Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Finally started down the path.

Started by Sabrina Rei, August 06, 2018, 09:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern Star Girl

@elle's bells
Dear Elle:
WOWzers!!!   Your last 3 updates are absolutely terrific, and your pictures are a treat for your followers to view, thank you for sharing with us.
You look so very happy in your photos and I am glad that you updated your avatar/profile picture...  that particualar picture show a beautiful and happy woman!!!  ... Your hair, makeup, dress and necklace all look very, very nice!!!

Your description of your shopping time with you your girl friends and the dressing room experience is priceless.   You certainly enjoyed attending the wedding as one of the girls!!!!

Thank you for updating your followers,
We are you biggest fans and we are rooting for you.

Hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Sabrina Rei

Thank you, Danielle! You're always so kind and I marvel at the sheer volume of sunny prose and smiles you share with each member here! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying my adventures. I never considered that I would have "followers," but I guess I'm surprising myself a lot these days. I hope anyone reading this will catch a bit of courage, maybe see that we don't always have to take ourselves so seriously, and be inspired to find the light in their own lives.

I have a lot more outings to come and my "girl calendar" is starting to fill up. Can't wait to share more!

Sabrina Rei

I don't feel like talking about the last day of my spectacular rock wedding weekend, when I got locked out of my room at 8 in the morning in just my bralette and PJs bottoms and had to take a LONG walk of shame down to the front desk where I was misgendered. That was the same day that the New York Times article about the U.S. government wanting to define gender as strictly male or female came out and I ran into a guy at a rural Pennsylvania rest area wearing a shirt that, I kid you not, said "I AM AN UNEMPLOYED ANGRY, CRAZY (EXPLETIVE REMOVED) TRUMP SUPPORTER" or something very close to that. No, I won't break the spell for you. I tried writing it and it sounded so down.

Instead I'm going to talk about OWNING MY SMILE.

There were times when I was living with Testosterone, my annoying roommate who would always leave the toilet seat up, that I would, sometimes in a low moment, describe myself to people as a person who "portrays their emotions" or more commonly I would say I would "follow my programming." At times, I became unsure whether anything I was feeling was real or if I was just responding how people expected me to. Hear a funny joke, flip through my laugh rolodex to pick an appropriate polite volume level and press play. That way everyone thinks I'm human, and fun to be around, and that I like them, and they will in turn like me.

Sometimes I even thought this way about my wife and daughter. Do I really love them? Or am I just playing this character called Dad? For those that maybe never felt this way, I want you to imagine yourself watching a horror movie. Maybe you don't believe anything that's happening on the screen, maybe it's not tickling your specific fear, but if you sit there stone faced, you won't be able to generate any fun so you ham it up a little. People on YouTube do this all the time now, they're called reaction videos and for the most part they are absolute frauds. But people watch them because well, I guess we all want to feel like that.

Maybe how I felt was universal to humans on some level but the extreme nature of it was definitely impacted by my gender dysphoria. I was a fraud and an actor, therefore, all of my life and the things I choose to have in it was set dressing for the lie. So it is with great pleasure that I announce that since making the decision to live authentically, 90% of this feeling has gone away and I have regained ownership of that smile on my face. It's not scripted, it's not forced (though even when it is, I'm fully in control of it.) I told myself early on that I wasn't going to do anything I didn't want to do to fit in more or align with some outside perception of the woman I should be. My smiles, tears, and anger would be mine and for no one else.

So far so good.

In fact, being stealth at work though depressing at times, isn't even a performance. It's more about just subtracting a few cues from my genuine self. Like walking around on egg shells around your conservative parents so as not to get drawn into a fight. I went to the park with my family and we laughed and smiled and cavorted and acted like idiots, and the idea that I was some robot or actor never once crossed my mind. Maybe I'm free? I guess we'll find out.

Lacy

Quote from: elle's bells on November 05, 2018, 09:23:46 AM
I don't feel like talking about the last day of my spectacular rock wedding weekend, when I got locked out of my room at 8 in the morning in just my bralette and PJs bottoms and had to take a LONG walk of shame down to the front desk where I was misgendered. That was the same day that the New York Times article about the U.S. government wanting to define gender as strictly male or female came out and I ran into a guy at a rural Pennsylvania rest area wearing a shirt that, I kid you not, said "I AM AN UNEMPLOYED ANGRY, CRAZY (EXPLETIVE REMOVED) TRUMP SUPPORTER" or something very close to that. No, I won't break the spell for you. I tried writing it and it sounded so down.

Instead I'm going to talk about OWNING MY SMILE.

There were times when I was living with Testosterone, my annoying roommate who would always leave the toilet seat up, that I would, sometimes in a low moment, describe myself to people as a person who "portrays their emotions" or more commonly I would say I would "follow my programming." At times, I became unsure whether anything I was feeling was real or if I was just responding how people expected me to. Hear a funny joke, flip through my laugh rolodex to pick an appropriate polite volume level and press play. That way everyone thinks I'm human, and fun to be around, and that I like them, and they will in turn like me.

Sometimes I even thought this way about my wife and daughter. Do I really love them? Or am I just playing this character called Dad? For those that maybe never felt this way, I want you to imagine yourself watching a horror movie. Maybe you don't believe anything that's happening on the screen, maybe it's not tickling your specific fear, but if you sit there stone faced, you won't be able to generate any fun so you ham it up a little. People on YouTube do this all the time now, they're called reaction videos and for the most part they are absolute frauds. But people watch them because well, I guess we all want to feel like that.

Maybe how I felt was universal to humans on some level but the extreme nature of it was definitely impacted by my gender dysphoria. I was a fraud and an actor, therefore, all of my life and the things I choose to have in it was set dressing for the lie. So it is with great pleasure that I announce that since making the decision to live authentically, 90% of this feeling has gone away and I have regained ownership of that smile on my face. It's not scripted, it's not forced (though even when it is, I'm fully in control of it.) I told myself early on that I wasn't going to do anything I didn't want to do to fit in more or align with some outside perception of the woman I should be. My smiles, tears, and anger would be mine and for no one else.

So far so good.

In fact, being stealth at work though depressing at times, isn't even a performance. It's more about just subtracting a few cues from my genuine self. Like walking around on egg shells around your conservative parents so as not to get drawn into a fight. I went to the park with my family and we laughed and smiled and cavorted and acted like idiots, and the idea that I was some robot or actor never once crossed my mind. Maybe I'm free? I guess we'll find out.

Elle,
I have very much enjoyed reading your story! There has been so much excitement for you in the past couple months! I think your rock n roll look turned out splendidly! I love your avatar picture. All I see is a very happy woman! Your smile is amazing! I'm glad you are owning it.

This most recent update really resonated with me. Since starting HRT it is amazing how much of an impact that made on me psychologically. I actually worked with a production company for a while, and was an actor and assistant director of a play that went on the road in Colorado. I was always drawn to acting, and felt like it came easily.

I have no doubt that this was because I was acting my entire life about who I really was! The comments you made about doing this around you wife and child is like you taking the thoughts out of my head and writing them down. I have three kids, and I feel like I missed most of the younger years of my oldest two because I felt so much like a fraud. I feel like I missed out on so many joys that I could have had, and know that I could have had a more authentic relationship with them as babies and toddlers. The important thing, is they are still young, and I am now able to share true moments with them.

As you said, maybe everyone feels this way at some point, but as with most feelings, or insecurities dysphoria can definitely amplify them!

Thank you for the update! I look forward to reading more about your journey!
Lacy
She believed she could so she did!

The continuing story of my new life!

•  

Sabrina Rei

Hey Lacy!

It's nice to know others out there felt the same. I'm so happy for you and your family! I know I've said it before but I am a better person for myself and those in my life since committing to my transition. Seems like that might be the case for you too!

Oddly enough, I thought I might've been a pretty good actor if I'd ever put the time and effort in. I was in my friend's horror movie short as the lead and while I couldn't help but cringe watching my performance others tell me I was really good so who knows! Hahaha. I think my leading lady days are behind me though ;)

Thanks for reading!

Lacy

Quote from: elle's bells on November 06, 2018, 07:01:39 AM
Hey Lacy!

It's nice to know others out there felt the same. I'm so happy for you and your family! I know I've said it before but I am a better person for myself and those in my life since committing to my transition. Seems like that might be the case for you too!

Oddly enough, I thought I might've been a pretty good actor if I'd ever put the time and effort in. I was in my friend's horror movie short as the lead and while I couldn't help but cringe watching my performance others tell me I was really good so who knows! Hahaha. I think my leading lady days are behind me though ;)

Thanks for reading!

Being true to yourself definitely can make you a better person! I think it's because the lying and denial are gone so those don't have to be juggled.

There are many celebrities that won't even watch themselves in movies! That is where stage performance is nice! You do your role, and you don't have to watch yourself do it!

Hope you are having another good day!
Lacy

•  

Sabrina Rei

New hair who dis? XD

So I went in and got my hair did on Saturday. My girl, M and I decided to shy away from the streaks of red I've been rocking since the Emmy awards that had faded into a pale sort of pink and instead go with more evenly distributed highlights on one side. I dig it. They add texture and a bit of ebullience. The style I'm going for, which I feel within a fingernail's grasp of, is a straight lob which I had actually tried to grow out about 2 years ago but chickened out at the last minute. Well, the chickening out days are past. I'm almost there.

I kept my appointment at the salon despite the fact that I got hit by seasonal cold/post nasal drip which causes me no end of agony; fever, hacking cough, bloody noses, etc for up to three weeks usually. And that brings me to my topic for today.

"In good times and in bad, in sickness and in health...."

Those words are typical of a catholic wedding ceremony but they apply pretty well to transition too. A lot of times when I used to visualize what my life as a transitioning transwoman would be like, I would imagine only ideal circumstances; times when I can fully kit out and slap on a decent makeup routine creating all the signifiers that I am, in fact, a female of the species and not "a man in drag" as it were. But that's not what life is like, is it?

I'm not always going to be able to wear my perfect mask, or utilize my practiced feminine voice. Sometimes I'm going to feel like a dumpster fire and I'm going to be exposed in a way that won't be ideal. Ciswomen deal with this too. So, I made a decision when I committed to this transition. I'm going to do what I can when it makes sense to, and try my damndest not to stress about those times when I sound like Bill Clinton ate a frog or wake up with patchy beard shadow I don't have the time or energy to cover up through out the day as I re-expose it with every violent spell of dry coughing and nose clearing. Hopefully people around me keep a wide berth because they don't want to catch whatever virulent hell is pulverizing my body and thus are not privy to me at my worst, and if they do interact with me, hopefully it just elicits pity and chicken soup.

There's too much pressure sometimes as a transgender person to be on though the further I go in my transition the less concerned about this I become. We could all stand to go easier on ourselves and forgive us our ugly snot faces.

Here's a photo of me sick in bed. Don't I look fab? XD

SPOILER: I used a makeup filter to hide my ugly snot face. Pure magic! LOL. I know, I know, practice what you preach, but trust me, I'm sparing you all a look into the hell mouth.

Sabrina Rei

Oh! I also did some online clothes shopping and damn, I'm really feeling JCrew at the moment which is antithesis to my ALL BLACK ALL THE TIME (but also splashes of blue/teal because it's my favorite color!) aesthetic but there's always room for growth!

Lacy

Quote from: elle's bells on November 14, 2018, 08:23:22 AM

New hair who dis? XD

So I went in and got my hair did on Saturday. My girl, M and I decided to shy away from the streaks of red I've been rocking since the Emmy awards that had faded into a pale sort of pink and instead go with more evenly distributed highlights on one side. I dig it. They add texture and a bit of ebullience. The style I'm going for, which I feel within a fingernail's grasp of, is a straight lob which I had actually tried to grow out about 2 years ago but chickened out at the last minute. Well, the chickening out days are past. I'm almost there.

I kept my appointment at the salon despite the fact that I got hit by seasonal cold/post nasal drip which causes me no end of agony; fever, hacking cough, bloody noses, etc for up to three weeks usually. And that brings me to my topic for today.

"In good times and in bad, in sickness and in health...."

Those words are typical of a catholic wedding ceremony but they apply pretty well to transition too. A lot of times when I used to visualize what my life as a transitioning transwoman would be like, I would imagine only ideal circumstances; times when I can fully kit out and slap on a decent makeup routine creating all the signifiers that I am, in fact, a female of the species and not "a man in drag" as it were. But that's not what life is like, is it?

I'm not always going to be able to wear my perfect mask, or utilize my practiced feminine voice. Sometimes I'm going to feel like a dumpster fire and I'm going to be exposed in a way that won't be ideal. Ciswomen deal with this too. So, I made a decision when I committed to this transition. I'm going to do what I can when it makes sense to, and try my damndest not to stress about those times when I sound like Bill Clinton ate a frog or wake up with patchy beard shadow I don't have the time or energy to cover up through out the day as I re-expose it with every violent spell of dry coughing and nose clearing. Hopefully people around me keep a wide berth because they don't want to catch whatever virulent hell is pulverizing my body and thus are not privy to me at my worst, and if they do interact with me, hopefully it just elicits pity and chicken soup.

There's too much pressure sometimes as a transgender person to be on though the further I go in my transition the less concerned about this I become. We could all stand to go easier on ourselves and forgive us our ugly snot faces.

Here's a photo of me sick in bed. Don't I look fab? XD

SPOILER: I used a makeup filter to hide my ugly snot face. Pure magic! LOL. I know, I know, practice what you preach, but trust me, I'm sparing you all a look into the hell mouth.

Dang Elle!

Love the new hair! Your stylist did a great job. Keep pursuing the style you want. I think it will look super cute on you! You have a naturally feminine hair line and great volume!

Sorry to hear you are sick. This seems to be the time of year people get hit with it. I hope your body is able to fight it off quickly. I love the way you expressed your commitment. Society puts a huge burden on women to look perfect all the time. Being trans makes the burden even heavier! Way to commit and show off the courageous woman you are. Surely you can threaten someone with a dose off hell's fury in exchange for a chicken soup ransom!!

You look very cozy in bed. Take the time to get some rest young lady! We will need a picture fashion show of your new haul from JCrew!

Healthy thoughts and a big HUG headed your way!
Lacy

•  

Sabrina Rei

Come with me on a little trip back in time...

It was, 1987, I think? I was down with the flu for the week, nestled in a pile of blankets in the living room, eating ice cream out of a bowl and, having run out the early AM cartoons and children's programming, found myself watching morning talk shows like Sally Jessie Raphael. I could get away with this because my mom was shopping with my Nana for the day. At first I was intrigued by the parade of freaks that would cause the audience to squirm and get into big yelling matches with other guests. There were even men wearing dresses, heels and makeup but they looked like football players doing drag and spoke in hyper feminine voices which were more than a little comical to my 10 year old sensibility. Forgive me for being >-bleeped-<ty but I was ten years old and thought the world was there for my amusement.

But then I switched channels and I saw her.

April was her name. She was a fiery red head with a curly bob, and she looked like a beautiful porcelain doll. She was a little older than my sister but carried a confidence beyond her years. She reminded me of my friend Beth the way she sat bolt upright in her chair perfectly perched on her seat as if she wasn't really sitting at all. I watched the opening video reel which introduced her as just another girl; she had girl friends, she liked shopping, horseback riding, and watching TV. Then the host of the show dropped a bombshell on the audience: she used to be a boy named Adam. Instantly, I saw myself in this girl. Her before photo may as well have been me; tall and lanky, awkward, with a half hearted grin stuck on his face as other boys got rowdy in the margins. And then they showed the two side by side; unhappy Adam and divine April. The difference was night and day.

I scrambled for my VHS tape (each of us kids had 2-3 blanks we recorded on over and over) and began recording what I thought was a revelation. I listened to her heartfelt story of realizing she was a girl, of telling her parents, of how everyone told her she was ugly and sick, and how her parents had disowned her and she'd had to go live with a family friend, and they painted this bleak picture of what it was like for her to go to school, go to work, and then a ray of hope. The host surprised everyone and brought out her mom and I lost it. She was there to reconcile. She called April her daughter and the host told us that April would begin taking hormones. My mind was blown. Was that a thing?? Could I...??  I was still watching when my Dad came home from work to check on me.

He immediately criticized my choice of TV as "trash" to which I vehemently disagreed saying that it "was really emotional and interesting" In my utter naiveté I summoned him to my couch and told him about April who was still on the screen. I asked him innocently, "Isn't she beautiful? She used to be a boy."

And I'll never forget what he said next, "She's still a boy and she's sick in the head." I really didn't want to cry in that moment but I was crestfallen and I yelled at him, "No. Her mom called April, her daughter" to which my Dad said, "that was just for TV. No parent in their right mind would encourage this. This is garbage and I don't think you should sit there all day watching this. It's going to warp your brain."

I agreed and wiped away my tears. I was ill after all. I would go to my room and curl up with a Spider-Man comic instead, I told him. He patted me on the head not realizing he had just crushed every hope I had of ever being his beautiful daughter. Once he left to go back to work, I watched the tape I'd made two more times and recorded over it and I stopped watching those "silly talk shows," and when I developed a mystery stomach pain that plagued my high school years and kept me out of class 50% of the year, it was because I was suffering a malady, and not because I dreaded every moment I had to spend being a boy going through a male puberty as the gap between who I was inside and who was outside grew into an insurmountable chasm.

When I would tell my father thirty some odd years later that I was transgender, he acted like it was a total surprise because I was so "typically male."  Sure, Dad. Whatever you say. 

Kendra

Many emotions as I read this.  Memories of moments where the answer was right there but out of reach.  Sixth birthday when my parents gave me a metallic blue 1969 Schwinn Stingray which was wonderful except the color.  I wanted the red one.  My dad said "No, red is a girl color."  I remember those words so clearly.  Years later (I think I was 12) I had a larger bike and I painted the old one.  I just now realized why I had the urge to paint it. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Lacy

Quote from: Kendra on November 20, 2018, 09:04:48 AM
Many emotions as I read this.  Memories of moments where the answer was right there but out of reach.  Sixth birthday when my parents gave me a metallic blue 1969 Schwinn Stingray which was wonderful except the color.  I wanted the red one.  My dad said "No, red is a girl color."  I remember those words so clearly.  Years later (I think I was 12) I had a larger bike and I painted the old one.  I just now realized why I had the urge to paint it.

That is very sad.

Up until 1940 Pink was used for boys and blue was used for girls. The reason was because Red was considered a Strong, Fierce color and pink is a shade of red. After World War II it was decided that the colors should be switched. So your parents probably would have grown up in that new way of thinking that Red/Pink was girly.

I just find it interesting that for so long colors have been restricted to genders. For a long time, my son liked pink more than my daughter, she was into blue! We are fighting the restriction of colors and let our children get whatever they want. Cars for the girl and dolls for the boy? Why not? Women drive and men become fathers.

Oh society...thank you for having to put everything into boxes!
Lacy

•  

Northern Star Girl

@Elle's bells
Dear Elle:
I love reading your updates and following your life endeavors as you travel down your own personal transition road toward your goals.   
Your pictures that you include in some of your posts are a treat for all of us to see... 
...you are absolutely beautiful and look convincingly feminine.  Your hair, eyebrows, makeup and your eye glasses all fit in perfectly to the feminine new you.  Your terrific and inviting smile completes your entire approach to passing.

Your experiences with others, and with clothes shopping, practicing and refining your makeup skills, salon visit, voice practice, going out and about testing your passing ability....   all of those things are not unfamiliar to most of your readers and followers.   

It is a wonderful to be able to follow along with you on a road that I have traveled down and therefore I can rejoice with your when things go well, and when things don't go so well for you I can support you with an ear to listen and a shoulder to lean on.

Thank you sharing with all of us.   Your thread is always one of my stops when I log in to the forums.
Hugs and hugs,
Danielle

•  

Sabrina Rei

Quote from: Kendra on November 20, 2018, 09:04:48 AM

That's heartbreaking, Kendra. And... man there was a time when red was considered a girl's color, wasn't there? Seems so silly now.  I had a blue ten speed and my sister had a red one come to think of it.

I remember doing the opposite. Since I knew wanting to be a girl was abnormal, when my father bought me a baby blue ski jacket, I told him it was too girly and that the other kids would make fun of me and I refused to wear it. It wasn't even that girly, but such was the fear that any cues would tip off the other kids and fuel their bullying that I couldn't risk it.

Sabrina Rei

We went upstate to the finger lakes to stay at a glamorous lodge for the holiday. I'll have more on this trip soon but I just want to say I am grateful for my lovely family (pictured below) whom I call the tripod because we three women together are steady and unshakeable! Happy Thanksgiving to you all! You got this, girls!! It gets better ... AND BETTER!!

That's one of my outfits I was referring to in a prior post. Only the cardi is from JCrew but it's oh so soft :) skirt and shirt are from Uniqlo, one of the only "fast fashion" brands whose quality I will stand behind. I DID iron my skirt btw but forgot to retake the pic. Also I forgot some of my makeup gear so I had to "improvise" lol.  I actually worked with a news anchor who used cigarette ash for eyeshadow in a pinch before going live from the boardwalk!! XD I learned from warriors!!

Also... It's freezing outside!!!

sarahc

Funny note: I just bought the a skirt (same skirt as yours) and shirt from Uniqlo...but I swapped the colors: beige shirt, purple skirt. Too funny!  :D
----
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html)
Hope to go full-time: July / August 2019
FFS / SRS: 2020
  •  

AnneK

QuoteMy dad said "No, red is a girl color."

I have never heard that about red, only pink.  When I was a kid, the difference between a boy's and girl's bike was the crossbar.  Boy's bikes had them and girl's bikes didn't.  I certainly saw red boy's bikes back then and I even had one for my first "3 speed".  Back then, blue was still a common colour for girl's bikes.

I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Sabrina Rei

Baby, it's cold outside... but cmon in the water's fine!!

Never worn this in public before!! No strange looks, only friendliness from other moms so far...
also I'm one of two women brave enough to go bare belly. Probably stretch marks and scars from pregnancy making them self conscious. Still I ain't got abs of steel myself lol

ChrissyRyan

What a beautiful family you have!

Enjoy the fun and share the love, these times together will become good memories.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@Elle's bells
Dear Elle:
Your recent updates with your terrific pictures that
you included are a treat for all of your followers to view.
Obviously it appears that you had a wonderful time,
and in all the photos you look absolutely beautiful.
Thank you for sharing and posting.

Hugs and hugs,
Danielle

•