Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Any Other 50 Years old and Older FTMs out there?

Started by Ryuichi13, August 02, 2018, 02:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you a FTM that's...

50 to 59
60 to 69
70 to 79
80+
Under the age of 50

Ryuichi13

Hmmm....donating blood to get rid of excess RBCs?  I've heard of doing to before for other medical problems, but never for this.  I'll ask my PCP and see if that would help my blood pressure.

But, if I remember correctly, the reason I stopped donating blood was that my blood pressure would spike due to anxiety about getting stuck with a needle.  I was last told "Donating blood is unsafe for you," but it wouldn't hurt to find out if that could help me.

Its better than taking pills!

Ryuichi

•  

Arch

A cautionary tale, just in case.

When I was involved in the local trans community, I knew a few guys who donated blood to lower their hematocrit. The clinic I was going to at the time considered me to be on the borderline and recommended blood donations. I had such a bad experience with the local blood bank, which already had a record on me from before transition, that I never went back. I was deeply upset at being classified as female and having two blood bank employees discuss my gender status in a crowded room of donors. (Actually, they were discussing how my blood should be labeled--same difference.) I triggered massively.

I have heard, vaguely, through the grapevine, that the blood bank no longer practices the same gendering rules, which were apparently American Red Cross guidelines, because the ARC itself no longer has such policies. But I cannot donate blood for fear of being triggered again. I would rather take my chances. I could probably donate through the Red Cross instead of my local blood bank--the ARC should not have any records on me--but the trigger potential would be the same.

If you are interested in donating and have no prior donation history, you should be fine to give blood; the trans men I knew had no history with the blood bank and had no trouble being classified as male right off the bat. And donating helped them, health-wise. If you have a pre-transition history with the donation center and have a high trigger potential, you might want to call about the current policy before you commit to anything.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Arch

The last time I looked into transgender donations, I couldn't find any documentation. Here's a chunk that I found at the American Red Cross site:

The FDA revised guidance states, "In the context of the donor history questionnaire, FDA recommends that male or female gender be taken to be self-identified and self-reported." This change allows blood donors to register with the gender in which they identify. The Red Cross will no longer ask donors to answer both male and female questions when attempting to donate. There is no deferral associated with being transgender, and eligibility will be based upon the criteria associated with the gender the donor has reported. See additional blood donation eligibility criteria.

Red Cross staff members are required to verbally confirm demographic information, including gender, with all presenting donors. This step helps ensure donor safety and accuracy of records. If Red Cross records have the incorrect gender, presenting donors may ask staff members to make the change upon registration. Individuals do not need to tell staff that they are transgender.  Individuals with specific questions about eligibility can contact the Red Cross Donor and Client Support Center at 1-866-236-3276. 
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Jak

Re hypertension - welcome to the club. After years of this and that and nothing really having enough impact on my diastolic, I've now been on Diltiazem (am) and Losartan Potassium (pm) for several years. As for RBC, so far so good - which is a good thing because donation isn't an option. I'm excluded on several measures (e.g., malaria, tattoo date, etc.) Sigh...

Good luck finding the right mix!
Top surgery: 14 December 2015
T-pellets: 23 December 2016
Androgel: 30 January 2018
  •  

Ryuichi13

Thanks Jak.  I was suposed to go see my doctor tomorrow, but she's going to be away, so I rescheduled for next Friday.  Its a simple BP check, and to tell me what my blood chems look like, so I'm not too worried.  Since going back on my second med, the headaches and vision problems are more or less gone. 

Its thenew guidelienes that now have me somewhat worried.  I might have to have my HCTZ raised a bit.  Hopefully that'll be enough.

Ryuichi

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

•  

smithers 70

I'm closing in on 49 lol so I'm not in the 5 decades club yet haha. I knew when I was 4 and socially transitioned in elementary school. Sorry I didn't take the prompt to answer the questions; just wanted to check in as one of the older guys.

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using Tapatalk

•  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: smithers 70 on November 17, 2018, 04:16:55 PM
I'm closing in on 49 lol so I'm not in the 5 decades club yet haha. I knew when I was 4 and socially transitioned in elementary school. Sorry I didn't take the prompt to answer the questions; just wanted to check in as one of the older guys.

Its cool, seems like you'll be hitting the "big 50" soon enough!  ;)

I'm getting used to thinking, "I'm 57," since I will be in January.  But, to offset that fact, on December 2nd, I'll be two years on T, and according to a chart I found online, my hormone levels say I'm 14!  ;D

Ryuichi

•  

smithers 70

Quote from: Ryuichi13 on November 18, 2018, 05:19:46 PM
Its cool, seems like you'll be hitting the "big 50" soon enough!  ;)

I'm getting used to thinking, "I'm 57," since I will be in January.  But, to offset that fact, on December 2nd, I'll be two years on T, and according to a chart I found online, my hormone levels say I'm 14!  ;D

Ryuichi
Ahahaha I love it!
And hey, thanks for the warm welcome and nice responses.

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using Tapatalk

•