Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Fear, Fear, and More Fear

Started by Traci091176, March 23, 2018, 01:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traci091176

Down to 12 days till my endo appointment and hrt and even though I'm not remotely scared of hrt, in fact can't wait, I'm scared to death. My therapist and my partner (she is the greatest support I could ever ask for) both want me to come out to my 22yr old son before my appointment. I can't bring myself to do it yet. I'm scared I'm going to lose him and hurt him. I'm not sure if it's mainly the coming out to him or if it just a normal thing but I'm going nuts just constantly thinking how much I want this, and how happy I could be looking in the mirror and comfortable with my body (my partner is conviced I'll be happy for once too) and the fears of having to walk away from my whole life. I know people in my area won't be accepting. My job, which is a very good paying one is out once I can't hide the changes. My home if move I already set up years ago to go to my son. And the list goes on along with the fear of my tall rear ever passing enough to make me happy and  be socially accepted. Guess I'm looking for suggestions on how some of you came out to the most important person in your life and wondering how many of you girls have been in the same boat so to speak, and how many of your fears were real in the end, and how many is just the mind trying to protect itself from stepping off the porch into the unknown world ahead.
  •  

Paige

Quote from: Traci091176 on March 23, 2018, 01:57:17 AM
Down to 12 days till my endo appointment and hrt and even though I'm not remotely scared of hrt, in fact can't wait, I'm scared to death. My therapist and my partner (she is the greatest support I could ever ask for) both want me to come out to my 22yr old son before my appointment. I can't bring myself to do it yet. I'm scared I'm going to lose him and hurt him. I'm not sure if it's mainly the coming out to him or if it just a normal thing but I'm going nuts just constantly thinking how much I want this, and how happy I could be looking in the mirror and comfortable with my body (my partner is conviced I'll be happy for once too) and the fears of having to walk away from my whole life. I know people in my area won't be accepting. My job, which is a very good paying one is out once I can't hide the changes. My home if move I already set up years ago to go to my son. And the list goes on along with the fear of my tall rear ever passing enough to make me happy and  be socially accepted. Guess I'm looking for suggestions on how some of you came out to the most important person in your life and wondering how many of you girls have been in the same boat so to speak, and how many of your fears were real in the end, and how many is just the mind trying to protect itself from stepping off the porch into the unknown world ahead.

Hi Traci,

It's a big step.  I've been contemplating telling my adult children and it's definitely not an easy thing to do.  I worry how this will disrupt their lives.  Some here have said that younger people seem much more accepting so maybe it will all go well.  Fingers crossed.

As for telling your son before you start HRT, I'm not really sure why that's a priority for your therapist.  HRT doesn't happen overnight.   You can go months without having any noticeable signs.  Going on HRT can be stressful by itself, why not wait a bit and get comfortable with HRT and then tell your son.

Good luck,
Paige :)
  •  

softbutchharley

When I "came out" so to speak, I did not have a lot of choice in the matter. Of course we all have choices, and everything is about choice, so I guess I made the choice to jump in with all 4 feet !! Coming out to all in my life was done in about a week. My attitude was "..I have lived all my life for y'all, now I am living life for me..." Deal with it. Selfish and self centered ? Prolly yes. But I was at a point where I was just soooooooooooo tired of the lie. One evening I was riding my harley and crossing a bridge. I was thinking.."..should I run off this bridge or turn head on into a truck?.." . Yea.... I decided I needed to take a serious look at my life and attitude before..... yea So my answer to you in short version is this "...All things will pass. Feeling good ? This too shall pass. feeling scared ? This too shall pass. .." Life continues on regardless of what we feel. And I believe that if you (or anyone) centers themselves spiritually and emotionally, maintains support and stays the course....all will be. Just that. All will be. No promises that I can't keep to you on this one. Just stay the course and you will emerge whole :)
hth
Those who deny freedom to others....Do not deserve it for themselves.  Abraham Lincoln
  •  

PurpleWolf

Quote from: Paige on March 23, 2018, 09:08:18 AM
As for telling your son before you start HRT, I'm not really sure why that's a priority for your therapist.  HRT doesn't happen overnight.   You can go months without having any noticeable signs.  Going on HRT can be stressful by itself, why not wait a bit and get comfortable with HRT and then tell your son.
Not first hand experience on this; but I agree with Paige here! Maybe you should wait until you yourself feel comfortable doing that...!!! There's no need for others to push you if that's WAAAY beyond your comfort zone!!! My best approach to life is taking it step by step  :)! You are about to cross a BIG step by starting HRT finally...! I'm sure after you conquer that step, others will follow!!!

Having said that, usually most things we worry about are not that scary in reality. I myself usually spend a longer time worrying about something in advance - and in reality the thing isn't scary at all!!! So I spent all that time worrying in vain. As for his reaction, you can't really influence that. It's not gonna get that easier regardless if you wait or not. And not knowing his reaction is what scares you the most. Think about what could be the worst outcome? Probably him not understanding it or having some type of bad reaction to it. And best outcome? He's okay with it! I think it's worth taking the chance  ;)!
!!!REBIRTH=legal name change on Feb 16th 2018!!!
This is where life begins for me. It's a miracle I finally got it done.

My body is the home of my soul; not the other way around.

I'm more than anything an individual; I'm too complex to be put in any box.

- A social butterfly not living in social isolation anymore  ;D -
(Highly approachable but difficult to grasp)

The past is overrated - why stick with it when you are able to recreate yourself every day
  •  

Traci091176

My therapist is making it a priority because she knows it's my biggest obstacle as far as coming out and I've considered not going through with transition for his sake.  She also thinks him not being one of the first to know, could cause resentment. Hoping I'm like you PurpleWolf and worrying bout stuff that isn't scary in the end. Guessing once I start HRT and make that step, will see if things start falling into place.

My attitude was "..I have lived all my life for y'all, now I am living life for me..." Deal with it. 

That's something my partner keeps telling my additude should be, and maybe I should. One thing I gotta ask, is how you fell your accepted when out on your harley? That's one thing I don't wanna have to give up.
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Traci091176 on March 23, 2018, 01:57:17 AMGuess I'm looking for suggestions on how some of you came out to the most important person in your life and wondering how many of you girls have been in the same boat so to speak, and how many of your fears were real in the end, and how many is just the mind trying to protect itself from stepping off the porch into the unknown world ahead.
Coming out, especially in the beginning, is probably the most scary thing you have ever done.  Most of us have been in that position.  You will get through it, but there is only one way: forward.

My wife was the first person I told, and I was almost paralyzed with fear.  It took me six months to get up the nerve.  Fear of what?  That she would leave me, of course.  She didn't.  I rehearsed the words I was going to use over and over, until I had them memorized.  And I practiced the answers to her inevitable questions.  So by the time I finally told her, I was able to go on autopilot, and I got the words out.  After that, it got easier.

I was afraid of how my neighbours would react.  I live in a very rural area: the total population of the village and surrounding farmland is maybe 300 people.  They are mostly farmers, fishermen, and hillbillies.  There was lots of potential for it to go badly. 

I decided to tell them at the weekly community coffee gathering.  Again, I planned it carefully, memorizing what I wanted to say.  They were suitably surprised, asked a couple of questions, then went on talking about other stuff.  Nothing bad happened.  The "grapevine" quickly filled in whoever was not at coffee.

I was a lot more confident telling my neighbours than when I told my wife.  It was nine months later, and I had come out successfully (and happily)  to quite a few friends and relatives in that time.  And I was three months on HRT by that time, so I knew for sure that this was the right thing for me.

You ask how many of my fears were real.  As it turned out: none of them!!  Nothing bad has happened to me, and a lot of good has happened.  I mentioned on another thread how my dentist (a feminist in an all-female practice) hugged me when I told her I was transitioning.  Random people I meet, like store clerks and bank tellers, are polite and helpful.  I came out by email to a couple of large groups I am a member of.  I received a huge number of supportive emails in both cases.  I gave a public talk on a technical subject to one group, as my new self, about three months after I went full-time.  I was a bit worried, as I had no idea who might be there, but it was all good.  I had several people come up to me and tell me how useful the talk was for them.

The mind plays tricks trying to protect you.  It tells you that you are about to step out of an airplane at 10,000 feet without a parachute.  And it turns out to be a step of six inches, onto a sunny meadow.

I am not saying that bad stuff can't happen: it can, obviously.  But for most of us, the real world is not as bad as our fears.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

PurpleWolf

Quote from: KathyLauren on March 24, 2018, 11:49:24 AM
The mind plays tricks trying to protect you.  It tells you that you are about to step out of an airplane at 10,000 feet without a parachute.  And it turns out to be a step of six inches, onto a sunny meadow.

I am not saying that bad stuff can't happen: it can, obviously.  But for most of us, the real world is not as bad as our fears.
I really like your post, especially this!!!
!!!REBIRTH=legal name change on Feb 16th 2018!!!
This is where life begins for me. It's a miracle I finally got it done.

My body is the home of my soul; not the other way around.

I'm more than anything an individual; I'm too complex to be put in any box.

- A social butterfly not living in social isolation anymore  ;D -
(Highly approachable but difficult to grasp)

The past is overrated - why stick with it when you are able to recreate yourself every day
  •  

Cassi

Your fear regarding your 22 year old child mirrors what I was worried about.  I had made the decision, obtained the HRT, and began it.  Question was how long before I told my daughter who was also 22 at the time.

Her rejection was probably my greatest fear.  First off, I'm not her biological father but her father since she was 5 and even after her mom passed away in 2009, she wanted to stay with me.

After she graduated from high school and was 18, I decided to move out of California.  My son and grand kids were in Texas and she didn't want to go because of her friends.  Anyway, last year my son who had since divorced his wife and rarely seen the kids moved to Minnesota which kind of zapped why I was even in Texas.

My daughter wanted me to move to Vegas and we'd split the finances of having a place together.

I've only mention this because all this has an effect on my fear.

So, I planned to tell her when the changes became more noticeable.  However, one day while lounging around the house she comes home unexpected and it scared the crap out of me.  She says I already saw you so you don't need to hide.  Then she asks if I'm becoming a Caitlyn Jenner and I said someone better.

Anyway, she took it in stride and things are cool.  Still getting use to her friends coming over and knowing.

Hope this helps.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

LauraE

I'd love for an update Traci.

I share some of the same fears, and it can be paralyzing. Fear of rejection partially drove my stopping HRT two years ago, and while I'm back on HRT now, those fears haven't gone away.

I don't have the same confidence that others have had, although I'm certainly happy for those of you who have successfully come out to family and friends and felt their acceptance. I'm in a different place though. I have one son, whom I've not seen for six years. He got pissed at me six years ago, for a promise he didn't keep, and while I've done my best to reach out to him over the years, I know he is lost to me. My father is also lost to me. He's 93 and still kicking, but when I left my first wife 19 years ago, he called and told me he didn't want to talk to me again. He's certainly kept his promise.

So, I have a fair amount of fear about losing more of my family and friends. At the moment, I'm planning to stay stealth; dressing in private, but stealth in public.

Laura
When you're ready, start living your truth.
That's when the magic happens.

Laura Full-Time: November 27, 2020

My FFS Journey   | One New Life to Life (my blog)  |  Should I Stay or Should I Go |   My Breast Augmentation

•