Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Transgender ministers?

Started by Danielle Kristina, August 14, 2018, 05:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danielle Kristina

I'm a transgender Christian theology student with the hopes of entering the ministry after graduating.  It's something I've had on my heart for over a decade and three years ago I began going to school to make fulfilling that calling happen.  But here's the kicker - I'm transgender!  It was only in the last few months that I realized it.  It's been with me my entire life, but I ignored it, suppressed it, and pretended like it wasn't real.  I did that until I finally realized I couldn't fight it anymore.  Many Christians and church leaders don't speak too kindly or warmly about LGBTQ people or their issues.  I'm wondering if I even have a chance at a future in ministry as a transgender person.  I could decide to not transition, but my transgender feelings have become stronger than ever and my authentic self is now impossible to ignore.  At the same time my spiritual side is too.  So, do any of you think I have any hope in becoming a transgender minister or would I be fooling myself in think inf that were possible?
April 19, 2018: First post here on Susan's Place
April 27, 2018: First session with my gender therapist
July 30, 2018: Received my HRT letter
September 3,2018: Came our for the first time

Becoming me more every day!!!
  •  

Deborah

It is possible because there are some.  You just need to find the right denomination.  However, at one time I was on that same path. The conflict in my mind finally became too great so I gave it up.

I wish you luck in finding a better way to reconcile it all than I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

GingerVicki

There is no reason why you can't pursue who you are and what you want to do. While I am not 'Christian' I am spiritual and there is overlap. I thought about going to church, but it is in a really bad neighborhood and kind of a pain to get to.

Here is a link to an option. https://www.mccchurch.org/
  •  

Danielle Kristina

Quote from: gingerViktorKay on August 14, 2018, 06:14:43 PM
There is no reason why you can't pursue who you are and what you want to do. While I am not 'Christian' I am spiritual and there is overlap. I thought about going to church, but it is in a really bad neighborhood and kind of a pain to get to.

Here is a link to an option. https://www.mccchurch.org/

Thank you!  I've never heard of MCC.  I'll have to look into them. 

•  

ErinWDK

Danielle,

There are transgender Christian ministers.  Some denominations rule out that possibility.  The only transgender minister I know is about my age and they are NOT out in church.  That is a tough way to live.  The one transgender pastor that has written about his experience is David Weekley.  He is a transgender man and served many years as a United Methodist pastor before coming out.  The story of this is told in his 2011 book "Out of the Wilderness."  I do not know what happened to him after he came out.  He did go back to seminary and earned his Doctor of Ministry in 2016 and became the pastor of a church in New England; but one suspects there is a LOT of backstory to that.  Being me, I also sort of suspect that a lot of the backstory was not very transgender friendly.

There are others, mostly in traditionally affirming churches.  The Metropolitan Community Church has been affirming for a long time.  You need to look at the sorts of churches your school works with before you openly come out.  There is a risk if the faculty has some anti LGBTQ hardliners -- those would make it hard for you to receive your diploma; no matter how hard you work to earn it.  Some areas of the Church Universal make being transgender harder.

I hope all goes well for you!

Erin
  •  

Danielle Kristina

Quote from: ErinWDK on August 15, 2018, 11:43:25 AM
Danielle,

There are transgender Christian ministers.  Some denominations rule out that possibility.  The only transgender minister I know is about my age and they are NOT out in church.  That is a tough way to live.  The one transgender pastor that has written about his experience is David Weekley.  He is a transgender man and served many years as a United Methodist pastor before coming out.  The story of this is told in his 2011 book "Out of the Wilderness."  I do not know what happened to him after he came out.  He did go back to seminary and earned his Doctor of Ministry in 2016 and became the pastor of a church in New England; but one suspects there is a LOT of backstory to that.  Being me, I also sort of suspect that a lot of the backstory was not very transgender friendly.

There are others, mostly in traditionally affirming churches.  The Metropolitan Community Church has been affirming for a long time.  You need to look at the sorts of churches your school works with before you openly come out.  There is a risk if the faculty has some anti LGBTQ hardliners -- those would make it hard for you to receive your diploma; no matter how hard you work to earn it.  Some areas of the Church Universal make being transgender harder.

I hope all goes well for you!

Erin

Thank you.  Both my spiritual side and my authentic self are terribly important to me and I can't ignore either of them.  They've both been with me for my entire life.  I would hate to think that I have to sacrifice one for the other, because doing so would mean that I'm not being who I truly am.

•  

Sarah1979

I'm not on the ministerial path, but I have been Christian my entire life, and I believe that if there are any congregations that would not accept it, they are very likely those that are not following in Christ's teachings... We are all one in Christ Jesus, we are all sinners and fallen short.  I think using your nature(if comfortable for you being out among them) would be a fantastic way of showing that God has love for all of us no matter who we are.
  •  

DustKitten

I had heard of lesbian pastors, but never one who was transgender. If it's what you want to do with your life, then go for it. The main thing would be finding/starting the church that's right for you. It doesn't matter if Christians in general are accepting of you so long as your congregation is.

Of course, there are also a number of Christian transgender people out there, like yourself, who feel somewhat unwelcome in their old communities. Perhaps you could start a church in a big city somewhere and try to get some fellow trans people to join? :) Personally I'm not Christian anymore, but whenever I hear about LGBT churches I feel excited anyway. I want religion to be a positive thing that accepts everyone, even if I'm not a part of it myself.
  •  

Danielle Kristina

Quote from: Sarah1979 on August 16, 2018, 01:23:56 PM
I'm not on the ministerial path, but I have been Christian my entire life, and I believe that if there are any congregations that would not accept it, they are very likely those that are not following in Christ's teachings... We are all one in Christ Jesus, we are all sinners and fallen short.  I think using your nature(if comfortable for you being out among them) would be a fantastic way of showing that God has love for all of us no matter who we are.

Thank you.  I certainly hope so.  I have been delivered from some low points in my life such as addiction and homelessness.  It took the grace of God and my willingness to receive it.  I would like to be able to serve as an example of what God can do in a person's life.

•  

Dianne H

Danielle,
If you are truly called of God the Lord will make a way. You don't need a paper from man's education system.
I know people who are ministers who ended up getting ordained without seminary or man's highly esteemed system.
Just trust the Lord sweetie and he will direct your path.
There is a battle within us about this as Deborah said. She's honest about that and right. It's not easy when the feelings you have go against scripture as taught by the modern churches.
Another sister here is a minister as well and she isn't ordained by the mainstream churches. The Lord verified her calling through other ministers and saints of God.
The Lord has guided her every step of the way. She's a real sweetheart and a blessing to listen to.
Don't give up but don't force it either. Just trust the Lord and above all else, be honest with him. If he wants you to be a minister you'll be one. If not, you'll just be a false prophet.
Above all else, remember that salvation is not based on gay or straight, cis or trans, but on the rightly divided word of truth as brought forth by the Spirit.
I hope this helps.
May God bless.
Christian
US Army vet
  •  

Danielle Kristina

Quote from: Dianne H on August 18, 2018, 03:06:05 AM
Danielle,
If you are truly called of God the Lord will make a way. You don't need a paper from man's education system.
I know people who are ministers who ended up getting ordained without seminary or man's highly esteemed system.
Just trust the Lord sweetie and he will direct your path.
There is a battle within us about this as Deborah said. She's honest about that and right. It's not easy when the feelings you have go against scripture as taught by the modern churches.
Another sister here is a minister as well and she isn't ordained by the mainstream churches. The Lord verified her calling through other ministers and saints of God.
The Lord has guided her every step of the way. She's a real sweetheart and a blessing to listen to.
Don't give up but don't force it either. Just trust the Lord and above all else, be honest with him. If he wants you to be a minister you'll be one. If not, you'll just be a false prophet.
Above all else, remember that salvation is not based on gay or straight, cis or trans, but on the rightly divided word of truth as brought forth by the Spirit.
I hope this helps.
May God bless.

Hi Dianne,

Thank you.  The battle between man's teachings of Scripture versus my feelings has scared me since the day I recognized that I just might be trans.  Over time, I've come to terms with being transgender and gained a sense of peace in my faith.  I know I'm called to ministry.  While my head wanted other career pursuits, ministry is all that my heart has ever wanted.  Up until a few years ago when I began my theology education I chased after money instead of calling.  After doing so for years and years without finding happiness, I finally decided to surrender and accept God's direction for my life instead of my own.  I'm glad that there are transgender ministers out there.  That gives me hope. 

Hugs!!

Danielle

•  

Dianne H

Danielle,
It's so awesome you feel that way and have come to peace with your thoughts, emotions, self and the Lord. It really blesses me to see someone who tried to do other things and found she had to surrender to the Spirit of God. They make the best ministers since they weren't seeking the high seat, so to speak.

Keep going and trusting the Lord. Those who are truly called of the Lord he guides in ways many may not understand or accept. The Lord is merciful and he guides his ministers in his way and in his time.

Have a blessed day.
Christian
US Army vet
  •  

anne_indy

Here are a couple of successful examples:

Paula Williams - https://paulastonewilliams.com/

Allyson Robinson - https://www.christiantoday.com/article/meet-allyson-robinson-the-first-openly-transgender-baptist-minister/75672.htm

Paula is in the Denver area. Her blog provides a comprehensive outline of her struggles and achievements. I have met her personally. She is very real, open, and honest. She also has a fascinating Ted talk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  •  

SarahM777

Danielle,

Just remember that should you switch denominations, you should be aware of a few things that seem to have been overlooked so far. (Not that you haven't thought about them but they could make things a bit more difficult for you if you haven't yet)

Remember going through a different denomination will have some draw bakes depending on how divergent from each other the doctrines that the 2 teach.  (IE you will need to deal with differences between how they view baptism imersion as opposed to sprinkling, literal verses a more allegorical rendering of scripture, whether they are KJV only or another version only. Non trinitarian,binitarian or trinitarian. Replacement, covenant or dispensation theology. Reformed verses armenian. Scarements as opposed to symbolic. ETC) If you are NOT close in agreement with the doctrines they teach, you are going to have one hard time of it. Remember they all claim to have the truth out of the same book with totally different interpretations. (What a mess men have made of it)

I love this one

Acts 4

Acts 4 New International Version (NIV)

Peter and John Before the Sanhedrin
4 The priests and the captain of the temple guard and the Sadducees came up to Peter and John while they were speaking to the people. 2 They were greatly disturbed because the apostles were teaching the people, proclaiming in Jesus the resurrection of the dead. 3 They seized Peter and John and, because it was evening, they put them in jail until the next day. 4 But many who heard the message believed; so the number of men who believed grew to about five thousand.
5 The next day the rulers, the elders and the teachers of the law met in Jerusalem. 6 Annas the high priest was there, and so were Caiaphas, John, Alexander and others of the high priest's family. 7 They had Peter and John brought before them and began to question them: "By what power or what name did you do this?"
8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them: "Rulers and elders of the people! 9 If we are being called to account today for an act of kindness shown to a man who was lame and are being asked how he was healed, 10 then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed. 11 Jesus is
"'the stone you builders rejected,
    which has become the cornerstone.'[a]
12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved."
13 When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus. 14 But since they could see the man who had been healed standing there with them, there was nothing they could say. 15 So they ordered them to withdraw from the Sanhedrin and then conferred together. 16 "What are we going to do with these men?" they asked. "Everyone living in Jerusalem knows they have performed a notable sign, and we cannot deny it. 17 But to stop this thing from spreading any further among the people, we must warn them to speak no longer to anyone in this name."

Lets see the so called uneducated fishermen teaching the so called educated religious leaders and the thing they noted was that Peter and John had been with Jesus.

Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard.

Be positive in the fact that there is always one person in a worse situation then you.

The Fourth Doctor
  •  

Dianne H

Sarah,
Great point sweetie.
Men have used seminary, college, and all sort of things to divide, confuse and condemn those who don't fit their cookie cutter view of Christianity or a minister.
The Lord has always used the word of God and the Holy Ghost, which Peter and John used.
That's being with Jesus.
Worshipping honestly in Spirit and in truth.
It's time the common people sought the Lord and turned to Jesus above and beyond what any person or denomination teaches. The Lord will guide any of us as he is no respecter of persons.
I loved your answer.
You're a blessing.

Hugs,
Dianne
Christian
US Army vet
  •