Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Finally started down the path.

Started by Sabrina Rei, August 06, 2018, 09:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabrina Rei

Quote from: sarahc on November 23, 2018, 07:50:04 AM
Funny note: I just bought the a skirt (same skirt as yours) and shirt from Uniqlo...but I swapped the colors: beige shirt, purple skirt. Too funny!  :D

That combo sounds super cute. I love how versatile their clothes are.

Sabrina Rei

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on November 23, 2018, 10:41:45 AM
What a beautiful family you have!

Enjoy the fun and share the love, these times together will become good memories.

Chrissy

Thank you, Chrissy!! I love 'em to pieces!

Sabrina Rei

Well, this vacation, coming as I enter my 5th month of hrt has shown me that ...I pass at least some of the time. And even when I might not completely pass, i've been afforded the privilege of 90% of people not paying it any mind. No one is more surprised at this than me! I never dreamed I could! Especially in a bikini top!

I'm not trying to brag.

I had made up my mind to weather the strange looks and awkward misgenderings because I assumed at 6'2", 185lbs and size 11 shoes, I would never be accepted. My good friend told me I never would and I didn't even correct her because I thought so too. I spent a year presenting as a woman all across the U.S while shooting a documentary on Rocky Horror and during that time my travel buddy told me I was unfeminine, that I needed to practice my movements like a ballet dancer. I tried but it seemed so far out of reach, literally, I was stiff as a board (but not light as a feather.)

I've had terrible wigs, awful weaves, bad makeup, beard shadow, dressed like a blind toddler's Barbie doll, uncomfortable shoes, awkward ill-fitting clothes, I even had a period where I spoke like Minnie Mouse, but here I am today and through a mix of hard work and genetic luck, I can blend amongst the females of the species.

But with passing comes something new, being treated as a woman by men...

Two recent incidents come to mind. I drove my family out to Ithaca for dinner and while parking near Ithaca Commons, I found myself struggling a bit to bring the car in line with the curb because I was at the end of a row where the curb turns out behind me. I was working my car back and forth for less than a minute when a guy crossed the street, and walked a full block to offer to guide me in just at the moment I shifted into park. Like, I appreciate the kind gesture but I got this, dude. I'm not helpless, lol. I gave him a thankful smile and nod but this was the beginning of something.

Later, I left the water park to run back to our hotel room to pop a lady pill and on my way out of my hotel room door (the water park is down the hall from our room) some dude stopped to chat me up. Granted, I was in a bikini top and had the flannel shirt I was using as a makeshift coverup open --exposing my meager cleavage.

He was like, "Hey, headed to the water park?" And I said, "yup." Pointing at my swimsuit like "duh?" And he laughed, gave me this sweet Dad smile and said "Enjoy the water." At that point I said, "Thanks, I will," in as nice a way as I could manage and we continued on past each other but internally I was like, "yeah? That's the point!! I don't need, like, your permission, stranger!" Afterward I wondered if he had been flirting... I probably looked like fun for an older gal since all the other moms were covering up their pregnancy bellies/scars and were otherwise constantly with their men or surrounded by children. Then the doubt crept in: he probably thought you were a cisgender chick until you spoke and then needed an exit line and the best he could come up with was "enjoy the water!!" Everything else was your imagination!

Or maybe he just wanted someone pretty (shut up you narcissist) to share a nice moment with to make him feel young again before he made his way back to his wife and kids. Either way this is all new to me and will surely be part of my new normal. Boys are... weird. Was I ever like that?

Edit: I wanted to add a bit here and clean up my above entry which was written early in the morning on my phone.

Surrendering my male pride (the same that got me injured trying to carry ALL THE GROCERY BAGS FROM THE CAR IN ONE GO XD) is an unforeseen part of my transition. Over the past three days, I reluctantly accepted a push from the mountain top guide when my family and I went snow tubing and I reluctantly accepted help from a nice porter outside our hotel at checkout, who brought our luggage out to our car and helped load it. It turns out I'm a natural at letting men do things for me  >:-), which seems kind of wicked and old fashioned but I truly have lost a ton of strength in my upper body and I think the assumption on the part of these men that I needed assistance was accurate in my case. I realize I could get into trouble if I'm not careful.

Sabrina Rei

I was over in the chat the other day (Hi chat peeps!) and we were discussing what our kids call us and it's something I've started to think about a lot recently. As open as I am about being transgender in public and with friends and family, I realized it can be awkward and unnecessary to disrupt the harmony around us when my daughter calls the woman in the bikini top or in the bathroom stall next to her "Daddy." XD

I mean, I love to be called Dad and I've made it clear that no matter how I change I will always be her daddy but when we're out it makes way more sense to say "Elle" or whatever nickname we come up with that's less gendered. Someone in chat said they just let their daughter use Daddy and roll with it because it makes them happy and I have mad respect for that but I feel over time that it will be way easier on everyone to use female pronouns and names.

Easier said than done! My daughter, M, struggled with it and most often what I got was "Daddy? I mean Momma... I mean Elle" with a kind of audible wink afterward that made me laugh and then turn a bright shade of pink out of embarrassment. Bless her for trying!

But what should she call me if I'm going to be a woman in her world from here on out on a more permanent basis? Do you guys have children? What do they call you?

Sabrina Rei

Today was a big day. I came out to my boss at work. It was cool but AWKWARD. We had scheduled some time to chat about "what's going on with me lately," but due to running late, our lunch date was changed to a "walk n' talk." I swear to god he tried to start this conversation just feet outside the door to our office and I was like "nuh-uh!" So he said, "Okay then, let's just walk awkwardly down the hall for a couple minutes." Like he literally said that. And then we went up to the sixth floor so he could check his e-mail and then back down to the fourth where he seemed fed up with my silence so in the hallway between two random offices I just flat out told him that I was transgender! He took it well. We took a seat on some heaters (not my #1 choice) and had our heart to heart. Somehow, by the end of this revelation from me we wound up discussing his mid-life crisis XD I'm not ready to go to HR or bring my co-workers in yet but this was a good first step and it sounds like the company will have my back and i might even be attending the Emmy's this year in a dress which would just be my dream come true.

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: elle's bells on November 28, 2018, 04:26:01 PM
Today was a big day. I came out to my boss at work. It was cool but AWKWARD. We had scheduled some time to chat about "what's going on with me lately," but due to running late, our lunch date was changed to a "walk n' talk." I swear to god he tried to start this conversation just feet outside the door to our office and I was like "nuh-uh!" So he said, "Okay then, let's just walk awkwardly down the hall for a couple minutes." Like he literally said that. And then we went up to the sixth floor so he could check his e-mail and then back down to the fourth where he seemed fed up with my silence so in the hallway between two random offices I just flat out told him that I was transgender! He took it well. We took a seat on some heaters (not my #1 choice) and had our heart to heart. Somehow, by the end of this revelation from me we wound up discussing his mid-life crisis XD I'm not ready to go to HR or bring my co-workers in yet but this was a good first step and it sounds like the company will have my back and i might even be attending the Emmy's this year in a dress which would just be my dream come true.

@Elle's bells
Dear Elle:
Thank you for sharing your update...  I see that we were able to get your personal thread moved to one of the MTF forums, and your thread title is perfect, but if you ever desire to change it, that is your option.

Definitely you were a brave girl to come out to you boss as you did.   He was most likely much more nervous than you.   He probably changed the  "lunch"  to a  "walk and talk"  because he knew what might be coming and wanted to be able to move around and if necessary curtail the conversation with a lame excuse when it became too uncomfortable for him.  If he were having lunch with you there would be no escape for him.

You just accomplished one of a number of the most difficult coming out announcements...
...each time it WILL get easier!!!   I am certain that you are feeling like this is another big weight off of your shoulders... you can live more freely and openly now and that is definitely a great feeling.

So, in your opinion what are your next big coming out announcements that have to be done???

Thanks again for sharing...  your followers are interested in your life endeavors...
... we are you biggest fans and we are rooting for you.
Hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Kendra

Elle, congratulations!  You did it and this definitely gets easier over time. 
You are reaching for your dreams and goals, now quite a bit closer to you. 

If you want to attend the Emmys this year in a dress, pick one out.  ;)

Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Lacy

Quote from: elle's bells on November 28, 2018, 04:26:01 PM

I swear for the past 3 days I was going to respond to your previous updates! I am so excited for you! I was writing a book each time, and then got pulled off to do some pesky responsible work!

But I want to pop a quick congratulations about this! Coming out to your boss and having him be supportive is a huge feat! Open the wine bottles Darling!

It seems like he may have been feeling uncomfortable at the beginning of the talk, but him opening up to you about some of the rough times he has had recently is a good sign that you just strengthened your relationship with him in more ways than one!

Yay!
Lacy
She believed she could so she did!

The continuing story of my new life!

•  

Sabrina Rei

Hah! I'll pop the good champagne when I finally come out officially with HR. For now I'll toast my first big step with a box of Franzia a.k.a. the cheap stuff!  XP Not only do I hope to show up to the Emmy's in a dress but I hope to actually win this time!! Fingers crossed!!

Sabrina Rei

Went to my friend's birthday bash in NYC!! Got many compliments on my ASOS shift dress in gold and black sequin stars. Want to write more and will but for now here's a pic of how goddamn happy I was. Like, I don't even recognize this person.

More soon.

Nina

Quote from: elle's bells on August 06, 2018, 09:02:47 AM
And in a hilarious turn of events, I've realized something. I feel more like a woman now even in cargo pants and a t shirt, than I ever did wearing pretty dresses and high heels. All of that seems to have been an expression of some deep rooted desire to belong, to get right and with the dysphoria sort of evaporating, that sense I was looking for is there in the forefront. Like, I still feel comfortable in women's dress clothes, but it's not required any more. I can just... be.

I'm so happy you found peace and happiness.
I cut and pasted the above portion of your opening post as it describes me. Clothes don't make you a woman, but your attitude does. I've not worn a dress or high heels in over 5 years. I get ma'am'd All the time wearing jeans, t shirt and sneakers. We live off-grid, so I'm usually wearing coveralls, rubber boots or crocs lol
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

Sabrina Rei

Quote from: Nina on December 03, 2018, 06:30:06 AM
I'm so happy you found peace and happiness.
I cut and pasted the above portion of your opening post as it describes me. Clothes don't make you a woman, but your attitude does. I've not worn a dress or high heels in over 5 years. I get ma'am'd All the time wearing jeans, t shirt and sneakers. We live off-grid, so I'm usually wearing coveralls, rubber boots or crocs lol

Thank you, Nina! I was with you on the clothes until the crocs... (just kidding!) Seriously I don't even know if attitude is the right word. What makes me a woman is that I'm a woman. LOL. That's an impressive hike! I'm excited to get to that part of my life beyond transition where I just am and I do but I'm enjoying myself now too. Peace and happiness is exactly the right word for it.

Sabrina Rei

I promised I would write about my trip to the city for my friend's birthday party in downtown but first a little history...

I have a friend who I'm going to call Mr. B, he and I have been thick as thieves since we sniffed out each other's weirdness at my first TV job. He joined me in making ridiculous YouTube videos and just last year we went to see Lana Del Rey together. He was one of the first people I came out to about 7 years ago and has been a stubborn but dedicated ally since. It helps that his intellectual curiosity and playful gender expression makes him open to understanding my experiences in a no bull>-bleeped-< kind of way.

Until I started hormones, nothing really changed about how we talked or interacted. I was just a guy in his eyes that liked to play dress up and "act like a girl" sometimes, but on the night I showed up at his place in CT to travel into the city to attend the party together (his wife is also my good friend but she was working and unable to go,) things were very different. I put on a cute dress, pleather leggings, tall riding boots with a modest heel, and made up my face and hair all purty like and arrived to his house an hour late to the time I said I would be there. Atypical for me. When I came in I immediately set about painting my nails which I had not had time for at home. I told him, "they would dry in the car." Being married to a woman that keeps nail polish remover in her TV table, he understood and sat patiently while I applied. We had time yet before we needed to leave. We had discussed on the phone on the ride over how to coordinate our looks, and as my nails set I gave his choices a once over for approval. Jackets wee swapped but ultimately, he did pretty good.

So as we sat in the car, I wanted to address the elephant in the room as soon as possible. We were on a date, right? It was platonic but we were a couple tonight. This took him aback and for the briefest moment it got uncomfortable but then his wife called and we both had a great big laugh. I told her via speakerphone that I was borrowing him for the night and she and I shared a few laughs at his expense before I promised to keep him out of trouble.

Traffic was hell and Mr. B took the lull to tell me about the recent passing of his grandfather which he had kept hidden until now because, although we met on Thursday for a viewing party of Shrek Retold (the hilarious Shrek fan remake,) he had wanted to forget his troubles and enjoy himself. He hoped to get a similar therapeutic effect driving out to the city for this party. I consoled him and listened quietly to him regale me with tales of his grandfather, a man I knew by reputation alone, whose exploits with a monkey in his barn were legendary. I told him, with me, that a good time was guaranteed.

When we got to the FDR, and hit midtown my bladder sent out an emergency signal. I told him I needed a restroom and we pulled off the busy road early. We found parking near the Lincoln Center after some frustrating stop and go traffic and wound our way towards Columbus Circle. I was carrying a gift for our friend J, nine volumes of a graphic novel series I thought she would enjoy in a birthday bag. It proved too heavy for me to carry blocks at a time so I asked Mr. B if he would help me out, we could even take turns. He took it gingerly and rejected my further offers to take the load back. I smiled at this.

Or I would have if my bladder wasn't exploding. We found a restaurant and although the start time for the party was fast approaching, we were both starving. We decided to get a table and a bite to eat before showing up fashionably late but first I could use this chance to sneak into the back and use the ladies room. That plan went better in my head than it did in practice. It turns out that this fancy restaurant had slick polished stone floors and my Pikolino's boots lacked the tread (despite ample scoring I did) to navigate them safely. I was like a drunk princess at Disney on Ice swooping and sloshing from table to wall as I gathered an increasing number of disapproving eyeballs in my direction. Eventually I got to where I needed to go. Thank god the stalls were individual rooms because I literally just got my pants off before, still standing, a fire hose like spray erupted. Too much information? XD

Turns out the wait time was 40 minutes so we bailed. Mission accomplished. Mr. B asked if I wanted something warm to drink so we popped into a cute little bake shop with LUDICROUS prices including $16 for a finger sandwich. While I was marveling at the prices, Mr B went and ordered his drink. When I slid up to the counter he nodded to the waiting cashier and let me throw my hot chocolate on his bill. This wasn't necessarily a male/female thing, but the flow of how it happened and the ease with which we both settled into these roles was new.

We took the subway downtown and when our car arrived, Mr. B, immediately made his way for the middle of the car and although I expected him to continue to the wide open space between seating areas he abruptly stopped right before with little explanation. "Oh, okay. We're stopping in the middle of the seats for some reason?" He didn't register my complaint so I continued on to the open area by myself. When a load of people got off at the next stop he suggested we sit, and I went to join him on the empty row. Again, I expected we'd fill to the last seat but we stopped 1 short, and this time I was so sure that was the plan that I bumped into him. "Wow. You're not going to take the seat furthest down? Why are you so particular?" to which he replied, "God, you sound like my wife." And I was like, "I feel for her plight!" We laughed and then he explained that he wanted to see out the window. A reasonable explanation but I demonstrated that we could see out the window from any of a dozen other options that weren't so infuriating.

When we arrived to the party, we took a booth by ourselves and ignored our friend completely. This was all part of our master plan to have a better birthday party than hers, and tease her about it all day which I'd done through a rival event I created on Facebook that just so happened to be at the same time as hers. I had been sending her updates all night of Mr. B and I at various locales, living it up. She was quite furious and confounded in her replies. She eventually caught sight of us and came barreling up for admonishments and hugs.

We eventually joined the various pods of her party scattered across the bar. A last minute venue change had left us with few options for gathering everyone at the same time at the same table. Still starving I ordered a chili burger which seemed like a safe bet for pub grub. The beer chili that went on the burger was housemade and thus,  probably pretty tasty. Mr. B ordered the same. This is important.

When my burger came and I went to lift it, after shooing away the scavengers aiming for my french fries, the men at the table gasped. "Yeah, dig in girl? You got a chili burger? Good for you!" and other such comments. No one said >-bleeped-< about Mr. B's burger which was the same. After a few bites I realized I had to be careful with my beard cover so I opted to fork and knife it. "Oh man, look at you all dainty with the fork and knife! Who are you George Costanza?" I wasn't mad, mind you. I played along and joined in but I literally couldn't eat without comment. No matter what I did it was a topic brought up for praise, ridicule or more likely a little of both. Meanwhile Mr. B was ALSO eating his burger with a fork and knife and was doing so in complete peace. I brought up this discrepancy to the men at the table and they nodded and then pointed out the difference I'd been neglecting; my dress, my boobs, my hair, my makeup.

That's when I knew. I was like, "Oh >-bleeped-<. I'm a woman!"

All in all, it was an interesting experience and I had a great time. After the party and later that evening, while rubbing my aching feet, on our ride back to CT I asked Mr B, what had changed about me (we both felt it) and his response was, "you're so much more outgoing."

That was it. It really was. I was so... generous with my smiles, laughter and listening ears. I talked to so many people I might've otherwise not engaged with.

At the end of the night, Mr. B brought me a blanket and I crashed on his couch without a second thought.

I like this version of me.

KathyLauren

Quote from: elle's bells on December 03, 2018, 08:22:30 AM

Nice story!  I am glad you enjoyed the date.  And, yes, the part of your post that I quoted is what it is all about.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Nina

Your date put a smile on my face. You exude confidence to the nth degree. I doubt you'll forget the night for a very long time. It sounds like you don't need to try hard to be you...it's like natural.
Congrats!!
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

Lacy

Quote from: elle's bells on December 03, 2018, 08:22:30 AM
I promised I would write about my trip to the city for my friend's birthday party in downtown

That was it. It really was. I was so... generous with my smiles, laughter and listening ears. I talked to so many people I might've otherwise not engaged with.

At the end of the night, Mr. B brought me a blanket and I crashed on his couch without a second thought.

I was smiling so big the entire time I was reading this! Sounds like you had an incredible night and experienced so many new things!

I used to be a lot more introverted, but as I have started my journey, it feels natural to interact with people more! I'm glad you had such a wonderful time.

I look forward to hearing more about your journey!
Lacy

•  

Jennifer M

Wow, just wow. What a great story. Wearing a dress to a big awards ceremony would be wonderful. It seems that things are happening on a good time table for you.

•  

Sabrina Rei

No great big story to share this time but I did come out to my co-workers who I have previously described here on Susan's as "not particularly woke." They certainly lived up to that descriptor. The one I'm closest to, G, reacted with a slightly exaggerated, "REALLY?" and then "SINCE WHEN?" but I know him well enough to know he doesn't mean anything by that. I'm giving them time and space to process everything as I don't think they fully get it yet. They didn't ask any questions about names, or pronouns, or time tables and immediately went back to misgendering me. I expected this and I'm trying not to take it personally. Since I haven't gone to HR yet to set my own time table, I don't really have any right to demand anything more of them than understanding. At least now I don't have to hide my self (not that I thought I was doing a very good job of that) any more.

That was the good news...

I want to share happy stories and adventures here but the truth is sometimes this ain't so easy breezy. Last night, when I told my partner, sensing that momentum for a full time life was building, she asked me not to drop off my daughter to school in a dress until she was ready for it in maybe "middle school or high school" She's afraid of bullying. On the one hand I understand the real concern... on the other hand, FORGET THAT.

Like, everyone has something. My partner is Japanese born, maybe THAT's going to be a source of embarrassment or ridicule at some point. We can't control how other kids respond to our lifestyle, only how our daughter reacts to their comments. I believe in our daughter and I believe she will fight for me. I don't want to hide myself away like I'm ashamed of it. To me, that sends the wrong message to everyone. It suggests that what I'm doing is wrong. We had a big fight. We made up but this isn't going to go away. We're going to have to discuss things and chip away at it. I'm in no rush but if I'm going to start wearing makeup to work, it's going to be hugely inconvenient to have to come home every time as well.

Earlier that day... our heroine called home to her parents thinking to get their advice on some child rearing issues, instead her mother answered. Ugh. I will never have the relationship I want with my mother. My sister never had the relationship she wanted with my mother. But that doesn't mean I don't try. However, the indoctrination into the cult of Fox News and her embracing of only the most annoying and uncharitable parts of the bible has made it even more difficult lately. She told me she had a dream about me in shadows and smoke and I was sad. For those just catching up with this issue, "MY MOTHER IS A PSYCHIC DREAMER" whether that's true or delusional I have never been able to determine but the point is, she believes it and she's been prophetic once or twice in the past. So, with trembling concern she asked how I was and I said, "GREAT!" That seemed to deflate her ballooning maternal nurturing instinct and betray her dream. What I couldn't tell her was that if her dream is a portent of something it's probably that I'm transgender and she doesn't know about it.

Well, as these things go... she started babbling about demons and hell fire. Useful images for excusing the worst of human behavior but when applied to anything that doesn't conform to the norm as idle threat, utterly meaningless. I listened as a good daughter does, peppering her rhetoric with a contrary thought or two but mostly just nodding and verbally agreeing for half an hour. When I felt I'd done my penance, I gathered myself to say goodbye but instead a blaring sound came out of my car speaker that drown out everything else and nothing would make it stop. Divine intervention? Mechanical malfunction? No idea but it certainly shook me none the less.

It feels in some way like a countdown has begun to when I bring my parents (mom included) into this epic narrative I began almost 6 months ago. But for now, I just have to keep it to myself and figure out how I'm going to break their hearts.

Lacy

Quote from: elle's bells on December 06, 2018, 04:49:39 AM
No great big story to share this time but I did come out to my co-workers who I have previously described here on Susan's as "not particularly woke." They certainly lived up to that descriptor. The one I'm closest to, G, reacted with a slightly exaggerated, "REALLY?" and then "SINCE WHEN?" but I know him well enough to know he doesn't mean anything by that. I'm giving them time and space to process everything as I don't think they fully get it yet. They didn't ask any questions about names, or pronouns, or time tables and immediately went back to misgendering me. I expected this and I'm trying not to take it personally. Since I haven't gone to HR yet to set my own time table, I don't really have any right to demand anything more of them than understanding. At least now I don't have to hide my self (not that I thought I was doing a very good job of that) any more.

That was the good news...

I want to share happy stories and adventures here but the truth is sometimes this ain't so easy breezy. Last night, when I told my partner, sensing that momentum for a full time life was building, she asked me not to drop off my daughter to school in a dress until she was ready for it in maybe "middle school or high school" She's afraid of bullying. On the one hand I understand the real concern... on the other hand, FORGET THAT.

Like, everyone has something. My partner is Japanese born, maybe THAT's going to be a source of embarrassment or ridicule at some point. We can't control how other kids respond to our lifestyle, only how our daughter reacts to their comments. I believe in our daughter and I believe she will fight for me. I don't want to hide myself away like I'm ashamed of it. To me, that sends the wrong message to everyone. It suggests that what I'm doing is wrong. We had a big fight. We made up but this isn't going to go away.
We're going to have to discuss things and chip away at it. I'm in no rush but if I'm going to start wearing makeup to work, it's going to be hugely inconvenient to have to come home every time as well.

Earlier that day... our heroine called home to her parents thinking to get their advice on some child rearing issues, instead her mother answered. Ugh. I will never have the relationship I want with my mother. My sister never had the relationship she wanted with my mother. But that doesn't mean I don't try. However, the indoctrination into the cult of Fox News and her embracing of only the most annoying and uncharitable parts of the bible has made it even more difficult lately. She told me she had a dream about me in shadows and smoke and I was sad. For those just catching up with this issue, "MY MOTHER IS A PSYCHIC DREAMER" whether that's true or delusional I have never been able to determine but the point is, she believes it and she's been prophetic once or twice in the past. So, with trembling concern she asked how I was and I said, "GREAT!" That seemed to deflate her ballooning maternal nurturing instinct and betray her dream. What I couldn't tell her was that if her dream is a portent of something it's probably that I'm transgender and she doesn't know about it.

Well, as these things go... she started babbling about demons and hell fire. Useful images for excusing the worst of human behavior but when applied to anything that doesn't conform to the norm as idle threat, utterly meaningless. I listened as a good daughter does, peppering her rhetoric with a contrary thought or two but mostly just nodding and verbally agreeing for half an hour
. When I felt I'd done my penance, I gathered myself to say goodbye but instead a blaring sound came out of my car speaker that drown out everything else and nothing would make it stop. Divine intervention? Mechanical malfunction? No idea but it certainly shook me none the less.

It feels in some way like a countdown has begun to when I bring my parents (mom included) into this epic narrative I began almost 6 months ago. But for now, I just have to keep it to myself and figure out how I'm going to break their hearts.

Congratulations on coming out to your coworkers! That is a huge step and is definitely momentum building! I have not hit that point yet, but I can understand the size of it! I'm proud of you. When things are good, they are good!

On the other hand, when things are bad, they are bad. My wife has shared the same concern with me about our kids being bullied when I start living full time. We have had fights about it, and to me it feels like a major over reaction, and an insult to the kids. Children are super resilient. When they are younger, they look to their parents to know what is "Normal". If they are taught that transpeople exist and are just as real as anything else, then that will follow that making fun of transpeople is wrong. Just like making fun of any other people who are different from what society and the media deem "NORMAL".
To be honest when my wife and I fought about this, I was more upset that she had such little faith in my children's ability to defend themselves and stand up for what is right and stand up for those who are made fun of. It sounds like you have just as much faith in your daughter as I do in my kids. You believe she will stand up for others, and not listen to the hatred that others try to spread. You trust her to pick friends that are loyal to her and love her. Friends that will defend her and her family.
I think some of the fears of the wife may come not so much about the kids, but more of a fear that other kids' parents will be judgmental. I think it is completely ridiculous to ask someone to hide their true selves from others, just because their is a possibility that others will react poorly. Honestly, the amount of people that have reacted negatively to me coming out or being trans, is small compared to those who are support or don't care either way.
I hope things will get better in this situation as time progresses for you.

I do believe we have had conversations elsewhere that seem to show your mother reacts very similar to you as mine does. The overtly filled texts with "son", "man" and any other male pronoun or reference that the can fit in, whether they make sense or not!
My parents are pastors, and my sister and her husband are pastors. I get texts from them about me "Being on their heart" or "They have been thinking about me daily" followed with "We pray you have a closer relationship to God" and that you "Embrace all God has to offer", which is Christianese for "I disagree with what you are and think you are living in sin. Pray the Trans away. You are going to burn!"
I am a Christian, and have found a way to accept both parts of myself. If they can't understand that I am happier and healthier than I have ever been since embracing my trans, and no longer living i the darkness of self hatred, anger and suicide, then I will never be able to change their minds.
It is disappointing and sad, as family means a lot to me. It is not unexpected at all. I still feel sad, but I no longer feel guilty that I "disappointed" them or "broke" their hears. Because they sure as heck don't have any problems continuing to freshly wound me with their views. We can disagree and still be civil and non judgmental. How often do you call your mom and tel her about all the things she does that hurts you, or disappoints you or that you disagree with?
I always respond with a big "GREAT!" just like you did, or answer everything in their texts or conversations besides the negative stuff about my transition. If they want to pretend that they aren't being harsh, then I can show that their opinions about me aren't worth the cellular waves that carry those words!

I hope that you can stay strong through all this, and stay focused on the silver lining! The happier you are, and the more you are staying true to yourself, the more it will rub off on others. And if not, then the place in your life those people hold, have changed. We have to look to the future and forget the past, no matter how hard that is.

BIG HUGS!
Lacy

•  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: elle's bells on December 02, 2018, 08:10:13 PM

Went to my friend's birthday bash in NYC!! Got many compliments on my ASOS shift dress in gold and black sequin stars. Want to write more and will but for now here's a pic of how goddamn happy I was. Like, I don't even recognize this person.

More soon.

You look like you are having such a good time!

I really like that picture!   You are photogenic!

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •