Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

1st Endo Appt tomorrow - did you have to wait long for your meds?

Started by gracefulhat, July 31, 2018, 07:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gracefulhat

I am a little nervous about my first endo appt tomorrow because I am pretty sure that my doc will have me draw blood after the appt and then wait to review them until the next appt (maybe 1 month later). I am pretty sure about this because I have a girlfriend who goes to Dr. Folsom as well. So I don't want to wait that long because my dysphoria is through the d*mn roof. I know this is a marathon and even when I start hormones it takes a good long while, years for sh*t to significantly change, but  over another month to wait sounds like an eternity. Does anyone have suggestions for what I can say or do to maybe speed this up?  I also want to order my meds as a 90 day mail order through CVS since it will be so much cheaper. Does anyone have experience with that, how long it takes for them to mail it to you? OMG I am nervous.
Above all, love
  •  

KathyLauren

Congratulations on getting the process started!

I agree, the waiting is hard.  Things take as long as they take, sometimes longer. 

For sure, the endo will want to get a blood sample off to the lab, get the results back, and determine the best meds and dosages for you.  That will require at least another appointment to review the results and get your prescription.  So even on a fast track, it will be a couple of weeks.

And then, you are right, it takes months or even years for results to become apparent.

So while venting about your frustrations here is always appropriate, and you will find sympathetic ears, it is good to practise killing time while you wait. 

Have you started facial hair removal yet?  If not, now is the time to start.  That is something concrete that will tell you every week that you are making progress. 

Are you presenting part-time or full-time?  If not, those are things you can work towards while you wait. 

You can go on regular clothes-shopping trips to start building your wardrobe.  Learn where the good second-hand shops are.  Almost nothing in my closet is new, and the few new items I have were purchased heavily discounted.  So it doesn't have to be expensive.

What I am getting at is to find little ways of making regular progress while you wait for the big steps.  Because this journey involves a lot of waiting.  My most recent "progress" has been waiting 11 months for an appointment date to see a shrink for my second surgery letter.  I am still waiting, and that's just to get the date.  Once I get it, I'll still have to wait an unknown amount of time for the appointment itself.  If I wasn't full-time already, I would go nuts.  The weekly face-frying reminds me that I am in fact moving forward.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Harley Quinn

Congratulations you're on your way. I got my first injection same day. My endo saw me as healthy and went for a full dose day one and did blood tests. She added Spironolactone and Finasteride after she got my blood work back. Estadiol Valerate was day one.
At what point did my life go Looney Tunes? How did it happen? Who's to blame?... Batman, that's who. Batman! It's always been Batman! Ruining my life, spoiling my fun! >:-)
  •  

Colleen_definitely

I had mine the day after. Waiting a month to review results that don't take that long seems a bit overly cautious to me.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

gracefulhat

Quote from: KathyLauren on July 31, 2018, 07:33:43 AM
Congratulations on getting the process started!

I agree, the waiting is hard.  Things take as long as they take, sometimes longer. 

For sure, the endo will want to get a blood sample off to the lab, get the results back, and determine the best meds and dosages for you.  That will require at least another appointment to review the results and get your prescription.  So even on a fast track, it will be a couple of weeks.

And then, you are right, it takes months or even years for results to become apparent.

So while venting about your frustrations here is always appropriate, and you will find sympathetic ears, it is good to practise killing time while you wait. 

Have you started facial hair removal yet?  If not, now is the time to start.  That is something concrete that will tell you every week that you are making progress. 

Are you presenting part-time or full-time?  If not, those are things you can work towards while you wait. 

You can go on regular clothes-shopping trips to start building your wardrobe.  Learn where the good second-hand shops are.  Almost nothing in my closet is new, and the few new items I have were purchased heavily discounted.  So it doesn't have to be expensive.

What I am getting at is to find little ways of making regular progress while you wait for the big steps.  Because this journey involves a lot of waiting.  My most recent "progress" has been waiting 11 months for an appointment date to see a shrink for my second surgery letter.  I am still waiting, and that's just to get the date.  Once I get it, I'll still have to wait an unknown amount of time for the appointment itself.  If I wasn't full-time already, I would go nuts.  The weekly face-frying reminds me that I am in fact moving forward.

Thanks Kathy! Yes, I will have my 3rd laser treatment in a few weeks. I have a pretty good wardrobe built up now, infact my wife and I are borrowing eachothers makeup, clothes, undergarment. I am currently part time because my social anxiety is really high since I know I will get clocked right now frequently and I have to work with patients, families...

I see your point. It's just really hard though.
Above all, love
  •  

gracefulhat

Quote from: Harley Quinn on July 31, 2018, 08:29:00 AM
Congratulations you're on your way. I got my first injection same day. My endo saw me as healthy and went for a full dose day one and did blood tests. She added Spironolactone and Finasteride after she got my blood work back. Estadiol Valerate was day one.

This gives me hope! Thank you.
Above all, love
  •  

gracefulhat

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on July 31, 2018, 08:35:44 AM
I had mine the day after. Waiting a month to review results that don't take that long seems a bit overly cautious to me.

Amen.
Above all, love
  •  

Dena

You could always have your first prescription filled in the store then mail order the rest. On the other hand, Walmart is far cheaper for what I take than CVS. As you may be taking something different, check Good Rx and see just what the prices are where you live. Comparison shopping at the click of a mouse.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

gracefulhat

Quote from: Dena on July 31, 2018, 04:58:45 PM
You could always have your first prescription filled in the store then mail order the rest. On the other hand, Walmart is far cheaper for what I take than CVS. As you may be taking something different, check Good Rx and see just what the prices are where you live. Comparison shopping at the click of a mouse.

Omg thanks for the advice
Above all, love
  •  

LilDevilOfPrada

I was only blockers for a few months before full HRT due to my age and concerns of my how do you say "they a teen what do they know". However it was a good thing because we discovred like 80% of the products out there have zero effect on me.
Awww no my little kitten gif site is gone :( sad.

2 Febuary 2011/13 June 2011 hrt began
  •