Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Letter with a price tag

Started by WFane, July 01, 2018, 11:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WFane

So my therapist told me they charge $150 for the letter to give to my GRS surgeon. This is after jumping through their year long hoop to get to the point where my therapist would consider giving the letter.
Is this normal, or am I getting played? I feel like I've been very patient with wpath, but I'm on year 5 now and I feel like the things I want are being dangled just out of reach. It's so frustrating.
~Alyssa
  •  

Kendra

I've used two therapists (one with a Masters degree, one a PhD) and neither have charged for any letters.  The only valid justification I can imagine is if the letter required time to research and write - round that up to an hour.  Professional time is valuable, but I wouldn't be happy to pay an hour for a few minutes of time.   

How detailed and personalized is the letter?  Is $150 their hourly fee? 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

WFane

I'm not sure how detailed the letter is. I'm assuming it's just a letter saying "hey dr _______, she's female, and you can perform bottom surgery on her. A year of therapy, 5 years living female and 4 years on hrt proves this. Signed ________"
But I could be wrong.
~Alyssa
  •  

Devlyn

My two letters were $155 each (the hourly rate). That's the price of the letters, because I was clear upfront I wasn't seeking counseling, just a surgery letter.

Hugs, Devlyn

•  

Donna

I've had about 14 sessions and the letter to my transition doctor is almost done. It will be $250 and then that will get me my referrals to the two doctors I need for their opinions so I can then get on the health care list for surgery. I have no idea what the two opinions will cost but they were $150 each several years ago
December 2015 noticed strange feelings moving in
December 2016 started to understand what my body has been telling me all my life, started wearing a bra for comfort full time
Spiro and dutastricide 2017
Mid year 2017 Started dressing and going out shopping etc by myself
October T 14.8 / 456
Came out to my wife in December 2017
January 2018 dressing androgenes and still have face hair
Feb 2018 Dressing full time in female clothing out at work and to friends and family, clean shaven and make up
Living full time March 1 2018
March T 7.4 / 236
April 19th eligard injection, no more Testosterone
June 19th a brand new freshly trained HRT and transgender care doctor for me. Only a one day waiting list to become her patient 😍

[/
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: WFane on July 01, 2018, 12:39:21 PM
I'm not sure how detailed the letter is. I'm assuming it's just a letter saying "hey dr _______, she's female, and you can perform bottom surgery on her. A year of therapy, 5 years living female and 4 years on hrt proves this. Signed ________"
But I could be wrong.

Here's what my therapist  letter looks like.

Dear Dr Oates:

I am writing this letter on behalf of Devlyn Tracey (dob: xx.xx.xxxx). It is my
understanding that Ms. Tracey consulted with you regarding an orchiectomy as a
means of furthering her gender affirmation process.

As a seasoned behavioral health clinician working as part of the Transgender Health
Clinical Team at Fenway Health, I have had the opportunity to assess and review the
psychosocial well-being of numerous clients at various stages of the transition
process. I have alsalso received training in transgender care at the Fenway Institute. It
is in this professional capacity that I have come to know Devlyn Tracey.

Ms. Tracey was evaluated in consultation with the Fenway Health Transgender
Health Program Clinical Team and found to fully meet the criteria for Gender
Dysphoria (ICD-10 F64.9). This condition means that Ms. Tracey identifies as a
woman and is most comfortable living in society as female. In fact, Ms. Tracey has
presented as female full-time for more than three years. Ms. Tracey experiences
significant emotional distress due to her gender dysphoria and her physical body
not aligning with her gender identity.

Ms. Tracey is a patient in primary care at Fenway Health and receives hormone
treatment under the guidance of Danielle O'Banion, MD. Ms. Tracey has taken
cross sex hormones since February 2017 to assist in her gender affirmation with
good effect. Ms. Tracey has seriously considered the implications of an orchiectomy
and does not exhibit any impairment in her ability to make this decision at this time.
Ms. Tracey will likely experience significant emotional relief via this procedure.
Subsequently, Ms. Tracey will also benefit from the reduction in level of hormone
treatment she requires after the procedure  is complete.

At this time Ms. Tracey appears to be a good candidate for orchiectomy provided
you find her medically able to undergo the procedure. She will continue to be
followed in her care through Fenway Health and will have additional support
services available as she chooses to access them. Please contact me at
xxx.xxx.xxxx if you have any questions and thank you for your care of this patient.

Sincerely,

Meghan McGrath, LICSW

•  

WFane

Thanks for the replies, everyone!
Devlyn, I really appreciate you showing us your letter!

Alright, so it looks like the letters do cost money. I have 3 that I'm going to need to pay $150 each for... which sucks, but if I want my body the way I want it then I suppose these are the hoops I have to jump through. It's still frustrating though  >:(
~Alyssa
  •  

Donna

I did the review of the draft cop of my letter a week ago. It like 1.5 pages and the second page is for signatures. Says I'm good to proceed with HRT and future surgery. Lists my meds and the name of my new transition doctor whose care I will be under.
It was really underwhelming. I was expecting a huge story and write up. Lol
Anyways it should be done for my next session on Tuesday
December 2015 noticed strange feelings moving in
December 2016 started to understand what my body has been telling me all my life, started wearing a bra for comfort full time
Spiro and dutastricide 2017
Mid year 2017 Started dressing and going out shopping etc by myself
October T 14.8 / 456
Came out to my wife in December 2017
January 2018 dressing androgenes and still have face hair
Feb 2018 Dressing full time in female clothing out at work and to friends and family, clean shaven and make up
Living full time March 1 2018
March T 7.4 / 236
April 19th eligard injection, no more Testosterone
June 19th a brand new freshly trained HRT and transgender care doctor for me. Only a one day waiting list to become her patient 😍

[/
  •  

Harley Quinn

Yikes. I got my letters no charge. They considered it my prize for playing the game.  ::)
At what point did my life go Looney Tunes? How did it happen? Who's to blame?... Batman, that's who. Batman! It's always been Batman! Ruining my life, spoiling my fun! >:-)
  •