Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Is prison rehabilitation?

Started by Angelic, August 23, 2018, 11:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelic

Prison seems like a place for violent masculine males to become more violent and masculine, feminine males to either be put in solitary confinement for their own protection, and/or raped, and transsexuals to be stuck in places that corrode and toxify their gender identities.

I would like to see what exactly is rehabilitating about prison, is it the mental illness caused from constant paranoia of being shanked, the mental illness caused from having to shank, or the mental illness caused be either being raped, or put in solitary confinement.

Perhaps it is either the prison food, the cigarettes, hard drugs, or the 20 cent an hour wages of hard labor, that causes such improved mental states during their state in the fine establishment, or perhaps the monotone, cold and decaying walls they have to stare at all day.
Intolerables, everywhere...cannot escape them.
  •  

Angelic

Quote from: gingerViktorKay on August 23, 2018, 11:21:28 PM
Success is defined by the numbers.
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-norways-prison-system-is-so-successful-2014-12
I am American, so let's limit this discussion to the American region.

If America upgraded its prisons to Norwegian standards, it would be better, no doubt.
  •  

GingerVicki

Quote from: Angelic on August 23, 2018, 11:01:41 PM
I would like to see what exactly is rehabilitating about prison, is it the mental illness caused from constant paranoia of being shanked, the mental illness caused from having to shank, or the mental illness caused be either being raped, or put in solitary confinement.

Well in the US you can't smoke in prison.

I've met some peckerwoods who were able to smuggle cigarette tobacco in and made good money. If you play the games, that is when you get shanked. If you play the games, that's when you get jumped. If you are hot and not affiliated in the joint you will have problems. You have to have a click. That is right everyone group showers. There is safety in numbers if it's that deep.

Transgendered people in prison don't wear orange. Where I am at they wear green, which is PC. Also known as protective custody. The same place where the snitches and child molesters are.

You know a better option is not to break the law and these problems will not be an issue. I understand addiction and I know the struggles. Should an addict be in jail? Probably rehab would be better, but then again many places have drug court so...
  •  

GingerVicki

The Norway is an example and if you would like to see America's for profit prisons changed. Start working towards it. One way to prevent for profit prisons is to vote Democrat.
  •  

Sarahthenerd

In America prison is an overused, under funded, and often inhumane experience. The saying is criminals go to prison to become better criminals. And guards only had the fortune to get there without chains. It's a situation where brutality is a requirement regardless the uniform. And if you expect survive you better be able to navigate two different sets of conflicting rules.

Rehabilitation services are extremely lacking, violence is inevitable inside, and dam sure someone is profiting off it all.

Your lucky if you get paid for forced labor. And the stigma attached can even hinder the lives of successfully rehabilitated individuals after release.

Reform is needed not just inside but out side the razor wire.

Just my 2 cent.

Sent from my P00A using Tapatalk

•  

GingerVicki

Quote from: Sarahthenerd on August 23, 2018, 11:46:59 PM
In America prison is an overused, under funded, and often inhumane experience. The saying is criminals go to prison to become better criminals. And guards only had the fortune to get there without chains. It's a situation where brutality is a requirement regardless the uniform. And if you expect survive you better be able to navigate two different sets of conflicting rules.

Rehabilitation services are extremely lacking, violence is inevitable inside, and dam sure someone is profiting off it all.

Your lucky if you get paid for forced labor. And the stigma attached can even hinder the lives of successfully rehabilitated individuals after release.

Reform is needed not just inside but out side the razor wire.

Just my 2 cent.

For many people they do their time in prison then do their time on parole, which is like walking on egg shells. That record follows for 10 years. Even if it is a misdemeanor.

The math is cruel. If you mess up and do two years really you are doing 12. Two on the inside and ten on the outside. Many employers do not touch Felony conviction and the list is growing for misdemeanors.

I denied a job for minor in possession of alcohol and it wasn't even a driving job. Where does it end?
  •  

itsApril

The US has more than two million people in jail or prison on any given day.  This works out to be the highest per capita imprisonment rate in the world.  More people are in prison in the US than in China, even though China has five times the population and is a highly repressive society in most ways.

Some interesting comparisons and data are here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

We lock people up with great enthusiasm here.  But do we feel safe?  We do NOT!

Clearly, we are doing something wrong.  I think gingerViktorKay is on the right track.  We should take a good, long look at Norway . . .
-April
  •  

GingerVicki

Quote from: itsApril on August 24, 2018, 01:45:17 PM
The US has more than two million people in jail or prison on any given day.  This works out to be the highest per capita imprisonment rate in the world.  More people are in prison in the US than in China, even though China has five times the population and is a highly repressive society in most ways.

Some interesting comparisons and data are here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

We lock people up with great enthusiasm here.  But do we feel safe?  We do NOT!

Clearly, we are doing something wrong.  I think gingerViktorKay is on the right track.  We should take a good, long look at Norway . . .

I possibly have a unique experience on this topic because I was a Correctional Officer for a while. I've seen both 'Wet' and 'Dry' homeless shelters. I've seen what drug rehab programs offer both paid and free. I've had many conversations with relapsed addicts and prostitutes. I've seen success and failures. One of the biggest failures that I saw then was people gave up went off their medications. Some of their situations are absolutely horrible.

The drug Ice does so much damage. More than one person who I've spoken to said that it ruined their life. I spoke to a beautiful young addict, who was a prostitute, and described it to me as the best orgasm ever.

sorry. rant over.
  •  

Sarahthenerd

I've worked in shelters too. It seems like there is a lack of interest in giving real opportunities for change, instead it's a revolving door between jail and shelters. Types who do care and want to help don't have enough funds to make any reasonable difference. I've seen people loose health insurance because of not having a mailing address. And making situations worse. I've had to throw out people because of dry rules, only to find out they were arrested for vibrancy after. I've testified to get individuals with mental health needs into hospitals because the shelters are not equipped to deal with them. I've seen families torn apart and abuse victims escape only to fall into into depression and and loose everything.

The connection to homelessness and prison/jail is sucks.

Working in a shelter is the most difficult thing I ever done. I don't suggest it unless you can do it without emotion. And must have a thick skin. It can be rewarding, but it takes a toll. I could imagine its similar for anyone working in corrections.

•  

Dani

I worked in corrections for 7 years and I could not stand it so I left.

There is a very good reason that US prisons are called Grad School for Thugs.

The inmates mainly just sit around and talk about their crimes, especially how they could have done the crime better next time. What we have here is impromptu seminars on how to commit better undetectable crimes.

Not much different from Cool Hand Luke.
  •  

Angelic

Dunno what to say. I feel sick.
  •