Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Which hurts less

Started by Emma1017, August 24, 2018, 12:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: Emma1017 on April 02, 2019, 06:35:31 AM
Why do I bother fighting?

I know that I will transition.  It is just a matter of when.  I said on Kristen's thread regarding the "point of no return" that:

"This process is a constant battle between our hearts and minds.  As much as I hate to admit it I know that I will also hit my personal point of no return.  I am trying to delay it but I know it is coming.

You and I know that we can't stop the joy we feel as we see the changes that we have waited a lifetime to experience."

I accept that I am transgender but I keep fighting transitioning.  My mind says "NO" and my heart clearly says "YES". 
I know with each passing day "NO" is slowly fading away. 

This rough, past year has proven that to me.  This next one should be a dozy.

Hugs,

Emma

In a nutshell Emma! Couldn't have put it better myself! I keep telling myself that HRT is allowing me to be as physically and mentally female as possible-  I'm not missing the boat, but, .... the woman in me is kicking my ass in !

Yours torturously,  Kirsten.
As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

Emma1017

Kirsten, first my apology for misspelling your name.  I am really sorry.

You were absolutely right when you asked about the "point of no return".  For me it is surgery.  Everything else is physically reversible.

What is irreversible are the mental changes.  I now know who I am and I will not ever wall it up again!

The tragedy for us is the shock, pain and suffering we inflict on those we love around us.  I get angry when I realize that I have done nothing wrong but yet being transgender means I am a social outcast and those associated with me, that love me, are forced to endure the pity, shame and thoughtless comments of others. 

They are the innocents.

My anger and my need to physically express who I am, may (or probably will) force me to physically change.  I know I will need the massive strength that I have witnessed on this site by all those who have already soared past the point of no return. 

My only hope is that my strength and my ultimate conviction will carry those that I love forward with me.  I need to be stronger for them. 

I hope I am and I hope that they will continue to need me in their lives.

Hugs,

Emma

•  

Emma1017

My sadness is different.

Before I took spiro and HRT my sadness was very angry.  Never against any person, ever, but against inanimate objects like walls.  My knuckles have marked the few I never repaired. My anger was intense.  When I was younger I was involved in bar fights.  I never flinched, ever, if challenged.

Without drama, when I turned 21 and was in a relationship, I made the overt decision that unless I was willing to kill someone, I was not going to fight any more.  I had to be willing to go to jail.  My fighting stopped.

When I was a kid I lived in a very aggressive world and I left it successfully.

I grew up but that anger was always there but controlled.

Now I find that anger has been replaced with a strange sadness.  Right now I am tearing up.  I have no particular reason other than my life.  I am not happy where I am.  Strangely I am not punching walls, I am crying.

I am really very OK with it.  I can't be alone with this change.

Is this happening to you?  Have we all been victimized by our testosterone levels battling with our gender wiring?

I'd rather cry
  •  

Emma1017

now I know why women hug...God I need one now.....
  •  

Emma1017

•  

Jessica_Rose

Emma, although I never got into bar fights or hit anyone out of anger, I had to repair quite a few walls myself. Sometimes if a wall wasn't handy a file cabinet or some other inanimate object would suffice. The anger I carried slowly grew for decades, eventually it became so powerful I became frightened I would hurt someone. I considered taking my own life to end the pain, and the lives of people I loved so they wouldn't have to live with the pain of my suicide. I think we can agree that tears are preferable to anger.

My tears lasted for several months, and sometimes feeling the pain and sorrow of others like us can cause those tears to return. I cry for all those years I lost in anger and rage. I cry for those who were hurt by my actions. I cry for the years I spent hiding who I was. There are too many reasons to list...

Have a few hugs Emma --- (((HUG)))   (((HUG)))   (((HUG)))

We can't change our past, but we can live the rest of our lives as the person we were meant to be. Continue on your journey, you will find joy.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

HappyMoni

Quote from: Emma1017 on April 03, 2019, 07:13:58 AM

The tragedy for us is the shock, pain and suffering we inflict on those we love around us.  I get angry when I realize that I have done nothing wrong but yet being transgender means I am a social outcast and those associated with me, that love me, are forced to endure the pity, shame and thoughtless comments of others.

Slow down a bit Emma. Sure some folks do see this kind of thing, but it is by no means a guarantee that it will be that way for you. Much has to do with where you live. I have gotten tremendous support from multiple areas of my life. No one has been nasty to me, at least to my face. I wouldn't assume your scenario above for yourself. I have had multiple people become more open, more tolerant because of what they have experienced with my change. The world in my little corner of the world has been improved by transitioning.
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

HappyMoni

George Addair quote       "Everything you've ever wanted is on the other side of fear."

Saw this today and it is so true.

Hugs,
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Emma1017

Jessica I am so glad you found peace.  You and your loved ones deserve it!

I overcame my anger by sheer will.  This explosion of emotion occurred with my panic attacks.  I finally sought help when  I started to think suicide was a way to spare my family...in hind sight how stupid.  Thankfully I realized I needed and got help.

I agree, anger is destructive to ourselves and potentially to those around us.  I am glad the both of us found better paths.  I like crying better!

and thank you for the hugs  :)

Moni I totally get your point but for each of us who have not reached the point of no return, the process is so raw and fearful that you only believe the worst.

Moni you and Jessica have soared past the point of no return....the edge of the "cliff" still scares me.

Thank you both for holding my hand...at least I know I am not a lemming ;D

Hugs,

Emma

•  

KimOct

I want to piggyback on what Moni said.  Over the last few months I have been preaching on this thread to both Emma and the others reading about internalized transphobia.  I think the fault lies with me that my point is misunderstood.

I strongly believe Emma that the reason you are feeling the way you describe above is two-fold.

1.  The fear of the unknown.  It manifests itself in many ways in life not just this journey.  Additionally you are not totally in control of this process.  Your steps - HRT, surgery etc sure you control that but you can't control the thoughts, words or actions of others therefore there is a great uncertainty of how this will play out and you can't control that part hence - you ruminate about it.  How do I know?  Because I did it.  Most people do.

2.  The internalized transphobia.  I argue most of us have it to a greater or lesser degree.  Internalized transphobia is NOT the hatred of transpeople.  What it is, is the internalized feelings of what society has taught us about gender nonconforming people ie: transgender people. 

Why do we anticipate many of the things you mention above such as being a social outcast, pity, shame etc?  Because we have been conditioned by society and the world around us that is what is thought of people like us.
All of the comedies you have seen (MASH Klinger in a dress) on and on and on.  Jokes in conversation.  People referred to as crazy.  Less than 30 years ago this was still a disorder in psychiatric reference books and text books.

We have been conditioned to think there is something wrong with us and we should be ashamed.  That is why I keep telling you that you have internalized transphobia.  Not because you lack courage or are a bigot or any other such stupid thing.  You have absorbed the message that society has been sending you your entire life.

The challenge is to break through and reject all of this Bull$#!+.   Society is beginning to awaken and we have to keep paving the path for ourselves.

Accept that you have been brainwashed by internalized transphobia and then reject it.
OK I am done.  Sending you love and huge HUGS !!!
The first transphobe you have to conquer is yourself
  •  

Emma1017

Kim:

I absolutely agree with the two points you made.  Unquestionably I am a victim of fear and conditioning.  This entire year plus has been me coming to grips with them and probably why I keep torturing everyone, including you, as I slowly, painfully re-condition my emotions and thoughts while I build up the courage to go forward.

As I said in this thread at the beginning of last year:  "It is not a choice.  The female gender was hardwired in me before birth and then buried under layers of male hormones, male socialization, gender programming and personal denial."  That's a big wall to tear down.

The key thing I know is that I am making progress.  I hope that reading this thread at least shows that.

It doesn't mean I am totally purged of my fears.  Unfortunately, my time line of waiting a year plus from now for any surgery means that I will continue to doubt myself but I have purged the shame.

The "the pity, shame and thoughtless comments of others" I mentioned is regarding the ones who love me, i.e. my wife, who will have to deal with the "others".  She is at a disadvantage.  She doesn't have the 63 years of repressed thought combined with a year of 24/7 processing that I have.  She has tremendous courage but this is a lot to ask.  As I said earlier I need to be stronger and my commitment must be stronger for her.

The "others" are those who are light years away from ever understanding what we have gone through.  They will be there and they will verbalize their ignorance.  I agree with you that it is "Bull$#!+" but I strongly believe the more vocal and visible we are the more accepting society will become and that ignorance will increasingly begin to dissipate. 

I also totally know that I will get love, support and understanding from many people when I transition.  I learned this from you and everyone who have shared with me here.  I hope I am shocked by the numbers of supporters.  My heart will need them.

Thank you for your caring and support.

Hugs,

Emma

•  

KimOct

1. You are NOT torturing me.  I would not be participating if I did not want to.  You are worth it and so are those reading.

2. It is A LOT to ask of your wife.  She may or may not be up to it.  I do not know her.  I do know that if you don't do it you will not be someone that anyone will want to live with so this is your only choice IMHO.

Time to get ready for work.  It sure takes a lot longer in the morning than it used to.   ;D :D
  •  

Emma1017

The good news Kim is that my wife is still with me.  It gives me hope that she will believe that the value of our relationship is worth any difficulties transitioning will cause.

After my first electrolysis appointment I know I am ready for any pain stupid comments could possibly cause me! :)

•  

KatieP

Quote from: Emma1017 on April 04, 2019, 10:07:16 AM
The good news Kim is that my wife is still with me.  It gives me hope that she will believe that the value of our relationship is worth any difficulties transitioning will cause.

After my first electrolysis appointment I know I am ready for any pain stupid comments could possibly cause me! :)

If only there was a 4% lidocaine for stupid comments...

;D

Kate
  •  

Emma1017

•  

Jessica_Rose

Quote from: Emma1017 on April 04, 2019, 10:07:16 AM

Trying to ignore stupid comments can be tough. We need auditory blinders -- like hearing aids which can filter out the stupid things. Unfortunately wearing them in public may cause you to think the world had fallen silent.

Try taking the advice of this slightly altered lyric from 'The Boxer' by Simon and Garfunkel:
"... a [person] hears what [they] want to hear and disregards the rest" 

Kind of like looking into a mirror, you only see what you want to see. Once you learn to ignore the things you don't like, transitioning becomes a bit easier. Unfortunately is it easy to slip back into our old patterns where we only hear and see the things which can cause pain. Nothing about this is easy, which is why we are here -- to help each other find strength.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Emma1017

ah Jessica you hit the point, we just want to love and be loved.  We are asking nothing from anybody except simple acceptance.

It really is that simple. 

We really want nothing from anybody.  We didn't ask for this. We had no choice.  Why are we social lepers?

I find I have a growing pride having known you, Kim, Moni, Danielle, Kirsten and everyone else.  I want the courage you and everyone else has shown to help me to rise above my "point of no return".

I feel the joy of suddenly finding me.  I was buried for so long in shame and denial.  I am tired on apologizing to myself for what I perceived was my failure to be what everyone else thought I should be.  I finally have a chance to be me.

And I like me.

I shared with Kirsten recently the common joy of we felt just having breasts....why should we feel any guilt?  Doesn't that tell us this is what we should be?

Because of you all I understand that I will never, ever feel shame ever again!

With thanks and love,

Emma
  •  

KimOct

Quote from: KatieP on April 04, 2019, 03:57:26 PM
If only there was a 4% lidocaine for stupid comments...

;D

Kate

:D ;D :D
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

Its an honour to converse and share experience with you Emma.
As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

KimOct

Oh dear sweet Emma LOL  I am pretty sure you will feel the shame again it takes awhile to beat it into submission.

BUT I get what you are saying.  You are beginning to feel the strength (the force Moni  ;D )  but you are feeling the empowerment of what you know is true and where you can see yourself going.  That is GREAT !!

I was thinking about something related today as I walked through the concourse at the gigantic corporate campus I work at.  I get a few looks here and there but... whatever. No big deal.

I was thinking about how much it used to bother me.  3 years ago it scared the crap out of me.

Here is my issue - one of my biggest flaws is that I always needed everyone to like me, accept me, love me.  I spent most of my life living this... it is exhausting.  Many people could care less what other people think.  Most are somewhere in between.

If someone like me that needed EVERYONE'S approval can find the courage to do this I GUARANTEE everyone reading this can do so to.  There is a reason I harp on this topic - because I was the one that was scared silly.  If I can do it anybody can.

Emma - I am so glad you are knocking the crap out the 'Shame Monster' - you are getting there.
  •