News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Susans Writers and Book Readers

Started by Northern Star Girl, May 21, 2018, 06:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KatieP

Quote from: DustKitten on August 07, 2018, 06:07:11 PM

Speaking of which, is anyone else waiting on The Winds of Winter? I've read the whole Song of Ice and Fire series 3 times since A Dance with Dragons was released, and I refuse to watch past season 4 of the show until the next book is done. I want to read the real thing first.

THAT is such a great idea! I have read the 5 only once. Then I watched the first two seasons of the TV version, and stopped because I couldn't remember which details came from which medium. (Although I own the DVDs for all released seasons, they just sit...)

But I really should go back through that series.

And of course, I have to get a Debbie Macomber book on the list, given the glowing recommendations here...

Katie
  •  

DustKitten

I started reading Animal: The Autobiography of a Female Body, by Sara Pascoe, a couple of days ago. I'm only halfway through, and I know it gets more serious towards the end, but I'm really enjoying it so far. A good chunk of it covers human evolution from a female perspective, so maybe don't read it if you don't believe in evolution for religious reasons, but I'd recommend it to anyone else.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: DustKitten on August 15, 2018, 04:54:38 PM
I started reading Animal: The Autobiography of a Female Body, by Sara Pascoe, a couple of days ago. I'm only halfway through, and I know it gets more serious towards the end, but I'm really enjoying it so far. A good chunk of it covers human evolution from a female perspective, so maybe don't read it if you don't believe in evolution for religious reasons, but I'd recommend it to anyone else.

@DustKitten

Thank you for posting about the recent book that you have started reading.   Whether one does or does not believe in evolution for any reason, it is good to read literature that may or may not hold to one's own views.   
That is what seems to be missing in many areas of our lives lately, exploring, respecting and accepting other's personal views while still holding on to our own.

I will be looking forward to an update from you about "Animal" as you get into the book a little further.
Meanwhile I will do a little surfing the web and browse the book a little myself.

Thank you for following this thread and for sharing and posting.
Hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

DustKitten

I've finished reading it. I'm not usually much for non-fiction, but I loved the book. I found it entertaining, informative, and sometimes thought-provoking; I think it an excellent feminist read. It's less of an autobiography and more a collection of thoughts on women in general, with specific emphasis on love, evolution, and women's rights in modern society.
  •  

SallyChoasAura

So not really a book, but is anyone else super addicted to fanfiction right now? Or am I just a weirdo?😅
  •  

QuincestuallyAurtastic

Quote from: SallyChoasAura on August 17, 2018, 07:48:54 PM
So not really a book, but is anyone else super addicted to fanfiction right now? Or am I just a weirdo?😅
I've never been a fan, of "reading" fan fiction to be honest. mostly because nobody writes much fanfiction for the stuff I'm into, or if they do, I haven't found any that's up to my standards.

I really like the idea of it though. like how fanfiction, is essentially a hivemind, exploring and filling in all the possible story routes, that the author discarded.

I'm very into webcomics though, oh and Quests, are fascinating.
It's one of my dreams, to create a webcomic where the fans themselves, create the plot, or direct the course of the story.

What sort of fanfiction are you into?
anybody else here into webcomics? (or perhaps I should go start a new thread for this topic?)
  •  

SallyChoasAura

I do read some webcomics, but it depends on what it's about.
I basically just read fanfiction about any fandom that I'm into at the time. Like South Park, Undertale, Tangled: The Series, Epic Mickey, Pokemon, TMNT, and much MUCH more...
I live in waaaaaaaaaaay too many fandoms. 😅
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: SallyChoasAura on August 19, 2018, 12:11:59 AM
I do read some webcomics, but it depends on what it's about.
I basically just read fanfiction about any fandom that I'm into at the time. Like South Park, Undertale, Tangled: The Series, Epic Mickey, Pokemon, TMNT, and much MUCH more...
I live in waaaaaaaaaaay too many fandoms. 😅

@SallyChoasAura

Thank you for sharing and posting here.

My reading interests are divided among many very diverse subjects....
Lately the books I am reading are ....
Romance Novels
...  and
non-fiction History.

Wow, those are certainly diverse subjects for sure.

Again,  thanks for posting.
Danielle

•  

KatieP

Hi Danielle,
Based on your Debbie Macomber recommendation, I bought "Alaska Skies..." although I haven't gotten to it yet. But today, I saw that "Cottage by the Sea" was high in the NYT Best Sellers list, which is a place one does not often see "Romance" novels. This made me think it might be a superior example of DM's books. So, my question to you is: Have you read, "Cottage By the Sea" and should I start there instead of the "Alaska Skies?"

;D

Katie
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: KatieP on August 19, 2018, 02:46:55 PM
Hi Danielle,
Based on your Debbie Macomber recommendation, I bought "Alaska Skies..." although I haven't gotten to it yet. But today, I saw that "Cottage by the Sea" was high in the NYT Best Sellers list, which is a place one does not often see "Romance" novels. This made me think it might be a superior example of DM's books. So, my question to you is: Have you read, "Cottage By the Sea" and should I start there instead of the "Alaska Skies?"

;D

Katie

@KatieP
Dear Katie: In between the other books I am currently reading  I have indeed read Cottage By the Sea... it is a wonderful book....    but I still prefer the Alaska Skies books... perhaps because of where I live... but nevertheless, the Alaska Skies books are my favorite.
You won't go wrong reading any of those titles however I think that you should start with Alaska Skies, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for your comments and for following.
Hugs,
Danielle

•  

Alice V

Quoteanybody else here into webcomics?
I'm following few webcomics that was translated to my language and some written in my language. In last time it mostly Menage a 3 (with Sandra and and Dilly spinoffs), Goblins: Life through their eyes, Oglaf.

In books I prefer stories about people suddenly moved to another worlds (though there is a lot of bad stuff, sometimes I finding decent things :) ). My most favorite series in such genre are "Project Roleplayer" and "Nik" (both russians so perhaps it'll tell you nothing). If you know some good books in this genre please tell me :)

I also like interactive stuff like games from "choiceofgames". Dunno if it can be considered books... Maybe, little ones :) My favorite author there is Zachary Sergi with "Heroes Rise" and "Versus" series.

QuoteSo not really a book, but is anyone else super addicted to fanfiction right now?
I've read few ff about Harry Potter, Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Mostly it so poor that it hard to read it to the end, but some ff really shine :)
"Don't try and blame me for your sins,
For the sun has burn me black.
Your hollow lives, this world in which we live -
I hurl it back."©Bruce Dickinson

My place
  •  

islandgirl

I am reading 'The Price of Salt, or Carol' by Patricia Highsmith. So far so good!
  •  

LizK

I just read a book that was way out of my usual reading Zone and that was called "The Sea of Rust"....just a really good yarn and about 1/3 the way into the book you begin to recognise the character traits of the protagonists are very similar to human beings...in fact it relates to discrimination and separation of the classes very differently from your normal narrative. I highly recommend this book and award it 8 out of 10 " Gold Stilettos " for being such a great read.

Take care

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: LizK on August 20, 2018, 05:48:22 PM
I just read a book that was way out of my usual reading Zone and that was called "The Sea of Rust"....just a really good yarn and about 1/3 the way into the book you begin to recognise the character traits of the protagonists are very similar to human beings...in fact it relates to discrimination and separation of the classes very differently from your normal narrative. I highly recommend this book and award it 8 out of 10 " Gold Stilettos " for being such a great read.

Take care

Liz

@LizK
Dear Liz:
Thank you for your book report on "The Sea of Rust" ... 

My book club that I belong to reviewed the book and we determined that it will be on our list as a book that our club will want to read... perhaps this fall.

Thanks for following this thread and for providing your thoughts....
Hugs,
Danielle

•  

KatieP

I just finished the first book in Alaska Skies. I don't know if Macomber is a new fav yet, but I did cry a lot at the end when Sawyer was giving away his most priceless treasures. And it was enough that I have to go do a different genera before I can go back for the second book... 😁

Katie
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: KatieP on August 24, 2018, 06:04:39 PM
I just finished the first book in Alaska Skies. I don't know if Macomber is a new fav yet, but I did cry a lot at the end when Sawyer was giving away his most priceless treasures. And it was enough that I have to go do a different genera before I can go back for the second book... 😁

Katie

@KatieP
Dear Katie:
When you are ready to go back to the Alaska Skies series, there is no doubt in my mind that the 2nd book will be another good reading experience, but be certain to have a box of tissues nearby because they will be more crying involved.
I will be looking for your next report on your next book that you are reading and then I will much anticipate your report on the 2nd Alaska Skies book.
Hugs,
Danielle

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: islandgirl on August 19, 2018, 07:15:14 PM
I am reading 'The Price of Salt, or Carol' by Patricia Highsmith. So far so good!

@islandgirl
My dear Kelly,
Please don't leave us all hanging....   even if you have not finished "The Price of Salt" ...
... how about an interim book report???
Hugs,
Danielle

•  

islandgirl

Ok!

I could not get into it! The movie Carol was based on this book.  Too slow going for me to continue! I am not saying that it was not well written, but I was not in the mood for such a story. 

I am now reading 'Something Better than Home' by Leona Beasley. I am finding this book very good! The flow is better and I am hooked in earlier so I am involved in the character's development.  I am really into lesbian fiction lately and have read quite a few different novels. Unfortunately, I am running low in titles that are carried through my local library system.

The last couple of authors that I have enjoyed were T.A. Tracy and J.M. Redmann.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: KatieP on August 24, 2018, 06:04:39 PM

Katie
@KatieP
Dear Katie:
Well, what have you decided about starting on the 3nd Alaska Skies book???   
I know that you will enjoy it!!!   
I will be looking forward to your comments and book reports no matter what books you want to read....

Thank  you for reading and following this thread. Your comments are always welcome.

Hugs and well wishes,
Danielle

•  

KatieP

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on September 01, 2018, 09:54:48 PM
@KatieP
Dear Katie:
Well, what have you decided about starting on the 3nd Alaska Skies book???   
I know that you will enjoy it!!!   
I will be looking forward to your comments and book reports no matter what books you want to read....

Thank  you for reading and following this thread. Your comments are always welcome.

Hugs and well wishes,
Danielle

So, I am just finishing The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn. A Journalist/writer friend of mine said it was the best debut book she had read. At 92% done, I am much less impressed. The main reveal (to the 92% point) was really obvious, and the secondary reveal (to the 92% point) was an either/or with no evidence given to us to know a priori. So far, not so great for me.

I don't know if I will go back to the second Alaska Skies book next or the second Jane Hawk book by Dean Koonz. The series is less a horror story than one might expect from Koonz, and at least the first Jane Hawk book demonstrates Koonz's great writing ability. I also have a couple of Stephen King books (The Outsider, and Sleeping Beauties) waiting. So, sort of, too many enticing choices.  ;D

Katie
  •