Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Had a few idea's I wanted to swing by people first

Started by Amaki, May 31, 2018, 09:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amaki

Ok so how my mind coped for years before I started too actually open up is with very creative dreams, I took to writing out these dreams and maybe flushing those out a bit more once I wrote down the idea. These I haven't started working on so I feel ok asking for honest feedback. (The few I have started working on I won't write here yet but this creative blog will definitely give you a taste of where I might be going)

Ok so names of characters can change most names I've only given as placeholders anyway so to being with.
------------------------------------------
In this dream I pictured 3 kids, they must have been maybe oldest was about 13 if that. These kids seemed to be friends the three of them where in a school setting, as the dream went forward it actually bounced to different parts of the school.

So the main part of the dream I remember was this, the three kids one was a boy he was a bit small but nothing out of the ordinary brown hair not too short but not overly long either. Now this kid and all the kids in my dream where special for lack of better words they have superhuman type powers, the boys powers (taken from the dream and modified) he was like magneto but he could only move non-pure metals (in the dream he caused a bully's fillings to vibrate and making the bully leave) I later added that he could only left about 10 lbs. with this ability.

The next kid is a girl, she and the boy seemed to be close maybe long term friends, secret crush I don't know but I did add the fact this girl does have a crush on the boy. Now she had a bit of the emo look to her, the classic dark clothes the black hair covering the eyes the whole nine yards. Her ability was the ability to control sound waves, she actually didn't talk in the dream (not that I'd heard it anyway but the mind does give voices sometimes) I do remember seeing her whisper something to the boy. She also carried a classic looking guitar on her back, I remember her playing it at one point (everyone seemed to like it so I guess she was good lol). 

The last kid was also a girl she had long red hair I'd say about middle back for her height, she was the oldest by looks so I made her the oldest out of this group lol. She seemed to have issues focusing but I remember in the dream she put up a tent (for like camping) without touching it (yeah I know marvels Jean Grey as a kid; well I felt that too so I changed a few things). I later decided I would play on the fact in my dream she got distracted, I gave her ADHD also flushed her character out a bit by making her have gotten into trouble because of her powers and her ADHD. Long story short here she lost control of her powers and ended up seriously hurting someone close to her (later made it her brother).

So this part on was not really in the dream so I flushed out some details. I used the school setting but I made it a school for those that have gotten into trouble because of their powers, or those that need help controlling their powers. The boy and the emo chick ended up coming to this school because they like to play pranks (and miss use their powers), and like I said the red head actually hurt someone, by accident but still. I got a few other characters like the head master who I based after my favorite Avatar the last air bender character Katara, water bending and everything (can 'blood bend' but doesn't). Other than how these kids came to this special school and the fact that (like my hero academia) powers are common place but also regulated that's about how far I got, I was thinking of making like a boarding school.

I really like this it was overall an actual peaceful dream but I don't want to make it like X-men or something like that (won't be too hard if I only focus on the school and these friends).

----------------------------------

My next concept dream came to me because I like spy type game and movies. Now this dream followed an adult guy who was (later flushed out) deemed the best retrieval expert in the world, with a kill count of zero, later plays into his character development and what not. So in this dream I followed this spy on a mission where he was trying to take down a (well to say evil dictator is kind of redundant) dictator and because he doesn't kill he was trying to tranq or knock him out. Now here is the twist, the target was in sight and he was just about to take the short and retrieve the body when a little girl, black hair in a ponytail, more or less an innocent (later made her about 8 or so) kid came walking up in a secured armed to the tee place, so the first thought was she must of been the dictators kid or something. Well without warning as the dictator bent down to talk with the kid she slit his throat, at this point the spy was mad he tranq'ed the little girl (didn't take much to knock her out) and after basically calling the mission a fail took the kid back to his HQ and intended to question her.

That's about where my dream stopped, what's next I added, so I felt bad that I actually dreamt up a psycho kid so almost without thinking I wrote in the kid was a sleeper agent (literately programmed to accomplish missions while she slept). Turns out (country unknown and still not sure I want to write one in cause it seems mean all around lol) blank country is taking orphans and making them sleeper agents because no one thinks twice to not help a lost kid (will yeah  more or less ) and that's how the kids get what they want (mostly assassinations). So back to the girl when they question her she has no memory of what happen or how she got there, that's basically how they learn she's a sleeper agent (I mean when your best spy comes back from one of his only failed missions somethings up). I later make it like the odd couple basically the spy 'adopts' the kid and most learn what he can from her alter ego, and some events (not flushed out here) he learns enough to go after the country that's making these sleeper agents even teams up with this girl (the assassin part) and gets to a point where he has to make a choice weather to break his code or something (haven't gotten that far tbh). 

---------------------------------------

Both of these are just the tip, I'll add the others once I remember how I came by them and I remember where my old notes are (those two are always on my mind with a few others).
If life is too short for what ifs, than way do they always strike at the worse times.

Most people are worried about burning bridges, but forget about the consistent fire that burns on the roads we walk

In the end we only regret the chances we didnt take. -Lewis Carroll

Feel free to call me Sophia Lee if you want

The journey may not be new but its a new journey.

16 Apr 2018 - Start of a new chapter
8 Jun 2018- VA is working with me to move forward
11 Jul 2018 - consultation with Psych doctor
14 Jul 2018 - Dad confronted me...
7 Aug 2018 - Started HRT
25 Oct 2018 - Started Speech Therapy
24 Apr 2019 - Official name is Sophia Lee Bell

•  

DustKitten

The first idea does sound a lot like the X-Men, but don't let that stop you. There's always a new way to make eggs; an old idea can be made into something fresh and original if you approach it the right way. Presentation matters. Take the entire mystery genre as an example. Most mysteries are just another rehash of the same old tired Sherlock Holmes stories, but because every mystery is told in a different way, with unique characters, crimes, and approaches to detective work, the genre manages to stay interesting. My Hero Academia is, in some ways, a rip-off of X-Men, but it presents the superpower-school theme in such a unique and fascinating way that it feels like something completely new.

The second idea sounds a lot more original. I love the idea of an assassin-type character who absolutely refuses to kill his targets. The brainwashed child killer bit is less unique, but still uncommon. Like I said, it all depends on how you decide to tell your story, not on the content of the story itself. Good writing will get you a lot farther than good ideas (though both are important).

The advice I've heard the most (which I agree with) is to focus on the characters. Every character has their own unique strengths, flaws, and personality quirks. A good character can give life to an otherwise lousy story, and a lousy character can spoil a good story. Stories are built on their character's motivations, the things that keep them moving through life. Characters need goals to focus on, and sometimes their goals and motivations may conflict with themselves. The conflict created by those motivations--both internal and external--is what drives the plot.

You've probably heard this all before (most writers have), but it's always worth repeating. Best of luck.
  •