Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Writing the Hard Stuff

Started by DannyM, May 21, 2018, 12:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyM

In addition to all the stuff happening in my real life, I'm a budding author.

Somebody recently said to me on another forum...
QuoteSometimes I worry when watching you in the forums that you're trying to win over people who are actively opposed to people such as me and your spouse, as well as certain themes. That's not what fiction does.

Do you agree? Is winning over others who aren't living this "not my job" or an exercise in frustration?
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@DannyM    It is great to see you, as a brand new member to Susan's Place, posting on the Forums and getting involved with the things that interest you on here.   
Be certain to look at the LINKS that I posted on my Welcome Message to you on the other thread that you started....  the information there will be a big help to you for navigating around the site successfully and also knowing the ins and outs of the rules here.
Enjoy your time here on Susan's Place and continue to be involved as much as you feel comfortable doing.... and without a doubt you will find that you will make new friends here.
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

IndieCred

Hey, I'm an aspiring novelist myself, and from what I've come to understand, it's the authors responsibility to tell not just a story but a viewpoint. All fiction is inherently political, religious, pro and anti issues, and much more. You can't have a story without taking a side, even if it's not the side you personally agree with.

In writing a story, you are living that character's life with them, and the same goes for reading it. Making the audience empathetic to the characters can be extremely difficult if they are very different from one another, but not impossible. Sure, some will read it and not connect, but that's going to happen no matter what.

I'm not a Muslim child, I never grew up in Afghanistan, and I never had to go through the tribulations Amir did in "The Kite Runner", but that didn't stop me from connecting with him on an emotional level and empathizing with him in his pain. The main character in Chuck Palahniuk's book "Choke" is awful. He's a loathesome human being, and you're not supposed to empathize with him fully. But by living his life with him, learning about his past, you begin to understand him better as a person. You probably wouldn't condone his choices, but you have come to understand him as a human being with flaws and desires all the same, and you begin to feel for him. You don't have to agree with a book to enjoy it and learn from it.

This became quickly disjointed, but I guess what I'm getting at is that you're not trying to "win over" the audience with your views as much as you are trying to make them feel and see what your characters do, whether or not they agree with it. Fiction is all about taking a new point of view and running with it, exploring it. Otherwise, how can we write convincing villains? If they agree with everything you do, and don't go against the grain or bring up new ideas, they fall flat. Same for our heroes, they have to have something that sets them apart or makes them different from everyone else.

Fiction does try to change people's opinions. On everything, always. That's the whole point. That's why we write it. We weave together stories with the intent to give a new perspective, a new idea, or just to reaffirm old ones. Then, it's up to the reader to either agree or disagree, but at the end of the day, they have been confronted with the viewpoint and have better understanding on it. It's entertainment and escapism, but it's also a chance to see things from a new perspective and learn about yourself as you learn about the character.

Don't stop writing what you feel you need to write. If someone doesn't like it, that's okay. You can't please everyone, nor should you try. The only person that your writing should ever really matter to is yourself. If you like how it's come out, then that's the most important part. Take their criticism, learn from it, and keep writing.

Sorry, got a bit passionate there.  :embarrassed:
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: IndieCred on May 22, 2018, 08:08:24 PM
Hey, I'm an aspiring novelist myself, and from what I've come to understand, it's the authors responsibility to tell not just a story but a viewpoint. All fiction is inherently political, religious, pro and anti issues, and much more. You can't have a story without taking a side, even if it's not the side you personally agree with.

In writing a story, you are living that character's life with them, and the same goes for reading it. Making the audience empathetic to the characters can be extremely difficult if they are very different from one another, but not impossible. Sure, some will read it and not connect, but that's going to happen no matter what.

I'm not a Muslim child, I never grew up in Afghanistan, and I never had to go through the tribulations Amir did in "The Kite Runner", but that didn't stop me from connecting with him on an emotional level and empathizing with him in his pain. The main character in Chuck Palahniuk's book "Choke" is awful. He's a loathesome human being, and you're not supposed to empathize with him fully. But by living his life with him, learning about his past, you begin to understand him better as a person. You probably wouldn't condone his choices, but you have come to understand him as a human being with flaws and desires all the same, and you begin to feel for him. You don't have to agree with a book to enjoy it and learn from it.

This became quickly disjointed, but I guess what I'm getting at is that you're not trying to "win over" the audience with your views as much as you are trying to make them feel and see what your characters do, whether or not they agree with it. Fiction is all about taking a new point of view and running with it, exploring it. Otherwise, how can we write convincing villains? If they agree with everything you do, and don't go against the grain or bring up new ideas, they fall flat. Same for our heroes, they have to have something that sets them apart or makes them different from everyone else.

Fiction does try to change people's opinions. On everything, always. That's the whole point. That's why we write it. We weave together stories with the intent to give a new perspective, a new idea, or just to reaffirm old ones. Then, it's up to the reader to either agree or disagree, but at the end of the day, they have been confronted with the viewpoint and have better understanding on it. It's entertainment and escapism, but it's also a chance to see things from a new perspective and learn about yourself as you learn about the character.

Don't stop writing what you feel you need to write. If someone doesn't like it, that's okay. You can't please everyone, nor should you try. The only person that your writing should ever really matter to is yourself. If you like how it's come out, then that's the most important part. Take their criticism, learn from it, and keep writing.

Sorry, got a bit passionate there.  :embarrassed:

@IndieCred  ... very nicely written with truth as the central theme.  I am looking forward to seeing more of your posts and other posts by @DannyM on this thread.
I would like to give both of you a heads up about a new related thread that has just been started, it would be nice if you could take a look and feel free to post your thoughts there also if you desire.

"Susans Writers and Book Group, Members Submissions"
            https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,237827.0.html

I will enjoy seeing your posts on here and on the thread that I just mentioned.
Danielle

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •