Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What are you having for dinner? 3.0

Started by V M, July 19, 2018, 06:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on February 03, 2019, 09:45:56 PM
My girlfriend made chicken chili and I tried my first batch of sourdough bread

The chili was great, the bread was good but not quite as sour as I prefer.  The starter is still young and should improve over time.
@Colleen_definitely
Dear Colleen:
Your picture of your bread looks good, and  yes with more maturing of the starter it will get better. 

However, the bread, still warm out of the oven, with lots of butter and perhaps some jelly will make it taste mighty fine.

Whenever I bake fresh bread, if I don't have enough willpower, I just might eat a half a loaf with an entire cube of butter!!!  mmm, mmm, good  ....  then I have to hit the gym!!!!

Thank you for sharing and posting.
Hugs and well wishes,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on February 03, 2019, 09:52:08 PM
Yesterday I had some bacon!

Chrissy

@ChrissyRyan
Dear Chrissy:

YUMMY, it's BACON !!!
Thanks for your post, now I want some Bacon. ...  . soon!!!

Hugs,
Danielle

•  

ChrissyRyan

Today I cooked up some steak, and it turn out tasty. 

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Maid Marion

It warmed up so I had flank steak on the grill and coconut fudge ice cream.
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on February 03, 2019, 09:53:08 PM
@Colleen_definitely
Dear Colleen:
Your picture of your bread looks good, and  yes with more maturing of the starter it will get better. 

However, the bread, still warm out of the oven, with lots of butter and perhaps some jelly will make it taste mighty fine.

Whenever I bake fresh bread, if I don't have enough willpower, I just might eat a half a loaf with an entire cube of butter!!!  mmm, mmm, good  ....  then I have to hit the gym!!!!

Thank you for sharing and posting.
Hugs and well wishes,
Danielle

I can't be left without adult supervision when baking bread for the same reason.  It always seems to disappear, along with butter and jelly.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

GingerVicki

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on February 03, 2019, 10:25:52 PM
I can't be left without adult supervision when baking bread for the same reason.  It always seems to disappear, along with butter and jelly.

sourdough bread! heck yea! I have a loaf myself. the store-bought stuff doesn't look nearly as good as yours.
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Usually my pan loaves are kind of lopsided and/or flat.  I did this one in a Dutch oven after a friend mentioned the technique.  It worked really well.  I've never made a loaf of bread that looked anywhere near this good.  It's super easy as well, you should try it if you like baking.

As for the flavor?  It was tasty but lacked some of the tangy character of the sourdough I'm used to.  It had some zing but not quite what I'd like.  I'm not complaining considering it's my first attempt.
  •  

Dena

Sour dough tastes different depending on the source of the culture. San Francisco is one of the more sour starters and most others are less sour. Sour dough is very regional though if you have a healthy culture and are careful handling it, it won't be contaminated by the local culture. I have no idea what type of culture Arizona can produce but my culture is still very sour.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Colleen_definitely

I tried making starter a long time ago when I lived in Tucson and it ended badly.  Green mold kind of badly so I really have no idea what the culture around there yields.

I also did a relatively short fermentation where I only punched the dough down once and cheated with a dash of yeast.  (I couldn't spend all day working on bread)  Next time I'll let it go longer without the additional yeast to see if I can get more lactic acid production.  Still, considering how "wrong" I went about it, it came out pretty nice.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

A Ribeye sounds good.
Pan fried, medium rare, seared.

Maybe some French Onion soup with lots of Swiss cheese.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Colleen_definitely

•  

V M

Shrimps and broccoli in a butter herb sauce with mushrooms and onions on angel hair pasta with parmesan toast

The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

davina61

Made a beef Korma Sunday with roti (breads) , chicken Thai curry tonight with rice.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Jenny1969

Tonight looks like Hot Wings and pizza
Jenny :)

20 November 2018 Got off the fence. 3 December 2018 Initial consult and GD diagnoasis. 28 December 2018 started HRT. 14 Feb 2019 Started Spiro

•  

Dena

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on February 04, 2019, 12:06:28 PM
I tried making starter a long time ago when I lived in Tucson and it ended badly.  Green mold kind of badly so I really have no idea what the culture around there yields.

I also did a relatively short fermentation where I only punched the dough down once and cheated with a dash of yeast.  (I couldn't spend all day working on bread)  Next time I'll let it go longer without the additional yeast to see if I can get more lactic acid production.  Still, considering how "wrong" I went about it, it came out pretty nice.
Normally sourdough is pretty sluggish and I was wondering how you got the bread to rises so nicely. Regular yeast would take the bite out of the bread and would explain your results. In addition it takes almost 2 weeks to really get a starter established which also added to my confusion. As for starters, I purchased mine form Bob's Red Mill. I haven't ordered from them but Sourdoughs International would be a good place to get different starters. They also have a book called Classic Sourdoughs that will teach you a good deal about the care and feeding of sourdough.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

ChrissyRyan

@V M

Was it you who said to reheat pizza on the stovetop in a pan?

Chrissy
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on February 04, 2019, 08:52:25 PM
@V M

Was it you who said to reheat pizza on the stovetop in a pan?

Chrissy

@ChrissyRyan

If I recall correctly it was me...  but perhaps V M suggested that also.

Reheating Pizza in a pan on the stove-top keeps the bottom crust from getting soggy like it would be when you heat a Pizza in a Microwave.

Hugs,
Danielle

•  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on February 04, 2019, 08:56:29 PM

@ChrissyRyan

If I recall correctly it was me.

Reheating Pizza in a pan on the stove-top keeps the bottom crust from getting soggy like it would be when you heat a Pizza in a Microwave.

Hugs,
Danielle

Yes, there were two who mentioned this reheating method as I recall.

Also:  See the pizza topping thread for a message from Dena about reheating pizza.

Chrissy

•  

MollyPants

Sausage casserole and rice and peas. Mm 

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

•  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: Dena on February 04, 2019, 05:02:53 PM
Normally sourdough is pretty sluggish and I was wondering how you got the bread to rises so nicely. Regular yeast would take the bite out of the bread and would explain your results. In addition it takes almost 2 weeks to really get a starter established which also added to my confusion. As for starters, I purchased mine form Bob's Red Mill. I haven't ordered from them but Sourdoughs International would be a good place to get different starters. They also have a book called Classic Sourdoughs that will teach you a good deal about the care and feeding of sourdough.

I found letting it rise in a big bowl or basket lined with parchment paper really helps.  Using the paper to lift the loaf and transfer it into a preheated dutch oven makes all the difference in the world.  I always had trouble with deflating my dough before trying that method.  Using a dutch oven really makes baking a presentable loaf easier.
  •