Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Too hairy...and too bald

Started by Jennifer M, August 23, 2018, 12:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer M

The suggestion was to spread my TMI out, so here goes. I suppose it helps inflate my post count. ;)

Some of my biggest physical concerns about transitioning have to do with my hair, both its presence and absence.

My family line has every baldness gene known to science, and they attacked with a vengeance. It's too late to save the top of my head, something I didn't realize because there was no one to tell me it was happening. The dermatologist says it's terminal. I found a place that offers "hair replacement systems" (pieces) and I'm trying one right now. It's not working well; the attachment keeps peeling off (should last 30 days, I made 10). But I will never, ever be able to have a full head of natural hair again. This has aggravated my depression.

The flip side of the cosmic practical joke is thick, dark hair everywhere except the one place I want it. I paid $180 to get my limbs and chest waxed and two weeks later it looked like they hadn't been touched. I have spent upwards of three years and $4000 on 27 (and counting) laser removal appointments on my face alone. And the red spots all over my legs don't help.

•  

big kim

Are you on HRT? This makes a difference, I went from bear to bare after 3 or 4 body waxes. HRT filled in a small bald patch at the crown after about a year.
  •  

Jennifer M

I am not on HRT (yet, anyway). My worry, as expressed through my many many MANY sessions with laser, is that the hormones alone will not be enough to reduce the fur on my chest and the forests everywhere else.

My patch is not small. It's been going on for years.

•  

Kendra

Which specific type (or types) of laser are you using?  And what is your color contrast - natural hair color vs. skin tone?
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Jennifer M

The type of laser is...I don't know, the kind that focuses on a little area at a time and goes zap.

The contrast is big. My skin is probably best described as Generic White Person, but my hair is next door to None More Black. And I mean that in the most literal way - the shade of hair for the hairpiece is the second-darkest available.

•  

LizK

Hi Jennifer

Have you considered hair implants? They take a piece of scalp from the back of your head where its normally thickest and the divide the hairs up and implant them individually...it is very effective...but just one way to deal with it. I have have had about 22 laser session on my face and about 50 hours of Electrolysis and I am still requiring laser and another 20 hours of Electrolysis to really finish it off effectively. If you don't think you are getting a good result with he laser try another technician or salon...I did and discovered I was being given "IPL" and not "Laser" to which there is a massive difference in results. I hope you can find a solution.

Take care

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Kendra

If you call the salon ask them what type of laser they have been using on you - and they should be able to tell you.  Diode, YAG, etc. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Jennifer M

Hair implants are definitely not in my budget range.

I have another question. In addition to my limbs, my chest/stomach is covered with dark fur. Is HRT going to take care of that? Or am I going to be in a situation where I have (ewww) hairy breasts? I can only imagine, given the sensitivities of growing breasts, how painful it would be to also have to start/continue getting my chest waxed.

•  

Chloe

Quote from: Jennifer M on August 24, 2018, 10:25:25 AMMy worry . . . is that the hormones alone will not be enough to reduce the fur

Hormones alone might not but the right anti-antigen most probably will. What Kim said is correct, typically excess body hair disappears. All that body waxing, laser is totally unnecessary.
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

Jennifer M

Quote from: Kendra on August 25, 2018, 09:36:42 AM
If you call the salon ask them what type of laser they have been using on you - and they should be able to tell you.  Diode, YAG, etc.
This one:

Alexandrite Laser Hair Removal: Everything you need to know

"8 to 12" treatments is such a blatant lie I should investigate truth-in-advertising charges as I'm closing in on 30 and the hairs on my chinny-chin-chin are still mocking me.

But then, they're probably expecting a more female clientele.

Kiera and Kim, I hope you're right. Waxing right now is just throwing money away.  :(

•  

Kendra

I switched to electrolysis for my face early in the process after finding laser failed to kill my testosterone-fueled beard. 

Electrolysis is expensive and tedious but is the only thing I found works permanently on thick roots.  For some things, there are no good shortcuts.
  •  

KathyLauren

Laser is not usually considered permanent.  For some people it is, and for most it isn't.  The only method that is known to be permanent is electrolysis.

HRT will most likely significantly reduce your body hair.  How much is "significantly" varies.  Mine went from not very much to none.  You might find you have a major reduction in body hair, or you may not notice much of a difference.  Results vary considerably.  What remains will probably be sparser and lighter in colour.

HRT can also slow down the growth of facial hair.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •