my wife thinking I had it all planned out spending over 2 years to
To get her used to the idea before telling her unfortunately for me love isn't enough for me :(
But I hope that your family can make it through this and try to work it through even taking baby steps and seeing how things go
Best wishes
Xxx
Chloe
Xxx
Chloe

Started hrt 3/7/2018!
Came out to team at work 15/8/18

•  

Dani

Love and support both your parents as best you can. This unconditional love is what your parents can be thankful for. There is no need to take sides. Your parents must work out their own relationship.
  •  

Sno

Oh hon,

Love is. Familial love is. It is certain, constant, trusting, unwavering truth in the storm of all that changes around (or should be, but that is a different discussion). Is it conditional in any way? No, and nor should it be. Your parents love you. Both of them. The fact that she has tolerated personal pain and struggle up to this point, for you and her partner, speaks of the deep love she feels for you both. The challenge of the pain is such that it grows over time, eventually to the point where it becomes bigger than the pain and heartache surrounding family will experience.

Much of that will have been hidden from you all in self shame, until she could bear it no more.

Yes, it has been a shock. Part of that will be the anticipated future, now lost and needing to be grieved - yes it's going to be sad for a while. However, the love is still there, you have known her personality for all of your life already, and she may take steps to make the outside world a reflection of herself.

Hop over to the Significant Others board - both your mom and yourself will be able to ask and receive support for your many questions. Encourage your trans parent to join us here. We can help her, support her, in whichever way her journey she decides to take.

Most of all be proud of her, she has currently taken the biggest test of her life, and waiting for the results to come through, from you and your mom.

Welcome, (hugs),

Rowan

•  

Confusedsonofatransdad

So today has become even more complicated than yesterday, my parents future relationship is questionable at minimal. My mother is catatonic, however she has known for decades. I'm trying to be as understanding, and as loving as possible but i don't understand my feelings towards this entire life event. I spoke to him and stressed his need to talk to professionals and Reach out to a community for support. I have also done some research and will probably be going to a support group very shortly. I am very concerned that he doesn't fully understand how His side of the family is going to react. They are very conservative and to call them bigoted would be an understatement. Obviously there is a lot of work to be done, I am very worried about his emotional state because he was crying for most of the day today.

I am extremely thankful and appreciate the time you guys took to respond to my message. The resource of having this available is in valuable at the moment. I thoroughly read your responses and if I don't get back to the responses on this forum it's because my personal life has obviously become very busy and demanding since this news.

Thank
You
  •  

Dena

Welcome to Susan's Place. Coming out can be a very stressful event and it's worst if dealing with somebody who's not accepting but who your close to. As your parents knew for years, it's hard to know what type of bargain was worked out between them. Sometimes there are limits set and going beyond the limits is more than the partner can tolerate. If this is the case, it's understandable why your father is so upset. Until a therapist can be brought into the picture, the best way you can help your father would be to let him know that your there and willing to talk any time it's needed. Loneliness is one of the most difficult thing we face and knowing we aren't alone helps.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Charlie Nicki

Quote from: Dena on May 14, 2018, 10:51:01 PM
Loneliness is one of the most difficult thing we face and knowing we aren't alone helps.

I absolutely agree with this. And I do want to commend you for your active and positive involvement in this situation, seems like you're being a really good and understanding son and having your support will make things easier for both of your parents.
Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •  

HappyMoni

Quote from: Confusedsonofatransdad on May 14, 2018, 09:51:03 PM
So today has become even more complicated than yesterday, my parents future relationship is questionable at minimal. My mother is catatonic, however she has known for decades. I'm trying to be as understanding, and as loving as possible but i don't understand my feelings towards this entire life event. I spoke to him and stressed his need to talk to professionals and Reach out to a community for support. I have also done some research and will probably be going to a support group very shortly. I am very concerned that he doesn't fully understand how His side of the family is going to react. They are very conservative and to call them bigoted would be an understatement. Obviously there is a lot of work to be done, I am very worried about his emotional state because he was crying for most of the day today.

I am extremely thankful and appreciate the time you guys took to respond to my message. The resource of having this available is in valuable at the moment. I thoroughly read your responses and if I don't get back to the responses on this forum it's because my personal life has obviously become very busy and demanding since this news.

Thank
You
Dear Confused,
   I can only imagine the fear and perhaps panic on the part of you and your Mom.  When it seems like your whole world is changing from what you thought it was a week ago, yeah that is scary. Everyone is kind of in crisis, maybe saying things to each other that they don't really mean. I would suggest a few things. First breathe! Know that this period of time of 'ripping off the scab' will not last forever. A new normal will eventually take over, and there is a good chance that, although different, it can actually turn out well. Second, don't take the weight of the family crisis on your shoulders. It is not your place to fix this situation and don't feel guilty if things are tough for a while. Neither your Dad nor your Mom want you hurt. As you do love both of your parents, try to be supportive of each one. Your support can be an amazing gift when either of your parents are struggling. Again, it is not your job to fix things. It is most important that you are honest with yourself about your feelings. I hope you have someone to talk to. You are always welcome here as well. Take care of you above all. You will get past this to have a life of your own apart from your parents. My hope is that you will learn to take the good things that come from this. Not to focus on my story too much here, but my coming out has made the people around me grow, be more accepting and open minded. I am proud of that. I'm hoping you are eventually able to see the positives in the fact that your father found the strength to stop running from who and what he is. As for the family, I suspect your Dad knows the danger of losing loved ones. This transgender condition becomes so powerful for so many that we have to move on it. We just cannot run from it any more. I know it is hard to understand unless you experience it. It really can become overwhelming. I think everyone here is pulling for you.
Moni
One of my biggest joys is that my kids were good with me. It means so much.
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

HughE

I don't know whether this is of any help to you at all, but many of us MTF and transfeminine people in the over 40s age group were prenatally exposed to a powerful artificial estrogen called diethylstilbestrol (or DES), that doctors used to give to pregnant women as a treatment for preventing miscarriages. While the DES exposed daughters are acknowledged to have all sorts of problems with cancer, infertility, abnormalities of their internal reproductive organs, autoimmune disorders and so forth, the official line is that the male babies from DES pregnancies suffered virtually no ill effects as a result of their exposure. In reality, for many of us, it appears to have caused our process of sexual development to go spectacularly wrong, with our brain development tending to have borne the brunt of the effects (although it seems to have given many of us a subtle feminine cast to our appearance as well, and among the people I've talked to, physical intersex-related genital abnormalities seem to be quite common too, such as hypospadias, cryptorchidism and micropenis). As far as brain development is concerned, in my case it's very much an intersex condition, but most of my DES exposed facebook friends seem to have undergone overwhelmingly female brain development and are MTF transgender. This may be what happened to your father, particularly if his mother had miscarried prior to falling pregnant with him, or was in an at risk group such as being very young or aged over 40.

In any case, irrespective of what caused it, being transgender is the result of inappropriate levels of androgenic hormones being present during the critical period in fetal development when sex differences in the brain arise - insufficient androgens in the case of MTFs, too much in the case of FTMs. There's a popular misconception that X and Y chromosomes determine your sex. In fact, all being XX or XY does is determine whether you develop ovaries or testicles, everything from that point onwards is hormones. All it needs for a person to become transgender is for them to have the appropriate hormones for their genetic sex during the first trimester (which is when all your physical sexual characteristics develop), but for something to go wrong with their hormones subsequently.

For the first 16 weeks of brain development, there's a process of very rapid cell division going on (to make up the enormous numbers of cells needed for the human brain), and migration of those cells to where their final place in the brain will be (which is often far from where they form). So, although there is a brain there, during those first 16 weeks the whole thing is in a state of flux and is being continuously rebuilt. That probably explains why androgen levels during those first 16 weeks don't seem to have much (if any) influence on the eventual sex of your brain.

By about week 16, the first cells have reached their final position in the brain, and start growing their permanent connections to the other brain cells they're going to be connected to. This is a process that continues at a high rate for the remainder of the pregnancy, and is presumably one of the ways in which the differences between male and female brains arise. I'm guessing that there's a "male way" and a "female way" of wiring up brain tissue which are subtly different at the cellular level.

Another thing that happens during the later stages of the prenatal period is a process of programmed cell death, in which excess brain cells are removed. I went through an exercise of trying to figure out all the ways I'm different from ordinary men, and one thing I've noticed is how they get all excited and their faces light up when they're watching competitive sports. Try as I might, I've never been able to experience whatever it is that they're experiencing. To me, it's just a pointless activity that I can't muster enthusiasm for. I'm speculating that there's a critical period during which the brain cells that drive aggressiveness and competitiveness need there to be high levels of testosterone there, otherwise they'll undergo programmed cell death. In my case the testosterone wasn't there at the crucial time, so those cells didn't survive, and now the only way I can act aggressively and competitively is by creating some fake behaviour to do it.

One thing I realised is that an awful lot of the person I was, was actually fake, and something I'd subconsciously constructed when I was young, by observing people and imitating their behaviour. Reading other people's stories, this is something that seems to happen a lot, certainly among those of us in the older generation anyway. People in general and adolescents in particular often react very badly to female body language and feminine behaviour coming from someone they perceive as male. As a child it didn't matter so much and I was able to make friends and play with the other kids. The moment I hit puberty though, that all changed. My childhood friends all abandoned me, no one wanted to know me or be associated with me, and I was bullied mercilessly for "being gay". On top of that, I think at a subconscious level I was expecting to go through a female puberty, and it only added to my distress when I started growing facial hair instead of breasts. It's the only time in my life I've ever seriously contemplated suicide. Your father probably went through something quite similar, I've seen plenty of other stories where similar things happened.

As I got older, I learned to modify my mannerisms and behaviour to make myself more passable as a man. In due course, my life became a fairly unremarkable existence working in the computer industry. I never felt settled though, and always had a feeling of sadness permeating through me without any indication as to what was causing it.

Then, in 2010, I suddenly had the thought that my instinctive social behaviour, as well as the way I experience  arousal and orgasm, are a lot more like what usually happens in a woman rather than a man. That gave me the idea that perhaps some of my brain development had somehow occurred as female instead of male.

One effect of being socially excluded at school was that it made me turn away from the world of people, and put all the energy that would normally have gone into building and maintaining social relationships, into instead trying to understand how the natural world works. I became one of the top pupils in my school at sciences, and excelled in chemistry and biology in particular. My obvious career choice would have been to go into medicine, except I wasn't having a very happy time, and it affected my studies enough that I just missed out on entry into medical school. Although I ended up working in IT instead, I've retained a kind of amateur interest in the sciences ever since, which meant that I was in a better position than most people to try to figure out whether, firstly, it's even possible to have a brain that's partly developed as male and partly as female, and if so, what might have caused it.

The short answer is, yes it is possible, and one of the things that can cause it is exposure to external hormones during prenatal development. This is something that's been shown in a wide range of animal species, including mice, rats, sheep and monkeys. Although both parents are dead and I've no way of knowing for sure what happened while my mother was pregnant with me, the physical symptoms I have (including a type of body structure called "eunuchoid habitus", which is normally associated with intersex conditions), as well as the social difficulties I experienced as a teenager, all seem to match what happens with DES very well. The main difference is that, in my case, it's only gone partway through, so I've ended up with a gender identity that is more like a mixture of man and women, whereas DES miscarriage treatment seems to more generally produce people with a gender identity that's overwhelmingly female.

DES was used in millions of pregnancies throughout North America, Europe and Australasia, so there must be a lot more people out there like me, my facebook friends, the people who've posted about DES on this site, and the other AMAB people I've talked to online over the last few years who were prenatally exposed to DES. I, along with a number of other people, have been trying to get the story into the news, without much success so far unfortunately. I guess it sounds too outlandish for most reporters to even give it a second glance. Some of us did get a story about DES on a Florida based TV station (WTSP) last year, but unfortunately other media outlets haven't picked up on it so far.

Anyway, as regards your father, unfortunately there's no way of changing what's there. The animal research shows that there's a critical period early in life during which hormones influence the sex of the brain. Once that critical period has ended, that's it, whatever's there is now permanent, and stays with that animal (or person) for the remainder of their life. Decades of clinical experience confirms that what applies to animals applies to human beings too: your gender identity is already set in stone by the time you're born, and neither hormones, reparative therapy, ECT nor anything else can subsequently change it. It's true we can do a much better job of faking it than most animals can, but at the expense of making ourselves chronically unhappy and unfulfilled.

•  

Sno

Hi (again).

What you are seeing in her is the feeling that her worst fears have come true, and in your mother, shock that the day has arrived when your trans parent cannot take it anymore to not be true to themselves. It's horrible that we have to make such a difficult decision in full knowledge of what the likely response will be

The anxiety is crippling, the fear and waiting for the backlash is awful and plays on all of our insecurities.

Whilst we wait we feel rejected, isolated, alone and unsupported; all of which is difficult to understand when 'we' have not fundamentally changed in mind or spirit.

Yes it is a new direction for everyone - lots of adaptation and compromise- but if everyone is prepared to work together, and not allow the isolation to continue, most things will resolve.

Remember, she loves you now as much as the day you were born. She loves your mother as much as the day they wed (I'm assuming they are married), set up home together and decided to have children. It's that damned love thing.

There may be some insurmountable challenges along the journey, but who knows how far down the path your mother's partner needs to go to start feeling comfortable in themselves - it cannot be anticipated just talked through in an open and honest manner. It takes strength to decide to do so keeping the emotion and self interest out of those discussions, and to do so is a choice.

Rowan
  •  

Saha

Dear Confused,

it is an incredibly brave thing your father is doing.  Being himself despite family and societal pressure to conform.

If you can see your way to accepting and supporting him, it may save his life, seriously.
  •  

Karen

Dear Confused

My heart hurts for you and your family as I read your post and this entire thread.  I agree it is so important for you, your mom and others to seek help.   It is vital to your wellbeing and understanding.

As a parent with children I fear the day of having to tell them my story and need to transition.   I can assure you that your dad loves you unconditionally and that your memories and experiences are real and full of love.   And from my experience, the need to transition, as odd as it might sound, is not a choice at all.   It is a result of years of suppression no longer working, and the overwhelming stress and dysphoria resulting in a need to transition and survive.   If it is at a serious state, what other family or friends might think is only a source of stress, and the need to find alignment and truth, and survive, trumps all. 

I can only share my experience so far as a trans woman and a very loving parent and spouse.   I love my family so deeply, and causing pain is the last thing in the world I want to do.   I also want to see tomorrow and be my true self and somehow I will find a way.   

I will share with you my 2 asks of my wife who is aware, and supportive.  1. Love me...love me and care for me.  I need love, care and affection so much now.   2. Become an expert...read everything you can on transgenderism and being transsexual.   Don't become an expert to teach me or tell me what to do, become an expert to help understand and have empathy for myself and others.   We are not abnormal, we are just uncommon. 

Please take care of yourself.  You dad loves you deeply and we live in a world today that is more open and supportive, and their are incredible humans out there that will help you and your family.

Big hugs

Karen
Karen

* felt different like I did not fit, with strong feminine feelings and gender questions my entire life
* Sept 2016 - January 2017 real began to seriously question and research gender
* August 2017 friend explains transgender and gender vs sexual orientation, and immediately felt shock and begin to believe I maybe transgender
* March 2018 after 3 therapists, accepts I am transgender and am transitioning
* July 18, 2018 began HRT
* Feb 4, 2019 began Estrogen
  •