News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Cakey Foundation around beard area?

Started by Flair, July 06, 2018, 03:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flair

Hi all!

This may be in the wrong forum, so if so, I apologize.  Wasn't completely sure where to post it.

But I have a make up question.  I've been doing pretty good lately, and I think I've mostly gotten the hang of make up, but I have a weird issue around my beard area.  I've seen alot of suggestions around for hiding the beard shadow, but I'm able to do that okay for the most part.  But I have issue with is that the make up in that area seems to get 'cakey' not long after doing make up.  I don't have the problem elsewhere on my face really - just here.  I've heard it might have something to do with the extra uneven-ness the facial hair can create.  Has anyone else run into this problem?  or have any ideas?

I'm in the process of hair removal, but only just barely, so I'd like to find something to make it look a little smoother on the upper lip and chin.  Any help is appreciated!

~Flair
  •  

jill610

Yes that is an issue for a lot of ladies, to cover the blue we apply more, which then gets cakey looking. Have you tried using a sponge? It helps a lot if you use it correctly.

Also color corrector helps, there are some primer/correctors that are good. And expensive!

I find going to Sephora or Ulta a huge help with questions like this, and most are used to dealing with trans folks.

•  

Dusty

I had that problem the first little while. But then I bought an orange color corrector from MAC. It's been a godsend! A little goes A LONG way. I swipe it on each side above my lip and use my fingers to just blend it out. Then foundation over it and it hides all day.

I think it was like $17 at MAC and my foundation is Esteé Lauder DoubleWear. They have saved my life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Johnni Gyrl

Thanks for both those replies there sisters, that answers my same problem too ;-)
  •  

Gertrude

I saw a YouTube review of Dermacol. Has anyone used it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Dusty

Quote from: Gertrude on July 10, 2018, 09:01:23 PM
I saw a YouTube review of Dermacol. Has anyone used it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just checked it out as I'd never heard of it. I still feel like, for me, i need a color corrector especially around the mustache area no matter how full coverage. But if your shadow is light enough I think it would cover. It looks like a crazy full coverage formula.

•  

Gertrude

Quote from: Dusty on July 11, 2018, 08:57:51 PM
I just checked it out as I'd never heard of it. I still feel like, for me, i need a color corrector especially around the mustache area no matter how full coverage. But if your shadow is light enough I think it would cover. It looks like a crazy full coverage formula.

This is where I saw it:

•  

Dusty

I'll have to try it out. Maybe when it's time to replace these products. I just got a ten day tester of a newer Estée Lauder Double Wear formulation. It's supposed to be less matte and a little more dewy. I'll let you know how it works when I try it.

•  

thelittlemermaid

Quote from: Dusty on July 10, 2018, 09:34:01 AM
I had that problem the first little while. But then I bought an orange color corrector from MAC. It's been a godsend! A little goes A LONG way. I swipe it on each side above my lip and use my fingers to just blend it out. Then foundation over it and it hides all day.

I think it was like $17 at MAC and my foundation is Esteé Lauder DoubleWear. They have saved my life!

How much do you use of the color corrector? Pretty sure I have the same MAC one but I find for me that if I blend it out too much, the tiny tiny stubble still shows, but if I have it opaque then my foundation has an orange tint to it!
  •  

DawnOday

I get an extremely close shave using an eyebrow trimmer. It's called Dermaplaning Not only does it give a great shave, it removes the top layer of dead skin making the face really soft. It also allows face serums to penetrate .  Using a primer goes a long way in making the makeup go on easy. Any orange color can work. Even a cheap orange lipstick like Wet & Wild purty persimmon.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Dusty

Quote from: thelittlemermaid on August 19, 2018, 01:41:41 PM
How much do you use of the color corrector? Pretty sure I have the same MAC one but I find for me that if I blend it out too much, the tiny tiny stubble still shows, but if I have it opaque then my foundation has an orange tint to it!

I just swipe a bit on my upper lip and chin and sideburns area. I then just use my fingers and lightly blend it out. My foundation is pretty full coverage but, I have noticed it was slightly orange if I don't blend it enough. And like you, too much and the shadow shows through. It's a fine line that's for sure.
  •  

MsMarlo

Hi, Flair.  Fortunately, thanks to a combination of Vaniqa and Silk'n-Flash-n-Go the beard shadow is a thing of the past for me.  However, until you get to that point, something else you might want to consider might be using a tattoo concealer by Kat Von D with a setting powder.  Keep in mind that everyone is different and it may or may not work for you, but it did for me.  The best thing about this product is that it is light and you layer it (you have to follow the directions directly from her) and it covers shadows (and tattoos) perfectly without caking or the otherwise obvious appearance of masking around the beard area.  If you try this, just be sure to follow the directions as a little does go a long way (as with most other concealers).  I hope this helps and if you have any questions, PM me.

MsM

Here is a link to the video

•  

LizK

Hi Flair

In the early days of my transition I found a couple of things helped with the look you describe. Hopefully this may help, first thing I would suggest is to start with a beauty routine and by that I simply meant cleanse and moisturise...use sunblock...This helps the appeareance of your skin plus it will also Secondly and as importantly is use the correct tool for the job as Jill610 said a blender or sponge will do a far better job at appling your foundation. Don't forget to dampen the blender or sponge before you use it to apply the foundation...before you even put your foundation anywhere near your face you need to prep the skin for the makeup using toner and primer. Your makeup will go on smoother ,stay on longer and look better.

A good colour corrector pallette (orange, Mint and Purple) is really helpful to give you good even colour tone once the foundation is applied....it looks a bit strange before you use your foundation but works amazingly once applied! the one I use is by Designer Brands/DB Brand...this will also help to get a more even and smooth look. Once blended with your foundation because if done correctly you don't have to use a heavy foundation to cover.

I am no expert but these are things I use when I want my makeup to just look  abit better and stay on a bit longer...I hope it helps a little.

Take care

Liz   
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

SeptagonScars

It usually doesn't look cakey for me. First I wash and scrub my face and shave super close, then use a very moisturising cream that stunts hair growth a bit (Blitzblank) on my beard area, and a regular moisturiser on the rest of my face. Then I use some creamblend stick for beard shadow coverage (Mehron) that I got from some webshop. I dot it on my sideburn area, jawline, chin and under chin then blend it with fingers. Then add my foundation which is Mac's studio fix fluid which is buildable from medium to full coverage, and I add two layers of it on my beard area and one thin layer on the rest of my face, applying it with a sponge. Then I use a little bit of transparent powder to set it all and really press it in.

That usually prevents it from looking cakey for me, but sometimes if I add too much powder, too much of the beard coverage stick, too much of the foundation, not enough moisturiser, or if the area is still stubbly, then it gets cakey. Also noteworthy is that my skin neither particularly dry nor oily, but I do have some issues with acne.

I'm rather skilled with makeup in general, cause of having practiced and experimented with it for many years, but I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to beard coverage specifically. I've read some advice about it, watched a few tutorials on youtube, and then just experimented on my face. I've tried using lipstick before but for me that's very itchy and my hair getting stuck in the stickiness drives me half-crazy. Eye shadows worked the best both looks wise (cause much thinner layer) and feels wise (not itchy) but took way too long time to apply and was very difficult to get even. So that stick thing I use now feels a bit like a compromise between the eye shadow and the lipstick, but still not ideal.
Mar. 2009 - came out as ftm
Nov. 2009 - changed my name to John
Mar. 2010 - diagnosed with GID
Aug. 2010 - started T, then stopped after 1 year
Aug. 2013 - started T again, kept taking it since
Mar. 2014 - top surgery
Dec. 2014 - legal gender marker changed to male
Jul. 2018 - came out as cis woman and began detransition
Sep. 2018 - stopped taking T and changed my name to Laura
Oct. 2018 - got new ID-card

Medical Detransition plans: breast reconstruction surgery, change legal gender back to female.
  •  

Sky1090

I haven't had too much of a caked look for beard coverage. I have some a really good brush set that helps everything. I ditched the sponge or finger methods a long time ago. The brushes give me a much better coverage and don't streak too much. I did a lot of experimenting with foundations and concealers to find the right combination. On top of that, finding the right razor to take care of pesky stragglers is a big thing too.
  •