Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Starting the list

Started by wanderingaddy, August 22, 2018, 07:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderingaddy

This week I began telling people other than my wife that I am transgender. It started with a close friend my wife and I share through our online gaming community, followed by one of my closest friends from uni with whom I completed my doctorate.

I'm still working up to telling my family, who do have a bit of a homophobic/transphobic streak to them. Honestly I have no worries if they don't want to support me through this - we received virtually no support from them previously through our multiple failed rounds of IVF so expectations are low for this as well.

The interesting reveal is going to be work. I am a high school teacher which means timing will be critical (and possibly determine when will be the right time to transition full time). I'm at a public school where LGBT rights are protected so no major issues there (fingers crossed) and planning on talking to the school counselor first before talking to the principal to have some other people on my side.

It seems overwhelming at times, but each reveal has come with a huge sense of relief, like a weight being lifted off my shoulders as I get closer and closer to living the life I want to live.
  •  

Kendra

Ah yes, weight lifting.  Sounds like things are going well and you will find out who your true friends are.

If you have family members that were unsupportive for other important issues, frankly I'd just let them know as an FYI and move on.  Oh by the way I have gender dysphoria.  And did you know some people are left handed. 

Spend the time, energy and thoughtful conversations with people who care about you.
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

wanderingaddy

Thank you for the advice [emoji4]
  •