Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Conflicting Beliefs

Started by DustKitten, June 09, 2018, 07:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DustKitten

Does anyone else hold multiple beliefs, simultaneously, that conflict with each other? I tend to separate what I believe into two distinct categories: what I feel, and what I know. Science, my own personal moral code, etc. are all things that I know, but what I feel can change from one day to the next. It's rarely rational, like believing in magic (like pendulum divination, palm readings, spells) or in ghosts, pantheism, reincarnation and such  (I sometimes feel, for instance, that I may have been born female in previous lives) but it's still things that I absolutely believe in on a certain level, even when I can't logically explain it.

I like to think that my view of the universe is fairly open-minded. There are beliefs that I completely reject for myself (monotheism in general, for instance) but there are also things I consider possible, for instance the existence of spirits, or creatures greater than ourselves that we could consider gods. I don't have any reason to believe that, but those feelings are still there, and I think that, since the nature of reality itself remains elusive to us, there's no reason for me to try to suppress those beliefs, even without any evidence to back them up.

I wish I could just pick something to believe in, since religion (or a total lack thereof) can be a comforting place to retreat to, but I haven't found anything that really suits me anywhere. I hesitate to even call myself agnostic since, like I said, I do believe in certain irrational things, but those beliefs can change at any time.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the same way. Being the only one gets lonely.
  •  

MaryT

In his novel 1984, George Orwell wrote

"Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them."

He also wrote that the more intelligent someone is, the more they are capable of it.  It was a requirement of membership of the ruling elite, the Inner Party.

For myself, I don't believe in ghosts but sometimes I go ghost hunting and have had some strange experiences.  I don't believe in magic but in my youth, I had to stop reading translations of medieval grimoires because I became frightened.

When I am purely logical and scientific, I can't believe in God.  However, I also consider myself a Christian and pray every day.  Praying is all I can do in the hope of protecting myself and the ideas I believe in, in this marvellous but terrifying universe.

•  

Amaki

there is nothing wrong with that. Yes maybe in the old days people like us would be branded Heretics but maybe that is the reason we are alive today. Believing in conflicting things happens all the time, a more what if belief I do believe in a higher power, but I believe (with my uncles help I found the words for it) humans are taught the square peg goes in the square hole... well maybe be it also fits in the round hole, to put a label on it is human. I do understand the separation too, science beliefs are those that 100% can be explained, but remember in the old Greek days something as simple as a storm was believed to be the act of gods (a lot of people still think that way even after we can 100% explain it).

Quote from: MaryT on June 09, 2018, 08:48:01 AM
In his novel 1984, George Orwell wrote

"Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them."

He also wrote that the more intelligent someone is, the more they are capable of it.  It was a requirement of membership of the ruling elite, the Inner Party.

orwell was more or less a man beyond his time. its how we grow as a world to believe something until we can prove 100% and sometimes even if we do we still get it wrong, thats called learning lol

I also understand the idea of believing what you feel also and for most people the core will always be the same but the minor changes... like fate or destiny, which do you believe in for me most days its destiny but the idea of fate does float around a lot too.

To say 100% that nothing is pre determined would be wrong but to follow your life by this might also be wrong lol confusing I know but its how I feel most days well it was, now Im not so sure...
If life is too short for what ifs, than way do they always strike at the worse times.

Most people are worried about burning bridges, but forget about the consistent fire that burns on the roads we walk

In the end we only regret the chances we didnt take. -Lewis Carroll

Feel free to call me Sophia Lee if you want

The journey may not be new but its a new journey.

16 Apr 2018 - Start of a new chapter
8 Jun 2018- VA is working with me to move forward
11 Jul 2018 - consultation with Psych doctor
14 Jul 2018 - Dad confronted me...
7 Aug 2018 - Started HRT
25 Oct 2018 - Started Speech Therapy
24 Apr 2019 - Official name is Sophia Lee Bell

•  

Lady Sarah

I happen to believe in God, ghosts and magic.  I do not believe anything I can do is going to matter beyond my lifetime. I have had a few prayers answered. Most seem to be ignored. I have seen ghosts, and had shadow creatures run away from me. Magic is weak, and easily defeated without magic. I do not believe any man or woman can preach the true message of God, because nobody can know exactly what the heck it might be. So, I do not believe in Church.
I have been called every sort of insulting name, ranging from heretic all the way to Satan, by those taught to hate everything and everybody.  I believe they will never see heaven. Others have called me an angel. I think they are too kind.
I believe absolutes are subject to change, when it comes to anything on Earth, with one exception. We will all die. That is the only true absolute for Earth. It is a dynamic world.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

Sephirah

Pretty much all "knowledge" starts off as a belief. Until it's proven true or false within the bounds of the technology available to us at the time. What we know now is different from what we knew a couple of thousand years ago, and will probably be different to what we know a couple of thousand years from now.

There are a lot of things I believe in that haven't yet been proven to be scientific fact. I don't believe in religion so much, but I do believe in reincarnation. My beliefs are kind of odd, to be honest. But hey. Until someone tells me that they have undeniable proof that they know what the meaning of life is, and that they can explain the entirety of the universe with 100% certainty... there will always be that room for error. That... "what if" factor.

I'm not sure that's ever going to happen, purely because of the limitations of us as a species.
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

Kylo

Yes.

The key is being able to accept that multiple 'realities' for want of a better word can exist for the purposes of the individual, without conflict at all, provided you are able to keep them in their appropriate place and scope. Quantum and classical physics clash but can be used separately or in conjunction with another, both are basically objectively true, provided you are aware that the appropriate use of either is a matter of size and scope, Quantum for the micro world, Classical for the macro.

People have a problem because they try to unify everything from an absolutist approach. This isn't necessary if you have a good mental filing-system and ability to pull out the right drawer for the right job. You can both keep a space for god or spirituality in your personal life and yet live by largely non-spiritual habit and outlook. Or vice versa. I think it's quite common in people, they just aren't always aware they are doing it.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •