Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Learning make-up, etc for passing

Started by DeniseGrace, July 03, 2018, 04:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeniseGrace

Just curious. How do you girls acquire your knowledge? I'll watch youtube videos, make-up sites, mannerism, walk, talk, etc videos. Do the same? Or, do you have ladies that can assist you?

I'm a show me person, and sometimes show me again  ;D

I found someone in the area that does complete make-overs and instruction for all I mentioned, but it is $150 an hour.

But again, I really have no one here to show me the ropes.

Thanks
DeniseGrace
  •  

Devlyn

My friend Tina asked me if I had make-up, which I didn't. She said "We both have the same pasty skin, I'll pick up the right shades for you and show you how to apply make-up so you don't look like Bozo the Clown."   ;D

Here's the best advice I've seen on the site about this.

Quote from: Cindy on October 05, 2011, 03:24:15 AM
This might sound like a mission from Hell, but it isn't

I have done this, Tekla has done this, Justmeinoz has done this and no doubt many other woman at Sus's.

Go to the make up counter in a large store, I'm a Revlon girl 'cos I like Revlon colours. others like MAC, it doesn't matter. AND ASK THEM. What is the best foundation for my skin? how do I do my eyes? How do I apply lippie? Expect a two second shock. Then the professional steps in and realises you are a walking wallet. Theyb will advise and do a make over. They need the money. And honey get use to it. It is not embarrassing. You probably walk past a make up counter in every store and someone is being 'made up' who looks at them?   I have had my eyebrows tinted and styled in the middle of a mall with people walking past within meters. No one stopped and had a look. No one cared.

I had my make over in a major store. I calmed down after a few minute and yes I chatted to the girl doing my make over and she asked personal questions, but once she knew I'm TG and hadn't had the opportunity to practice with make up she was over me like a rash. I had women coming to me from the perfume counter, they need sales too.
No one, No one, made a nasty remark. I was called Cindy at all times, I was in male dress. No one in the passing public stopped to stare. If they had I think they would have been moved on.  Think; If  a young or even elderly woman is having a make over and a passer by stopped and stared and commented, how would staff react? With the young girl call the police, with the elderly , call security.

There are no laws to prevent you wearing make up, at least in Australia, USA and Europe. The last time I looked there are no laws to prevent you wearing clothes in the same countries. There my be local laws about toilets, but it seems to be a USA obsession.

You have the right to be yourself. The day a person laughs at you is the day you have won.

I will belabour a point. As it is relevant. I go to a reasonably expensive beauty salon. I have no problems with the staff they have no problems with me. Lauren, the owner, has been very friendly as have all the staff. It is a damn busy place. Two weeks booking needed. She stated the first time I went and I told her I was TG, she said if you have any TG friends they are very welcome to come here for anything from laser. wax, make ups for special occasions or make up lessons. It's all in the booklet.

She has been totally true to her word. Her staff have been great. I realise that there is this leap of faith. It may be different in the USA. I'm a Aussie chick.

Don't be frightened. Be positive. Because one day,  you will stand in front of a mirror and ask, Does my bum look big in this? And understand the question, and he won't :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hugs

Cindy

•  

SammyHatesGreenEggs

YouTube can be helpful, but I also agree with Devlyn's advice.

A few months ago, I had a full makeup lesson at a store in the mall right near the entrance.  No one really noticed or cared, and it was a great learning experience.
  •  

DawnOday

If you go to a Mac counter it should not cost any more than a tube of mascara or lipstick. If  you buy a few products everyone is happy.

Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

DeniseGrace

Thanks so much girls. Great advice  ;D
  •  

warlockmaker

Makeup makes a cis girl look glamourous. For many tgs makeup allows them to pass easier, glamour come later. I attended a couple of 1 and 2 day courses. Even the use of air brush for special effects used at movies.

Its practice makes perfect and we develop a style that matches our personality. I used to dread doing the eyes and lashes but after a year of trying different looks and products, I have mastered the day and night look.Eyes are the mist important for that amazing look.

Its also very important to use quality moisturizer and foundation base before foundation and powders. Also be sure to remove makeup before sleeping. Keeping the pores clean lers you have the natural look without acne problems.
When we first start our journey the perception and moral values all dramatically change in wonderment. As we evolve further it all becomes normal again but the journey has changed us forever.

SRS January 21st,  2558 (Buddhist calander), 2015
  •  

Claire

Saphora is now offering classes for the trans community.
https://www.sephora.comstore-locations-events/store-locations-events-tab=classes
Scroll down to the bottom for details. I haven't tried it but I have searched for classes. Granted I am in a major metropolitan area, but there were some.
https://www.elle.com/beauty/makeup-skin-care/a20873537/sephora-launches-makeup-classes-transgender-community/

Claire-
Claire.
  •  

barbie

Nowadays I am indulged in making up every morning like teen girls. I am anyway a novice in make up. I do not need so much make up. I do 3 things every monring.

1. Clean my face with cleansing toner, applying moisturize and then sun cream.
2. Attach false eyelashes, sometimes with slight eye shadow.
3. Sometimes apply lipstick.

These 3 steps are enough for me to look feminine, at least to my eyes.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Charlie Nicki

My advice is: Ask your girlfriends, watch Youtube videos and then practice. Chances are that in a very short amount of time you will master the basics and will do your makeup oyur own way. At least that's what happened to me. I'm no expert, but most women aren't either, as long as you can apply the basics for an everyday look, you're good to go. And then if you ever have a special occasion you can just hire an expert that day to make you look extra flawless.
Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •  

Harley Quinn

I leaned from girl friends, then some from drag queens, and took a few lessons from makeup counter aestheticians. I am always learning something new. There are a few aestheticians that specialize in mtf makeup. I know of one in Seattle. YouTube videos are a bridge too far for me. I get lost in the video, and being colorblind... I have a difficult time seeing what they're doing. I paint my face by numbers. "X" amount of product on certain spots on my face, then blend etc...
At what point did my life go Looney Tunes? How did it happen? Who's to blame?... Batman, that's who. Batman! It's always been Batman! Ruining my life, spoiling my fun! >:-)
  •  

Donica

Devlyn is right with Cindy's post.

My daughter took me to her favorite beauty salon last Saturday. It was like Cindy said. The first 2 second hesitation and then the professional stepped in and did my brows for free. She then showed me the best foundation, eyeshadow, eyeliner, lipstick etc.... the hole works. There must of been 4 or 5 professionals checking on us the hole time we were there. No one else paid much attention to us and the ones that did just gave me a warm smile.

It was a lovely experience. Well, a lovely expensive experience but the expense was just for the makeup. The rest of the help they gave was free.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Jennifer300

A book on numerous looks for those who wanted to learn makeup.  Each face is different, and each persons personality has a different look they want to achieve.  Youtube is great to get you started, there are so many styles to try.  I have read some have a large makeup name do their makeover and as long as you buy a few products they do it for free.  Usually your foundation is matched to your skin tone, so I would ask them to find a good one and buy it to start.  I see Amazon carries some practice heads to practice on if you want to practice also.
  •