Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

How did you choose your name?

Started by CuriousCat94x, July 03, 2018, 09:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CuriousCat94x

How were you all able to choose such a beautiful name?  :) I mean, there are literary a lot of names out there to choose from. There's a few names that I am considering, I'm also considering the name that my own mother had reserved for yours truly, until I was born physically in the wrong body.  :( Also, how difficult is the process of legally changing your name?
1994 - Born
~1998 - Realized something is wrong
~1998-2011 - Fought and repressed feelings, just trying to be "normal"
~2011 - Discovered the name for my feelings
~2011-2018 - Fought and repressed my feelings even more
July 2018 - Born again, after fighting depression, anxiety and meeting death itself
September 14 2018 - First HRT injection! :)

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." - The Creed
  •  

Devlyn

I didn't have to choose, my friend named me: Devlyn Marie

This should help with your second question.  :)

https://www.susans.org/wiki/Category:Documentation_changes

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Sonja

When I was a teen I met a girl called Sonya, she was pretty and very talented at different stuff. I really liked her but her parents wouldn't let her have a boyfriend so it never went anywhere.  Years later I would think about how similar I would look to her if I was a girl, and I had always thought she had the coolest name I had heard for a girl.
I like the movie 'Red Sonja' because its about a fierce female warrior, I also liked Sonja in the underwold/lycan movies (Victors daughter). Although the name can be spelt Sonia, Sonya, or Sonja - I chose the latter to include the J that is the first letter in my original name. The name Sonja means wisdom so that's a bonus also.

Good luck choosing yours,

Sonja.

•  

CuriousCat94x

@Devlyn So lucky lol I guess I'm in the same boat in a way, my mom did have a name for the real me after all. Thank you for the link and thank you for your service to our nation.  :)

@Sonja Thank you Sonja, I really like your name and the story behind it. I was only aware of Sonja from Underworld because it's one of my favorite movie series that I haven't seen lol I have seen parts from all of them and really enjoy them, but because of my busy schedule I mostly only get to watch movies while going to bed. As you might imagine I fall asleep halfway through anything I "watch" if I ever get that far into a movie lmao

Maybe once I get to upload my picture everyone here can help me choose a name that suits me, I'll also be sure to post the names that I have in mind  ;)
1994 - Born
July 2018 - Born again, after fighting depression, anxiety and meeting death itself

•  

Megan.

I was fairly practical about it. I chose a name that:

- Shared the same initial letter as my birth name.

- Had two syllables (my surname has a single syllable and I wanted an iambic flow).

- No-one else I knew already had.

- Looked at popular girls names for the year of my birth so that my name would be typical for my age.

That only left a few options, and I just chose one I liked. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

CuriousCat94x

@Megan Wow, that's a smart way of choosing and certainly narrows down the endless list of names to choose from.  :) I also feel that I do not want to take anyone else's name and if I can avoid doing so I will, unless of course I really, really, fall in love with it :icon_giggle: I will definitely take your useful tips into consideration, thank you Megan.  :)
1994 - Born

•  

Dena

I wasn't that uncomfortable with my male name but it was clearly masculine and there wasn't a real feminine equivalent. One day I was walking through the parking lot at work and I saw my name on a customized license plate. It's fairly close to my birth name, uses all the same letters but it's clearly feminine. I hung on to the name for a while and when I finally had my first group therapy session, I was asked what name I wanted to use. I tried it on the group, they liked it so I kept it
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

DustKitten

I have a fairly masculine personality (for a girl, not for a guy) and I'm out with my friends, but not in public or at work, and I wanted something gender-neutral that I could use both before and after going full-time, so I looked up gender-neutral names, made a list of the ones I liked, and ended up choosing Robin. My middle name's going to be Rebecca, because it's my favorite girl name and I used to go by Becky to the few people that knew my secret 2+ years ago. Still haven't settled on a last name yet, but I don't want to keep the one I have due to family issues.
  •  

Inbredipus

I actually chose my name before I actually figured out I was trans. See, in middle school I had this friend who was an artist, and they decided to draw our entire friend group with an opposite-gender version of ourselves. Originally, mine was named "Sam" but I didn't think that was close enough to my deadname ("Sarah"), so I decided to look up a more masculine version of my name (with the same original language and meaning). Turns out, it's Sariel. It means "prince of god" or "god's command", depending on the translation. It's also the name of an archangel, which is pretty cool. Thus, the so-called "genderbent" version of me was christened Sariel.
Around the end of that year, I figured out I was a man. I started using Sariel as my name a year or so later.
3 years later, I am legally Sariel, and have been so for nearly a year. I remember telling one of my friends that it turns out the "genderbent" version of me was "Sarah" all along!
  •  

KathyLauren

When I was daydreaming about whether or not I might be trans, the totally silly idea popped into my head that I'd have to learn a new signature.  That got me thinking about names that were similar to my male name.  My male name, Keith, had no female equivalent, so I opted for Kathy.  My middle name, Lawrence, had a couple of female possibilities, and I opted for Lauren.

When I signed up here on Susan's, that was the name I used.  As I got used to using it and having people call me by it, I liked it more and more.  So when the time came to "lock in my final answer", that's what I used.  It kept my initials the same, kept my signature similar, and allowed people who started to misname me to switch gears in mid-stream and correct themselves witout it being too obvious.  I also like that Kathleen preserves the Celtic heritage of Keith.  (Keith is Scottish.  Kathleen is the Irish equivalent of Catherine.)  Kathy was a common name in my birth year, and Lauren, while less common, is plausible as a middle name, since the actress Lauren Bacall was popular around that time.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

CuriousCat94x

@Denna I have the same problem, I'm comfortable enough with my current name, but eventually I will need to change it because it is a masculine name. My name also does not have a feminine equivalent so choosing now will definitely help me soon enough whenever I become physically female. I am also hoping for the same result on here, I typically have a hard time making up my mind lol  :)

@DustKitten First off, I love your username I really like cats and almost everything to do with them. I was also thinking about choosing a gender neutral name because I feel that in a way I have to acknowledge somehow that I was wrongly born a male and then figured out later in life that I'm actually a female, if that makes any sense. I also feel that I'm also kind of masculine, but only because of the way I that I was raised (as a male) and once I begin HRT I will begin to transition into my true self, personality and everything. I'm not sure about my last name, I might keep it the same; hopefully someday I'll get married and take on a new last name.  :)
1994 - Born

•  

CuriousCat94x

@Inbredupus That's an awesome story behind your name angels ,I think, look awesome and they are incredibly powerful beings as well. I'm not an artist, but I've always been curious about how I would look if I was a female and I was finally able to get a tiny glimpse of what I might look like. I used an app on my mobile device that allows you to take a picture of yourself and apply makeup and hair lol I realize it's not that accurate, but I now have a semi-decent idea of how I will look soon enough, in fact I will use one of those pictures as my avatar once I am able to.  ;)

@KathyLauren

Quote from: KathyLauren on July 04, 2018, 06:08:17 PM
... the totally silly idea popped into my head that I'd have to learn a new signature.  That got me thinking about names that were similar to my male name.  My male name, Keith, had no female equivalent, so I opted for Kathy.  My middle name, Lawrence, had a couple of female possibilities, and I opted for Lauren...  As I got used to using it and having people call me by it, I liked it more and more.  So when the time came to "lock in my final answer", that's what I used.  It kept my initials the same, kept my signature similar...

Thank you for that eye-opening comment Kathy, I never thought about tiny details like coming up with a new signature, looks like I have a lot more work cut out ahead than I at first suspected. However I am sure about this and I'm very optimistic about my decision and my future. I guess it truly is a rebirth as they say, I can't wait to experience all of the joy it's small details, that also means that I will have to brace myself for the worst as well.
1994 - Born

•  

V M

There was this girl I fancied at the church my family attended, right about the time some lady was asking me my name I saw her walk by so I took to running down the hall calling her name

This naturally caused a bit of confusion for awhile, so some people called me by my first name, others by middle name and then some folks would call me by her name

I thought it hilarious, but my mother was not quite so amused LOL
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

CuriousCat94x

@V M   Wow that is soo funny lol My mother would not find it funny at all if that were to happen to me. I mean when I was like 4 or 5 years old I would tell her that I'm a girl and she would just outright deny it and tell me to shut up, that I am a male. I have just always, ever since I have memory, felt that I should be a female, but because of both of my parents and the rest of my family I have forced myself to live as a male. There hasn't been a single day in my life that I haven't thought about, fantasized, about being a female. That desire to be my true self grows stronger by the day and  now that I'm 24 and finally about to finish college (with a lot debt of course) I can't wait to move out of town and get the best job out there with my degree. I also want to begin HRT as soon as possible to maximize my physical change from male to female and I am very optimistic about the results that I will see.

Sorry I didn't mean to ramble lol I just get so frustrated that I did not begin sooner, that I have been a coward and  did not have the courage to confront my family in my earlier years. That I still have a giant phobia regarding coming out of the closet to my family, I already know how they will react... this is very difficult so it must be the correct path.  :)
1994 - Born

•  

lunaJ

Ryan being my middle name from birth, it feels like the perfect surname for me. I didn't want to carry on the family last name bc I don't speak to them anymore, so here's to starting a whole new legacy!

The name Jezebel just came to me though. My first name at birth started with a Z and also had 7 letters and 3 syllable, so it just spiritually feels like a variation of my original name.

I'm the kind of girl that everyyyyythingggg has to mean something lol so Jezebel Ryan it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Donica

My name is close to my old male name. I just changed the spelling a little bit and It just fit. I wanted to keep the same initials so that made it even easer. I was on the fence for a while with my middle name (Haley or Helen). I ended up with Donica Haley. I think that rolls off the tongue mush better.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

pretty pauline

I just added 3 letters on to my old name Paul,  ''ine'' and became Pauline, a feminine version, my parents christen me Paul, but if I was born cis-female they would have christen me Pauline, so you could say, I transition from Paul to Pauline.
If your going thru hell, just keep going.
  •  

NC_Sarah

I have been thinking a lot about this recently, I always liked Rose, because I have an insane love of perfume and fragrance and I am English (An English Rose), but it doesn't feel me. New person, so new name and I am leaning to Tess. From "Tess of the d'urbervilles". I know I picked something that suited me when I find myself practicing my signature :-)
"Long after one has forgotten what a woman wore, the memory of her perfume lingers."
  •  

Melanie Jean

I used a combination of factors:

• Found the popular names for my birth year and sorted alphabetically): https://www.behindthename.com
  • Used my sister's first name (Melissa) as a guide for symmetry (first choice was Melinda)
  • My male middle name was my dad's first, so I used my mom's middle for mine which used the same initial - yay!
  • Keep my current initials just for ease of some who already called me MJ, which I liked anyway
  • The name needed a iambic flow and not appear named by a silly parent (I've heard some real doozies)
Names are a very personal thing, but no one should have to worry about getting it right first time. Find one that appeals to you (for whatever reason), try it out at home, then try it on friends or family if you can. If necessary, use the opinions of others as a guide, and eventually you'll find a stellar name that will fit perfectly. :o)
Love to all.

~Melanie

•  

CuriousCat94x

@lunaJ

Quote from: lunaJ on July 07, 2018, 09:08:51 AM
Ryan being my middle name from birth, it feels like the perfect surname for me. I didn't want to carry on the family last name bc I don't speak to them anymore, so here's to starting a whole new legacy!

The name Jezebel just came to me though. My first name at birth started with a Z and also had 7 letters and 3 syllable, so it just spiritually feels like a variation of my original name.

I'm the kind of girl that everyyyyythingggg has to mean something lol so Jezebel Ryan it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think that my first name would be a good last name unfortunately lol  :icon_giggle: I have a similar belief that everything is connected somehow, I've been called a nutjob for it haha. I really like your new name but I don't think it will suit me so your name is safe lol. ;)

I'm sorry about your family, I believe I will be on the same boat as you in regards to not speaking with family anymore. I think they'll hate me or just not want me to affiliate with them anymore after I "come out" to them. I'm just going to take it step by step, hopefully they will understand and not hate me for being born in the wrong "gender".
1994 - Born

•