Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

What should I weigh?

Started by SammyHatesGreenEggs, May 19, 2018, 09:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SammyHatesGreenEggs

Hi all,

I recently hit the weight loss goal I started when I started transition (from 186lbs to 170lbs).  I realized that number was somewhat arbitrary and wanted to be a bit more purposeful in my future goals.

In general, I'm okay with my body size/shape (6'2", 38/30/39, 170lbs).  According to BMI, I'm also okay (around 22), which is important for future surgery.

However, looking at the height and weight of female celebrities (I know a transwoman and ciswoman at my height too, but felt awkward asking what they weigh), it's all over the place.  For example, Karlie Kloss is around 120lbs, Maria Sharapova is around 145, and Gwendoline Christie is 185.

After typing this all out, I realize I may be making much ado about nothing, since I'm in a good weight range for general health and surgery, I'm generally happy with my body in regards to weight and ciswomen seem to come in all sorts of weights, even at the same height.  Also, since I'm only a little past 3 months on HRT, I guess I should also see how my fat and muscle distribution shake out before thinking much more on the subject.

If anyone has any other relevants thoughts or informaiton, I'm very interested to read it.  Thanks!
  •  

Dena

Bone structure and muscle mass figure into what you should weigh. The best test is the percentage of body fat you have and your doctor can tell you how to measure that. In my case, my belly is the best indication. If I am carrying excessive fat, it ends up there so my ideal weight for 6'2" is about 160 pounds.

Body builders may need to exceed the BMI numbers to be in the healthy range because they have minimal fat and a greater than normal amount of muscle mass. Ideal weight should be determined for each person depending on the needs of their body. BMI is a good starting point but it doesn't always tell the full story.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Doreen

Quote from: Dena on May 19, 2018, 10:17:03 AM
Bone structure and muscle mass figure into what you should weigh. The best test is the percentage of body fat you have and your doctor can tell you how to measure that. In my case, my belly is the best indication. If I am carrying excessive fat, it ends up there so my ideal weight for 6'2" is about 160 pounds.

Body builders may need to exceed the BMI numbers to be in the healthy range because they have minimal fat and a greater than normal amount of muscle mass. Ideal weight should be determined for each person depending on the needs of their body. BMI is a good starting point but it doesn't always tell the full story.

6'2 and 160? ouch.  I'm 6'2 and generally fluctuate between 165-185 pounds. If I get lower than 165 I just feel like I"m going to pass out all the time & am very lethargic.  I used to be 6'2 and 150 in high school.  That was just emaciated and I looked sickly. 

BMI is a great indicator for your height what you should weigh at.  Don't want to weigh too much, don't want to weigh too little.
  •  

Deborah

The most accurate way to measure body fat yourself is with some calipers you can get from some health stores or from Amazon for under $20.  They will generally be accurate to plus or minus three percent.  There are more accurate methods you can get done professionally but they cost a lot, over $100, and may not be available anyway near where you live.  Another method is the body fat scales you can buy that measure electrical impedance through your lower body.  The downside of these for us is that hydration levels affect the results and Spiro interferes with proper hydration.

Healthy Body Fat Levels Based on Age. http://livehealthy.chron.com/healthy-body-fat-levels-based-age-3473.html

These are different for men and women with women being about five percent higher.  However, there is nothing published on what it should be for a mtf.  My feeling based on anecdotal personal experience is that it may be a little higher than it is for cis men but is lower than for cis women.  In other words it's somewhere in between.

The thing to do is find that place where your body fat is both in a healthy range and you like what you see in the mirror.  Don't worry about the scale as it may vary widely between individuals for the reasons stated by Dena.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Dena

Quote from: Doreen on May 19, 2018, 10:45:47 AM
6'2 and 160? ouch.  I'm 6'2 and generally fluctuate between 165-185 pounds. If I get lower than 165 I just feel like I"m going to pass out all the time & am very lethargic.  I used to be 6'2 and 150 in high school.  That was just emaciated and I looked sickly. 

BMI is a great indicator for your height what you should weigh at.  Don't want to weigh too much, don't want to weigh too little.
Currently I am 167-170 pounds so I am a bit over my target weight. Those last few pounds are rather difficult to remove so I am taking it very slow and easy. Up until I moved out on my own at age 25, my weight was 140 pounds. Eating my own cooking put another 5 pounds on but much latter in life cleaning up left overs, I ballooned to 203. Now I eat measured portions so hopefully 203 will be history.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Deborah

Right now I'm 5'11" and about 185 lbs with healthy body fat around 20 percent.  Last year I reduced myself to 155 lbs and thought I was too skinny.  Right now though I think I could drop to about 175 and look and feel good.

I've never been really light though.  In high school during wrestling season at this height I weighed 168 but most of my adult life I was always between 182 and 205 depending on my exercise and diet at the time.  Only once was I as low as 175 and that was after a prolonged time of severely reduced calories with high activity during Army training.

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Karen_A

Quote from: Dena on May 19, 2018, 10:17:03 AM
Bone structure and muscle mass figure into what you should weigh.

Yes those are very big factors...... There are Ideal weight calculators that that frame size into account... One method to determine frame size is to  measure the circumference of your wrist.

QuoteWomen:

Height under 5'2"
Small = wrist size less than 5.5"
Medium = wrist size 5.5" to 5.75"
Large = wrist size over 5.75"

Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
Small = wrist size less than 6"
Medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25"
Large = wrist size over 6.25"

Height over 5' 5"
Small = wrist size less than 6.25"
Medium = wrist size 6.25" to 6.5"
Large = wrist size over 6.5"

Men:

Height over 5' 5"
Small = wrist size 5.5" to 6.5"
Medium = wrist size 6.5" to 7.5"
Large = wrist size over 7.5"

Mine is 6.75", so for a woman I have a large frame size.

Then you can use a calculator such as:
http://www.superskinnyme.com/ideal_weight_calculator.html

But there are others that consider frame size as well.

But age complicates things even more... When I was in my 30's before transition I was 5'11.75"... and now in my 60's I am 5'7.25" ... so what height should I use? in addition I have scolioses that was present before I lost height... and that likely means all along my height should have been an inch or 2 more!

To determine what weight I should be I suspect I would need one of those expensive body fat determinations (lost a LOT of weight and  have a lot of loose skin so calipers won't work!)

Anyway it's important not to get too low... and recent studies show better over all health if one is SLIGHTLY overweight (not obese) by BMI... I suspect that is because ones body has some reserves to deal with illness.

- Karen
  •  

SammyHatesGreenEggs

Thanks to everyone who has commented.  This has been great information and thoughts.

Thankfully, I live in an area where I could get my fat level measured by a professional, so I think I'll look into that this summer.

The frame size calculator is also neat.  My wrist size was just shy of 6.5", confirming that I suspected I had small wrist size for a man.  Unfortunately, the weight calculator provided only works for women up to 6" in height but it was interesting to see the suggested weight for a man with a small frame at 6"2 (155-168) man with a medium frame at 6'2" (164-178) and for a woman with medium frame at 6" (148-162) and woman with large frame at 6" (158-179).

Given those ranges, I think I may try to get to 165 and see how I feel/look. 
  •  

Mendi

You should weight whatever weight makes you feel comfortable.
  •  

Deborah

I thought to post this link as I have found it useful when diet planning.

QuoteBody Weight Planner

The Body Weight Planner allows users to make personalized calorie and physical activity plans to reach a goal weight within a specific time period and to maintain it afterwards.

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/weight-management/body-weight-planner

U.S. Army Retired
  •