News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Need some reassurance with Electrolysis

Started by heather3791, August 18, 2018, 09:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

Quote from: Breeze 57 on August 25, 2018, 10:55:23 PM
Heather:  First off, let me say, I think my electrologist is amazing and I feel fortunate to have her.  She is very innovative and has had clients from all over the world.  I started electrolysis at the very end of December 2017, so I've been at it for appr. 8 full months now.  At most I only do one time a week (I do weekends) and in total I probably have maybe 60 hours in.  I didn't keep an accurate hours count the first few months.  I know in the last 3 months I have a total of 6 hours her chair.  Admittedly, I've never had a full/thick beard, but it wasn't sparse either.  Probably a little less than average.  I've only done electrolysis, never had any laser treatments.  Everytime I go now it is a full clearing which I absolutely love.  I have to say, even my electrologist was happy she got completely done with me in 90 minutes.  I'm not sure her "techniques" have a name or if she just tries new things, but she tells me she tries to keep the hair guessing and varies her methods.  I think she is kind of experimenting to see if this is more effective.  This 3 in and 3 out method does take more time though so the number of hairs treated per hour will decrease.  And if she finds resistant hairs, she will treat them twice or sometimes even 3 times.  I don't know all the technicalities, but I know on the one pulse method, she used "chin 8" with a duration of a quarter of a second pulse.  With the 3-pulse method, I'm not sure of the intensity, but the duration per pulse is much shorter.  I know everytime she pushes the pedal, the machine gives 3 pulses.

Hope this helps.  I know she gives a lot of talks at electrology conferences, so I think she is pretty well known in that circle.   I know I read other gals experiences with facial hair removal and I feel so grateful.

Wow.  Nice.  Where is she located, if you are comfortable sharing.

Thanks

Karen
Karen

* felt different like I did not fit, with strong feminine feelings and gender questions my entire life
* Sept 2016 - January 2017 real began to seriously question and research gender
* August 2017 friend explains transgender and gender vs sexual orientation, and immediately felt shock and begin to believe I maybe transgender
* March 2018 after 3 therapists, accepts I am transgender and am transitioning
* July 18, 2018 began HRT
* Feb 4, 2019 began Estrogen
  •  

Breeze 57

I wasn't sure if that was allowed as I wasn't sure if it was considered advertising or what not.  But I'm just a client of hers and don't receive any financial benefits or discounts.  I will sing her praises day and night though as she has helped me both with hair removal and psychologically as well.  I've told her a session with her is just as good as any therapy session I've been to.  She is a transwoman too and as such, can really relate to the problems I've encountered early on in my journey.  Her name is Belle Brine and she is located in Champaign, Illinois.  She was affiliated as an outside contractor with Dr. Zukowski and offered high volume hair removal in the Chicago area.  That service is still available at Dr. Zukowski's office by a friend and former business partner of Belle's.  She just does normal electrolysis at her Champaign office, but still does initial consultations for the large volume sedated hair removal.  I'm sure that is where I will go when and if I need to prep for bottom surgery. 

Belle has had some health issues and has scaled back somewhat to concentrate on that.  I actually look forward to my sessions with her and consider her my friend.  I've never electrolysis with anyone else so I can't really compare, but I hope everyone is as good and professional as her.
  •  

Miss Clara

Quote from: Breeze 57 on August 26, 2018, 09:00:52 AM
Her name is Belle Brine and she is located in Champaign, Illinois.  She was affiliated as an outside contractor with Dr. Zukowski and offered high volume hair removal in the Chicago area.  That service is still available at Dr. Zukowski's office by a friend and former business partner of Belle's. 

Belle and her associate, Irina Cardos were the ones I had do my volume (full face and neck) hair removal under sedation and local lidocaine/epinephrine anesthetic injections, a total of 90 hours in four sessions spaced 6 weeks apart.  When Irina started her own salon business, I continued electrolysis under her care alone.  I'm still going to Irina.  I have my annual maintenance session scheduled for next month at her salon in Chicago.  As Breeze mentioned, she now runs the volume hair removal practice at the Zukowski Center in Wilmette, IL.  Irina is very trans friendly, conscientious, and, most importantly in my opinion, willing and able to adjust her treatment technique and regimen to achieve the most efficient results for each client's unique situation.    I highly recommend Irina.
  •  

Donica

Quote from: Breeze 57 on August 25, 2018, 10:55:23 PM
Heather:  First off, let me say, I think my electrologist is amazing and I feel fortunate to have her.  She is very innovative and has had clients from all over the world.  I started electrolysis at the very end of December 2017, so I've been at it for appr. 8 full months now.  At most I only do one time a week (I do weekends) and in total I probably have maybe 60 hours in.  I didn't keep an accurate hours count the first few months.  I know in the last 3 months I have a total of 6 hours her chair.  Admittedly, I've never had a full/thick beard, but it wasn't sparse either.  Probably a little less than average.  I've only done electrolysis, never had any laser treatments.  Everytime I go now it is a full clearing which I absolutely love.  I have to say, even my electrologist was happy she got completely done with me in 90 minutes.  I'm not sure her "techniques" have a name or if she just tries new things, but she tells me she tries to keep the hair guessing and varies her methods.  I think she is kind of experimenting to see if this is more effective.  This 3 in and 3 out method does take more time though so the number of hairs treated per hour will decrease.  And if she finds resistant hairs, she will treat them twice or sometimes even 3 times.  I don't know all the technicalities, but I know on the one pulse method, she used "chin 8" with a duration of a quarter of a second pulse.  With the 3-pulse method, I'm not sure of the intensity, but the duration per pulse is much shorter.  I know everytime she pushes the pedal, the machine gives 3 pulses.

Hope this helps.  I know she gives a lot of talks at electrology conferences, so I think she is pretty well known in that circle.   I know I read other gals experiences with facial hair removal and I feel so grateful. 

Hi Breeze. My electrolysis does almost the very same thing. Depending the type of hair, she will zap it 2 to 3 times before she pulls it out and then zaps it another 2 to 3 times after she removes it. It does take longer but it is much more efficient. My first treatment was only 1 hour but she did 2 patches on both of my cheeks. The hair has yet to grow back there. But now, my chin is very different. I did 2 hours on just my chin and it has grown just a little lighter than before any treatments. Perhaps you could mention this to your electrolysis In a delicate manner as to not piss her off? So many other threads about this subject suggest that slow is best to reduce the potential for damage. Hang in there Heather! It just takes time.

Hugs,
Donica.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

nancy_james

I freaked out the first time when I heard that electrolysis destroys the growth center of hair follicles. But then, I realized it's to get rid of all the excess hair. When you hear about hair removal treatment methods, it puts you in a state of panic because you're confused whether it could affect the hair on your head or just localized bundles of hair.  :laugh:

Anyway, I've undergone laser hair removal treatment once and the folks claimed to use special state-of-the-art aesthetic medical devices. I recommend it because it's highly versatile but the after-effects included irritation in the form of inflammation and itching at where the lasers were pointed. The worst part was these were recurring but side effects vary based on individuals- I have super sensitive skin.

Hoping to find a good certified Dermatologist to get electrolysis done.
  •  

Miss Clara

Quote from: nancy_james on September 11, 2018, 11:15:15 PM
Hoping to find a good certified Dermatologist to get electrolysis done.

Hi Nancy,
Most electrologists are not dermatologists, and one does not have to be one to be good at performing hair removal.  Having said that, it is important to find a well qualified licensed electrologist.  They should be experienced in the art and equipped with up-to-date equipment capable of both RF (flash), galvanic, and blend (galvanic + RF) modalities.
  •  

nancy_james

Thanks for that tip, Miss Clara.

I had always thought the other way around  ::)

•  

Antonia J

Quote from: JudiBlueEyes on August 18, 2018, 11:13:33 AM
Heather it will take what it will take.... Hang in there!

^ This. I have had several hours of laser and electrolysis sessions, probably $2000 into in total, and while the beard is lightened if I let it grow out, it is still there. If I am feeling really dysphoric on a particular day, I might shave a couple of times and blend foundation over it. I have a mix of dark hair and gray.
  •