Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Amateur Radio Operator

Started by Danielle Kristina, July 27, 2018, 02:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steph2.0

Tech since the late 70's, grandfathered into Tech Plus, but haven't been active since the early 80's. Don't even have a working rig any more.

Changing the name was a breeze on FCC's website.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

RobynS

Some years ago i whas helping as volunteer on a lokal radio station in the netherlands for some special lhgbti programs, one of de technicians who helped us have a licence too he's now a good friend of mine his call pd1ahr or ph5c ( don't know exactly ) i've visit him lots of times and also his private radio studio, ive been interested it's a very nice hobbie iv'e seen the study books but my gosh what difficult i think it's not a study for me.
But i have a sdr shortwave radio on my computter ( sdr play ) and a wellbrook active antenna and it's great to listen some times to radio amateurs shortwave broadcaast and aeroplanes.
  •  

Joelene9

Quote from: Dani on September 20, 2018, 10:07:06 PM
This was the Military Auxiliary Radio System (MARS). In the 1960's there were not many communication satellites, no internet, no nothing. Overseas telephone was by under sea cables. The MARS system allowed service members a few minutes of personal talk time with their family. 

There were many other MARS stations in use at the time, but Senator Goldwater's station paid for the domestic long distance telephone call once the link to his stateside station was established. This was before cell phones where any call outside your area code was charged as long distance. Other stations made a collect call to the service members home to complete the communication link.
We had a MARS station aboard my ship in the early 1970's. A couple of my shop mates made calls home on that. The antenna was mounted off of the "Vultures row" section of the island. One night it was arcing at the base as I heard the operator through open doors just CQ'ing away. When I got out I worked for a shop that 2 fellows were operating. One of them was in the Air Force and he operated a MARS station in Laos. He was picking up a lot of interference on 3.579 MHZ. He was picking up all of those color burst crystals being tested in the color TV factories in that part of Asia. I don't have a Ham license, but a commercial one. I repaired transceiver radios and cellphones.

Joelene
  •  

Danielle Kristina

My HF antenna is up and running.  I'm back on the air!!!
April 19, 2018: First post here on Susan's Place
April 27, 2018: First session with my gender therapist
July 30, 2018: Received my HRT letter
September 3,2018: Came our for the first time

Becoming me more every day!!!
  •  

Sarah1979

Very nice!! What modes are you using? Rig?
  •  

RobynS

What call signs do you use?
May be can i reicieve your signals with my swl radio equipment an can i send you an swl report by mail
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: RobynS on September 25, 2018, 09:43:37 AM
May be can i reicieve your signals with my swl radio equipment an can i send you an swl report by mail

BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT POSTING CALL SIGNS!

Call signs point to your full name and address as filed with the FCC, all a matter of public record and easily found with a Google search.  Posting a call sign here can lead to very unpleasant results.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

RobynS

Quote from: Michelle_P on September 25, 2018, 10:43:18 AM
BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT POSTING CALL SIGNS!

Call signs point to your full name and address as filed with the FCC, all a matter of public record and easily found with a Google search.  Posting a call sign here can lead to very unpleasant results.

O i dont know this that you can find calls easely on the net.
I have a swl number can they find this numbers as well easy by internet
  •  

Danielle Kristina

Quote from: Sarah1979 on September 24, 2018, 08:16:48 PM
Very nice!! What modes are you using? Rig?

I'm running a Kenwood 430S through an 80 meter inverted v up about 30 feet.  Eventually I want to get on digital modes such as PSK31, but for now I run SSB.  Mainly I'm on 75 meters mid to late night.

•  

Sarah1979

Very nice, I have a G5RV that I never use, and the aforementioned buddipole, but usually I use a ATAS120 mounted on my truck fed from a FT857.  On 40 meters and below, the loading coil is too big to get any decent power out of it, but it works ok on 20m and higher.  I have used it pretty well on JT65 and PSK31 though.

•  

Sarahthenerd

I'm glad to hear the name change is easy on the fcc website. I think I'm due to renew in a few years anyway.

Sent from my P00A using Tapatalk

•  

Danielle Kristina

Quote from: RobynS on September 25, 2018, 09:43:37 AM

I won't post my call sign, but I will say that I'm a Texas station and can be heard regularly at the lower portion of the General Class segment of 75 meters.

•  

Sarah1979

Quote from: Danielle Kristina on October 04, 2018, 10:56:40 PM
I won't post my call sign, but I will say that I'm a Texas station and can be heard regularly at the lower portion of the General Class segment of 75 meters.

I've got my Buddipole with me, but I have to get some other parts to make it usable on 80 meters, currently it's stuck only being effective at 20m and up :(
  •  

Danielle Kristina

Quote from: Sarah1979 on October 05, 2018, 04:44:48 AM
I've got my Buddipole with me, but I have to get some other parts to make it usable on 80 meters, currently it's stuck only being effective at 20m and up :(

I'm on 20 fairly often, but mostly on 75.  Hopefully soon I'll have a 40 meter antenna up so I won't have to use my 75 meter antenna on 7 MHz.  I don't go above 20 much since the propagation is so lousy for those upper bands, which is a shame because I miss 10 meters.

•