Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Susans Writers and Book Readers

Started by Northern Star Girl, May 21, 2018, 06:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

islandgirl

I just finished a 'Justifiable risk', a novel by VK Powell. I found that I could not put it down! A quick read and really hot at times! Next up is the second book in the Micky Knight series by J.M. Redmann, ' Deaths of Jocasta'.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: islandgirl on January 29, 2019, 06:25:04 PM
I just finished a 'Justifiable risk', a novel by VK Powell. I found that I could not put it down! A quick read and really hot at times! Next up is the second book in the Micky Knight series by J.M. Redmann, ' Deaths of Jocasta'.
@islandgirl
Dear Kelly:
I have been waiting for a report of the "Justifiable Risk" book that you read.   Also do you have an interem report of the next book  "Deaths of Jocasta" ???

The winter weather you have been experiencing is certainly conducive to sitting in your comfy chair with a blanket and reading your favorite books.

Hugs,
Danielle

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

islandgirl

Oops! I have completed both books! Both very, for me, excellent! I couldn't put them down and unfortunately, now have to search for the next in the series! I would recommend them to anyone who likes  mysteries with a lesbian main character. They are also 'HOT'! I like the writing style of both authors. Easy reads yet the characters are relatable.

•  

krobinson103

As requested a little mantra I wrote early transition to keep me focused on the moment. I've found it valuable.

Every day is a totally awesome day
Every day provides opportunities and challenges
Every challenge leads to an opportunity
Every fear faced leads to one more strength
Every strength leads to greater success
Success leads to self esteem
Self Esteem leads to happiness.
Cherish every day.
Every day is a totally awesome day
Every day provides opportunities and challenges
Every challenge leads to an opportunity
Every fear faced leads to one more strength
Every strength leads to greater success
Success leads to self esteem
Self Esteem leads to happiness.
Cherish every day.
  •  

islandgirl

I have started 'I'll Be Leaving You Always' by Sandra Scoppettone. A while back, I  read another one of hers  and really liked it. Again this group of novels has a lesbian P.I. So far this book lives up to expectations. I will let y'all know how it goes.

Happy reading! Keep sharing you favourites!

Kelly
  •  

Donica

I just purchased a paperback called "Shadow Life, Aerospace, Love and Secrets" by Jenna Ware. A friend told me about it and loaned me her book but there are a few other people in line that want to read it too. So I will start with my friends copy and finish with my copy when it arrives.

It's based on a true story about a trans women and her husband living in Ventura County, California, (Right in my own back yard) along the same lines as "The Danish Girl" and the book that @Steph2.0 told us about "A Light In The Dark" by Stephenie Robinson, which was also a very good read BTW. The movie "The Danish Girl" still brings me to tears every time I think about it.

I'm going to need a few more boxes of tissues.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Since I am in the field of Accounting and Financial Planning with my business I would like to share my little "writing" detailing some of my thoughts in this current busy tax season....
Here is a little summary of my thoughts about Economics and Money mangement...

Read and enjoy,
Danielle

For all of us no matter what country we live in, wouldn't it be fantastic to have our
fiscal policy managed by those in charge that have actually held real jobs, managed businesses, hired employees, earned profits and had been compelled to earn a living for themselves?

We owe a great deal to our forefathers and founders, and that's another debt we will probably never be able to repay.

The "modern" way of doing things is:
               to drive a car that is still unpaid for,
               on an expressway that is bond-financed,
               using gasoline that is bought with a credit card.

A very good friend of mine gave me a little wall hanging that states....

OLD ACCOUNTANTS NEVER DIE --
           THEY JUST LOSE THEIR BALANCE.

•  

Northern Star Girl

To my readers and followers:
Even if you are a not a "student" of mathematics and physics you will find this a wonderful book to read.
Richard Feynman was probably the most brilliant mathematician and Nobel prize-winning physicist in the 20th century.

Even though he died in February 1988, almost exactly 8 years after I was born, his material and college study books in theoretical physics and mathematics were a must read years later in many of my higher level college mathematics courses in the early decade of 2000.

The beginning highlights of his life involved working the mathematical intricacies of atomic fission in the WW2 Manhattan Project in New Mexico and then the earmark of his fame and intelligence culminated in solving the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster with the solid fuel boosters.

This book is FUN TO READ
Once started it is hard to put down, it is a "page turner" for sure.
...no hard concepts ....with simple and fun explanations and his life stories that will grab your interest and that easily make sense to even a non-scientific and/or non-mathematical reader.
The author James Gleick has written many scientific books with the same fun and easy to read concept.

Even though this book was first published in 1992, it was about 10 years later when I was in college in my early to mid 20's I read this book with a lot of interest as it fit in with some of my college courses and was high on the my Professor's reading list.

To my joy, I just picked up a used copy at a book store last month and I have just started reading it again, and now at 39 years old about 15 years later it has not lost it's luster and catches my interest once again.

I might suggest that if you are so inclined that you might want to give it a try, it is a wonderful book that can make very "light reading" out of complex and very interesting subjects.

Hugs and happy reading........
Danielle

•  

Northern Star Girl

OK, Writers and Book Readers and followers of this thread.

It has been quite a while since some of you have posted here.

I hope that you are aware that this is a place that you can share your writings, poems, quotations, and other stories and articles that you wish to share.

This is also a place to tell the followers here of any books or publications that you have found interesting.

I still read books written on paper, with paper pages that I can dog-ear and bookmark the old-fashioned way.
For me there is nothing more enjoyable, especially on a cold and rainy night, to curl up in my comfortable chair in front of my fireplace and get captivated by a good and interesting book...   
... I trust and hope that you also enjoy such "old-school" activities as well.

I will be looking forward to your replies with your submission of writings, interesting quotes and poems.... and any books that your are presently reading or have found interesting and wish to share your thoughts.

Best Wishes,
Danielle

•  

Jessica

Well, I'll only add what strikes me as 'on-topic' and to the moment is the book series that based the popular Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.
Unfortunately Martin was a bit slow in his writings that the HBO show eclipsed it and was finished in script form.  There are blatant changes made from the books that were written, but HBO gave a very good plot line throughout.

And in the Battle of Winterfell, two teenage girls are the heroines.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

islandgirl

Since  moving to Victoria, I have been reading a lot! Probably too much as I find myself spending too much time by myself! Anyway, I have been reading about a dozen books every three weeks. I have just finished Femme Noir by Clara Nipper and now am reading the second book, Kiss Noir. Easy reads and very enjoyable. I will have to go back to my reading history in my Library account to pick out a couple of other favourites. I definitely recommend Claire McNab's series featuring Detective Carol Ashton. I have read the first four novels and can't wait to get my hands on the next four.  These stories take place in Australia.

With the nice weather I do need to get out running and to the gym! Ukulele practices have started for our new band! So lots to do!

Happy reading!
Hugs,
Kelly
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Dear Forum Friends.... 
I was able to find this thread that was "lost'  because of the recent site crash.

Like so many things here on the Forum .... postings and comments for the last several years are now gone. 
I will become active again on this thread and submit my postings regarding the books and other things that I have been reading and writing lately. 

Please join me in getting this thread up to date with any new comments and book reports.

Start at the beginning comment#1 of this thread and take a look at the previous comments on this thread to get the drift of how your postings can be structured.

I will be eagerly looking for your contributions on this thread.

HUGS, Danielle

•  

Emma1017

Hi Danielle: 

Every time I try to update my profile photo I get timed out. I know you all have a lot on your plate trying to rebuild the site but I wanted to bring this to your attention in case anyone else is having a problem.

Warmly,

Emma

•  

Northern Star Girl

@Emma1017
Dear Emma:
Send me a Private Forum message with your avatar/profile photo, 
I will try to get it posted on your profile ASAP.
HUGS, Danielle

Quote from: Emma1017 on January 07, 2024, 10:23:23 AMHi Danielle: 

Every time I try to update my profile photo I get timed out. I know you all have a lot on your plate trying to rebuild the site but I wanted to bring this to your attention in case anyone else is having a problem.

Warmly,

Emma

•  

ChrissyRyan

I enjoyed reading Patrick Stuart's memoir.  Fascinating.

I encourage you to get ahold of a copy and read it.  Make it so!

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@ChrissyRyan
Dear Chrissy:
Yes indeed, the Patrick Stuart book was a very fun read... I did a book report on it here
on this thread but it got "lost" due to the recent January 01, 2024  New Year's site CRASH. 

Yes, I agree, get a hold of a copy and read it.  Make it so !!!!

HUGS and happy reading....

Danielle

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on January 13, 2024, 10:01:44 PM
I enjoyed reading Patrick Stuart's memoir.  Fascinating.

I encourage you to get ahold of a copy and read it.  Make it so!

Chrissy

•  

ChrissyRyan

I did not know he had three wives, and many other interesting tidbits.

Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •