News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Which hurts less

Started by Emma1017, August 24, 2018, 12:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma1017

Ok had my first electrolysis yesterday. 

It really hurt but not as bad as I thought it would be.  The real "pain" is understanding I have a long way to go...ouch!

Fortunately my beard is mostly grey so I am having laser on the dark hairs and have the electrolysis focused on the grey ones.

I salute all of you that have done this!

Electrolysis is proof of the power of transitioning.  Who in their right mind would go through all this?

Honestly even with the pain I felt relief starting the process but I keep pushing back against this transition freight train as it slowly keeps rolling down the track.  I am still not ready to stop fighting transitioning.  I continue to stubbornly hope I can find a compromise much to the quiet smiles of those who know better.

Hugs,

Emma
  •  

KatieP

Quote from: Emma1017 on March 29, 2019, 06:58:58 AM

It really hurt but not as bad as I thought it would be.  The real "pain" is understanding I have a long way to go...ouch!

Fortunately my beard is mostly grey so I am having laser on the dark hairs and have the electrolysis focused on the grey ones.

Electrolysis is proof of the power of transitioning.  Who in their right mind would go through all this?

Honestly even with the pain I felt relief starting the process but I keep pushing back against this transition freight train as it slowly keeps rolling down the track.  I am still not ready to stop fighting transitioning.  I continue to stubbornly hope I can find a compromise much to the quiet smiles of those who know better.

Hugs,

Emma

Are you doing all the "steps?" At least 4% lidocaine cream 15 minutes before, ibuprophen an hour before (max therapeutic dose...), no coffee at least 4 hours before, well hydrated always.

These seem to be the keys to getting through each session...

Good luck!!

Kate
  •  

Emma1017

Thanks Katie.  Great information.  Is the 4% lidocaine cream over the counter?

•  

TonyaW

Quote from: Emma1017 on March 29, 2019, 08:39:59 AM
Thanks Katie.  Great information.  Is the 4% lidocaine cream over the counter?
You in the US? I forget.  It is OTC,  least expensive is Aspercreme.  Also in first aid section there is a burn gei with 4% lidocaine.  Forget the name right now. 
Elma is prescription but worked  better for me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

KatieP

Quote from: TonyaW on March 29, 2019, 09:10:40 AM
You in the US? I forget.  It is OTC,  least expensive is Aspercreme.  Also in first aid section there is a burn gei with 4% lidocaine.  Forget the name right now. 
Elma is prescription but worked  better for me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The Aspercreme (with Lidocaine! there are multiple versions) and Motrin is a good first step, since it is cheap and all OTC. If that is not enough, your doctor may well prescribe the topical analgesic from a phone call or email. Many people talk about BLT (Benzocaine, Lidocaine, T<something>caine) being the best option, but that requires a compounding pharmacy and likely more convincing...

Kate

Edit: Oh. And with the popularity of tattoos these days, you can always use that as an explanation for why you want the product. As well, if you search for tattoo topical analgesic, , you will find all the same products. Might help...
  •  

Emma1017

Thanks Katie and Tonya!

Like I said to Moni and Kim, I feel like the little sister getting advice from the older ones (even if I am really the oldest in years).

My next appointment is next Friday.  I will now go properly armed!
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Quote from: Emma1017 on March 29, 2019, 06:58:58 AM

Hugs,

Emma

I started electrolysis on 31 Jan 2017. Initially two hours a week, but I stepped up to three hours a week in Aug 2018. During my first two sessions I had tears running down my face the whole time. I mentioned to my electrologist that this was definitely something you don't do on a whim. I also had about 50/50 grey and dark hairs, and I went with both laser (for dark) and electrolysis (for grey). I have had 13 laser treatments, with #14 scheduled in April. I think the laser does help, but there are some exceptionally stubborn dark hairs around my mouth that are not getting the message. On occasion my electrologist hits those as well.

It does get better, and less painful. After a few months I began falling asleep during my electrolysis sessions. Taking ibuprofen about an hour ahead of time helps. The 'BLT' cream is benzocaine, lidocaine, and tetracaine. The place I go for laser treatments gave me a prescription for it. The cream does help, but don't ever expect this to be painless.

I wasn't quite sure where I would end up once I started, but personally I never liked the idea of a compromise. This is a very personal journey for each of us, and only you will know when you reach the point that makes you happy (said while smiling quietly).

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Emma1017

Thank you for your thoughts Jessica.

I really appreciate the the guidance totally accepting that my solution may vary.  We start off being dropped into a very dark confusing tunnel.  Each person who helps light the way, even for a little while, helps to take away the loneliness and helps me come to my solution.

18 months ago I could never envision that I would be where I am.  Although I as still struggling, I am not as lost as I once was in my own hell.  This website has a lot great people willing to help and guide.

You are one of them.

Thanks,

Emma
  •  

HappyMoni

Quote from: Emma1017 on March 28, 2019, 08:57:32 PM
Ok Kim and Moni:

I have decided I am not transgender....I am Tahitian. 

I don't care what religion you are, Kim and I still love you.

Quote from: Emma1017 on March 28, 2019, 08:57:32 PM

Now leave me alone! ;D ;

Yeah, that's probably not gonna happen!  ;D

Welcome to the electrocution club, lil' sis!
Moni

If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

KimOct

Oh my, look at all that I missed.  Including Moni agreeing with me ???!!!!  The Armageddon has arrived  ;D

Damn normal Mon thru Fri job getting in the way of my time on the forum.  I need to re-examine my priorities.

Well..... it sounds like you have gotten educated on beard removal.  Yep laser no bueno on the grey ones.  Welcome to the electro club.

My regular doc prescribes me the lidocaine.  It's worth it but not that much better than the OTC stuff IMO.  All the other advice was also good.

It does get better.  The first visit is a surprise -   'surprise !!! it hurts "  :D
When you go in knowing what to expect it is easier.

Also talking when the tech is working in a spot that you can at least move your lips helps.  My poor tech - I talk her ear off to take my mind off the pain.

If you are willing to submit yourself to electro then you are through the looking glass.

My standard electro disclosure for anybody even thinking of doing mass electro clearings.  DON'T !!!
If you want the whole story PM me.
The first transphobe you have to conquer is yourself
  •  

Emma1017

I just told my son...he told me he loved me and that he is OK with everything.  We talked for a while and he gave a massive hug. 

He is coming for dinner on Sunday.

This is good crying  :)
  •  

LizK

Lovely...what a great outcome
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

KimOct

Quote from: Emma1017 on March 29, 2019, 07:29:21 PM
I just told my son...he told me he loved me and that he is OK with everything.  We talked for a while and he gave a massive hug. 

I am so happy reading this !!!!!  I know you are 5 years older than me but I feel like one of my children just came and told me life changing good news.

NOW THIS IS A MILESTONE !!!!  Way to go Emma !!!!
  •  

HappyMoni

Emma, fantastic news! Good things do happen to good people! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Rayna

I'm so happy for you that your son accepts you. It is such a relief to have that close family support. He will always be your son (will you always be his dad???  I heard an interesting podcast by Denise Bowker (here on the site somewhere) where she talks about her sons calling her dad in public (with her approval) but also using she/her pronouns in the same sentence.)  I'm thinking by one year out, you will already be greatly changed...
If so, then why not?
  •  

KimOct

Well speaking of children I need to jump off here to go see my daughter YAY.  Before I go... everybody is different on this and it truly is a matter of personal preference.  I know people all over the spectrum.  Some go with 2 Moms some go with Mama (Kim) others go with just first name etc etc.

What I do is I tell them to call me Dad at home, on the phone, in the car etc - in private.  I have asked that when in public to call me Kim if in earshot of other people.  Just the way I am comfortable.  I am not their Mom but I will always be their Dad regardless of my gender orientation.

I tend to be pretty opinionated but on this one I think it is just a matter of preference.

OH Yeah.....
GO EMMA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  •  

Emma1017

Thank you all for your overwhelmingly positive support.  It really means a lot!

Really not sure what's next.  I have really filled up my plate.

I'm pretty sure I can stay stealth for a year but I am also sure there will be some leakage...enough to sink the good ship S.S.STEALTH...?????

I'm sure there are some serious betting odds out there and a lot of those quiet knowing smiles....

Massive hugs,

Emma
  •  

Jessica_Rose

That is awesome news Emma!

I have told my daughters to just call me 'Jessica'. My wife is their mom. Although I will always be their dad, I don't want them calling me that in public. Using my name just seems so much simpler, and they are less likely to say something in public that may draw unwanted attention.
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

HappyMoni

Quote from: Emma1017 on March 30, 2019, 01:49:51 PM
Thank you all for your overwhelmingly positive support.  It really means a lot!

Really not sure what's next.  I have really filled up my plate.

I'm pretty sure I can stay stealth for a year but I am also sure there will be some leakage...enough to sink the good ship S.S.STEALTH...?????

I'm sure there are some serious betting odds out there and a lot of those quiet knowing smiles....

Massive hugs,

Emma

;D ;D ;D    So what is the pool up to now?  I have January 10th.   ;D ;D Everybody, anti up! lol

My sons call me Moni. It is way simpler to have only one name I think. It is pronounced very similar to Mommy but I am not their Mom. Close enough for me though! Instead of Father's Day we have Moni Day. Works well!

Hugs

]
  •  

KimOct

Back home for a couple hours then off to my twice a month trans-group.  Fun.

So Jan 10th.  Hmmm.  I heard the Vegas odds line has moved a bit.  I should play the 'Price is Right' strategy and take Jan 9th.  My ante is a pair of lightly used fake boobs  :D

Moni and I being knuckleheads aside.....  Emma your path will appear to you when it is time.
  •