Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Master Cake SCOTUS ruling analysis.

Started by Cassandra B, June 05, 2018, 09:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassandra B

Of all the things you can be, being yourself is the most important.
  •  

ErinWDK

I see the ACLU calling this a victory, of sorts.  Back in March I attended a workshop put on by the ACLU looking at all these issues.  They did not expect the SCOTUS to issue a definitive ruling -- and that is sure the way things worked out.  I get updates from Equality PA about LGBTQ civil rights issues and they feel this was not as bad as it could have been BUT there is really a lot of work that needs to be done to actually secure our rights.

At least the Court did not set aside the underlying Colorado law.

Yesterday was still a lousy day for me.
  •  

SailorMars1994

So glad I live in Canada where bakers bake and don't take a pet time gig as a preacher
AMAB Born: March 1994
Gender became on radar: 2007
Admitted to self : 2010
Came out: May 12 2014
Estrogen: October 16 2015
<3
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Cassandra B

Quote from: ErinWDK on June 05, 2018, 10:04:22 AM
I see the ACLU calling this a victory, of sorts.  Back in March I attended a workshop put on by the ACLU looking at all these issues.  They did not expect the SCOTUS to issue a definitive ruling -- and that is sure the way things worked out.  I get updates from Equality PA about LGBTQ civil rights issues and they feel this was not as bad as it could have been BUT there is really a lot of work that needs to be done to actually secure our rights.

At least the Court did not set aside the underlying Colorado law.

Yesterday was still a lousy day for me.

No, it is a far cry from definitive, I actually get the impression that had the State of Colorado applied the law fairly and equally to every case before them the ruling would have been very different in a positive way.

The problem I see already, the far right see this as a victory and a license to discriminate as long as they claim religious beliefs despite every statement to the contrary; not that biggotry ever needs a real excuse.
Of all the things you can be, being yourself is the most important.
  •  

Kate Thomas

The right was given an inch, they took a mile.
"But who is that on the other side of you?"
T.S. Eliot
  •