Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

This passes as my 500th post. This too shall pass. :)

Started by Doreen, May 16, 2018, 10:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doreen

Just saying :D  I'm not sure if posting this much is a good or a bad thing.. after all an internet trail can say a lot about you. 

Passing.. such a loaded term though.  Passing as what?  A chimpanzee in gorilla costume?  Passing implies that you're being something you are not.   Passing as a sheep, but you're really a wolf hiding.   

I know many use that term, but.. does a cis woman pass as cis woman? Of course like 95% or so do.  (Ya I made that statistic up, bite me lol)  Still it has such an incredible power on our lives.  Even after all the surgeries I have had, only a few of which are related all this pandoras box.. Passing is still a driving force in my own life.  If I even get a hint someone sees me as something other than what I see me as, it destroys my day. 

Ugh.  Would be nice if I could get over it once & for all, but that little nagging voice is always in the back of my head whispering dark secrets.  Shooh.   
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Doreen on May 16, 2018, 10:22:24 AM
Just saying :D  I'm not sure if posting this much is a good or a bad thing.. after all an internet trail can say a lot about you. 

Passing.. such a loaded term though.  Passing as what?  A chimpanzee in gorilla costume?  Passing implies that you're being something you are not.   Passing as a sheep, but you're really a wolf hiding.   

I know many use that term, but.. does a cis woman pass as cis woman? Of course like 95% or so do.  (Ya I made that statistic up, bite me lol)  Still it has such an incredible power on our lives.  Even after all the surgeries I have had, only a few of which are related all this pandoras box.. Passing is still a driving force in my own life.  If I even get a hint someone sees me as something other than what I see me as, it destroys my day. 

Ugh.  Would be nice if I could get over it once & for all, but that little nagging voice is always in the back of my head whispering dark secrets.  Shooh.

Doreen:
   Way too early in the morning (7:30am here) for me to go into all the different meanings for "passing" but you wrote a terrific treatise about, as you stated, such a loaded term. 

Congratulations about your 500th posting endeavor... it means that you have been an active girl here on the Forums and the post replies that I have read of yours indicates that you are always helpful and supportive to those that you share with.  Please continue on as you have been.

Although you have been a member here on Susan's Place for almost 2 years, you have really stepped up your posting activity lately and you involvement on the Forums....  I am happy that you are finding that this is a place that you wish to spend some of your time.

Now, back to passing.... .... and my morning coffee....
I enjoyed your post.
Hugs, and well wishes.
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Doreen on May 16, 2018, 10:22:24 AM

Yay 5000th Post

Passing surely is a loaded term...I was trying to think of what I am striving to achieve and I think for me blending is a better word. I don't get that same feeling any more like I used to earlier where I felt the whole room stopped and stared at me when I entered. LOL Not as often that's for sure

Whether I like it or not i too am driven a bit by this idea of wanting to "get under the radar" or blend in...when I actually do and get treated as any other woman is makes me feel stupidly happy and has a deep impact on my psyche.

I find the longer I transition the less it bothers me...I am not saying it doesn't but it seems the longer I transition the less I care what anyone thinks but that could be an age thing as well  ;)

Take care

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Doreen

Quote from: ElizabethK on May 16, 2018, 09:27:06 PM
Yay 5000th Post

Passing surely is a loaded term...I was trying to think of what I am striving to achieve and I think for me blending is a better word. I don't get that same feeling any more like I used to earlier where I felt the whole room stopped and stared at me when I entered. LOL Not as often that's for sure

Whether I like it or not i too am driven a bit by this idea of wanting to "get under the radar" or blend in...when I actually do and get treated as any other woman is makes me feel stupidly happy and has a deep impact on my psyche.

I find the longer I transition the less it bothers me...I am not saying it doesn't but it seems the longer I transition the less I care what anyone thinks but that could be an age thing as well  ;)

Take care

Liz

Honestly my own pictures & looks probably bother me more than anyone in public.  I get mammed, doors held open, etc.. even in my grungiest.  If that isn't 'blending' don't know what is.  Keep in mind I'm in the heart of redneck small town appalchia, bible belt thumpers and snowflake haters lol.  I DO like the word blending :) So much nicer.
  •  

LizK

Yeah I need a lot more work to ensure I "Blend" but I have noticed more recently that I do that a bit better than I did. I should update my profile picture which is really old maybe 9-12 months old.

You have a much tougher crowds than I do. For me a small suburb in a liberal city in a liberal state and people are very accepting. I get treated right 80% of the time but its those 20% that is likely to bring me down. But even still I consider myself very fortunate to live where I do.

Take care

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •