Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Finally started down the path.

Started by Sabrina Rei, August 06, 2018, 09:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabrina Rei

Thank you all for the kind support and for sharing in this journey with me. It means the world to me and I hope, even if just a little, I can inspire those among you who think all of this is somehow out of reach. It's not. I am proof.

It seems like things are moving fast now. Two things have happened since last I wrote.

1) I got my ears pierced. It's ridiculous that I waited this long when over half my guy friends have piercings of some kind or another but I guess I always thought if I dropped too many hints that I was "different" people might pick up the "trans" scent and sniff me out. Turns out, I needn't have ever worried XD 

Piercing them may seem like a small deal but it's more like the final puzzle piece of this vivacious, confident woman, locking into place. What a piercing means is that I don't care if my parents see me with earrings over FaceTime. Because I'm prepared now and also... 

2) My dad told my mom.

The good news is, neither of them disowned me. In fact, they told me they loved me and, though it was hard for them, they accepted that this made me happy. Before you cry tears of joy on my behalf please understand that this came couched in deadnaming, snide admonishments and was so rehearsed and cold I thought for a moment that my father was moving my mother's lips. But...

It's a start and a promising one, at that. What more can I ask for?

I guess in some fantasy version of all this, I imagined a new start for my mother and I. The most emotional part of piercing my ears was when I got home and read the care instructions alone and wondered what tricks my mother would have shared with me if I'd had them done when I was a tween. I guess I'll never know... what other things could she teach me? What would it be like to shop with her as mother and daughter? Maybe I'm what she needs!!

I have more to add but for now I will say, we did it, friends. WE DID IT.

ChrissyRyan

Good for you!  Overall, this sounds very, very positive!   :)     Yay!

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Sabrina Rei

Today is my 7 month tranniversary! Things are pretty awesome! Rather than escalate with the glam ups, I thought I'd just change my profile picture to one of me and my Charizard dinosaur crested gecko, Tomato just chillin' being buds. I was pretty sick over the last two weeks so I actually didn't get to go to my company party like I had hoped.
I did however put together a get together for my immediate show family and that was great. It was nice to be myself outside of "work" with these people who've known me for so long now.

Regardless of whatever plan I had concocted to use the company party to officially come out and reintroduce myself to everyone as the picture of feminine grace, I use the ladies room now. It's just... it's the only thing that makes sense. I'm out, my work e-mail is changed, I told the pit crew to spread the word about me. It kind of sucks to be honest because the ladies room stall has these slats that are SUPER WIDE, so everyone can kind of see what's going on if they even glance your way. Not ideal for someone still navigating the plumbing a penis brings with it while attempting to be ladylike but that's the price. I still feel a little like an imposter in that space. It's gonna take time and, I think, friendly faces to make me feel more at ease.

I had laser this morning and I think I'm done. YAY. If I wanna zap those last few grays, I'm gonna have to go the electrolysis route from now on. But I dunno if I will.

I've gotten to the point in my transition where I don't know whether people know I'm trans when they start talking to me and it's almost worse somehow than having it clear from the beginning? Not knowing from which position I'm speaking can be a bit fraying to the nerves. Still grateful that I've come far enough to raise that ambiguity.

My sister always calls me my new name (it's Bree short for Sabrina, by the way) and I've been helping her through a bad breakup. She has been completely accepting of me this go around and even called me her little sister. I can tell our relationship has shifted because the level of detail in our conversation has gotten, almost grotesquely intimate XD We already shared our first joint cryfest!

Oh, if any of you wanna follow me on twitter, I'm @StewOfBoo (Boo is a longtime nickname I use professionally)

No reason to hide anymore. :D

Sabrina Rei

Someone PM'd me asking about how my progress was going, like, body and mind wise. So here's my 7th month update on that.

So, sadly I haven't had much breast development lately. It seems I'm just about an A cup and that may be where I stay for now, maybe forvever? My legs got a touch more shapely and weight seems to go to my hips now and not my gut so praise Jeebus for that. :D

The most obvious thing for me personally is that my hair has changed. It's a little finer a little silkier and, sadly, more prone to breakage. I'm on a no hair bands policy while I rebuild it back up, though I've broken that policy several times already :P My hair down there has changed too, it's like someone flat ironed it, lol. It's softer and there's less of it for sure. It's also, lighter in color than my other hair and that's not grey hairs it's like auburn instead of dark brown.

Another thing, my libido is slowly returning and you could say that I felt "horny" the other day. Something that I haven't felt in 6 months at least.

I also feel a little more vulnerable and frightened when dealing with men though that may be because I've effectively taken a woman's role in social interactions. When I volunteered a solution at work recently, my coworker raised his voice and curtly told me I was wrong which shut me down almost to the point of tears. I gave him the cold shoulder after that and it seems he realizes that his behavior was inappropriate. If I'd been a "guy" I feel like I could've bellowed back or backed off but I physically locked up when he yelled at me like it was instinctual.

That's about it really. Curious to see where I'll be for my one year in July.

Sabrina Rei

Time for more fab fashion with elle's bells!

So, after I have laser I really can't get a clean shave for a few days after and it used to make me pretty wary of trending female with my look but since I use the ladies and I'm full time now, I don't have that luxury any more so I counter programmed my look by going ultra femme.

The intention behind this look was "hip... but ladylike' while I think the fundamentals are sound, man, I wish I had a more defined waist! My poor belt looks like it's trying to cinch in a cinderblock! Oh well, my friend Laura says I should use a wider belt with the same idea and Katie told me to hitch the belt a little higher up (but I think that's my limit since it will be around my ribcage if any higher.)

I'm like the super mom who takes the leftovers of three meals and makes a semi decent casserole out of the chaos. I have no money for more clothing items right now so I'm mixing and matching and casting black magic over the pieces I do have to mixed results. It's actually really fun even when I come up short as I did here. These shoes I bought like 4 years ago I think and this is the first time I've really worn them out!

Allison S

I love the oufit, the colors and every piece is nice! I personally wouldn't wear a belt over that thick of a cardigan. I've worn a similar look with a lighter, long, flowy cardigan without buttons that I closed- so the belt looked like it served a purpose. Still your outfit is very nice!

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: elle's bells on January 26, 2019, 05:09:00 AM

So, after I have laser I really can't get a clean shave for a few days after and it used to make me pretty wary of trending female with my look but since I use the ladies and I'm full time now, I don't have that luxury any more so I counter programmed my look by going ultra femme.

The intention behind this look was "hip... but ladylike' while I think the fundamentals are sound, man, I wish I had a more defined waist! My poor belt looks like it's trying to cinch in a cinderblock! Oh well, my friend Laura says I should use a wider belt with the same idea and Katie told me to hitch the belt a little higher up (but I think that's my limit since it will be around my ribcage if any higher.)

I'm like the super mom who takes the leftovers of three meals and makes a semi decent casserole out of the chaos. I have no money for more clothing items right now so I'm mixing and matching and casting black magic over the pieces I do have to mixed results. It's actually really fun even when I come up short as I did here. These shoes I bought like 4 years ago I think and this is the first time I've really worn them out!

Elle,

You are so photogenic.   :)

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Sabrina Rei

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on January 26, 2019, 01:02:21 PM

Elle,

You are so photogenic.   :)

Chrissy

WHAT? ME? NO! WHY?     ... thanks. *turns three shades of pink*

Seriously though I have plenty of non-photogenic moments, lol. Like every time someone else takes a picture of me and I can't control every single aspect!

Sabrina Rei

Quote from: Allison S on January 26, 2019, 01:00:09 PM
I love the oufit, the colors and every piece is nice! I personally wouldn't wear a belt over that thick of a cardigan. I've worn a similar look with a lighter, long, flowy cardigan without buttons that I closed- so the belt looked like it served a purpose. Still your outfit is very nice!

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Linde

I think you are a pretty good looking woman who has a very pretty face!  I enjoyed reading your stories!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

TonyaW

Quote from: elle's bells on January 26, 2019, 05:09:00 AM

I really love that outfit, looks awesome. I think your friend might be right about a wider belt under the sweater though.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

Lacy

No one has said it yet...but those legs! Girl! Work those babies! Gorgeous!

I also like the thick belt under the sweater, but I don't think it needs to go higher.

Lacy
She believed she could so she did!

The continuing story of my new life!

•  

Sabrina Rei

Quote from: Dietlind on January 27, 2019, 08:52:41 AM
I think you are a pretty good looking woman who has a very pretty face!  I enjoyed reading your stories!

Thanks Dietlind! And might I say that you are STUNNING for a woman over 60 let alone in her 70s!

Sabrina Rei

Quote from: TonyaW on January 27, 2019, 04:56:44 PM
I really love that outfit, looks awesome. I think your friend might be right about a wider belt under the sweater though.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks! Yeah, I'm definitely rethinking the styling.

Sabrina Rei

Quote from: RealLacy on January 28, 2019, 08:49:51 PM
No one has said it yet...but those legs! Girl! Work those babies! Gorgeous!

I also like the thick belt under the sweater, but I don't think it needs to go higher.

Lacy

Haha! Thanks. My walking sticks are definitely my charm point.

Linde

Quote from: elle's bells on February 02, 2019, 05:08:04 AM
Thanks Dietlind! And might I say that you are STUNNING for a woman over 60 let alone in her 70s!
Well, the cosmetic industry helped a lot with my looks!  When my friend did do the contouring with me, I almost felt as if I was in for a repair job in an auto body shop.
Any painter would have been in awe after seeing her millions of brushes, and other tools to apply layers of some masses onto my face!

•  

Sabrina Rei

I am an emotionally changed person. There's no other way to say it. How I process my emotions and my responses to others has become so calm, loving and precise. When I try to remember how I felt as a guy (or at least on testosterone since I was never technically a "guy,")  it feels like my emotions were slapdash and unfocused.

When I was in high school I took an aptitude test and the result was that I should become a counselor and I scoffed at it.  I was so screwed up in my own head, I thought surely no one would want to take advice from me. I never really thought too hard about it again but recently, I've come to think I would make a damn fine counselor with proper training etc. Not that I'm going to but... well, here's an example.

My Mom. I've been gently nudging my parents to continue their progress towards acceptance of my gender identity rather than get stuck in the denial stage. In FaceTime sessions with them I've flat out stopped attempting to "butch up" my looks or personality. First of all because I don't want to and second of all because it's oftentimes inconvenient. I want them to know my new normal and if they object, well, they can always not call. It's strange how cold this attitude seems but it doesn't change how much I love them.

After weathering their misgendering and lack of effort to even start out on the right foot, I finally snapped and told them how I feel not in a whiny or desperate way but in a matter of fact appeal to their better natures. Following that my mother said, adorably, "Hi Bree!" (that's the name I use outside of here in case you forgot) Things seemed to improve with her but my Dad is taking it hard and I could see the pain he was in. More on this in a bit.

A couple days later, I txt'd my mom telling her that since she had not taken me up on my offer to help me choose a middle name, I wondered what she thought of Ray (spelled Rae or Rei) after my grandfather. She responded back that she liked my old middle name "Philip" but said I could "do what I want" ignoring my request for her opinion completely. So, I wrote back that "philip" was unsuitable for a woman's middle name and that I didn't need or want her permission to change it, what I wanted was her opinion. She apologized and I told her that I wasn't mad or sad, that I simply wanted her to be a part of my life moving forward because I love her. Like I said, precise.

If I was an emotional machine gunner before, I was an elite sniper now.

My Dad. Because I saw how tough it was on him, I called him up to get a temperature read and see if I could help address some of the issues he was having. He immediately put up walls and started deflecting. He said "there's nothing you can do" "we're just old folks set in our ways" so I told him, "You're right. But there are things you can do." I told him that I feared that he would carry this burden by himself and that his insistence that time would heal all wounds and all he needed was time, wasn't entirely true so long as he had those mental barriers up. Then I started asking him questions.

My mother is religious and she worries for my immortal soul, but my father has no such convictions. So why was he so against the idea of my being transgender? I understand that he mourns for his son, but what about this person, your child, has really changed due to a transition? He told me he fretted for my wife and child, my family. I told him that the issue of my wife and child is between me and her and that his relationship with them was between those individuals.

What else? Is he embarrassed to be seen with me? Is he worried about social situations? He said he didn't know. He always claimed he wanted me to be happy beyond anything else. After a little stammering he said he felt I had made a terrible choice and was worried about me and my life going forward. I told him it was never really a choice and that I was happier than I had ever been. He admitted again that he understood that and had reconciled with the fact that this is the only way for me to feel whole. So I said, if you understand that and you see that I'm the same person who likes movies about two guys killing each other with swords, then I ask again what's really changed? 

He got defensive. Said I was psychoanalyzing him. I told him he was right and that I had no right to ask these questions but then I lead him where I needed him to go: Back to the idea of talking to someone, either a counselor or a close friend. I told him it's important to understand not just how you feel but why you feel that way. My Dad is from the old school. This is such an alien concept to him. He sent me to therapy as a kid, let them put me on antidepressants, but this wasn't something he would ever consider for himself. I concluded by telling him that I only want to ease his pain and get to the part where our relationship has never been better.

I didn't cry. I didn't take the bait. I didn't escalate the fight. This new version of me waits for her moment to strike with deadly precision but also remains kind and self reflective. I don't want to win. I want everyone to win and that's the real difference.

Sabrina Rei

Phew. That was a lot of writing! Time for a palette cleanse, more fab fashion!! 

JCrew accidentally sent me a semi sheer ivory turtleneck with a recent order (I'm starting up my Spring/Summer wardrobe y'all!) so I attempted to coordinate this unexpected addition with my other pieces. I found the process THRILLING. I'm definitely in Taylor Swift mode here. All I need is the red lips. In fact, I think these cute oxford shoes are from when I was starting to build towards transition 5 years ago and I had a bunch of pictures of tall women like Swift, Karlie Kloss and Deborah Ann Woll for inspiration.

Linde

Quote from: elle's bells on February 07, 2019, 04:27:17 AM
Phew. That was a lot of writing! Time for a palette cleanse, more fab fashion!! 

JCrew accidentally sent me a semi sheer ivory turtleneck with a recent order (I'm starting up my Spring/Summer wardrobe y'all!) so I attempted to coordinate this unexpected addition with my other pieces. I found the process THRILLING. I'm definitely in Taylor Swift mode here. All I need is the red lips. In fact, I think these cute oxford shoes are from when I was starting to build towards transition 5 years ago and I had a bunch of pictures of tall women like Swift, Karlie Kloss and Deborah Ann Woll for inspiration.
You are a darn good looking lady!  I bet if your dad would go out with you, he would be proud presenting such a pretty daughter to his buddies!

•  

Sabrina Rei

Saying Goodbye.

I told myself I'd never be the type of person who would refer to their male persona in the third person, but here I am this morning doing just that. My life as a woman, and I can say that now without even a hint of a pause in my voice, is well underway. Day in and day out I live as a woman wearing the clothes, shoes and accessories which fit my body and my lifestyle. I realized today that I have no more use for "his" things and so I started to bag them for storage or donation.

And that's when it hit me.

The enormity of "his" life. So full of light and love and laughter. So many beautiful, bittersweet memories... that we shared; he in the driver's seat and me a passenger. All that pain that he endured for me, to keep me safe, at last, at rest. I don't know what the future holds but I know that I will live a full, sparkling life worthy of his sacrifice. I'm so grateful to the big guy but it's okay... he can rest now.

I GOT THIS.