Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Makeup after Electrolysis

Started by walkerbrooke, August 20, 2018, 05:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerbrooke

Hi!

Tomorrow I start electrolysis and I was wondering about foundation/makeup techniques. My current routine is I shave every morning, and use a full coverage foundation that does an okay job at hiding the shadow. I know I need to wait at least 24 hours before foundation but I was wondering if you had any tips. I've read that some people do a layer of diaper rash cream or aloe vera gel before foundation. Any tips? I can't wait the full 72 hours due to my job so I would like to do as much as I can to help the healing whether that be icing, witch hazel, Benadryl (I read someone says that helps with inflammation), aloe vera gel, etc..

Also, should I use a certain brand of makeup? Does anyone shave right after their appointment?

Sorry I'm all over the place, I'm just worried and nervous! Any help is appreciated!
  •  

Sonja

@walkerbrooke

Use primer or bb cream before foundation.
Use a good quality skin repair cream that includes retinol, vitamin c and e and also lycopene (found in tomatoes) if you can find it, please don't stick icing or benadryl on your skin.

I haven't done electrolysis so I don't know, hopefully someone will reply to this.

Sonja.
  •  

jill610

Witch hazel right afterwards then ice it until the burning stops. I get it done in 4 hour blocks so I get a lot of swelling.

Then neosporin and hydrocortisone. The hydrocortisone pulls down the swelling and the neosporin helps prevent scarring. 

•  

Kendra

Hello walkerbrooke, welcome to Susan's!

I don't have a great answer for you - I started and largely completed electrolysis before I made a final decision to transition.  (I figured even if I didn't transition, at least I wouldn't have to shave).  Others here will have better advice/experience than I have with electrolysis and makeup.

Since this was your first post I'll add site guidelines and information to help with navigation.

Things that you should read

When you get a chance it would be great if you introduce yourself in the Introductions Forum.

Best wishes on your start of electrolysis.  I am so glad now that I had all that electrolysis - it is challenging but definitely worth it. 

Kendra
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

DawnOday

Hello Walkerbrooke.  Nanci my electrolicist for most of my hair removal wipes the face down with witch hazel before starting and finishes with aloe gel. Christy who has worked on me several time uses a gel of some kind and then uses a massage thingy for about five minutes to calm my face. It does make it less painful and I can generally do makeup after a couple hours. I usually lose any redness by the time I make my 30 minute drive home.  Witch Hazel is an astringent and you might want to use some before making up. I look a whole lot better when I use Primer and makeup goes on much easier. I use a single blade device for microplaining. Just make sure to prep your beard. I have been on HRT for two years so most the hair I have left is not as course as it used to be.Actually it's an eyebrow blade. Not only does it give a really close shave.  It also makes your skin super soft because it removes the dead skin cells and makes any serums you use like Sonija suggested, absorb into the skin better.  I use Estee Lauder make up. It is relatively expensive but gives great coverage. I tried the cheaper stuff but I could clearly see a difference. Here is a tutorial on how to do it.   
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Harley Quinn

I don't regularly use makeup right after electrolysis, but I have done it on occasion.  I had no problems with my face when applying makeup an hour afterwards.  I would ensure to wash your face clean that evening, or you may break out.  I use Laneige water bank moisturizer and lancome tient de idole foundation as of current.  It's very light for being a medium coverage foundation/concealer.  As for shaving, I just use a fresh blade in a dual edge safetly razor, some cheap unscented shave soap, and badger brush.  I've not had any issues with irritation, despite being instructed to my face clean and dry for a couple days after.  I would shy away from anything too heavy with freshly open pores.  It sounds like a recipe for a breakout.  Now Laser irritates the heck out of my face and shaving is a no-go for almost a week (let alone makeup).
At what point did my life go Looney Tunes? How did it happen? Who's to blame?... Batman, that's who. Batman! It's always been Batman! Ruining my life, spoiling my fun! >:-)
  •  

VickyS

I have often wondered how people cope with electrolysis when living full time, so thank you for posting!

My electrologist said not to use makeup for at least 2 days after treatment because of the open pore issue and also that it will heal better if the air can get to it.

Luckily in this case I'm presenting male at the moment so makeup is not an issue for me, but I wonder how you are coping with the shaving as I have to have 3 days of growth before being zapped and then I don't shave for 2 days afterwards because I want it to heal as much as I can before attacking it with a blade again!  Again, luckily I don't work with the public so the company don't care if I'm shaved or not.

I guess you COULD shave straight after an appointment before any scabbing and much swelling has occurred.  Interesting to hear if anyone does that.

Also, I'd be worried that using makeup straight after might cause issues but I'd personally explain your whole situation to your electrologist and see what they say.

V x
Came out to self: mid Oct 17                   Last haircut: 3rd Nov 17       
Came out to wife: 17th Jan 18                 Therapy started: 1st Mar 18
Electrolysis started: 10th Apr 18              Referred to GIC: 16th May 18
  •  

KatieP

Quote from: DawnOday on August 21, 2018, 09:17:52 PM
I use a single blade device for microplaining. Just make sure to prep your beard.

Hi Dawn,
I watched the video. You do that to yourself? I kept waiting for the #10 blade to do something really gruesome. Naively, I would think a good multi-blade safety razor would provide similar results, except for the slicing off the top layer of skin part.

The video talks about vellus hair, but this same thing works on actual beard hair?

Kate
  •  

Donica

Quote from: walkerbrooke on August 20, 2018, 05:24:49 PM
Hi!

Tomorrow I start electrolysis and I was wondering about foundation/makeup techniques. My current routine is I shave every morning, and use a full coverage foundation that does an okay job at hiding the shadow. I know I need to wait at least 24 hours before foundation but I was wondering if you had any tips. I've read that some people do a layer of diaper rash cream or aloe vera gel before foundation. Any tips? I can't wait the full 72 hours due to my job so I would like to do as much as I can to help the healing whether that be icing, witch hazel, Benadryl (I read someone says that helps with inflammation), aloe vera gel, etc..

Also, should I use a certain brand of makeup? Does anyone shave right after their appointment?

Sorry I'm all over the place, I'm just worried and nervous! Any help is appreciated!

Hi Walkerbrooke! I do shave but not until the next morning. I also wash my face before bed. I don't use a lot of makup so I couldn't tell you what to use or when to use it. I am interested to know what I can use as well. It a little easer for me because Grandma doesn't wear a lot of makeup. Still, I'll be watching this thread.

Hugs,
Donica
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •