Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

How to achieve a female voice

Started by TranSketch, May 30, 2018, 09:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne

I recently started combining voice practice with the preparation for my next programming certification which means reading programming books out loud and trying my best to sound female. I record some of the sessions to be later analyzed and I sometimes use VocalPitchMonitor on Android as well.
It's so much fun to experiment with different styles and voices while reading a serious programming book :laugh:
It may not be the most effective method but I enjoy it way more this way :)
  •  

Maya2018

My current range is 120hz avg while speaking and 160hz when really trying to bring it up. Is this something I can fix with training, or do I need to just skip ahead to surgery?
  •  

Maid Marion

You may also need to modulate your voice and enunciate words better.  Ending your sentences can be hard for some.  You can start learning this now, before surgery. When stressed, I end my sentences *exactly* like a woman.
  •  

Kendra

Quote from: Maya2018 on December 19, 2018, 02:38:30 AM
My current range is 120hz avg while speaking and 160hz when really trying to bring it up. Is this something I can fix with training, or do I need to just skip ahead to surgery?

Be very careful with VFS surgery.  A terrible percentage have had their voice permanently damaged or even destroyed from surgery.  Also a few have had unrecoverable damage from an incompetent cosmetic tracheal shave.  If you are considering VFS, research carefully and literally talk to other patients, make your decision based on long term goals and not convenience (location). 

I am happy with my VFS and still healing (March 2018) but it doesn't magically solve speech.  Unlike other MtF surgeries, I'd call this an assist and not a complete solution as it helps with pitch but not all the other things that form speech.  I had professional voice training before VFS and then found I needed training after VFS.  I am still learning. 

Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

NatalieRene

VFS really is not always needed.

If you can get into the 180hz range and learn inflection and resonance the voice would be passable.

Even then I never had VFS and even so at the end of the day this is my typical speaking voice.

It really is possible. Part of what helps me is voice is I try to sing this every day:
  •  

ChrissyRyan

For 2019, feminine voice is my number one transitioning skill development priority.

I may pickup some of these apps and I will study this thread very carefully, very soon.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Lynne

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on December 19, 2018, 04:07:09 PM
For 2019, feminine voice is my number one transitioning skill development priority.

I may pickup some of these apps and I will study this thread very carefully, very soon.

Chrissy

I think maybe you would be interested in the Anyone interested? thread as well.
  •  

Sam1066

I really love that this thread is still going!

I'm in the same boat as a previous poster, not on HRT, but practicing my voice because I can.

I've found two kinds of throat exercises that have had different effects for me, and my best results have come from combining them. I'm still working on the ratio of the two.

First is what I call "up", where I (with my throat muscles) pull my larynx straight up as if into the bottom of my mouth. I found that after a few weeks of this exercise alone my speaking pitch would go up, especially after holding this for more than 5 minutes at a time. I also found that this extended the upper end of my vocal range when I "sweep" my voice high - low - high.

The kicker is that my voice would still crack right around where I want it to be.

The second thing I've tried is "back" where j pull my larynx back into my neck, this also causes it to move upwards but not in the same way as "up", and it uses different neck muscles. After doing only this my vocal range didnt really change, but my voice would not crack as I sweep it high - low - high.

So I've found that combining both helps me get higher pitch and no cracking, I try to do this any time I walk someplace as I can do it pretty stealth, and i think that it has made a difference for me, I've been told i sound somewhat androgynous.

Sam?
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: NatalieRene on December 19, 2018, 01:07:35 PM

If you can get into the 180hz range and learn inflection and resonance the voice would be passable.

Even then I never had VFS and even so at the end of the day this is my typical speaking voice.

It really is possible. Part of what helps me is voice is I try to sing this every day:

Natalie,

Wow.   So "sing song" pleasant is your feminine voice.  This is an example of the beautiful enduring quality of female voice that I desire to achieve. 

I will work harder until I do.  I will be patient. 

You are an inspiration to me.  Thank you.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

NatalieRene

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on December 20, 2018, 08:52:14 PM

Natalie,

Wow.   So "sing song" pleasant is your feminine voice.  This is an example of the beautiful enduring quality of female voice that I desire to achieve. 

I will work harder until I do.  I will be patient. 

You are an inspiration to me.  Thank you.

Chrissy
Thank you. My suggestion is follow along with the singing exercises and sing along with Queen songs. You'll strengthen your muscles. Think of the voice as a wind instrument. Once you find it keep practicing. I still have my issues but it all boils down to will and practice. Just do it. ;D
  •  

Linde

I am a little shocked!  I have a hard time to reach the low D!  It makes m y throat hurt a little each time I have to hit that low DO.
But again, I have no problem with the pitch of my voice, but that darn speech pattern is what bothers me!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Lynne

Wait... Is this your voice? :o Are you sure you are not a cis female singer? :) I have a looong way to go :icon_cry:..
  •  

NatalieRene

Quote from: Lynne on December 21, 2018, 07:43:41 AM
Wait... Is this your voice? :o Are you sure you are not a cis female singer? :) I have a looong way to go :icon_cry:..
Only the top one is me. The second one is just an exercise I found that helps me.
  •  

Lynne

Quote from: NatalieRene on December 21, 2018, 08:22:27 AM
Only the top one is me. The second one is just an exercise I found that helps me.

Even if only the top one is you.. wow..
  •  

Linde

I played a little with the Voice Pitch Analyzer app, to see at what pitch I could read the entire "Dorian Grey" text, without taking a break during reading (not for water, either).
When I worked a little on it it, I reached a max of 299 Hz, and an average of 220 Hz.  My min average was 181 Hz, my max average was 258 Hz.  Which means, I am in the middle of the female range, with the high frequencies being higher than the average female range. 
But I don't like the sound of my voice in this range, it sounds very metallic (I would compare it to a male tenor voice).  I am sure that I could maintain this pitch, if I would work a little on it.

But my more natural voice has a max average of 237 Hz, and  an average of 195 Hz.  I like the sound of this voice better, it is softer, and that is the voice I have when I sing mezzo soprano.  I think I will cultivate this voice level more, and work on it, to get off of that stupid male speech pattern.

Interesting is that it slowly seems to get harder for me to continuously talk in a lower pitch male voice level, which was, of course never very natural for me, but I learned how to do it.  Now I have to fully unlearn it again!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

DawnOday

I am trying to get a study group together to work on voice training. I plan to start the first of the year.  I am using the training material I got from Emily, my voice trainer. The idea is to gather weekly for about ten weeks. Since Susan's has a base from around the world we will more than likely shoot for 10 A.M. here which translates to 6:00 P.M. London time. I live in the Pacific Time Zone. Right now we have five participants who have expressed interest. I plan to start a blog in the next week or so to post more information such as Agenda, references, Skype information. Q and A.  I want to make sure we all know I am not a Speech Pathologist but I did stay at the Holiday Express. Seriously, I spent quite a bit of time with Emily over the last year. Besides voice, I plan to cover presentation, mannerisms, confidence and putting it all together.  Please send a PM if you want to be included. Before you consider surgery, why not give this a try. 

Dawn

Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

NatalieRene

Quote from: Dietlind on December 21, 2018, 09:07:29 AM
I played a little with the Voice Pitch Analyzer app, to see at what pitch I could read the entire "Dorian Grey" text, without taking a break during reading (not for water, either).
When I worked a little on it it, I reached a max of 299 Hz, and an average of 220 Hz.  My min average was 181 Hz, my max average was 258 Hz.  Which means, I am in the middle of the female range, with the high frequencies being higher than the average female range. 
But I don't like the sound of my voice in this range, it sounds very metallic (I would compare it to a male tenor voice).  I am sure that I could maintain this pitch, if I would work a little on it.

But my more natural voice has a max average of 237 Hz, and  an average of 195 Hz.  I like the sound of this voice better, it is softer, and that is the voice I have when I sing mezzo soprano.  I think I will cultivate this voice level more, and work on it, to get off of that stupid male speech pattern.

Interesting is that it slowly seems to get harder for me to continuously talk in a lower pitch male voice level, which was, of course never very natural for me, but I learned how to do it.  Now I have to fully unlearn it again!

My voice cracks at low levels but I don't like to use it. The train how you fight and you fight how you train. That was something my Captain told me in high school Naval NJROTC and it stuck with me. If you keep using the male voice pattern it becomes more difficult for the feminine voice to be the muscle memory.
  •  

NatalieRene

Quote from: DawnOday on December 21, 2018, 10:00:40 AM
I am trying to get a study group together to work on voice training. I plan to start the first of the year.  I am using the training material I got from Emily, my voice trainer. The idea is to gather weekly for about ten weeks. Since Susan's has a base from around the world we will more than likely shoot for 10 A.M. here which translates to 6:00 P.M. London time. I live in the Pacific Time Zone. Right now we have five participants who have expressed interest. I plan to start a blog in the next week or so to post more information such as Agenda, references, Skype information. Q and A.  I want to make sure we all know I am not a Speech Pathologist but I did stay at the Holiday Express. Seriously, I spent quite a bit of time with Emily over the last year. Besides voice, I plan to cover presentation, mannerisms, confidence and putting it all together.  Please send a PM if you want to be included. Before you consider surgery, why not give this a try. 

Dawn
I'm in but I cannot join in the meetings until after the 2nd of January. I have a list of Skype addresses that where provided to me by people here and one from the forum formerly known as Laura's Playground. When I get back to the computer I'll send them to you. This shouldn't e a breach of trust as it is for the same purpose the sent me their accounts for. Those who pm'd me let me know before this evening if you object and I'll withhold your account name.  ;D
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: NatalieRene on December 20, 2018, 09:55:14 PM
Thank you. My suggestion is follow along with the singing exercises and sing along with Queen songs. You'll strengthen your muscles. Think of the voice as a wind instrument. Once you find it keep practicing. I still have my issues but it all boils down to will and practice. Just do it. ;D

I will do it.

When you said to sing along with Queen songs, do you mean songs sung by the performing group Queen, who sang the song, "We Are Champions"?

Chrissy
  •  

NatalieRene

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on December 21, 2018, 06:18:59 PM

I will do it.

When you said to sing along with Queen songs, do you mean songs sung by the performing group Queen, who sang the song, "We Are Champions"?

Chrissy
Yes. That's them.
  •